Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
    Banned

Global Posts
    527 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Should we be scare (Microsoft planning its own smartphone, reports say)

Microsoft planning its own smartphone, reports say - The Washington Post

Microsoft has reportedly been mulling plans for its own smartphone for months, and a report from the Wall Street Journal on Thursday has drove the rumors back into high gear.

According to the report, the tech giant is already testing its smartphone with suppliers in Asia. The move would continue the firm’s push toward becoming hardware and software company in same vein as Apple.

Players will be able to broadcast live as they play, directly from the game.

Microsoft and its chief executive, Steve Ballmer, have been fairly straightforward about the company’s plans to produce more hardware in the future. The company recently released a new tablet called the Surface that it hopes will propel it into its new era as a company focused on devices and services, not just software.

Of course, the company has a checkered past when it comes to hardware. The Xbox gaming console has been a runaway success, but the same could not be said of the Zune music player or the short-lived, socially focused Microsoft smartphone known as the Kin.

So far, Microsoft has seen much better success using the partner model that let it thrive in the PC world. But the company announced a partnership with Nokia in February 2011 and has struggled to get many consumers interested in its Windows Phone operating system on phones made by partners including Samsung, LG and HTC devices.

With the introduction of the Surface, however, the company signaled that it wanted to make its own hardware to best showcase the operating system and the firm’s growing presence in the cloud storage space.

The report is the strongest indication yet that the company is considering making that same decision in the smarpthone space. Unnamed “people familiar with the situation” in Taipei, Taiwan, told the newspaper that the model being tested in Asia has a screen between four and five inches, which would place it a size range between Apple’s iPhone and Samsung’s Galaxy S III.

In a conference call last week, the report said, Nokia chief executive Steven Elop said that he would welcome competition from his partners at Microsoft because it would spur competition. He said, however, that he was not aware of any plans for Microsoft to bring a phone to market.
    CrackBerry Addict

Default Re: Should we be scare (Microsoft planning its own smartphone, reports say)

I think it is more critical for nokia and apple, and not so relevant for bb. RIM has a strategy and don't think they will change because M$ builds their own phone. Seems more like M$ reaction to Motorola /Google and kiss of death to nokia.

Nokia was not so long ago the top and most recognized brand in the world, meanwhile 'killed' Meego and symbian is for sure not a future proof OS. They gaved up independency for wp, and now it looks like M$ back stabbed nokia.
    00stryder and Dapper37 like this.
    Banned

Default Re: Should we be scare (Microsoft planning its own smartphone, reports say)

Not Blackberry related...sorry....BTW windows sucks and is hated by eveyone. WP7 was a total flop and I have yet to see a single WP7 user...not one...not one single user...NOT ONE....NOT EVEN ONE. WP8 will flop since people hate windows...people hate micorsoft. I have yet to hear one person even talk about WP8...not one...NOT EVEN one person.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,953 Global Posts

I have yet to see any one with Windows Phone in public.
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    65,347 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by leafs123 View Post
    I have yet to see any one with Windows Phone in public.
    You must live in the same area as mrfreetruth. I haven't seen one either but I don't really look.
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    the 50K CrackBerry challenge
    Posted from my phone or pc or tablet that are no better than anyone else's
    CrackBerry Master

As Kevins put it, MS have had got 18 months to upstage Blackberry from 3rd spot but they failed miserably, I can't see them ever gaining on mobile front unless they buy RIM. Surface tablet is doomed to be failure like Zune. Surface phone?? please forget it
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by mrfreetruth View Post
    Not Blackberry related...sorry....BTW windows sucks and is hated by eveyone. WP7 was a total flop and I have yet to see a single WP7 user...not one...not one single user...NOT ONE....NOT EVEN ONE. WP8 will flop since people hate windows...people hate micorsoft. I have yet to hear one person even talk about WP8...not one...NOT EVEN one person.
    I know one person which has a HTC/wp.

To be honest, it looks amazing at first look... But I am pretty sure I would get tired of it really quickly... Just too 'much' graphical transitions, distracting homescreen with moving tiles, etc.

And of course, M$ and Windows brand is not on top of my favorite list. But, M$ is moving fwd...
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,063 Global Posts

I think it will be interesting to see what they make on their own. I don't think it could be any worse then the other vendors are doing for them. They don't seem to selling that well and I don't know of anyone with one.
    BB10 Powered by QNX RTOS.
    CrackBerry User

Your bias is showing...
    00stryder likes this.
    CrackBerry User

But it doesn't have a notification centre :c

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Addict

Why should I be scared? The more competition the better. RIM has to gain my support for having superior products, not because it's name is RIM.
    00stryder likes this.

Global Posts
    24,247 Global Posts
    PIN
    24DA0A39

its not different than nokia, htc and samsung all making windows 8 phones really.
    ~Matt
    Nexus 5, Z10 LE, White Lumia 521, 32GB Nook HD+ & 16GB PB, 32 GB Dell Venue 8 Pro
    @howarmat

Global Posts
    5,861 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6927F7

I don't think we ever need to "be scare" of competition.

Windows Phone 8 has a half-decent chance of being disruptive, and disruption is good for RIM. Why? Right now, a lot of the buying public sees little in the smartphone universe past Apple and Samsung. If Microsoft can successfully shake buyers out of that tree, some of them might wind up looking at BB10 and preferring it.

As for the potential success of WP8? Remember that MS has been trying to break into mobile since the late '90s, and they couldn't even beat Palm. History is definitely NOT on their side. WP8 does look promising, and if the integration with Win8 is as good as MS claims it is, it might just find itself a market.

I've seen a lot of partisan sniping at Windows 8 and Microsoft in general, but it would be foolish to dismiss them too quickly. Win 8 is surprisingly good, and makes for a refreshing difference. If Win8 succeeds in the market, we may well see a fair market of people who want a handheld with that same consistent interface.
    CrackBerry User

You guys say "We" like you work for RIM. Whatever happened to being a consumer and choosing a product that best fits you and makes the most sense?

I evaluate all products (have yet to look at wp8), and I can tell you each one has features that you can admire. I've never understood why someone would align themselves with a brand. The other day I had a Microsoft rep talking to me about WP8. He was literally just bragging the out of his device, and I understood why. He WORKS for Microsoft. He wants their products to succeed.

I find the term iSheep, or sheeple funny...Because it turns out that apple didn't turn them into fanboys, but rather they are just fan boys...and they come in all sorts of shapes, sizes, and brands...
    Thunderbuck and rnhld like this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,567 Global Posts

Surface Phone has potential to be something significant in the market. That's not to say it will sell well, but it could very well define the physical aspects of WP8. As it stands, one of the major attractions of Surface RT is that it's industrial design compares favorably with iPad, even Oprah commented that it "felt like a Mercedes." If MS can make a phone with that kind of fit and finish, it could very well inspire their partners to produce devices on a similar high level, perhaps creating a "standard" of what Windows Phone should look like. Whether you like iOS or not, or the size of screen, or the home button, or whatever, most will agree that Apple makes products that have a very high degree of polish to them. It's a major reason people are drawn to them. Perhaps MS is trying to create a line of products that can compete on that level.
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    65,347 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbuck View Post
    I don't think we ever need to "be scare" of competition.

Windows Phone 8 has a half-decent chance of being disruptive, and disruption is good for RIM. Why? Right now, a lot of the buying public sees little in the smartphone universe past Apple and Samsung. If Microsoft can successfully shake buyers out of that tree, some of them might wind up looking at BB10 and preferring it.

As for the potential success of WP8? Remember that MS has been trying to break into mobile since the late '90s, and they couldn't even beat Palm. History is definitely NOT on their side. WP8 does look promising, and if the integration with Win8 is as good as MS claims it is, it might just find itself a market.

I've seen a lot of partisan sniping at Windows 8 and Microsoft in general, but it would be foolish to dismiss them too quickly. Win 8 is surprisingly good, and makes for a refreshing difference. If Win8 succeeds in the market, we may well see a fair market of people who want a handheld with that same consistent interface.
    I can agree to a point. I like win8 on my lappy right now but I pretty much ignore the metro side so I'm not using the metro apps. I have outlook installed etc. A lot of people on windows forums hate the start page and will install the app that boots you right to the desktop with a start button and all so I can't imagine those people using the metro apps either but there will be a lot of people who will because all they do is surf, email, chat and the like.

For me I really don't need my phone tablet and computer to all be the same but many will like that.
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    the 50K CrackBerry challenge
    Posted from my phone or pc or tablet that are no better than anyone else's
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,355 Global Posts
    PIN
    @getdjmac

So not one person you say :?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,156 Global Posts

This poster must have this text in a macro, or in some clipboard type program.
    CrackBerry Abuser

No,not at all there is a lot of top quality gear coming down the road mainly from W8 software/hardware. Apple's latest effort is a real shoot themselves in the foot effort. But Motorola,HTC,Nokia,Samsung are all coming up with top W8 phones.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,380 Global Posts

Ya, don't see how MS doing it would be more of a concern for RIM as opposed to OEMs, specifically Nokia.

But I got the feeling from something Balmer said, I forget what, but it seems MS has somewhat been forced into this role since all the OEMs don't seem to be doing anything with their platform so somebody has to do it. I'm rooting for Windows somewhat. The more options the better, although it seems some people only want android and ios on top.

Funny title, I don't think I'll ever be scared of competition for these companies. Seems like the most irrelevant emotion. I'm a big RIM fan obviously but I'm never scared for them, its a company.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    7,234 Global Posts

I don't think people aren't buying Windows Phones now because Microsoft isn't making them, so how would Microsoft making the phone going to make the phone more attractive? The OEM makers like Nokia and HTC already have to make a phone to OS specs, and Microsoft basically is in control of an Elop controlled Nokia anyway. I think the only way Microsoft starts making there own phone is when the OEM's decide Windows just doesn't have something that will sell, and Elop gets tossed from Nokia by investors because WP8 doesn't take off. I see this as Microsoft actions as hedging on that bet of no one willing to put the OS on a device in the near future.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,576 Global Posts

Nice job doing a copy paste of your exact same rant (I can't call your stuff "posts") in 3 different threads now. As you can see, yeah... we noticed.
    Carrier controlled updates is the worst smartphone spec of them all
    Nexus 4
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    27F48177

Even if Microsoft makes a phone my BlackBerry will not stop working so no reason to be scared.
    CrackBerry Abuser

If Microsoft creates a phone, then HTC and Nokia should be more scared than RIM.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    40 Global Posts

Unless they offer something new and innovative, a MSFT smartphone would be a total failure considering that the current smartphone environment is too crowded.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9220 using Tapatalk
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast