Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    For the ladies only :-)
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default U.S. BlackBerry Fans May Not See Q10 Until Late Q2

U.S. BlackBerry Fans May Not See Q10 Until Late Q2 - John Paczkowski - Mobile - AllThingsD

"BlackBerry diehards looking forward to purchasing the company’s new keyboard-equipped Q10 handset around its promised launch window of April may have to wait a month or two longer if they live in the U.S.
    That’s the latest from BlackBerry CEO Thorsten Heins, who tells the Associated Press that the Q10 isn’t likely to ship in the States until eight to 10 weeks after its its touchscreen-only sibling, the Z10, arrives at market.
    Currently, the Z10 is expected to make its U.S. debut sometime in mid-March. Eight to 10 weeks after that puts us in May or even June, which means the Q10 might not ship in the States until late-spring/early summer. I asked BlackBerry to confirm that release window, but a company spokesperson declined to do so.
    “We expect the first global carriers to launch the BlackBerry Q10 in April,” BlackBerry spokeswoman Amy McDowell told AllThingsD. “We will announce new pricing and availability information as carriers roll out around the world. We are working closely with our carrier partners to accelerate their testing process, but cannot offer any specifics on U.S. availability.”
    It’s clear, then, that the Q10′s stateside release date is something of a moving target.
    Not that there’s much to be done about it. Wireless carriers like AT&T and Verizon have extensive testing protocols for new devices that often take months to complete. When a new operating system must be vetted as well, that process becomes even more involved. BlackBerry might have been able to avoid the delay it’s suffering now if it had delivered the Z10 and Q10 to U.S. carriers earlier than it did. But it didn’t, and now there’s little to be done expedite the testing process. An unfortunate situation for BlackBerry, given the string of delays that put BlackBerry 10′s delivery more than a year behind schedule.
    “Am I a bit disappointed [by the delay],” said Heins. “Yeah, I would be lying saying no. But it is what it is, and we’re working with all our carrier partners to speed it up as much as we can.”
    "Let's sell this lean mean hunting machine!...in parts"
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    701 Global Posts

The Q10 is irrelevant in America though.
    Current phone: Q10/Nexus4
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    For the ladies only :-)
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

The Q10 or BB phones with keyboards still have their fan base, even in the US. delaying it will only hurt BB.
    "Let's sell this lean mean hunting machine!...in parts"
    jegs2 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Default Windows Phone Tops BlackBerry In U.S.

Windows Phone Tops BlackBerry In U.S. - Mobility - Smartphones -

"Microsoft Windows Phone overtook BlackBerry OS to become the third largest smartphone platform in the influential United States market during Q4 2012," reported Strategy Analytics. "It was the first time Microsoft has surpassed BlackBerry since 2006."
    Sooner which be much better for BB users and for BlackBerry the company.
    CrackBerry Genius

Default Re: U.S. BlackBerry Fans May Not See Q10 Until Late Q2

Quote Originally Posted by TheStoof View Post
    Love to know what planet you live on?

If for not only me but many others I am sure, this is the phone I am interested in more so that the all touch.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    CrackBerry User

I feel abused. This device is now coming to the US roughly 1 year after announcement, which is a lifetime in the mobile device world. I should have switched away to Android for the last year and then switched back if I felt I still needed a physical keyboard. Instead, I've been hanging on to this 9930 for "just a few more months." I should have kicked it to the curb last year.
    Saiga likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    701 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BoldtotheMax View Post
    Love to know what planet you live on?

If for not only me but many others I am sure, this is the phone I am interested in more so that the all touch.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    I'm far more interested in the Z10, and so is the majority of smartphone users. There are relatively few (but still plentiful) people who want a keyboard phone, especially one with a small screen size.
    Current phone: Q10/Nexus4
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    7,366 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scalemaster34 View Post
    Windows Phone Tops BlackBerry In U.S. - Mobility - Smartphones -

Sooner which be much better for BB users and for BlackBerry the company.
    Wow shocking considering people who would buy BlackBerry were waiting for the new phones and RIM's last high end offering was released over 15 months before that quarter . Now lets put this in perspective since the article you referenced has zero numbers for devices sold for Windows Phone. Windows Phone sold a whole 4.2 Million units globally in Q4 2012, and less than a Million (600,000 is the going number) in the US based on all analysts estimates (Microsoft stopped releasing numbers a while back). BlackBerry shipped 6.9 Million BBOS that quarter and reports are the end users bought 10 Million that quarter. BlackBerry will probably sell more Z10 than Window Phones when the Z10 is fully available. Should look even worse when you compare high end to high end offerings of each.
    Last edited by lnichols; 02-07-2013 at 07:31 AM.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,412 Global Posts

Before launch I was all for the Q10.....but now Im leaning more toward the Z10. I love my 9930 and the Q10 is similar, but the Z10 seems like a better choice for me. I personally think the Z10 looks nicer, and Im ready to try something new. I thought the release date would be a factor, but it doesn't matter because I cant upgrade until May.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    202 Global Posts

Switched to Android for the last 3 years, but was planning on switching back to the Q10. With that long of a wait though I'll probably end up going with another Android phone though. I was getting bored with Android, but a new OS update in May will probably be enough to keep me from going back to BB. :/
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    498 Global Posts

I just want to get rid of this iphone 5 and get a z10 in america though

to **** with the dumb home button!
    BergerKing likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    87 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheStoof View Post
    No way. Go to the BB FB page, there are gobs of Americans commenting on how they can't wait for the Q10, including this one who wants it in WHITE! Is that thing sexy or what? I can't wait!!!!!!!!!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    115 Global Posts

SMH, the Z10 I can handle being delayed in the US but now the Q10 too? Wth is going on? Eitherway people spin it, BlackBerry can't keep on giving the shaft to its US customers because frankly its the customers they need to be winning over. I am a big BB fan that lives in the US and I've said this in another thread and I'll say it again, it's becoming harder and harder to be a BB fan in the US when you are treated as a 2nd class citizen.
    Love what you do
    CrackBerry Master

I think they should just order a compatible one from Canada. Plus, they get the added advantage that the phone can be unlocked before the receive it and not get in trouble with the law.
    CrackBerry Master

Quote Originally Posted by SourBB View Post
    SMH, the Z10 I can handle being delayed in the US but now the Q10 too? Wth is going on? Eitherway people spin it, BlackBerry can't keep on giving the shaft to its US customers because frankly its the customers they need to be winning over. I am a big BB fan that lives in the US and I've said this in another thread and I'll say it again, it's becoming harder and harder to be a BB fan in the US when you are treated as a 2nd class citizen.
    The carriers in the US got the phones the same time the carriers in Canada and the UK got them. The carriers take longer in the US to approve them. Not sure whether it is them or government regulations that cause the additional testing time.
    Maybe they have to be tested to ensure they cannot be used by homegrown terrorists or something.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    931 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by timmy t View Post
    I think they should just order a compatible one from Canada. Plus, they get the added advantage that the phone can be unlocked before the receive it and not get in trouble with the law.
    So far only for GSM carriers. Those of us on a CDMA carrier are SOL for the time being.
    Retired CrackBerry Ambassador

Global Posts
    18,934 Global Posts
    PIN
    nahhhhh.....

Default Re: U.S. BlackBerry Fans May Not See Q10 Until Late Q2

How, pray tell, are you treated like a second class citizen by virtue of the phone you use? Come on now. I can understand frustration, but that was a bit of hyperbole.

Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and good with ketchup
    "When debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser" - Socrates
    iMore Ambassador
    Thanked by:
    Shlooky (02-07-2013) 
    Shlooky and Prince_Poppycock like this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

From all that has been posted here and other places the delay of the Z10 and Q10 is not a BlackBerry issue SourBB...this delay falls in the lap of our US carriers. So it's not BlackBerry treating you like a 2nd class citizen it's our US service providers. I suggest you take it up with them and get off BlackBerry's arse....just sayin.

Bob

BlackBerry Devices: 7130->Pearl 8100->Curve 8900->Bold 9700->Bold 9900->Q10 & Z10
    Tablet: PlayBook 64 GB
    CrackBerry User

You know what's really ridiculous? CrackBerry hasn't had a peep of this on their main page.

For a blog that covers all things BlackBerry, including every little press announcement or whisper from anyone higher than a Director at the company, you'd think they'd be all over a release date announcement, but no, not publicizing this news because it makes BlackBerry look bad. I don't come here for unbiased news, but I do come here for BlackBerry news, and CrackBerry is really failing in that regard (especially when AP, TechCrunch, Engadget, Gizmodo and every other tech blog all have the story)
    Shlooky likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    291 Global Posts

BlackBerry users in the US (comScore):
    September: 10 million
    October: 9.4 million
    November: 9.0 million
    December: 8.0 million

Projection losing 0.5 million per month:
    January: 7.5 million
    February: 7.0 million
    March: 6.5 million
    April: 6.0 million
    May: 5.5 million

BlackBerry has to release asap.
    jegs2 likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    207 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by qbnkelt View Post
    How, pray tell, are you treated like a second class citizen by virtue of the phone you use? Come on now. I can understand frustration, but that was a bit of hyperbole.
    We actually have roving gangs of iPhone fanatics ( 'call themselves iBoyz), and Android users (the Droidnaughts), who seem to have free reign of the streets. They quite often challenge solitairy citizens to display their loyalty. The wrong phone gets placed into a painful orifice.

You'd think the authorities would do something about this. But they don't. They just hear "I'm a BlackBerry user" and start laughing. They don't care. I think I recognized one of the desk sergeants I talked with as a Windozer.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    115 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by qbnkelt View Post

Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    Hyperbole? yes. Unfounded? No.BlackBerry needs to understand that they have one of the most loyal fanbases and when mistakes are made, the ripples aren't only felt by investors but also their faithful. I hope they don't misinterpret their fans as sheep is all I'm trying to say.
    Love what you do
    CrackBerry User

I actually think what we're seeing is BlackBerry managing inventory, and not carrier delay. Consider that Apple can launch a new version of iPhone in something like 20 countries roughly over 10-20 days, and mass push a new OS to all countries simultaneously. Now, certainly Apple has many carriers in a death grip ("do this or you can't carry the iPhone") and BlackBerry is not in the same spot. However, there's no apparent reason that it would take a US carrier 8 weeks extra for to certify a device over a Canadian or UK carrier.

Instead, what if BlackBerry knew they could only make 3 million* devices until April. They have limited manufacturing capabilities and the hardware was only released to production maybe in December/January. If you have 3 million devices, you can't launch globally. So you pick your friendly markets (Canada - home, UK) and put all the effort on the carriers there. You give them hardware January 1st, ready for an early February launch. Meanwhile, you give VZW and AT&T their hardware in February, to get ready for a March launch (and again for the Q10). By the time April rolls around, you've built up your inventory, lowered some early manufacturing costs/defects and can now produce 5 million* devices per month. You're ready to go in the US.

*these numbers completely made up

You've made it so no one is going to a VZW store looking for a BlackBerry and leaving with an Android because of stock issues. Of course, the hope is that the US doesn't really pay attention to BlackBerry until the launch - you've kind of blown that up that with the Superbowl commercial though...

I'd argue this is a valid strategy, but a wrong one. You want scarcity. It's painful for the customer to not be able to get the device they want - but it adds cachet to the device. "Oh look, he's got a new BlackBerry." People are talking, tech sites are covering the scarcity issue, and maybe even a major news outlet picks up the story. Nevermind that you only provided 3 million devices when you knew there was 10 million* demand. Nevermind that Apple/Android sell 175 million devices in the same market - your stuff is getting the attention.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by tiziano27 View Post
    BlackBerry users in the US (comScore):
    Projection losing 0.5 million per month:
    January: 7.5 million
    February: 7.0 million
    March: 6.5 million
    April: 6.0 million
    May: 5.5 million

BlackBerry has to release asap.
    Good data, I'd project that they'd only lose about 7% a month, rather than 500K. (They lost 7% average from Sept-Dec). The numbers play out about the same:

January: 7.44
    February: 6.92
    March: 6.43
    April: 5.98
    May: 5.56

Now, if you want to get into an actual projection, I think the Z10 launching will boost the April numbers dramatically.
    Retired CrackBerry Ambassador

Global Posts
    18,934 Global Posts
    PIN
    nahhhhh.....

Quote Originally Posted by Cale M View Post
    We actually have roving gangs of iPhone fanatics ( 'call themselves iBoyz), and Android users (the Droidnaughts), who seem to have free reign of the streets. They quite often challenge solitairy citizens to display their loyalty. The wrong phone gets placed into a painful orifice.

You'd think the authorities would do something about this. But they don't. They just hear "I'm a BlackBerry user" and start laughing. They don't care. I think I recognized one of the desk sergeants I talked with as a Windozer.
    You are kidding, right?

There are roving bands of hooligans in some city on this planet preying on Blackberry owners? I am really sorry but I need a link.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and good with ketchup
    "When debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser" - Socrates
    iMore Ambassador
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast