Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree17Likes
  • 8 Post By recompile
  • 1 Post By Bold_until_Hybrid_Comes
  • 3 Post By playbookster
  • 1 Post By Lehomer
  • 1 Post By Dapper37
  • 1 Post By Dapper37
  • 1 Post By playbookster
  • 1 Post By playbookster
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default [TechnoBuffalo] BlackBerry 10 Ė Is RIM Being Too Bold?

Yes, I used Bold on purpose in the title, but the question is an important one: is RIM being too bold with BlackBerry 10 and its approach to the existing mobile market? I donít mean in the immediate future; we still have yet to see the final version of BlackBerry 10, all the surprises associated with it and RIMís brand new devices.

What Iím referring to is that it scheduled its BlackBerry Live conference on Monday for May 14 Ė May 16, which will overlap with Googleís annual I/O developer conference. Hereís my fear: RIM needs to show off enough products to overshadow whatever Google announces and, no doubt, Google always puts on a good show during its conference. Weíll likely see the next version of Android and a tablet and smartphone, or both, that run it. RIM is currently in a desperate battle for market share and a huge slice of the pie that Google already owns.

Iím not speaking as an Android fanboy, Iíve already said Iím ready to buy a new BlackBerry and canít wait to see what RIM has in store on Jan. 30 and later this year in May. Iím just worried that the company is already being a bit arrogant and that its news may be overshadowed by whatever Google announces during the same period. Iím hoping RIM has changed its mentality towards the market and has realized the extreme amount of competition right now, and I donít think scheduling a conference on the same day as a major competitor is a move in the right direction.

RIM needs exposure. It needs people talking about its products..

RIM needs exposure. It needs people talking about its products and it needs people to be excited about its offerings. Iím not saying we canít be excited for RIMís new offerings and the next version of Android at the same time, but I think a lot of eyes are going to be on Google and RIMís announcement runs the risk of being muffled.

The move somewhat reminds me of how RIM used to try to market its products as being competitive with earlier iOS and Android devices, even when they werenít. And I understand why: RIM needed to build a consumer base around its products, even when it, too, knew that BlackBerry 7 had become an inferior offering. I just think it would have been a wiser move to hold the event a week earlier, or later, than Google. But the Android maker scheduled its conference back in early December, and I think this was done on purpose.

I admire RIM for going head-on with its competitors, it needs to, I just hope it has the products to back up that ambition.

Source: TechnoBuffalo
    Nanakorobi yaoki
    _____

Blackberry Z10 STL100-2 (OS: 10.2.1.2977)
    Thanked by 2:
    austriker (01-22-2013),  G-bone (01-22-2013) 
    CrackBerry Addict

Meh... Why be 'afraid'. It's BB.

Headlong flight!!
    CrackBerry Genius

So Rim should just hide when someone is doing an event gtfo here weak mentality.Talking like RIM aint been working on other projects.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I think by May either BB10 will have either been successful enough for whatever RIM announces to be more interesting than Google (nice as it's products are, I somewhat feel it has become a bit iterative) or a failure and no one will care anyway. Also the timing could have been the only date the RIM execs could do, it might not be as much as a head on challenge as the writer thinks.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Is Google Being Too Bold?

What I’m referring to is that it scheduled its annual I/O developer conference on Monday for May 14 – May 16, which will overlap with RIM’s BlackBerry Live conference. Here’s my fear: Google needs to show off enough products to overshadow whatever RIM announces and, no doubt, RIM always puts on a good show during its conference.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    947 Global Posts

I don't think exposure and excitement for BB10 will be a problem come May... the problem is that there will be developers that would like to attend BOTH conferences that will only be able to attend one, and, as a user of both BB10 and Android platforms, I want developers to support both platforms.

Besides, I think I have the trend of Google I/O down now: even more powerful device with bigger screen but ever-diminishing build quality.

I still regret that stupid Nexus 7 purchase. What a piece of... brown jelly bean.
    I was tapering off. I'm all tapered out now.
    Waterloo's Finest

Global Posts
    5,642 Global Posts

I think people are reading into this too much. Blackberry World was at the start or May last year too. Its just in the middle of may now
    BBThemes likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    PIN
    290BC3C6 (9900) / 500CF65B (PB)

Hmm RIM would overshadow Google if they bring the Bentley, Porsche and Jeep to BlackBerry Live loaded with QNX CAR 2.0 and BlackBerry 10, 10" tablet, 5" phablet, and make them interact with each other and the Network showcasing a real Ecosystem. Tags: [Autonomous Drive] [Embedded systems] [Cross-platform interaction] [Augmented Reality] [Smart screens]
    I rock a BlackBerry Z10
    CrackBerry Abuser

Exactly...So because Google is releasing stuff the whole world should stand still?? If i remember correctly google did not exactly care if apple or rim owned market share back then. They simply came out to dominate. If i had a magic ball i would say several years from now andriod will not be what it is today. Its just the way technology works.
    Quote Originally Posted by RECOOL View Post
    So Rim should just hide when someone is doing an event gtfo here weak mentality.Talking like RIM aint been working on other projects.
    CrackBerry Genius

Google should change the date of their event.
    CrackBerry Abuser

The days of RIM taking a backseat to ANYONE are coming to an end .
    Thanked by:
    house78 (01-22-2013) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,355 Global Posts
    PIN
    @getdjmac

I hear what this guy is saying, it is an interesting move. One I believe has been thoroughly thought out by RIM!
    If RIM didn't have something big to show off, I think they would have chose a different date. Plus they will need people interested to chose the RIM event instead of the android event so we will need an indication of whats in store!
    I believe this is also a hint that RIM feels android is the #1 product out there. Thats their target!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,987 Global Posts

The writer has a point, but I would hope that by then BB10 has captured enough attention to keep people interested in the BlackBerry Live conference, where I'm sure RIM will have a number of interesting things in store.
    Passport (10.3.0.1418) | iPhone 6 (8.1.2) | Lumia 1020 (WP8.1, Lumia Cyan) | Surface Pro 3 (256GB i5)
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,355 Global Posts
    PIN
    @getdjmac

It looks like RIM see a crack in the android armor. They want to showcase it as an un-repairable fracture!
    Only RIM knows the foundation they are about ready to unveil, This is another indication its made of Granite!
    CrackBerry Genius

RIM's event starts on the 14th and Google's starts on the 15th. We all know that the big announcements happen on the first day, so really there is no issue here. Its a story made out of nothing.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,037 Global Posts

There is one of two ways of looking at this...... 1 - RIM booked the weekend not even considering Google had already booked their event. 2 - They have something huge up their sleeve and they are making a statement and fulling expecting to dwarf what Google is offering. By all logic, it doesn't make sense to have both events over the same weekend when they are both attracting the same community. Not saying RIM should back down, but why, unless there's something big coming, would they choose to create a divide amongst devs and others in the mobile community that would potentially go to both.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by cjcampbell View Post
    There is one of two ways of looking at this...... 1 - RIM booked the weekend not even considering Google had already booked their event. 2 - They have something huge up their sleeve and they are making a statement and fulling expecting to dwarf what Google is offering. By all logic, it doesn't make sense to have both events over the same weekend when they are both attracting the same community. Not saying RIM should back down, but why, unless there's something big coming, would they choose to create a divide amongst devs and others in the mobile community that would potentially go to both.
    BB Live is not a developer event though. Its for everyone, its for BB fans.
    r0v3rT3N likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,037 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by playbookster View Post
    BB Live is not a developer event though. Its for everyone, its for BB fans.
    Ah... I see..... Well they better still have something huge
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    71,459 Global Posts

Arrogant? I think more confident.
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    Posted from my phone or pc or tablet that are no better than anyone else's
    Woopie Doopie we have em fun
    CrackBerry Abuser

Just realised, this is just before my upgrade date (19th May). So whilst I'm going to have to wait aaaaaaaaaaages to get my hands on BB10, they may announce something that will make the wait worthwhile. Unlikely so soon after January launch but a man can dream...
    CrackBerry Abuser

All I know is this...they took the Jam from my user name for their dev events and now they are taking the Live from my username! You're welcome RIM! (I'll gladly accept free devices for my contributions )
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,939 Global Posts
    PIN
    Implying I still use a BB...

It's a massive mistake to be honest, after the past few years of Googles I/O conferences everyone and their grandma will be there. It's one of the few events every year that is a BIG deal, next to CES, MWC, and Apple keynotes as they set the tone for the industry and what's to come. If you even think about attempting to upstage these events you'd better have some major bombs to drop otherwise it'll backfire and what exposure you could have had is snuffed out.

I would hate to see RIM launch a new product launch, only to be eviscerated by whatever eventual Nexus product comes out.
    GOD'S IN HIS HEAVEN, ALL'S RIGHT WITH THE WORLD
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,355 Global Posts
    PIN
    @getdjmac

"If you even think about attempting to upstage these events you'd better have some major bombs to drop otherwise it'll backfire and what exposure you could have had is snuffed out."

To the degree that "we all know" this is correct. The interesting thing is, RIM knows even better than us! Intriguing!