Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Master

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default [Speculation] BB10 - access to network television could be the killer function

While out hunting and gathering Blackberry news I came across this post from a few months back. It sounds intriguing, but is it possible or realistic?

As free terrestrial broadcast television has gone digital and high-definition (in the United States at least), RIM could quickly and easily become known as the manufacturer that put instant television in everyone's hands. While streaming over IP is subject to network conditions, 4G availability, and the long wait for stream caching, dependable access to network television could be the killer function that appeals not only to enterprise and IT wonks but also builds on the youth buzz that BBM never quite exploited.
    The above was a comment from this article:

Could RIM's
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,166 Global Posts

dependable access to network television could be the killer function that appeals not only to enterprise and IT wonks
    Enterprise killer function, what?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    171 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by notafanboy View Post
    Enterprise killer function, what?
    I think it's used for killing competing businesses to dominate their specific market, but I could be wrong.
    ha jk
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,233 Global Posts

television could be the killer function that appeals not only to enterprise and IT wonks but also builds on the youth buzz that BBM never quite exploited.
    NO

Enterprise and IT "wonks" don't want you wasting corporate bandwidth on television shows.

And as unlimited plans are becoming a thing of the past, don't know how many "youths" or others will want to give up a portion of their monthly allotment of GB's a month to TV viewing - with commercials. Besides.... depending on the network some shows are already available for viewing on your PlayBook, Android or iOS devices.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,122 Global Posts
    PIN
    2AB9C463

The article rambles. I get the feeling that the author didn't really know what he was talking about. I am glad he can look on BB10 with a positive attitude, but ignorant is ignorant. I can already stream hours of live network related stuff with my carrier and my BB, I have been using my 9900 as my access card for almost a year. The original blog was written in July. That's a lifetime ago in tech terms.
    Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum...
    Z10 (v10.2.x.xxx Rogers), Playbook (v2.1.0.1314) | Rooted SGS IV
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,045 Global Posts

Default Re: [Speculation] BB10 - access to network television could be the killer function

That quote is simply from a comment on that article... not sure how much truth there is to it.

I am wondering which tablet/phone manufacturer will include an ATSC tuner for digital TV reception though, and if it would even be functional without much of an antenna.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Not realistic for actually receiving a digital signal, even with the rabbit ears in my house you have to tweak incessantly to get the right signal... and readjust for different channels. I got the cheap antenna, I'm sure there are better ones, but not aware of one small enough to be packed inside a phone.

As far as streaming... doubt it.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts

You'd burn through even a generous 6GB data plan in a few days if you actually watched any amount of television network broadcasts. Even watching pure news channels would gobble that 6GB data plan in a relatively short time plus any normal data plan usage has to be figured into the allocation. Most people do well to afford a 1GB data plan and unlimited data plans are non-existent in reality. I think Bell Mobility, in Canada, ran advertisements promoting their new LTE network claiming subscribers could watch up to 5 hours each month for free; five hours over the course of a month is insignificant.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    648 Global Posts
    PIN

Wifi? Chill out kids
    BlackBerry Cyclone is what he's really alluding to
    And BlackBerry compression is growing with BES 10
    There's air of possibility although the author is pontificating.

While developers have been building apps, other teams at RIM have been meeting with content partners, music labels, networks, and studios to make sure we have an amazing catalog of music and video in one storefront with one login on your BlackBerry 10 smartphone. We’ll have more on that as we get closer to launch, including details on country availability for this additional content – but there is some news I can share with you today.
    Why would RIM be meeting with all these content providers when they outsource Music and Video to 7Digital and Rovi?
    *rolls eyes*
    BlackBerry 10 is a game changer, it's going to shatter the competition and walk over the pieces and reclaim its throne.
    BlackBerry 10 is not late. It's early. @JMZNVS @BBRYFLOW