Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By RubberChicken76
  • 1 Post By sleepngbear
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    520 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Total U.S. Smartphone Subscribers, RIM 7.3%?

I believe I've read so many times that RIM has closer to 1% market share in US and this reports says it's 7.3% for November 2012.

comScore Reports November 2012 U.S. Mobile Subscriber Market Share - comScore, Inc

Looks like I've missed something in previous reports or this report talks about something different.
    Thanked by:
    johnny_larue (01-04-2013) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,546 Global Posts

This is a perpetual pet peeve of mine.

There are different studies that measure different things. Journalists often get what they measure wrong or don't clearly or completely say what they measure.

Comscore measures the overall population of US smartphone users. If their data is accurate, 7.3% of the US smartphone population is on a BlackBerry.

The other reports like the one you mention (IDC, I think) measure the sales of new phones to new customers over the most recent three month period. If their data is correct, only 1.3% of the smartphones sold to people in the U.S. buying a smartphone in the most recent measured 3 month period bought a BlackBerry.
    Last edited by RubberChicken76; 01-04-2013 at 07:31 AM.
    ------------------------------------
    I like how BlackBerry 10 is evolving, but when are they going to fix BlackBerry Link for Mac?

The fact that it doesn't reliably do what it's supposed to do ... most of the time ... is utterly appalling. The only consistency is the "Music not copied to Z10 message"
    Thanked by 5:
    bb10_fan (01-04-2013),  David in Durham (01-04-2013),  johnny_larue (01-04-2013),  limh5 (01-04-2013),  Superfly_FR (01-04-2013) 
    limh5 and Superfly_FR like this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    520 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

I see, so at the end of the day RIM is not still dead in US as many trying to present it With BB10 they can jump high again (I hope)
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,936 Global Posts

Not dead, but not healthy either.

"Com Score's data tracks installed user base rather than new handset sales, making it more reflective of real-world usage but slower to respond to shifting market trends than some other studies."

Blackberry is waning in N/A but not dead.
    Go get some apps!
    DocuShortcut - Free homescreen shortcuts(Built For BlackBerry)
    Symptom Journal - Track medical symptoms and causes (Built For BlackBerry)
    SkinEd for Minecraft - Create and share Minecraft skins
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,546 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bb10_fan View Post
    I see, so at the end of the day RIM is not still dead in US as many trying to present it With BB10 they can jump high again (I hope)
    Not dead, but definitely has declined substantially. For the first time, growth in international markets weren't enough to offset the decline in the US and caused their overall active base to drop.
    I like how BlackBerry 10 is evolving, but when are they going to fix BlackBerry Link for Mac?

The fact that it doesn't reliably do what it's supposed to do ... most of the time ... is utterly appalling. The only consistency is the "Music not copied to Z10 message"
    CrackBerry Abuser

I've also seen reports like these that talk about the amount of data transferred as an indication of marketshare. This is a very weird way to calculate things since BB compresses so much data.

7.3% sure isn't healthy, but we'll have to see whether BlackBerry 10 maintains and starts to increase from that 7.3% (or adds subscribers without marketshare).
    @jr4941
    CrackBerry Addict

I think some of them track All Cell Phones & some Only track Smart Phones.

It sounds like this one is only tracking Smart Phones and doesn't include basic Cell Phones.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

I "imagine" that both the 7.3% and the 1.3% reflect business and government accounts that for security or easy of management, use BB devices exclusively. I think very few consumers would be included in those percentages anymore. And the 1.3% is also artificially low just like iPhone numbers shirk just before the release of a new device.

While overall even 7% is still a lot of smartphones, it is the TREND that every quarter that percentage shrinks that is worrying. And the fact that 7% is not a significant enough portion of number to incite many companies or developers to build apps for the platform.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,936 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    I think some of them track All Cell Phones & some Only track Smart Phones.

It sounds like this one is only tracking Smart Phones and doesn't include basic Cell Phones.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    The 7% number being discussed here is indeed for the smartphone market. The overall oem numbers (for all cellphones) are the following:
    Total U.S. Smartphone Subscribers, RIM 7.3%?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1357310102.827655.jpg
    Go get some apps!
    DocuShortcut - Free homescreen shortcuts(Built For BlackBerry)
    Symptom Journal - Track medical symptoms and causes (Built For BlackBerry)
    SkinEd for Minecraft - Create and share Minecraft skins

The 7.3% is total smart phone ownership and usage among total smart phone subscribers. The tumbling market share number that keeps getting thrown around, which is now down around 1%, is of smart phone sales. Both very important metrics, but entirely different meanings.
    Ed

Ursus moderatus levisomnus.
    howarmat likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,546 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jr4941 View Post
    I've also seen reports like these that talk about the amount of data transferred as an indication of marketshare. This is a very weird way to calculate things since BB compresses so much data.
    Yeah - and there's other factors too. Like those BBM only plans which don't allow web browsing or app downloads. Or if your BlackBerry is connected to a BES and locked down.

CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    713 Global Posts