Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,444 Global Posts

Default Re: Should we be scare (Microsoft planning its own smartphone, reports say)

Sucks for Nokia. Nokia is done imo.
    MyHomeSpace.ca and MyCondoSpace.ca
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    2,147 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenGod View Post
    Unless they offer something new and innovative, a MSFT smartphone would be a total failure considering that the current smartphone environment is too crowded.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9220 using Tapatalk
    Same what people said about the tablet market. And look where is the surface now. Getting. Sold out signs everywhere and very crowded MS stores. An MS phone will be very good
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    7,000 Global Posts

Default Re: Should we be scare (Microsoft planning its own smartphone, reports say)

Quote Originally Posted by bitek View Post
    Sucks for Nokia. Nokia is done imo.
    Or the Elop/Microsoft backup plan for Elop running the company into the ground is to make it cheaper for a Microsoft buyout.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by lnichols View Post
    Or the Elop/Microsoft backup plan for Elop running the company into the ground is to make it cheaper for a Microsoft buyout.
    That was and really is Plan A. Microsoft don't need Nokia, but they must secure some essential assets in Nokia.

What RIM needs to do is keeping Microsoft at a safe distance otherwise RIM will end up the same way as Nokia. RIM has the right strategy to get out of their crisis and that is hard work. Nokia tried to short cut its way out with Microsoft and will die because of it.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    992 Global Posts

Yeah I don't think this makes it any different than Nokia making a windows phone. It is still a windows phone powered phone. They might get a little more press for it being a Microsoft branded phone though since they haven't really done that before outside of the kin debacle. It'll be interesting to see where everyone stands mid way through next year
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,854 Global Posts

Windows 8 looks great on a PC and on a big screen with the active tiles, but on mobile I think it is just plain ugly.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Default Should we be scare (Microsoft planning its own smartphone, reports say)

I think RIM's main threat at this stage comes from W8.Its a little raw at this stage and is lacking in Apps but over time I think W8 will really gather momentum. My impression at this stage is that overall BB10 is the more developed OS . Read a top write up on Verge on W8/N920.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by andrew1953 View Post
    I think RIM's main threat at this stage comes from W8.Its a little raw at this stage and is lacking in Apps but over time I think W8 will really gather momentum. My impression at this stage is that overall BB10 is the more developed OS . Read a top write up on Verge on W8/N920.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    There is no way on God's green earth that BB10 will have more apps than Wp8 at launch, sorry

I've seen nothing to indicate that BB10 is any more 'developed' than WP8. With the exception of the app count and perhaps a notification centre, there's nothing that says WP8 is any less refined than iOS and Android 4.2.
    Banned

I have to question the power of analysis displayed by many of you here. A Surface phone will be of IMMENSE benefit to nokia, not the other way round.

Windows Phone 8 Ecosystem needs to grow. A Surface phone that sells millions will also help to spur the ecosystem on, attract developers and bring more people into the WP8 fold. Then nokia has a potentially much bigger target market. Nearly every single review of WP8 harps on about the dearth of apps compared to iOS and Android.

If WP8 takes off, there should be loads more WP8 devices sold worldwide than RIM BB10 devices. With MS's superior dev tools and cross-compatibility with Win 8 and Win RT, I expect more devs to code for Microsoft than for RIM. Sad, but true.

You have to understand Nokia's strength. They can churn out lots of high quality phones in a short time. They did that with Symbian to get to the top before. With a mature OS and a thriving ecosystem. Nokia can go back to releasing 3 -4 high end phones per year and return to profitability. A well-received surface phone would be a significant boon for Nokia, not a bust.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    40 Global Posts

Default Should we be scare (Microsoft planning its own smartphone, reports say)

Quote Originally Posted by 12Dandaman View Post
    Same what people said about the tablet market. And look where is the surface now. Getting. Sold out signs everywhere and very crowded MS stores. An MS phone will be very good
    Whoa! I didn't know that! I'd like to see where the Msft Surface stands next year in terms of marketshare in the tablet industry. If it really is selling well then good for them, they might just have a chance.

But going back to smartphones, I think that if they can't offer anything new in comparison with the existing Windows Phones then they won't really stand a chance, I think.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9220 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    7,000 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by texazzpete View Post
    I have to question the power of analysis displayed by many of you here. A Surface phone will be of IMMENSE benefit to nokia, not the other way round.

Windows Phone 8 Ecosystem needs to grow. A Surface phone that sells millions will also help to spur the ecosystem on, attract developers and bring more people into the WP8 fold. Then nokia has a potentially much bigger target market. Nearly every single review of WP8 harps on about the dearth of apps compared to iOS and Android.

If WP8 takes off, there should be loads more WP8 devices sold worldwide than RIM BB10 devices. With MS's superior dev tools and cross-compatibility with Win 8 and Win RT, I expect more devs to code for Microsoft than for RIM. Sad, but true.

You have to understand Nokia's strength. They can churn out lots of high quality phones in a short time. They did that with Symbian to get to the top before. With a mature OS and a thriving ecosystem. Nokia can go back to releasing 3 -4 high end phones per year and return to profitability. A well-received surface phone would be a significant boon for Nokia, not a bust.
    OK but why would a "Surface Phone" sell better than a Nokia, HTC, or Samsung Windows Phone 8 device that is adhering to Microsoft's specifications in the licensing of the OS? What would be the difference between a "Surface Phone" and a Lumia 920? How long can Nokia keep losing money (even with Microsoft's $1Billion per year payment for Nokia to use Windows) before they can't churn out any phones? Only thing I can see is Microsoft making there own phone would allow Microsoft to lose tons of money on the hardware of the phone like they did with the Xbox and Xbox 360 to try and gain marketshare, where a company like Nokia can't keep losing money, and companies like HTC and Samsung won't stay with it if WP8 isn't profitable for them. And if that is Microsoft's plan, that implies a long Xbox-like strategy where they expect to lose money for a while and eventually come out on top in marketshare. Microsoft can afford that, but OEM's licensing the OS cannot. Also this strategy isn't guaranteed to work.
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    56,010 Global Posts

What is a surface phone?
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    the 50K CrackBerry challenge
    I'm no more qualified to say so because I own a BlackBerry

Global Posts
    7,000 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kbz1960 View Post
    What is a surface phone?
    I think that is what he is assuming a WP8 device released by Microsoft would be called to keep continuity with the name of the Microsoft tablet.
    CrackBerry Geek

Global Posts
    26,784 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kbz1960 View Post
    What is a surface phone?
    It is a rumored device. Wall Street Journal claims Microsoft is working on it, but nobody knows for sure. Surface Phone Rumors Resurface -- Is It Real? (MSFT)
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    56,010 Global Posts

You think they would really call the phone surface also? I guess surface = mfg by msft?
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,172 Global Posts
    PIN
    2aed1ace

The promotion of the Surface tablet is going strong, and I must admit the TV spots are well done. Since MS lost the use of "Metro" to describe their interface, and the Surface tablet may well be a success, it would make sense for them to go with this name for a mobile phone. In terms of creating fresh brand identity, it would be a good move. Windows 8, the desktop OS, may be the heart of the ecosystem, but it's also the most boring part. It's yet another version of Windows. But the Surface is an exciting new product, and if they can keep the excitement going in a phone, they'll have something, just as the iPhone was able to get momentum from the successful iPod Touch.

I don't know if there's any truth to the Surface Phone rumor, but I think the rebranding of Windows is smart.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,567 Global Posts

Well, the first reviews of the Nokia 920 are starting to appear. It's interesting at the very least.

Lumia 920 Review: Just Too Damn Heavy
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,049 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrfreetruth View Post
    windows sucks and is hated by eveyone.
    You've talked to everyone?
    I have yet to see a single WP7 user...not one...not one single user..
    So the millions of phones they sold last quarter (according to IDC) are irrelevant and we should focus on your scientific market analysis instead?

Silly fanboy comments ...
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,049 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 12Dandaman View Post
    An MS phone will be very good
    Maybe. With Microsoft one never knows. I personally like what they've done and think it would be silly to rule them out. But assuming Microsoft can wander in and dominate 'cause they're Microsoft is silly too.

See:

Zune
    Kin
    Windows Mobile
    Microsoft Money

etc.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    56,010 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Roo Zilla View Post
    Well, the first reviews of the Nokia 920 are starting to appear. It's interesting at the very least.

Lumia 920 Review: Just Too Damn Heavy
    Too heavy huh. Just might be a phone I'd like, they are getting too light and too thin these days.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12