Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    734 Global Posts

Default Re: Steve Ballmer says Windows Phone 8 will topple RIM for number three spot

Quote Originally Posted by Senixter View Post
    No doubt that WP8 Is a better upgrade and looks Slicker than all the previous WP Oses, One has to keep in mind that, RIM is Working on something that is REALLY Big and Revolutionary. It's not just a Bloody OS update, It's a Brand New Platform with a whole New Ecosystem. Everyone will want to give it a try for sure ; Atleast out of curiosity. And also BlackBerry 10 Will be the only Controlled Ecosystem after Apple IOS, I.e. Control over both Hardware and Software Parts.
    Let's consider from the Experience point of view ; WP8 will boast of different devices with the likes of Samsung, HTC, Nokia, etc. But here's where the real deal is. WP8 won't be a controlled Ecosystem. Once BB 10 Is launched successfully and is picking up steam, I see no reason why RIM wouldn't be able to make it to a 3rd Spot easily.
    BlackBerry 10 is going to attract a LOT of attention than it may seem now, It's poised to becoming a True Unique New Platform.
    Wut while the hardware is done by oems all of the software is controlled by micosoft. Which is why even that even decives with wp7 on lackluster hardware run smooth and microsoft doesn't allow bloatware.

That and the microsoft ecosystem is way stonger than rim's can ever hope to be.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    69,861 Global Posts

Default Re: Steve Ballmer says Windows Phone 8 will topple RIM for number three spot

Quote Originally Posted by trelawrence View Post
    I think doing so (killing Skype on other platforms) could hurt them. Those other platforms have cross-platform options.
    I agree. I was commenting on the post above stating it won't be on bb as a value to MS. How can it be a value when every other platform has it.
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    the 50K CrackBerry challenge
    Posted from my phone or pc or tablet that are no better than anyone else's
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    734 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kbz1960 View Post
    I said the same. Like it on my lappy but I'm not using anything metro, one click to the desktop because the metro apps have literally no settings or options to them.

So I assume MS will be killing the android and iOS Skype apps then so no competitors have it? Oh don't forget macs.
    All of the meto apps have settings. Go into the charms bar and click settings during any application to get into the settings for that app.

Between Realities

Global Posts
    12,813 Global Posts

I agree. I was commenting on the post above stating it won't be on bb as a value to MS. How can it be a value when every other platform has it.
    Got ya.

Frankly, I think it would be a mistake to freeze out RIM. I don't think 'S will be that crazy.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    69,861 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shingi_70 View Post
    All of the meto apps have settings. Go into the charms bar and click settings during any application to get into the settings for that app.

Sure open the mail app and add an account, set your font default to bold or anything other than what is default, create a folder etc

Edit: other than PIM I see the same complaints about pb OS1 and still, no bookmark management, no folder creation so you have to have hundreds of app icons on the start screen making it huge? Where are the options and settings beyond something basic? I haven't tried many metro apps but the mail app is basic at best.

And why does the desktop and metro sides seem like neither knows the other exists? I'm fine with the desktop side after getting it setup but the other side needs a lot of work to be used at all by me and doesn't make me want to get a wp8 or an RT tablet right now.
    Last edited by kbz1960; 11-07-2012 at 08:28 AM.
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    the 50K CrackBerry challenge
    Posted from my phone or pc or tablet that are no better than anyone else's
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,540 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mod9 View Post
    RIM is in the fourth position!
    You're comparing two different metrics. With the way journalists perpetually misquote reports, there's a lot of fuzziness out there.

The metric you're quoting is the global smartphone shipments for the quarter. The "we have a good shot at third place" is the overall ecosystem. From that perspective the "8.8" would either fall under "Android" or "Windows Phone".
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by col_oddball View Post
    when you watch this, you will never see Steve in the same light again...
    WTF...no wonder microfail is garbage and hated by millions. No wonder WP7 was a total flop and fail. No wonder microsoft wp8 doesn even have a notification centre because they ran out of time. I am sick of micofails broken promises....trust them? LOL look at them in the above video.

CrackBerry Addict

At least Win8 has phones for customers to buy....
    Jobs: the apps nazi
    CrackBerry Addict

omg could you ALL stop this ?
    "x sucks, y is way better"
    "no x is way better"
    "x only copies stuff, y invents!!"
    "but x polishes it"
    "z just got released, x + y officially suck, z is the best"
    "z doesn't even have a notification centre"

it's very annoying and tiring to read, i dont even know why i bother
    buy whatever you want, whatever you prefer and like - and if for some weird reason you HATE another company/product and want them to go bankrupt and therefore want thousands of people to lose their jobs, well... could you please keep it to urself?

clearly every platform has it's pros and cons, i LOVE blackberry and i'm SUPER excited for BB 10 and all it's new features
    but even without owning an iphone/android/wp8 i know that none of the platforms out there (iOS, Android, WP8 or BB OS/BB10) is particulary bad - just buy whatever suits you best and just fkin enjoy it!
    do i love any of the other platforms like i do with BlackBerry ? No !
    do i feel the need to always mention it and always go as far as to say i hate something for the simple reason that i don't like/own it? Nope

(that being said.... using windows 7 (great), wp8 looks great too - but i would really love to hit the people at Microsoft who were responsible for completely destroying Rare Ltd. back in 2002, yep)
    Thanked by:
    pantlesspenguin (11-12-2012) 
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,579 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrfreetruth View Post
    WTF...no wonder microfail is garbage and hated by millions. No wonder WP7 was a total flop and fail. No wonder microsoft wp8 doesn even have a notification centre because they ran out of time. I am sick of micofails broken promises....trust them? LOL look at them in the above video.
    Did Microsoft promise YOU or anyone a notification centre in WP8?
    Nope.

Million of people LOVE Microsoft. They make the best Office suites. Their Desktop OS is the most full-featured (everyone knows how sucky the gaming situation on OSX is). Windows 7 is loved by many. The Zune HD was a commercial failure but scored exceptionally high reviews and very high user satisfaction. The Xbox 360 is the highest selling game console in North America for the past 2 years. Kinect is awesome and is in use in many many non-gaming related areas...providing very good value for money for a 3d scanning solution.

Behind Apple, they are the biggest tech company in the world (so your 'microfail' jibe just makes you look silly).

Before you start whining about missing features, wait until BB10 gets into your hands. There definitely will be a few missing features people will gripe about. it's a normal part of software development.
    Roo Zilla likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,579 Global Posts

I'll bet every last penny I have that Skype will be on BB10 before long. Microsoft is a software company primarily. By 2013, Xbox Smartglass and Skype will DEFINITELY be on BB10. It's not a matter of 'IF', it's a matter of 'WHEN'.

I think people should worry less about Skype and more about Netflix. Microsoft is not Apple.
    CrackBerry Addict

hmn just gimme Skype, i don't care about those xbox apps : p
    Nintendo <3

i'm really curious as to how well flash on bb10 performs, will i actually be able to watch streams (for example via twitch.tv, etc.) without problems - or my favorite tv shows via putlocker, etc. ?
    i really hope so, time will tell
    i know... many people think flash on mobile sucks, but i'd love to have the WHOLE web with me : )
    CrackBerry User

I work for carphone warehouse and our Nokia rep said that 80% of lumia users are female... that is their target audience according to nokia
    CrackBerry Master

Quote Originally Posted by qyk1010101 View Post
    RIM has no one to blame but themselves. BB10 was supposed to be out early 2012 to set the standard whilst preparing for the fight against ip5, s3 and w8. Actually they did manage to build up some hype when it was first shown, but the multiple delays destroyed whatever hype they managed to garner.
    It takes longer to develop an ecosystem than many civilians realize. Some people seem to think they can catch up to Apple and Google who are still running, in two years. Those guys had a 4 or 5 year head start.
    CrackBerry Master

Quote Originally Posted by Seijuro View Post
    hmn just gimme Skype, i don't care about those xbox apps : p
    Nintendo <3

i'm really curious as to how well flash on bb10 performs, will i actually be able to watch streams (for example via twitch.tv, etc.) without problems - or my favorite tv shows via putlocker, etc. ?
    i really hope so, time will tell
    i know... many people think flash on mobile sucks, but i'd love to have the WHOLE web with me : )
    Why don't you try the Playbook?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,587 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tonyrenier View Post
    This guy has to justify his job and salary.
    Ballmer get's paid something like 1.5M a year. As the CEO of one of the world's largest tech companies, he should probably get more. He doesn't do it for the money and he probably wouldn't care if they cut his salary to $0. The guy's worth north of $15B. He can probably find $1.5M in his couch cushions.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,587 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by texazzpete View Post
    I'll bet every last penny I have that Skype will be on BB10 before long. Microsoft is a software company primarily. By 2013, Xbox Smartglass and Skype will DEFINITELY be on BB10. It's not a matter of 'IF', it's a matter of 'WHEN'.

I think people should worry less about Skype and more about Netflix. Microsoft is not Apple.
    I agree that Skype will be most likely be made available to BB10. I think though, there's a very good chance it will be a stripped down version, capable of VoIP, but not video chat. Skype makes money off selling telephony services, the video chat is just a bonus. I suspect, they might limit certain features on other platforms, while keeping keeping some for their own platform.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,334 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #68  

Quote Originally Posted by eddy_berry View Post
    Wow. :what:
    That's his "monkey-boy" dance....and a very apt-name it is...not just the movments...but the guttural high-pitched screaming. LOL

Of course there's also his manical, sweaty "developers" video, and many other classic Ballmer moments. Being asked about the iphone upon it's release and having him laugh at it, say "good luck!" (sarcastically) to Apple and touting his Motorola Q is another funny one. ;-)
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,334 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #69  

Quote Originally Posted by shingi_70 View Post
    Wut while the hardware is done by oems all of the software is controlled by micosoft. Which is why even that even decives with wp7 on lackluster hardware run smooth and microsoft doesn't allow bloatware.

That and the microsoft ecosystem is way stonger than rim's can ever hope to be.

This is true. MS has followed Apple in controlling it's platform/ecosystem.
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by bitek View Post
    that is why we will not see skype. time for rim to do deal with facebook and screw microsoft.

Sent from Blackberry Playbook using TapaTalk 2
    This makes no sense. Deny RIM access to Skype, but give it to Apple and Google. Please...

If this actually happened, then RIM would have no choice but to license out BBM and wage an all out war for cross platform video/messaging supremacy.
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by RubberChicken76 View Post
    And it wasn't only "Windows Phone" in that number. It was an aggregate of Windows Phone and Windows Mobile. Worse, their biggest backer sold more Symbian Smartphones than Windows Phone smartphones.

Still, no one should under-estimate Microsoft, nor assume they can waltz in and take over. They would easily bleed money till the cows come home on Windows Phone until its huge (see XBox). Or they could pull a KIN/ZUNE/WINDOWS MOBILE etc and die out.

One of their cash cows is at risk (Windows proper) so I can see them fighting hard for this.
    Microsoft has no choice but to throw money into WP8 and any other iterations after that. Their survival is at stake. The days of desktops and clunky laptops are over. The mobile space is where the future is at. And after years of dominance (and having a complete monopoly) in the desktop space, Microsoft finally has some competition and finally has to innovate (if they even know what that is!).

Heins has even said himself that RIM is focusing on building a mobile computing platform, and not just a new smartphone OS. This is where the future lies.
    Thanked by:
    Jake Storm (11-12-2012) 
    Jake Storm likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by RubberChicken76 View Post
    By what criteria? RIM has 80 million customers as '3rd place'. And billions upon billions in revenue. Many companies would give their eye teeth for that.

I don't buy this media construct that it has to be a 'two horse race' or even a '3 horse race'.
    Agreed. It's so silly. How many automakers are there in the world? Only two? Nope. Yet we are to believe that there is only enough room for two smartphone ecosystems.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,540 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LuvULongTime View Post
    Microsoft finally has some competition and finally has to innovate (if they even know what that is!).
    I would suggest they've shown that they can innovate when they need to.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Like it or not, RIM and MS need each for now. Both have enterprise businesses that work well together. For the largest and most security conscience companies BB phones and MS laptops are the standard. It is a fine line that MS must walk; throwing RIM under the bus means more iPhones and then ipads and less MS laptops. Or more android's then Google web services then Google docs and less MS windows laptops and office licenses. I think having BB phones means more MS products like exchange, laptops and such keep some protection. Also it makes no sense for the two weakest players to destroy each other, especially while they have their fragile enterprise thing going.
    Follow the breadcrumb trail of RIM's epic comeback with BB10BelieveIt on Twitter at @CrumbsObserver
    richardat likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    527 Global Posts

BB10 will be number 1 by next summer
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast