Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,049 Global Posts

Default Re: Steve Ballmer says Windows Phone 8 will topple RIM for number three spot

Quote Originally Posted by bbpandy View Post
    not only did RIM ship 7 million phones last quarter they sold 10 million
    And it wasn't only "Windows Phone" in that number. It was an aggregate of Windows Phone and Windows Mobile. Worse, their biggest backer sold more Symbian Smartphones than Windows Phone smartphones.

Still, no one should under-estimate Microsoft, nor assume they can waltz in and take over. They would easily bleed money till the cows come home on Windows Phone until its huge (see XBox). Or they could pull a KIN/ZUNE/WINDOWS MOBILE etc and die out.

One of their cash cows is at risk (Windows proper) so I can see them fighting hard for this.
    richardat likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Default Re: Steve Ballmer says Windows Phone 8 will topple RIM for number three spot

Right now 3rd place in the Mobile Platform race is like coming in 4th in the Olympics... doesn't mean anything. No getting to stand on the podium, no medal, no cereal box.

Both MS and RIM need to be able to eat away at Apple and Androids marketshare, now maybe they will have to crawl over the body of one or the other to get there, but there ultimate goal has to be to gain back a much larger piece of the pie than they both share today.
    richardat likes this.
    Between Realities

Global Posts
    11,669 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Masahiro View Post
    What a ridiculously titled article just to grab page hits. Ballmer would never say something so rash. The market will decide the "winner" (for 3rd place) anyways.
    I agree the title was purposely manipulated, but Ballmer all but defined the term "rash" LOL.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,049 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scalemaster34 View Post
    Right now 3rd place in the Mobile Platform race is like coming in 4th in the Olympics... doesn't mean anything. No getting to stand on the podium, no medal, no cereal box.
    By what criteria? RIM has 80 million customers as '3rd place'. And billions upon billions in revenue. Many companies would give their eye teeth for that.

I don't buy this media construct that it has to be a 'two horse race' or even a '3 horse race'.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I watched some wp8 phone reviews on wpcentral and although it appears fluid and eye catching, it seems to lack something. I'm not sure what it is, It just may be all eye candy and lack functionality. On the other hand i have watched bb10 demos and all I've seen is functionality and not so much on the eye candy. I haven't had my hands on either so complete speculation but rim seem to be focusing on usability whereas ms seems to be struggling to make a compelling argument as to why someone should buy their phone.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    PIN
    32FDEB75

Quote Originally Posted by abwan11 View Post
    I watched some wp8 phone reviews on wpcentral and although it appears fluid and eye catching, it seems to lack something. I'm not sure what it is, It just may be all eye candy and lack functionality. On the other hand i have watched bb10 demos and all I've seen is functionality and not so much on the eye candy. I haven't had my hands on either so complete speculation but rim seem to be focusing on usability whereas ms seems to be struggling to make a compelling argument as to why someone should buy their phone.
    There is one difference you have seen finished* WP8 and a not finished BB10

*they ran out of time to add a notification center so i guess they're not finished
    http://Collegiaterevenue.ws ..make money with me
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,869 Global Posts

the one flaw I see with Windows 8 is the learning curve.

It's just so different from everything else, the only way they will succeed is with an all out promotion blitz showing customers how to use it and why it benefits their lives!
    CrackBerry Addict

not trying to offend anyone here, but i will NEVER understand all these "learning curve"-comments..
    what learning curve? lol

it's not like there's ANY OS that's extremely hard to use... mac os x, windows, bb os, iOS, Android, WP8... and also the upcoming BB 10
    i cant be the only one that has no problems with these kinds of things, right?

i mean.. back when i was a child and played games on my Nintendo 64 or w/e you had to figure stuff out, nowadays there is absolutely NO learning curve in games at all, you get game guides thrown at you, ingame help/tips (which you can't turn off) which basically tell you how to solve any puzzle, how to finish all the missions and clear the game, it's like they assume we're extremely stupid and highly ********

it's the same with any mobile OS (in this case, that's a good thing) - you should have absolutely no problem navigating through the OS and understanding it as you pick it up
    an icon, beneath the word: "Facebook" - what could that possibly be? - "what do i have to do now? do i have to click on that? that's crazy!!!"
    : /
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    563 Global Posts

I think Windows 8 have a legitimate shot in finally taking over that 3rd spot. RIM marketshare keeps getting lower and lower. They were #1 in 2008/2009 no? Ever since then its been a free fall nightmare. Windows 8 has the important big 3rd party apps it looks like and coming at a low price point for a high end device that will certainly draw some adopters.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kbz1960 View Post
    My thoughts after using the metro or whatever they are calling it side on my computer metro apps need a heck of a lot more options and settings than they have now. It's pathetic. You can latterly do nothing in the metro mail app other than read, delete, reply, forward or move an email. If you want to add a folder you have to log in on the browser and create it there. What would someone do if all they have is a phone or surface tablet. There are less options and settings in the metro browser.
    What the heck does this have to do with WP8?!
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sirfly2fly View Post
    There is one difference you have seen finished* WP8 and a not finished BB10

*they ran out of time to add a notification center so i guess they're not finished
    Any software developer will tell you that Software is never finished.

WP8 is a solid release. A notification centre is a nice-to-have, but not a dealbreaker for many especially with their Live-tile notification system.
    Thanked by:
    RubberChicken76 (11-07-2012) 
    richardat likes this.
    CrackBerry User

when you watch this, you will never see Steve in the same light again...
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by col_oddball View Post
    when you watch this, you will never see Steve in the same light again
    Wow. :what:
    For the best typing experience only one brand does it the best. That brand is BlackBerry.
    BlackBerry. Nobody likes a typo.

Check out my collection of CB and BB wallpapers
    CrackBerry Newbie

No doubt that WP8 Is a better upgrade and looks Slicker than all the previous WP Oses, One has to keep in mind that, RIM is Working on something that is REALLY Big and Revolutionary. It's not just a Bloody OS update, It's a Brand New Platform with a whole New Ecosystem. Everyone will want to give it a try for sure ; Atleast out of curiosity. And also BlackBerry 10 Will be the only Controlled Ecosystem after Apple IOS, I.e. Control over both Hardware and Software Parts.
    Let's consider from the Experience point of view ; WP8 will boast of different devices with the likes of Samsung, HTC, Nokia, etc. But here's where the real deal is. WP8 won't be a controlled Ecosystem. Once BB 10 Is launched successfully and is picking up steam, I see no reason why RIM wouldn't be able to make it to a 3rd Spot easily.
    BlackBerry 10 is going to attract a LOT of attention than it may seem now, It's poised to becoming a True Unique New Platform.
    Blackberry 9220 & Playbook By Choice
    CrackBerry User

Why do you all think that RIM is in the third position?

RIM was in that position temporarily until Sony released its figures. Sony shipped 8.8 million phones this quarter.

RIM is in the fourth position!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,567 Global Posts

I think Windows Phone would have had a better chance if the Nokia 920 didn't weigh almost half a pound. Guess they'll have to rely on HTC.
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Senixter View Post
    No doubt that WP8 Is a better upgrade and looks Slicker than all the previous WP Oses, One has to keep in mind that, RIM is Working on something that is REALLY Big and Revolutionary. It's not just a Bloody OS update, It's a Brand New Platform with a whole New Ecosystem. Everyone will want to give it a try for sure ; Atleast out of curiosity. .
    Wp7 was a brand new OS when it came out...it was supposed to be something BIG too. It failed for obvious reasons (marketing, lack of apps, slower hardware)
    now Microsoft has come out with WP8 which they are treating as an entirely new launch. Since market penetration wasn't that much, it will also be seen as a brand new experience just like BB10 for most people.

As mrfreetruth LOVES to remind us, not many people have used Wp7 before.

Now things have changed. Well over 120000 apps, aggressive pursuit of developers by MS, release of much better dev tools, better support from development engines like Unity and Unreal...ability to run apps coded for Win 8/RT Metro with slight modifications....a UI that looks like the very interesting Metro start screen on Windows 8 laptops....very decent hardware. WP8 has a much better chance at success this time around.

AT&T is selling the Lumia 920 for $99 on contract, $459 contract free. That includes a free wireless charging pad. Those are really great prices indeed. With increased support from the likes of Samsung and HTC and an impending release on China Mobile with a subscriber base as big as Verizon + AT&T combined, there's much hope from where MS is concerned.

And also BlackBerry 10 Will be the only Controlled Ecosystem after Apple IOS, I.e. Control over both Hardware and Software Parts.
    Let's consider from the Experience point of view ; WP8 will boast of different devices with the likes of Samsung, HTC, Nokia, etc. But here's where the real deal is. WP8 won't be a controlled Ecosystem.
    Microsoft dictates the minimum specs and hardware in ALL WP8 devices. There's some modification that OEMs are allowed, but it is NOT extensive. That makes it rather 'controlled' to me.

BlackBerry 10 is going to attract a LOT of attention than it may seem now, It's poised to becoming a True Unique New Platform.
    It can be argued that every other mobile OS out there is 'unique'. Firefox OS and LinuxOS for mobiles are pretty unique....that doesn't always translate to sales.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,567 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by texazzpete View Post
    With increased support from the likes of Samsung and HTC and an impending release on China Mobile with a subscriber base as big as Verizon + AT&T combined, there's much hope from where MS is concerned.
    I had heard about an impending deal for China Mobile to carry Nokia, but I hadn't realized it was finalized. CM is a pain in the arse to make for, because of its homebrew 3G/4G tech. If indeed they have inked a deal, it could be a huge boost for WP8. Nokia still has a significant presence and brand cache in China. Apple's still trying to get them on board, but it seems that's unlikely in the near term. It seems some people in gov don't want iPhones on CM.
    CrackBerry Newbie

The guy needs to smoke some weed and chill!!! It does not matter cause in the end I believe RIM will change the game!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,537 Global Posts

Unless Microsoft is going to sell QWERTY devices (Dell Venue Pro had potential!) they ain't toppling anything. Get to the back of the line!

Don't be afraid to THANK or LIKE

BBM: 7A03E5E9

What is the ultimate BlackBerry? The ultimate BlackBerry would be a device with the screen size of the Z10 along with the physical keyboard of the Q10 and the battery life of the Z30. This, would be the ultimate BlackBerry. Why they haven't built it yet remains one of the greatest mystery of BlackBerry.

CrackBerry Abuser

This guy has to justify his job and salary. Just imagine not being able to match Bill Gates' charisma. Windows may soon lose it's lead in the desktop market, I wish I had bookmarked the article about IT people teaching employees how to use Macs. By the way, I'm not a Mac user, Linux all the way except at work. Windows phone has gutted Nokia, expect more of the same.
    PS: Despite an earlier post, I have my Tour running fine, even with Sprint's attempts to activate (read; brick) a 9650 for me when I thought the Tour was fading (SD card problem). I can't wreck a BlackBerry but Sprint's "trained technicians" can.
    Tony Renier
    Green Bay, WI, USA

"Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed."
    G.K. Chesterton
    richardat likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,443 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TRlPPlN View Post
    hhmm...are they sure steve ballmer said topple?? or is that the journalists putting words in ballmer's mouth? Windows 8 will have a slice in the market no doubt but topple RIM?? only time will tell. I like windows 8. Windows will always have a big niche in the consumer and enterprise market. As for the phone, we just dont know if it will topple bb10.
    Well said. I have windows 8 and i like it a lot. I think it is the best windows os to date. it really speedup my laptop and i like that start button is gone. i like how metro is incorporated into windows. having said that this does not make me want to switch to mobile windows 8. i will stay with blackberry and i will pick up blackberry 10 once keyboard version is released. having said that i do not have high hopes for skype coming to bb10. i might be wrong but if microsoft sees bb10 as its direct competition than it is obvious that it will do nothing to help its competition. i think the best solution for rim is to capitalize on strong relationship with facebook and create competition to skype.
    MyHomeSpace.ca and MyCondoSpace.ca
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    56,010 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bitek View Post
    Well said. I have windows 8 and i like it a lot. I think it is the best windows os to date. it really speedup my laptop and i like that start button is gone. i like how metro is incorporated into windows. having said that this does not make me want to switch to mobile windows 8. i will stay with blackberry and i will pick up blackberry 10 once keyboard version is released. having said that i do not have high hopes for skype coming to bb10. i might be wrong but if microsoft sees bb10 as its direct competition than it is obvious that it will do nothing to help its competition. i think the best solution for rim is to capitalize on strong relationship with facebook and create competition to skype.
    I said the same. Like it on my lappy but I'm not using anything metro, one click to the desktop because the metro apps have literally no settings or options to them.

So I assume MS will be killing the android and iOS Skype apps then so no competitors have it? Oh don't forget macs.
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    the 50K CrackBerry challenge
    I'm no more qualified to say so because I own a BlackBerry
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,443 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by col_oddball View Post
    when you watch this, you will never see Steve in the same light again...
    He is no Steve Jobs. He does not inspire people the same.
    MyHomeSpace.ca and MyCondoSpace.ca
    Between Realities

Global Posts
    11,669 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kbz1960 View Post
    I said the same. Like it on my lappy but I'm not using anything metro, one click to the desktop because the metro apps have literally no settings or options to them.

So I assume MS will be killing the android and iOS Skype apps then so no competitors have it? Oh don't forget macs.
    I think doing so (killing Skype on other platforms) could hurt them. Those other platforms have cross-platform options.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast