Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes
    Banned

Global Posts
    527 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default U.S. consulting giant drops BlackBerry

U.S. consulting giant drops BlackBerry - thestar.com

Booz Allen Hamilton Inc., whose 25,000 staff provide consulting services to the U.S. government, has dropped BlackBerry maker Research In Motion Ltd. as its smartphone supplier.

Booz Allen has started decommissioning the firm’s dedicated BlackBerry server that runs those devices and plans to move staff onto iPhones made by Apple Inc., and other handsets that run Google Inc.’s Android operating system in the coming months, James Fisher, a Booz Allen spokesman, said in an interview.

Staff not issued devices can continue to opt for a BlackBerry, though he declined to break down the proportion of issued handsets versus personal phones at the McLean, Virginia-based company.

The move is a knock to Waterloo, Ontario-based RIM because its sterling reputation for security had helped shore up BlackBerry loyalty in government circles even as sales plummet elsewhere. Its market share has fallen as customers in the U.S. tire of waiting for its twice-delayed BlackBerry 10 phones due out in early 2013 to replace its current lineup.

Booz Allen provides management and technology advice to the U.S. Army, Navy, Air Force and Department of Homeland Security. Its parent company Booz Allen Hamilton Holding Corp. last year had sales of $5.86 billion (U.S.), the “vast majority” of which comes from government consulting, Fisher said.

Other smaller government agencies are also looking at BlackBerry alternatives. The General Services Administration procures more than $70 billion (U.S.) worth of products and services for other federal agencies a year. Since February, those eligible for a smartphone among its staff are entitled to ask for iPhone and Android devices. The company employed 12,635 at that time.

The U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration said in February it plans to begin replacing the BlackBerrys it issues with iPhones as the Apple devices can be integrated into its current infrastructure more cheaply than paying for a dedicated BlackBerry server.

RIM continues to work closely with its more than 1 million government customers in North America alone, Crystal Roberts, a company spokeswoman, said by telephone today.

Scott Totzke, senior vice-president for BlackBerry security, said in April that sales to U.S. federal agencies are rising and the BlackBerry is still a White House fixture.
    Thanked by:
    richardat (10-18-2012) 
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,332 Global Posts

Default Re: U.S. consulting giant drops BlackBerry

Funny how all these "newspapers" are so quick to write about negative news but don't mention any of the good stuff. What's more funny is how vague the article really is. Offers no real details on quantities of smartphones we're talking about here. Whatever gets more clicks.
    morganplus8 and Jonesy1966 like this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    717 Global Posts

FWIW, I am a consultant in one of the same environmental compliance fields, have met enough of their staff over the years, attend a lot of the same DOD conferences, and can't remember ever seeing one of their people carrying a BlackBerry. Noting 25,000 employees does not mean 25,000 people with company phones. They, like many consulting firms, are also doing major cost cutting at the moment and what is actually likely to happen (regardless of spin) is a switch to BYOD. While that is still not great for RIM, it is not about them but about the continuing effort to pass expenses and the cost of doing business onto employees. I also expect to see some of those companies at RIM's door (if they get things together and hold out), and at Microsoft's door when it becomes clear that there are other levels of costs, plus the security issues, when going BYOD particularly with Android. I suggest RIM and Microsoft because both offer infrastructure, security, and corporate scalability that Android can never offer.
    Thanked by 3:
    Jonesy1966 (10-19-2012),  Shanerredflag (10-18-2012),  Superfly_FR (10-18-2012) 

Global Posts
    9,327 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey, what did you expect ?

so, we can read this :
    "RIM continues to work closely with its more than 1 million government customers in North America alone, Crystal Roberts, a company spokeswoman, said by telephone today.
    Scott Totzke, senior vice-president for BlackBerry security, said in April that sales to U.S. federal agencies are rising and the BlackBerry is still a White House fixture."

25K won't change the face of the world. Same story than the Aussie (?) Planes company ... "the frog who wants to be as big as beef".

P.S: (scale) Deloitte : 182.000 employees worldwide. That's "giant".
    Join my BBM Channel : C00035FA6
    "I speak English like a Spanish Cow"
    I'm a StockBerrian, proudly holding 50 150 250 400 550 1000 BlackBerry shares
    abwan11 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    32FE97BA

Wow. Not good.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry User

Is it just me or when reading this article, the author seems to tie Booz Hamilton to "other smaller government agencies"?
    Banned

Global Posts
    717 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by arrodiii View Post
    Is it just me or when reading this article, the author seems to tie Booz Hamilton to "other smaller government agencies"?
    Actually, that is bizarre phrasing in the article. The implication is almost that they are a smaller government agency. While it may look that way at times to some of us smaller consultants, they really are just a contractor, mostly in the DoD realm. They are also among the most expensive of all the consultants; hence, the need to do cost cutting as mandatory DoD budget cuts approach at the end of the year.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I just retired from the miltary after 20 years and everyone and thier mother's brother in the Dept of Defense is using BB devices......I seriously doubt the accuracy of this article.
    "Every tradition constructed by human beings is subject to ossified arrogance, blinding pomposity and outright bigotry. That is true not just for Judaism, not just for Christianity, not just for Islam, it is true for secular traditions as well."

Dr. Cornel West
    Thanked by:
    madman0141 (10-18-2012) 
    recompile and abwan11 like this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Well here is a company that should not be asked for advice on security!!! I guess they lived up to the booze portion of their name.
    Xader likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Good for them. Hope they only blame themselves when a phone with sensitive information is lost or stolen and it can't be wiped. Or the boss is waiting on an important communication and the email takes a half hour to receive and the answer was needed a half hour ago.

Jonesy1966 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN

Well when the apple phones get hacked and foreign governments start breaking through more the United States will respond...by asking China for a loan to go to war with them.
    [B]Real BlackBerry Phones Have Real Keyboards
    Q10 the finest BlackBerry
    btulk77 and Jonesy1966 like this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,529 Global Posts

In B4 "Lulz, what a terrible company. I hope they all get hacked. Nobody trust them."

Oh wait...
    CrackBerry Abuser

Very strange that this is news, do we hear about which brand of computer they use, or which brand of vehicles they lease for staff?
    CrackBerry Genius

25 000? RIM sells that many blackberries every few hours
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by abwan11 View Post
    Very strange that this is news, do we hear about which brand of computer they use, or which brand of vehicles they lease for staff?
    or what kind of filtered water gets delivered to their offices, or what kind of paper they use. Its so strange how the media is all over blackberry these past couple years.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by playbookster View Post
    or what kind of filtered water gets delivered to their offices, or what kind of paper they use. Its so strange how the media is all over blackberry these past couple years.
    I would understand if a new mobile contract was signed for either android/iphone but that isn't the case, so how does this e get reported. I guess the company made an announcement with a megaphone: "NOW HEAR THIS, DO NOT BRING YOUR BLACKBERRYS TO WORK, THAT IS ALL".
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,050 Global Posts

Falling all over yourselves to prove this is
    1) Nothing
    2) A one off, no other companies would ever THINK about dropping the beloved BlackBerry
    3) All part of the media conspiracy
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    971 Global Posts
    PIN
    I Don't Know You Like That!

Quote Originally Posted by dbollman423 View Post
    Good for them. Hope they only blame themselves when a phone with sensitive information is lost or stolen and it can't be wiped. Or the boss is waiting on an important communication and the email takes a half hour to receive and the answer was needed a half hour ago.

No need to Exaggerate. Also, you can remote wipe an iPhone and an Android phone.
    If your tired of someone's comments, why not just put them on Ignore

"While your computer's crashing, mine's multitasking, it does all my work without me even asking"
    mikeo007 and richardat like this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Bloomberg just reported along with the byod initiative they, Booz Allen Hamilton will be dropping the Allen Hamilton from their name in favour of Babes. All future dealings will be addressed to Booz n Babes,
    Jonesy1966 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

So are you worried about activesync? Are you sticking with the 9930?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,979 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by njblackberry View Post
    Falling all over yourselves to prove this is
    1) Nothing
    2) A one off, no other companies would ever THINK about dropping the beloved BlackBerry
    3) All part of the media conspiracy
    You're kind of falling all over yourself to point that out...on a Blackberry fan site...right?
    Thanked by:
    sam81 (10-18-2012) 
    sleepngbear likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

BAH does not issue phones to staff. At a certain level of seniority you had the ability to purchase the phone of your choice at a corporate discount through the carrier of choice. Regardless, more staff over time were not selecting BBs or dumped their BB for Android or iphone and therefore in these cost cutting times, shutting down the BES with fewer BBs in play appears to have made fiscal sense.
    Thanked by:
    qbnkelt (10-20-2012) 
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by richardat View Post
    So are you worried about activesync? Are you sticking with the 9930?
    Actually, I am very happy with my 9930. It is my brain away from my brain. I could not be happier and don't understand the need for BB10.

CrackBerry Genius

Actually, I am very happy with my 9930. It is my brain away from my brain. I could not be happier and don't understand the need for BB10.

That's cool. If it fills your needs that's all that matters.

EDIT: I take that back. You're BS'ing me. You stated before you were going to buy a BB10 device, you also said it brought "lots' to the table, and that you were eager to see photos and leaks. In addition f you were really that negative about activesync, you wouldn't be doing any of that.
    Last edited by richardat; 10-18-2012 at 11:49 PM.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,023 Global Posts

There is no comparison to BB security, try android... you can have your identity stolen by every app oh and you give the apps permission to steal your identity!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast