Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By mrfreetruth
  • 1 Post By mrfreetruth
  • 1 Post By belfastdispatcher
    Banned

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Should we be scard? (Windows Phone 8 Doesn’t Have A Notification Centre )

Should RIM be scared that microsoft doesn't have a noification Centre because it ran out of time? I for one hope BB10 has a notification centre but maybe it's ok to release a phone that's missing something like a notifiction centre. What do you guys think?

Windows Phone 8 Doesn’t Have A Notification Centre Because Microsoft ‘Ran Out of Time’

Windows Phone 8 Doesn’t Have A Notification Centre Because Microsoft ‘Ran Out of Time’ | Gizmodo Australia
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,355 Global Posts
    PIN
    @getdjmac

Default Re: Should we be scard? (Windows Phone 8 Doesn’t Have A Notification Centre )

Really, no notification center. They ran out of time? I thought MS had more developers and money than you can shake a phone at. What gives?
    Rip them apart... Opps sorry its MS not RIM.. Its ok little softy... (smiling)
    CrackBerry Abuser

Default Re: Should we be scard? (Windows Phone 8 Doesn’t Have A Notification Centre )

just a couple more months till we see bb10 shine.
    Patiently waited for BB10. Now sporting AT&T Z10
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts

?I thought people were talking about the Windows 8 notification centre as being a really good new experience (a few months ago when it was still coming soon)
    So did they take it out then?

Proud Owner of a BlackBerry Q10

Banned

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts

i really hope microsoft creates a blackberry-hub sort of notification system
    Banned

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts

or the iOS's drag down sort of system
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,579 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by qyk1010101 View Post
    or the iOS's drag down sort of system
    Actually, Apple cribbed that from Android
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,579 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper37 View Post
    Really, no notification center. They ran out of time? I thought MS had more developers and money than you can shake a phone at. What gives?
    WP8 saw Windows Phone move from the CE kernel to the NT kernel underpinning Windows 8. if you think that's a small task, think again.

It's actually a good sign that they admit this. They've released a pretty high quality OS on time. No central notification centre is a missing feature, but it's not that terrible since the Live tile system keeps notifications front and centre too. At least by admitting it was pretty high on their priority list, you just know it'll come in an update soon.

WP8 also brings carrier independent OTA updates so once MS is done with this update, it'll be pushed to all phones without the usual Android delay.

Finally, if by your last line you're trying to insinuate that the media has been kind to WP/MS, i'd advise you to move out from the rock you've been hiding under. Microsoft doesn't get a free pass from the tech media. Go check out the overly harsh reviews of the Surface from the likes of Gizmodo which is strongly at variance with actual user experience.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    27F48177

Quote Originally Posted by texazzpete View Post
    WP8 saw Windows Phone move from the CE kernel to the NT kernel underpinning Windows 8. if you think that's a small task, think again.

It's actually a good sign that they admit this. They've released a pretty high quality OS on time. No central notification centre is a missing feature, but it's not that terrible since the Live tile system keeps notifications front and centre too. At least by admitting it was pretty high on their priority list, you just know it'll come in an update soon.

WP8 also brings carrier independent OTA updates so once MS is done with this update, it'll be pushed to all phones without the usual Android delay.

Finally, if by your last line you're trying to insinuate that the media has been kind to WP/MS, i'd advise you to move out from the rock you've been hiding under. Microsoft doesn't get a free pass from the tech media. Go check out the overly harsh reviews of the Surface from the likes of Gizmodo which is strongly at variance with actual user experience.
    It's not a good sign, they had all the time in the world and they threw plenty money at it.

People are fed up with buying a product in the hope they'll get software updates later, nobody falls for that anymore.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,579 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by belfastdispatcher View Post
    It's not a good sign, they had all the time in the world and they threw plenty money at it.

People are fed up with buying a product in the hope they'll get software updates later, nobody falls for that anymore.
    The didn't have 'all the time in the world'. They had a year, tops. And the OS feels complete, with every major part in place.
    Windows Phone had a pretty good track record when it comes to updates (except when it came to the major transition between CE and NT kernels). Ditto for iOS. People buy what works, and WP8 most definitely does work very well.
    Once the apps come out, they'll be on par with the competition in every regard and exceed them in some.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by texazzpete View Post
    The didn't have 'all the time in the world'. They had a year, tops. And the OS feels complete, with every major part in place.
    Windows Phone had a pretty good track record when it comes to updates (except when it came to the major transition between CE and NT kernels). Ditto for iOS. People buy what works, and WP8 most definitely does work very well.
    Once the apps come out, they'll be on par with the competition in every regard and exceed them in some.
    WP is over two years old so I would really say that they had a lot of time implementing this.

I would also say that I doubt the competence of Microsoft when it comes to creating a mobile operating system. It's been over 10 years now where MS tries to create a descent mobile OS and they failed constantly. Windows Mobile was actually in my opinion their best creation but they decided to go completely new, several times now since that. Also they seem to lack basic understanding, for example having the same volume setting for ring tone and multimedia is pretty basic common sense and I'm not sure if this is fixed in WP8 but it shouldn't take that long to begin with.
    CrackBerry Abuser

At the end of the day, MS is releasing something and we still have no firm date from RIM. It's Movember already, doesn't RIM know when their phones will be on offer?

People won't hassle MS for a delay in one component. WP8 hasn't been delayed two years.
    Thanked by:
    Rooster99 (11-05-2012) 
    Banned

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by belfastdispatcher View Post

EXACTLY. At least they didn't say 60 days.
    Thanked by:
    Rooster99 (11-05-2012) 
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,579 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AluminiumRims View Post
    WP is over two years old so I would really say that they had a lot of time implementing this.
    They took time to change almost everything from scratch...moving from WInCE base to NT base. Most of the changes were under the hood to build a solid foundation for the platform to grow on. That takes time to put in place and they've managed that pretty well.

Don't forget that in the two years you talk about, they had to come up with TWO major updates. First to add Copy-paste and other system wide tweaks, the next to roll out WP 7.5 (mango) with a lot of added features. All that done in parallel with WP8, draining valuable resources.

I would also say that I doubt the competence of Microsoft when it comes to creating a mobile operating system. It's been over 10 years now where MS tries to create a descent mobile OS and they failed constantly. .
    'Failed constantly'? When did you start using smartphones? At it's high point, Windows mobile had 47% of worldwide smartphone shipments in 2007. I doubt RIM ever achieved that marketshare level worldwide.

The only bigger player in the world was Nokia's Symbian. Both Symbian and Windows Mobile were the tops those days.

Also they seem to lack basic understanding, for example having the same volume setting for ring tone and multimedia is pretty basic common sense and I'm not sure if this is fixed in WP8 but it shouldn't take that long to begin with.
    You're right. There are still many things that are missing...this link captures lots of 'em.

http://forums.wpcentral.com/windows-...ion/200095.htm
    Banned

Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper37 View Post
    You are 100% right if it was RIM it would be all over the news day and night. WP7 was a total flop and from a personal view point I had not seen a SINGLE USER of WP7....not one...NOT ONE SINGLE user...NOT one. Microsofe is known for making promises and not keeping them. or you can Trust them...LOL

Dapper37 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Well, I was thinking of checking out the new phones, but not until they have some sort of notification hub.
    Blatant placeholder signature.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,579 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrfreetruth View Post
    You are 100% right if it was RIM it would be all over the news day and night. WP7 was a total flop and from a personal view point I had not seen a SINGLE USER of WP7....not one...NOT ONE SINGLE user...NOT one. Microsofe is known for making promises and not keeping them. or you can Trust them...LOL
    You're gonna keep posting this on all articles where we're discussing WP8?

Anyway, WP7 is dead. Wp8 is here now. We'll know in the next couple of months how this next phase pans out for Microsoft.
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    2B1BC93C

Quote Originally Posted by bk1022 View Post
    At the end of the day, MS is releasing something and we still have no firm date from RIM. It's Movember already, doesn't RIM know when their phones will be on offer?

People won't hassle MS for a delay in one component. WP8 hasn't been delayed two years.
    You do realize they said it'll be available Q1 of 2012 right? Last time I checked, no one really announces a release date 3+ months ahead of time nowadays.

And just cause it hasn't been made public doesn't mean RIM doesn't know either. Your logic is flawed.

PIN
    27F48177

If WPP8 is only a year old and clearly not finished, they should not release it.

But if also begs the question, what have they been doing since the days of WinMo if they have so much money to throw around?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,283 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bk1022 View Post

what OS was delayed 2 years? if you're saying BB10 was, you better get your facts right BB10 was announced that it was going to be used at dev con 2011 and the apparent claim was spring of 2012
    Banned

Thread AuthorThread Author   #21  

Wow...lol every excuss for microsoft and yet they cry about every little thing RIM does and yet they pose as blackberry fans. I guess when you only have a handfull of fans you need to hang out on crackberry. Maybe WP8 might one day have more then 20 fans where you can start your own fan site. LOL...no notification Centre because they ran out of time...What a joke.
    Dapper37 likes this.
  22. cgk
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    7,830 Global Posts

At this stage, we know that you have never seen a single WP7 user - because you cut and paste that statement into every thread.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    498 Global Posts

they should have delayed

PIN
    27F48177

Microsoft should know that only Apple can get away with launching products with missing features.
    christenmartin likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Is every thread that has to do with Windows Phone 8 going to be titled some variance of "should we be scared"? What the heck would we feel scared about a phone for?
    Blatant placeholder signature.