Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
    CrackBerry Master

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Thorsten Heins New York Times Interview: RIMís Chief Is Confident of BlackBerry 10 Success

Thorsten Heins, the chief executive of Research In Motion, visited The New York Times readily tells his employees, developers and customers, BlackBerry 10, the name for the new phones and the software platform running it, is a very big bet for RIM. If it catches on, he has saved the company.

In a meeting with New York Times editors and reporters, he expressed his confidence. “I don’t expect things to get much worse,” he said.

--------------------------
    On Monday, it look the RIM group just over 30 minutes to demonstrate only some of the new phone’s features. But Mr. Heins said that the new phones’ advantages will be so apparent to customers that it will only take “a one-minute sales pitch in a shop” to win them over.

--------------------

Despite the dismal failure of the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet computer, Mr. Heins has grand ambitions for the BlackBerry 10 phone in the corporate workplace. He said that RIM is pitching the new phone to corporations as a replacement for desktop and laptop computers in the offices over time. He sketched out a scenario where BlackBerry 10 phones will act as a building passes for employees who, once at their desks, will connect their BlackBerry to a keyboard and display.

“Whenever you enter an office you don’t have your laptop with you, you have your mobile computer power exactly here,” Mr. Heins said patting a BlackBerry 10 phone sitting in a holster on his hip. “You will not carry a laptop within three to five years.”

Full article with the link:

RIM's Chief Is Confident of BlackBerry 10 Success - NYTimes.com
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,069 Global Posts

Default Re: Thorsten Heins New York Times Interview: RIMís Chief Is Confident of BlackBerry 10 Success

Now there's a show of confidence: “I don’t expect things to get much worse”.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Default Re: Thorsten Heins New York Times Interview: RIMís Chief Is Confident of BlackBerry 10 Success

Quote Originally Posted by njblackberry View Post
    Now there's a show of confidence: “I don’t expect things to get much worse”.
    He's a humble guy on the surface. But if we read on we can see that he has some truly audacious ambitions:

"He said that RIM is pitching the new phone to corporations as a replacement for desktop and laptop computers in the offices over time. He sketched out a scenario where BlackBerry 10 phones will act as a building passes for employees who, once at their desks, will connect their BlackBerry to a keyboard and display."
    CrackBerry User

hmmm...I think I see the leap frog coming. If RIM just executes the shift properly, the whole mobile computing landscape will change forever. I hope they do without revealing too much in the process. From what I envision, I believe they may come back out on top once again.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts

We will not carry a laptop within 3-5 years, huh? That is pretty bold. On the other hand, I may forgo purchasing a laptop for school if BB10 works out well enough for me.
    Blatant placeholder signature.
    00stryder likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,161 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by W Hoa View Post
    “Whenever you enter an office you don’t have your laptop with you, you have your mobile computer power exactly here,” Mr. Heins said patting a BlackBerry 10 phone sitting in a holster on his hip. “You will not carry a laptop within three to five years.”
    3 to 5 years? This vision of your phone doubling as your computer is almost here:

Skip to 1:30 for the fun demo parts.
    Thanked by:
    00stryder (11-15-2012) 
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Quote Originally Posted by VeGiTo View Post
    He's a humble guy on the surface. But if we read on we can see that he has some truly audacious ambitions:

"He said that RIM is pitching the new phone to corporations as a replacement for desktop and laptop computers in the offices over time. He sketched out a scenario where BlackBerry 10 phones will act as a building passes for employees who, once at their desks, will connect their BlackBerry to a keyboard and display."
    Sound like a great idea, and for some business that do not rely on custom software or Windows only software it might not be too far away. But I'm afraid that Windows has a much better shot at having that scenario succeed than RIM does. Based on "Doc to Go", "Adobe Reader" and the Email app on the PlayBook... RIM has a LONG way to go before they replace anyone's desktop.
    00stryder likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Hah, that picture in the article.. Heins with two smoking 'guns!' Awesome.

Global Posts
    6,178 Global Posts
    PIN
    32FE97BA

Default Thorsten Heins New York Times Interview: RIMís Chief Is Confident of BlackBerry 10 Success

Quote Originally Posted by Masahiro View Post
    We will not carry a laptop within 3-5 years, huh? That is pretty bold. On the other hand, I may forgo purchasing a laptop for school if BB10 works out well enough for me.
    Yeah. I wish RIM well but I am not buying that part. Not in a workplace that has any legacy Windows applications.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,283 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scalemaster34 View Post
    Sound like a great idea, and for some business that do not rely on custom software or Windows only software it might not be too far away. But I'm afraid that Windows has a much better shot at having that scenario succeed than RIM does. Based on "Doc to Go", "Adobe Reader" and the Email app on the PlayBook... RIM has a LONG way to go before they replace anyone's desktop.
    Lol It has been a pretty long time since those were released on the playbook the long way is pretty much passed and I doubt RIM would waste to much time on the playbook OS when they know In a few months they will be replacing the OS with bb10
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by GTiLeo View Post
    Lol It has been a pretty long time since those were released on the playbook the long way is pretty much passed and I doubt RIM would waste to much time on the playbook OS when they know In a few months they will be replacing the OS with bb10
    I wonder, if next bb10 gen will carry the capabilities as what "john stark's device do (see the Iron man 2). It can tapping out the screen

as what we've seen on TAT filesharing Demo for Playbook

Sent from my BlackBerry 9020 using Tapatalk
    sent from anywhere
    @isatbb@isatbbplg
    #mybb10
    #BB10Believe
    Blog: bb10believe.blogspot.com

HONK! IF YOU WANT BLACKBERRY 10

9380, Black and White Z10, LG Nexus 4, Nokia Lumia 520
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by southlander View Post
    Yeah. I wish RIM well but I am not buying that part. Not in a workplace that has any legacy Windows applications.

I'll second that. We're one of those workplaces.

9930+Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by scalemaster34 View Post
    But if I connect to a monitor and BT Keyboard/mouse, Citrix will give me the Windows environment I need. Or RDP, etc. One of the big coming trends is desktop virtualization and this fits in perfectly with that strategy
    I'm still alive, walkin' in the sunshine And if I die, I'm dyin' with a smile on my face
    00stryder likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Until the networks are able to overcome the latency issues, you will not see desktop virtualization trending. As someone who RDP's to multiple servers on a very fast network, if I was asked to do any development work on these machines, it would be a headache.

We're all used to immediate response when we type. This isn't the case when the machine you are interfacing with is over the network. Not to mention video playback, etc.
    Thanked by:
    scalemaster34 (11-16-2012) 
    mikeo007 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,355 Global Posts
    PIN
    @getdjmac

Quote Originally Posted by VeGiTo View Post

I love this, it shows RIM is thinking outside of the 6 month replacemnt cycle in mobile now. If his story is believeable/understandable this would be a huge savings for corperations. You have to know they will listen. This is also a path past the PC which I have speculated about in the past and believe is upon us. Ready to sweep over us as did mobile wave years back. Gone are the PC. soon we carry the hard drive with us and plug in where needed.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,355 Global Posts
    PIN
    @getdjmac

Quote Originally Posted by southlander View Post

If things get even remotly close to where TH sees them going. Im sure they could get windows applications to work on QNX.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    570 Global Posts

Doesn't Google have a complete office suite for free that is compatible with windows "legacy applications"? Why worry about MS word or excel.

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts

I heard from someone that Adobe Reader was revamped for BB10... Can anyone shed some light on that?

Either way, regardless of whether Thor's predictions come true or not, it's good that he sets high goals for the platform. This is a far cry from when Jim B. made such declarations as not needing apps when you have a web browser.
    Blatant placeholder signature.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,742 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by notafanboy View Post
    3 to 5 years? This vision of your phone doubling as your computer is almost here:

Skip to 1:30 for the fun demo parts.

Yeaaah....Motorola Atrix already thought this up.
    Still, I can't replace my laptop Not until Full Version of adobe Software products are placed on the phone, which probably won't be for many years.
    I wait for the future...to COME back to BlackBerry!
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by calicocat2010 View Post
    Yeaaah....Motorola Atrix already thought this up.
    Still, I can't replace my laptop Not until Full Version of adobe Software products are placed on the phone, which probably won't be for many years.
    Adobe is trying to remain relevant in the mobile computing era so if they do not bring the full functionality of their core productivity and development applications to these devices Adobe's relevance will decrease. If Ubuntu Linux can be ported to Android smartphones, for example, that opens an universe of applications available from the F/LOSS community at which point Adobe is dead if they refuse to adapt.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dbollman423 View Post
    Doesn't Google have a complete office suite for free that is compatible with windows "legacy applications"? Why worry about MS word or excel.

Google Docs sux for any serious work and if you are without an Internet connection (WiFi or carrier network) you are SOL.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,062 Global Posts

I can't wait to see a bb10 device in action. I'm very intrigued, hopefully 3rd party support is strong.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    6,178 Global Posts
    PIN
    32FE97BA

Quote Originally Posted by Reubechs View Post
    I'll second that. We're one of those workplaces.

9930+Tapatalk
    We are as well. If we could not use Windows it would literally shut us down. And I do not see that changing any time in the near or not so near future.

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,742 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BB9700CA View Post
    Adobe is trying to remain relevant in the mobile computing era so if they do not bring the full functionality of their core productivity and development applications to these devices Adobe's relevance will decrease. If Ubuntu Linux can be ported to Android smartphones, for example, that opens an universe of applications available from the F/LOSS community at which point Adobe is dead if they refuse to adapt.

Well, I Hope they bring full functionality and development applications to these devices because it gets tiring having to lug my laptop around to do Graphic Design work just to increase my Portfolio for School. That's why I wish the PlayBook could have full versions on theirs. That's one of the reasons why I have not bought it.
    I wait for the future...to COME back to BlackBerry!
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    954 Global Posts
    PIN
    2AA07827

Interviewer was being a typical putz.

But he also sounds like he hasn't even seen let alone demo a working unit. Maybe he'll change his tune when that happens.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast