Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Staples rumored to have Playbook from $199 for Black Friday

I was checking out some sites today to check out the Black Friday deals and it seems Staples in US is dropping the price on the Playbook as part of doorbuster deal (from 6AM to noon).

16GB: $199
    32GB: $249
    64GB: $399

Staples ad scan

Doorbusters always tend to be a bit of a pain... but I'm digressing!

Good luck finding the Playbook in case someone's looking for it!
    Last edited by gtamhankar; 11-09-2011 at 10:00 AM.
    Thanked by 4:
    AggreX (11-09-2011),  JR A (11-09-2011),  msmara (11-11-2011),  world traveler and former ceo (11-20-2011) 
    JR A, AggreX, msmara and 1 others like this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I'd def get one at that price. What a joke! Too bad black friday doesn't happen north of the border.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,964 Global Posts

For that price I might pick some up if this pans out.
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    26xxxxxx

I went to Best buy, to get the 16GB Playbook for $250. I waited for over a month, then they called me, to offer me the 64GB. version for $50 more because they had had problems with the shipping or something like that... so right now, I own a 64GB Blackberry Playbook that cost me just $300"!

And I love it!!! so, $400 for the 64GB? I wouldnt mind either...
    Curve 8520 > Bold 9700 > Bold 9780 > Torch 9800 > Bold 9930
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    898 Global Posts

Looks like my brother is getting a Playbook for Christmas. The big question is: was he good enough this year to get the 32GB? Just kidding.

Seriously. I strongly recommend you get a case. The BlackBerry convertible is awesome. This tablet is awesome.

I know there has been bad press on this but consider this:

It has full web browsing. yeah, HTML5 is the future but for the next two years Flash is it.
    It has a great VideoChat app. My wife and other family members use it all the time.
    It has a great form factor.
    It has better specs than the iPad2
    (You can upgrade software but you can't upgrade hardware)
    It has a bunch of apps that work great. Not as many as the competition but a bunch with more coming in daily. My favorite ones:
    facebook (which I can access on road trips via Bridge)
    BlueBox (share pictures and video with family and friends)
    Scrapbook (TAT app that can post directly to facebook)
    Package Tracking (for multiple carriers with maps and progress logs)
    GroovyNotes (Really flexible app that allows tags and voice recording)
    QFolio (stocks quotes or just save a google/finance portfolio to you home page)
    Podcasts (I like watching to CNN Anderson Cooper)
    SheetsToGo (I do a bit of work on spreadsheets and this free app (free to us) is nice
    My older son and I play a few games: NOVA2, Spiderman, Nebula, MimicR
    My younger son likes Galaxy Painting and Papa's Burgeria.

It is super portable. I just put it in my coat pocket and I take it everywhere.

It is the most secure tablet out there. I know no one cares but they should.

For those thinking about it, here is a recent review posted on CB.

http://zcint.co.uk/article/blackberr...ardware-review

If you have a BB phone, bridge saves you $50.00 bucks per month and at these price you pay for the tablet vs. a 3g equivalent in four months!!! Even tether, which I find inferior to Bridge by a mile, runs about $20.00 bucks.

This price is Crazy good. I purchased mine on day one and love it even at $599.00. I think my brother in law may be getting one for his family as well.
    Last edited by guerllamo7; 11-09-2011 at 11:51 AM.
    CrackBerry User

I got a 16gb at Staples with the rebate a couple months ago. There were no larger sizes. That's my only regret, but so far so good in terms of size.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,695 Global Posts
    PIN
    vokestackimbalance was detected

seems to be a good deal. I called this two months ago, I knew it would go for $199 on black friday
    I survived the Storm of 2008 and the PlayBook of 2011.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Do Staples carry 32GB and 64GB in stores? I check their website and it said only available for delivery. Does this mean on Black Friday that I have to order online?

My other dilemma is to get which storage capacity - 32 or 64? $250 for 32GB version is very nice but the extra storage will come in handy.

It is time to review what cases to get as well...lots to do on this one purchase.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts

Here is a supposed leaked scan of the ad.
    Here
    Just shows a 16gb.

UPDATE:
    Oops, I was to quick to post, went further and it showed the others. Looks like online ordering only depending on the store for the larger ones.
    Here
    Last edited by staffman28; 11-09-2011 at 02:53 PM.
    “There is a theory which states that if ever for any reason anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.” ~Douglas Adams
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    477 Global Posts

Still priced too high.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,405 Global Posts

Ok, this is a pretty elementary question for someone that is very familar with Blackberry phones (current 9810) and certainly with computers and servers in general--but please don't laugh at me for this question (lol-I'm even laughing). Both my wife and I have been with AT&T (first Cellular One, then PacBell, then ATT, then something else, then AT&T) since cell phones first came out in the late 80's. Due to some changes over the past 20+ years we ended up on a unlimited-grandfathered data plan for the last 10+ years and don't want to lose it so will never change. That said, if I were to buy a Playbook tablet, (which I am not at all famalir with), will I have to include it on our data plan or on another plan? Or does it work wirelessly though the many internet connections at home and office? Also, can someone explain why a tablet is better than a laptop that does not need a data plan? Thank you and you can quit laughing now
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

The playbook is a wifi only device so nothing really to do with your data plan. AT&T doesn't even enter the picture apart from the fact that there's a functionality called the Blackberry Bridge which allows you to use your BB handset's (9810 in your case) data plan and access the internet. AT&T doesn't restrict such usage and is not illegal or anything like that!

Since you have an unlimited plan I would advice you to get the playbook and enjoy the freedom of portable internet on the go!

Tablet vs Laptop... Well... Portability mainly, Access to your phone's data plan and any other source of secured wifi without any extra charge. There are things you can do on laptop which the current generation of tablets are underpowered but for most things like listening to music, watching movies, emails, surfing, light gaming they're more than capable.

Other folks can chime in on this one... Hope this helps!
    Thanked by:
    go1ndr (11-09-2011) 
    go1ndr likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,405 Global Posts

Thank you for the prompt reply! It's much appreciated and well explained. I've never liked the iPad though most of my friends have them, but like so many business men and women, I use my torch for business/email/calendar/spreadsheets, internet,etc and never for gaming.
    I've never liked the virtual keyboard and have always had the actual keyboard on all of my many smartphones, from the original Palm Treos to Smamsung Epix to Blackberrys. But I can certainly see the advantage of the Playbook as long as I can use it for emails (I currently use pop3) and for internet/word docs, etc. Do you sync it with desktop like you do with the Torch to make eveything the same ie-computer/handheld/tablet?
    And one last question--I know that a lot of apps are not available but most of the standard ones are, correct--like BB Travel/Messenger,etc. Thank you once again!
    Last edited by go1ndr; 11-09-2011 at 04:48 PM. Reason: typos

PIN
    Optional, but not needed.

Dammit, is it like that in Canada?!?! It would be somewhat around $220 after tax!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,405 Global Posts

Still trying to decide if the Playbook is for me or maybe a netbook as I mostly need it for emails while on the road for business. From what I have read, you have to bridge or teather your BB phone to the Playbook in order to do emails, etc. That seems like a pain but if it isn't, any feed back would be appreciated. Also most posts say don't buy it until the upgrade--is it coming (the upgrade).

PIN
    Optional, but not needed.

Quote Originally Posted by go1ndr View Post
    Still trying to decide if the Playbook is for me or maybe a netbook as I mostly need it for emails while on the road for business. From what I have read, you have to bridge or teather your BB phone to the Playbook in order to do emails, etc. That seems like a pain but if it isn't, any feed back would be appreciated. Also most posts say don't buy it until the upgrade--is it coming (the upgrade).
    Making up your mind would be better. The update, when it does arrive, you will get a notification or you can check under the Software Update area of the settings to check occasionally. When it does arrive, you'll be able to download and install it.

Whoever told you not to buy it, likely never had one before, or has a different tablet, or had nothing better do to.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Thanked by:
    go1ndr (11-10-2011) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    348 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ask/PM me

Damn it. More love for Canada please!
    Nokia 5100 > Nokia 3390 > Motorola T720i > Siemens M55 > Sony Ericsson k700i > Nokia N73 > BB Pearl 8110 > BB 9000 > BB 9700 > BB 9900
    PB 16GB
    CrackBerry Abuser

Never feel bad about asking a Q. We all had to learn this at some point.

I want to add that you can do really nice professional presentations directly from a PlayBook thru an HDMI cable. No annoying (and expensive) projector needed. I keep discovering more things I like about my PB & since the hardware is in place it will only keep getting better & better.

Although the keyboard is amazing I still need to use my laptop when I have some serious typing to do. At some point I plan to get a blue tooth keyboard & mouse.

I would encourage you to look at the videos on this site explaining various functions. You will understand more easily than written responses from us. Honestly, at that sale price I can't think of a better way to up your professional game. Good luck! I have at least one Christmas gift figured out now ...
    Thanked by:
    go1ndr (11-10-2011) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me...

Amazon Germany: 32GB Version 587Euro

249Dollar(181Euro) is a superb Price. I wish i could buy one.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    420 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Caymancroc View Post
    Still priced too high.
    I agree, in the wake of the Touchpad fire sale, I think 79.99 is a reasonable price for a 16GB Playbook.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by dianeselwyn View Post
    I agree, in the wake of the Touchpad fire sale, I think 79.99 is a reasonable price for a 16GB Playbook.
    I'd be comfortable with 150 for a playbook. Kindle tablets are going to blow out sales this Christmas.

Global Posts
    5,932 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mustangv8 View Post
    I'd be comfortable with 150 for a playbook. Kindle tablets are going to blow out sales this Christmas.
    My kids are getting Kindle Fires. They won't care that it only has 8GB (6GB useable), no Bluetooth, no camera, etc., etc.
    BB 950, BB 6280, BB 7290, BB 8800, BB 9000, BB 9800, BB 9810, Galaxy Note II
    PlayBook 64GB Google Nexus 10
    Galaxy Gear

BlackBerry user since 2001 . . . until 2013
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,405 Global Posts

Much Thanks to everyone for your answers and opinions. I'm not sure I'm crazy about having to teather your BB phone to tablet in order to get emails, but really, we could use our webmail connection on the web if I was too lazy to hook up the phone. Pretty minor I guess now that I think about it.
    Checking it out this weekend so thanks again to all!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,405 Global Posts

PS: Just read a post on Blackberry's forum from some guy (Cooper) saying that a "trusted friend" of his at RIM told him that PB was going to be discontued and is a dead issue! I actually can't believe this rumor but who knows. The other people seem to take him seriously. Can't imagine that they would do that as surely updates will bring it up to speed to compete with the others out there. Anyway, since we were on the subject, thought I'd interject this little bit of gossip. see post at: PlayBook being discontinued, Media Players on the horizon - BlackBerry Forums Support Community

PS: this is probably a hoax that some person posted. I saw a couple of others similar to it that were from earlier posts. I wouldn't put much into it. Most likely not true!
    Last edited by go1ndr; 11-10-2011 at 07:24 PM. Reason: added PS remarks
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    990 Global Posts

I did read the staples and office max are no longer going to carry the playbook after their stock has been depleted. It's just my opinion, but I feel that RIM will eventually walk away from it also. For a business device, it lacks. And as a consumer device it lacks. Where exactly does it fit in?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast