View Poll Results: Should RIM wait it out, or answer back?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lay low, wait it out.

6 13.64%
  • Respond and defend.

38 86.36%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes
    Retired Forums Moderator

Global Posts
    7,336 Global Posts
    PIN
    yep.
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Should RIM "lay low" until BB10 release?

I recently had a brief conversation on Twitter regarding recent RIM press releases and interviews defending the company. One school of thought is that RIM should lay low, stop responding to negative claims, and wait until they have more than words. I, on the other hand, feel they need to respond. RIM is releasing a ground-breaking mobile hardware/OS system, and marketing is huge. Replying to, and rebutting the claims IS marketing. What do the members here think? Should RIM employees say nothing, lay low, OR defend. Let me know.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    12,530 Global Posts

Good question. I'm not sure about either choice. Laying low is why there in this predicament now, but being aggressive without an up to date product makes no sense either. I guess respond when necessary and hope for the best until BB10 makes an impact
    CrackBerry Genius

Respond and defend.

This is the war of 1812 all over again.

Time to burn their major tech corporations to the ground.
    I still believe in BlackBerry.
    Keep Strong and Stay Long.
    -paradigmslip.ca-
    bungaboy likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by morlock_man View Post
    Respond and defend.

This is the war of 1812 all over again.

Time to burn their major tech corporations to the ground.
    Interesting analogy to use for a Canadian company

But I agree with your sentiment of respond and defend

It's gone too far with the RIM bashing, time to take back the message

Si.
    bungaboy likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Ignore the negativity and get on with marketing BB10 for those not in the know.
    bungaboy likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    133 Global Posts

They need a steady drip of information coming out. Something like the Super Smash Brothers Brawl Dojo comes to mind, where Nintendo was letting little things drop every week or so. A new character here, another stage there, etc.

Obviously that's a little harder to do with smartphone features, and they still want to do one big unveiling, but they need a big marketing push and a way to keep it in the tech press/blogs and the consumers' minds.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts

They really should deal with the misstatements of the press & tech blogs. They have responded well to questions regarding their product & evangelizing their new platform to devs, but they need to face the high level of negativity that is thrown their way due to biased reporting.

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk on my iPhone 4S
    bungaboy likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,751 Global Posts

I would say the should Respond and Defend.
    I think it show's strength, and how much they believe in BB10.
    Also, it bring's more articles to read on CrackBerry so that is good aswell!
    Have I really been here for three years?
    Retired Mod

PIN
    PIN:ky Tuscadero

Responding I have no problem with. I have stated several times that I don't think
    anything is served by RIM going "media dark." How that response and defense
    is carried out matters greatly.

A lot of what is out there now is either piling on, agenda driven or just plain nonsense
    and RIM seriously needs to make the effort to pushback and get the the facts out.

The one thing I still wish though is that RIM would appoint ONE spokesperson.
    There is no need to trot out Mr Heins, Mr Saunders, Ms Stymiest, Mr Boulben, etc...
    for press availability, media events and such.

Send out one voice conveying one strong, company approved unified message and
    the press will have less to parse, dissect and spin.

Global Posts
    10,250 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Ben1232 View Post
    Ignore the negativity and get on with marketing BB10 for those not in the know.
    Yeah. IMO, it's a "Catch-22" situation and could go either way. But, RIM has to try and remain relevant until the devices and Platform are ready. Laying low and also not "selectively" responding could do more harm than good. Selectively meaning RIM doesn't have to respond to every negative piece that is published. Now that there is a new person onboard to handle PR, the new CEO, Thorsten needs to get in the background and let the man do what he does best to make it happen for RIM.
    Yes, Anger Management does work. 5th time is the charm.
    CrackBerry Addict

One's reputation must be defended vigorously and without hesitation!
    Purchase these awesome apps for Z10 (BB10-device): Utilities: Mobile Network | Developer ModeBluetooth | Mobile Hotspot | NFC | Learn Essential Japanese Verbs | Ultimate Powerball
    FREE BlackBoard Lite (Free!) Coming SOON!: Mega Millions 10
    bungaboy likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Laying low does not work unless your setting up for a grand finale (launch). In Rim's case there is no option to lay low because it only works when no one knows. (off the radar)

Defend, fight, clarify professionally. No immature baby stuff.
    Wino Ryder and bungaboy like this.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Please feel free to ask :)

I want to see them defend themselves, but at the same time u almost have to ask who is believing this company when they done nothing but give excuses and miss deadlines for the last few years?

Defend yourself...fine, but stop hyping up BB10. Most people are past talk when it comes to that. Just show and prove when the time comes
    QNX and LTE, hand me a pen and let's do this.
    **Taken from The Engine**

Yes I am black...and yes I LOVE grape Kool Aid. I can't blame u for judging me

- Durrell
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    563 Global Posts

They should do the wake up campaigns again
    CrackBerry Genius

I have no problem with waiting on BB10, but the Playbook 2.1 has its own core features that aren't available on other platforms. Wifi bridge and the ability to emulate both Apple (as a hack) and Android applications are two of the bigger ones.

They should lead with PB2.1 like a jab, then follow up with BB10 like a haymaker. They don't want to wake up their competition. Now they want to knock them out completely.

Be as disruptive to the smartphone marketplace as digital cameras were to film.

In truth, this kind of transition only happens once. RIM's corporate line is that BB10 should transition their platform to an OS that should last a decade. But due to the modular nature of the code and the miniscule size of the kernel, it's easier to maintain and update than the older monolithic systems. There's no need to ever wipe the slate clean and start from scratch again.

This OS could carry them indefinitely.
    -paradigmslip.ca-
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    yeah right

Quote Originally Posted by cajualaddict View Post
    Defend, fight, clarify professionally. No immature baby stuff.

Thats the ticket right there, defend professionally and calmly, and make the RIM hating bloggers look like complete idiots. By turning the other cheek RIM is fueling this rampant tirade into a RIM hating media frenzy. I say turn it off now. With $100 million bucks behind BB 10 development, and the BB jams all over the world, I think its a cinch to say the company knows where its going. Any one can figure that one out, even the anti RIM bloggers and tech analysts.

Big corporations dont act like this when they're really in trouble, they sell and bail out like rats on a sinking ship. RIM is apparently far from it
    morlock_man likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    2982920C

I commented to my wife that, after AGM where RIM essentially ripped the band-aid off. I thought that "laying low" was perhaps the plan.

Reams and reams of bad press have hounded RIM. So, just rip the band-aid off, air it all out. Then, hit'em with BB10 and start anew.

I also added that I thought that perhaps the delay story was/is a very bold (No pun intended) marketing plan. Don't try and shove your brand new product out, when others are doing the same. Sit on it. Wait for the smoke to clear. And after the POS iPhone release gets lost in the Christmas and New Years hub-bub. Then send your product out to the masses when you have everyone's attention.

My 2 cents.

Sent from my Magical BlackBerry Bold 9900
    CrackBerry Abuser

I dont think RIM can afford to lay low. They have to show investors,end users,App deseigners that they are still ut there in the market place. Otherwise there wont be any customers, investors left when The BB10 is ready for launch.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Master

RIM should be out there doing something to bring attention to the BlackBerry brand and BB10, but I think they should smarten up a little. Be proactive and when deciding to delay the launch come out and tell the developers first. Announcing the delay like they did was just a big letdown...like hearing bad news from somebody you don't even know.
    Retired Mod

PIN
    PIN:ky Tuscadero

Quote Originally Posted by RicZoh View Post
    And after the iPhone release gets lost in the Christmas and New Years hub-bub. Then send your product out to the masses when you have everyone's attention.0
    The only problem I see with this is you will have their attention while the other
    devices have their money.

Guess which one does NOT pay the bills
    Blacklatino and Yaceka like this.
    CrackBerry User

Honestly RIM should just wait it out. Unless they actually have something to show that will change the naysayers opinions, they have nothing. Going all "hey you're wrong about Blackberry" is going to make everyone say "why?" or "how?". Without something that'll tell everyone "that's why there's nothing wrong at RIM" they'd just come off looking fake and delusional.

Global Posts
    10,250 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Yaceka View Post
    Honestly RIM should just wait it out. Unless they actually have something to show that will change the naysayers opinions, they have nothing. Going all "hey you're wrong about Blackberry" is going to make everyone say "why?" or "how?". Without something that'll tell everyone "that's why there's nothing wrong at RIM" they'd just come off looking fake and delusional.
    LOL. RIM doesn't have a choice. Two words.....DAMAGE CONTROL. This is what needs to happen- tactfully, skillfully, and with precision aimed at everyone that can buy a smartphone from business to those that want fun-in-the-sun. From now until the launch date, RIM should be trying to start and maintain a buzz about BB10 devices/platforms and have it contunually build up until the release of the devices. All the Youtube videos and leaked information on CB is great for those of us on CB. But the masses not on this site don't have a clue about BB10 or RIM- except what they're hearing/reading in the press which amounts to RIM is going down the crapper, stocks have tanked, and soon, no one will want to buy a new one and should not buy an older OS 7 BlackBerry. Again, think in terms of those not on this site.

Again, DAMAGE CONTROL. I don't see the majority of 70+ million BlackBerry owners lining up to buy a BB10 if RIM announced that the devices would be released tomorrow instead of January/1st Quarter(-ish). Yeah, it will sell, but not the numbers needed to take RIM out of the hole it's in and keep it moving forward. Assuming that everything will bounce back and reclaiming the same status held 3-4 years ago without regaining lost trust- now, as if everything is normal, IMHO, will have RIM coming off looking fake and delusional.
    Last edited by Blacklatino; 07-15-2012 at 06:27 PM.
    Yes, Anger Management does work. 5th time is the charm.
    CrackBerry Addict

I don't see what good it does to stay quiet. I agree with AG. This company really could use some kind of press secretary / spokesperson.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by FigureThisOut View Post
    I don't see what good it does to stay quiet. I agree with AG. This company really could use some kind of press secretary / spokesperson.
    I do the job pro bono.

But they'd have to drag me away from the press conferences once I started ranting and frothing at the mouth.
    -paradigmslip.ca-

Global Posts
    9,326 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey, what did you expect ?

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    I recently had a brief conversation on Twitter regarding recent RIM press releases and interviews defending the company. One school of thought is that RIM should lay low, stop responding to negative claims, and wait until they have more than words. I, on the other hand, feel they need to respond. RIM is releasing a ground-breaking mobile hardware/OS system, and marketing is huge. Replying to, and rebutting the claims IS marketing. What do the members here think? Should RIM employees say nothing, lay low, OR defend. Let me know.
    I previously was a "stay in the shadow" defender.
    But I believe now, RIM must escalate the "bust campaign" as there's too many "lies" around.
    It's time to prepare the stage and make people look at RIM on another point of view than "is RIM dieing ?" recurrent bashing.

Kinda "Time to put their red shoes and dance the blues"
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyVjdQXNs9s[/YT]

Join my BBM Channel : C00035FA6
    "I speak English like a Spanish Cow"
    I'm a StockBerrian, proudly holding 50 150 250 400 550 1000 BlackBerry shares
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast