Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree127Likes
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,267 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B630F1E

Quote Originally Posted by sf49ers View Post
    it has a slight chance as far it is priced below $330 (ipad mini cost) and anything above it will be doomed.
    Is the $330 mini ipad a wifi only model?
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    2bb37f14

The Samsung Galaxy 8.0 looks like it used up all of the plastic supply on our planet, and also took the rim of the Bold 9900 and stretched it out to fit around it.

Aside from the chrome-looking ring around it, it just looks cheap, which should come as no surprise to anyone with two eyes (or even one eye with a cataract in it) that has seen the Samsung Galaxy Note, Galaxy Note II, or Galaxy S II or III. Or IV.

Samsung blows people away with a few features and a pretty screen, and hopes that they forget about the cheap-feeling, glossy plastic material encasing it all. And so far, it has somehow worked.
    Sean

Twitter: @SeanKelleher
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,269 Global Posts
    PIN
    330c56f6

Quote Originally Posted by SK122387 View Post
    The Samsung Galaxy 8.0 looks like it used up all of the plastic supply on our planet, and also took the rim of the Bold 9900 and stretched it out to fit around it.

Aside from the chrome-looking ring around it, it just looks cheap, which should come as no surprise to anyone with two eyes (or even one eye with a cataract in it) that has seen the Samsung Galaxy Note, Galaxy Note II, or Galaxy S II or III. Or IV.

Samsung blows people away with a few features and a pretty screen, and hopes that they forget about the cheap-feeling, glossy plastic material encasing it all. And so far, it has somehow worked.
    Yeah seriously. The phone is one of the lightest out there. Feels bad. Not cool but like you said, pretty screen and people forget
    CrackBerry Genius

Wtf is this Copysome forums ****s is getting out of hand in here.How is that the tablet bar we have phones that go in our pockets a make call and do wha tablets do but smaller and much more mobile.No tablet has ever set the bar there not as good as laptops.I dont think even the MS surface pro can handle music production software better than a solid spec laptop.

Have you never heard of bluetooth earphones and voip?? And those things most of us put in pockets called phones.And what you think blackberry bridge was built for.Tablet bar my *** tablets are just a niche for people who do not need full horse power of laptops and do generic internet cafe usage.In my case the playbook is a bedside toy for female guest so they have something to do.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    207 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NFLPLAYBOOK View Post
    Paired with a headset and a Pebble watch this is very dreamy device. I carry my PlayBook around with me everywhere I go. This would be no different. A lot of other people carry their tablets with them all the time as well. This has become a norm.
    Here, here! I doubt that my Playbook has been more than three feet away from me in weeks. I wrack my brains daily trying to understand why can't be used as a speakerphone. It knows when a call is coming in and allows me to silence my Torch's ringer. It has apps that allow me to change some of the settings on my Torch.

I have a bluetooth headset that can both answer and make calls through my Torch. Why the **** can't my Playbook do the same?

As for giving it the ability to actually function as a phone on its own? I'm not so sure. Why would I ever by another phone again? Ever?
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,334 Global Posts

The ability to make a call from anything Android has been available since GrooveIP which works pretty well as long as you have wifi around and if you have a bluetooth device who really cares what it's connected to. This is just Samsung building a tablet and throwing the kitchen sink at it. When you buy one of these things it hard to think of something you would want to do with a tablet that you cannot do, that's the selling point of it, the GN2 and the 10.1. If it's priced right its another step forward for them IMHO they pretty much invented and own this segment. Not bad for a company folks say "doesn't innovate"
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,063 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #32  

Quote Originally Posted by kevinnugent View Post
    Is the $330 mini ipad a wifi only model?
    Yes that's the WiFi price. It's another $120 for the LTE chip.
    BB10 Powered by QNX RTOS.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,063 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #33  

Quote Originally Posted by randall2580 View Post
    The ability to make a call from anything Android has been available since GrooveIP which works pretty well as long as you have wifi around and if you have a bluetooth device who really cares what it's connected to. This is just Samsung building a tablet and throwing the kitchen sink at it. When you buy one of these things it hard to think of something you would want to do with a tablet that you cannot do, that's the selling point of it, the GN2 and the 10.1. If it's priced right its another step forward for them IMHO they pretty much invented and own this segment. Not bad for a company folks say "doesn't innovate"
    I agree. Sammy put almost every imaginable feature in this tablet. The only thing they missed was the removable battery. Price is king and that will dictate how well it sells. That and the carriers if they kill the cell function in North America again. The GT7 has sold well in Europe for years now.
    CrackBerry Genius

Copysome and ''innovative'' the same sentence hah.The Dell streak came out a whole year before a note showed up.The stylus is not innovative stylus have been around since 90's and these phablets are mere pda's with current gen tech.Now I'll give credit to them taking this market space which im certain huge percentage are probably old school pda owners.But innovtive no.What copysome have done is jumped at the oppertunity to offer another version of ios apple at lower price as the the fruit products are expensive.Has there been a month that samsung havent released some device?? These guys are short term hustlers they are quickly trying to cash up get the money whilst they can.Short term hustle are just that short term.
    Between Realities

Global Posts
    12,395 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RECOOL View Post
    Copysome and ''innovative'' the same sentence hah.The Dell streak came out a whole year before a note showed up.The stylus is not innovative stylus have been around since 90's and these phablets are mere pda's with current gen tech.Now I'll give credit to them taking this market space which im certain huge percentage are probably old school pda owners.But innovtive no.What copysome have done is jumped at the oppertunity to offer another version of ios apple at lower price as the the fruit products are expensive.Has there been a month that samsung havent released some device?? These guys are short term hustlers they are quickly trying to cash up get the money whilst they can.Short term hustle are just that short term.
    I don't disagree with the hustler part, but companies do have to adjust to short consumer attention spans. To use a category that you mentioned, I remember when folks bought PDAs and used them for years... and this was before cellular PDAs started locking folks into contracts.
    CrackBerry User

This is the exact reason why I am confused by anyone who thinks Samsung is a competitor to Apple, Microsoft and RIM. Great Hardware company. Ultimately they will be great for consumer pricing. But is this innovation? Not even close.

People stopped caring about PC Specs years ago. I'm sure Smartphones, Phablets, and Tablets will be similar to PCs in that regard in the near future.

Samsung is a hot company right now, and they might be for quite a while. Just like Sony before them, or RCA before them. Hardware, scale and supply chain isn't a sustainable advantage. I'm sure 10 years from now they will be going through struggles while we will all be introduced to another hardware company in a cheaper manufacturing district such as Huwaii, Lenovo or ZTE.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,334 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RECOOL View Post
    LOL the Dell Streak was a POS from day one, and after it flopped folks said "no one wants a phablet". No. What folks didn't want was a POS. Samsung's original Galaxy Note proved the pundits wrong - folks did want it and the now the GNote 2 is considered by many the state of the art at the moment (till the new Snapdragon phones drop). The phablets "no one wanted" have sold more than a combined 10 million at last count I believe?

That the Notes and the Streaks kinda look the same is meaningless. Innovation is getting the whole package right. To the tune of 8 billion a quarter. Nice hustle.
    Thanked by 2:
    BoldtotheMax (02-25-2013) 
    Between Realities

Global Posts
    12,395 Global Posts

LOL the Dell Streak was a POS from day one, and after it flopped folks said "no one wants a phablet". No. What folks didn't want was a POS. Samsung's original Galaxy Note proved the pundits wrong - folks did want it and the now the GNote 2 is considered by many the state of the art at the moment (till the new Snapdragon phones drop). The phablets "no one wanted" have sold more than a combined 10 million at last count I believe?

That the Notes and the Streaks kinda look the same is meaningless. Innovation is getting the whole package right. To the tune of 8 billion a quarter. Nice hustle.
    Good point.

i think some get real caught up on their own personal definitions of "innovation." Packaging is a major part of it.
    Mod Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    10,167 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often

This device will sell, as it bears the name of very popular products, and a percentage of people will look at it because of the name. The PlayBook isnt really competition to anything on the market currently. You are looking almost 2 year old hardware and software against brand new devices. When RIM/BB launch their next tablet, things will be different, but until then, no sense bringing the PlayBook into this discussion.
    ~S_A
    All views and opinions here are my own, and do not represent any views, opinions, or official communications either actual or implied of my employer.
    CrackBerry User

I think this is the even a bigger threat to the PlayBook than the Mini is.
    there are threats to the Playbook?
    agp101 likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

How many different sized devices do they sell?

Quote Originally Posted by snowman888 View Post
    How many different sized devices do they sell?
    if there is a size they have a device for it basically
    ~Matt
    Nexus 5, Z10 LE, White Lumia 521, 32GB Nook HD+ & 16GB PB, 32 GB Dell Venue 8 Pro
    @howarmat
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    847 Global Posts

I think some of you are very short sighted.. Sure the tablet is way to large for most people to consider using it as a phone.. But there is a huge shift towards mobile productivity which also means a move away from the concept of a user having a smartphone, tablet and laptop on the go. If you can replace all three devices with one, then you will be leading the pack in the mobile and non mobile world (or whatever you term the combined world).

If society shifts to having bluetooth headsets and don't ridicule the ones that adopt them, then the size of the phone is a non issue as long as it works as a phone as well as the devices it is replacing.

Sure its far too big for me to switch to now.. But that doesn't mean it will be too big down the road if it catches on.
    --- Sent From Mobile Device While on the Can! ---
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,063 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #44  

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice View Post
    This device will sell, as it bears the name of very popular products, and a percentage of people will look at it because of the name. The PlayBook isnt really competition to anything on the market currently. You are looking almost 2 year old hardware and software against brand new devices. When RIM/BB launch their next tablet, things will be different, but until then, no sense bringing the PlayBook into this discussion.
    The PlayBook even with its 2 year old hardware has been comparable to most other similar tablets. That is going to change now. The point of bringing it up is that BB hasn't announced anything new on the tablet front and it's now time that they do. If they want to remain relevant in the tablet game. Does BB have anything coming that will keep them in this fast changing tablet game? If they do now would be the time to show it.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,063 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #45  

Quote Originally Posted by adrenaline_x View Post
    I think some of you are very short sighted.. Sure the tablet is way to large for most people to consider using it as a phone.. But there is a huge shift towards mobile productivity which also means a move away from the concept of a user having a smartphone, tablet and laptop on the go. If you can replace all three devices with one, then you will be leading the pack in the mobile and non mobile world (or whatever you term the combined world).

If society shifts to having bluetooth headsets and don't ridicule the ones that adopt them, then the size of the phone is a non issue as long as it works as a phone as well as the devices it is replacing.

Sure its far too big for me to switch to now.. But that doesn't mean it will be too big down the road if it catches on.
    I don't know where the ridicule is coming from. In my line of work every person now has a headset. Most are bluetooth in fact. In the transportation business handsfree is a must. It's a huge market. In fact you would be frowned upon if you didn't use one.
    Retired CrackBerry Ambassador

Global Posts
    18,190 Global Posts
    PIN
    nahhhhh.....

oooohhhh dang......

another one.....

SGIV or Note 3 or Note 8......dangnabbit dangnabbit dangnabbit.....

I love the "it's too big" comments. One inch difference between the PB and this and ooooooh looooordy it's just tooooooooo big!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This from the same crowd who said 4 inches was too big who are now extolling the virtues of the Z10.....God created BT for modern phones. Go figure.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and good with ketchup
    "When debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser" - Socrates
    iMore Ambassador
    Thanked by:
    BoldtotheMax (02-25-2013) 
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    66,749 Global Posts

That's it. Throw in the towel. It's all over.
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    the 50K CrackBerry challenge
    Posted from my phone or pc or tablet that are no better than anyone else's
    Toodeurep likes this.
    Mod Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    10,167 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often

The PlayBook even with its 2 year old hardware has been comparable to most other similar tablets. That is going to change now. The point of bringing it up is that BB hasn't announced anything new on the tablet front and it's now time that they do. If they want to remain relevant in the tablet game. Does BB have anything coming that will keep them in this fast changing tablet game? If they do now would be the time to show it.
    RIM/BB will most certainly be staying in the Tablet game, but they need to NOT show anything before it is ready.
    ~S_A
    All views and opinions here are my own, and do not represent any views, opinions, or official communications either actual or implied of my employer.
    Mod Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    10,167 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often

Quote Originally Posted by qbnkelt View Post
    oooohhhh dang......

another one.....

SGIV or Note 3 or Note 8......dangnabbit dangnabbit dangnabbit.....

I love the "it's too big" comments. One inch difference between the PB and this and ooooooh looooordy it's just tooooooooo big!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This from the same crowd who said 4 inches was too big who are now extolling the virtues of the Z10.....God created BT for modern phones. Go figure.
    you are all about the size comments are you? lol

You are correct though, 1" in screen size (keep in mind its diagonal so a larger device over all) will not prohibit people from using it. Its going to come down to battery life and how the device performs.
    ~S_A
    Thanked by:
    qbnkelt (02-25-2013) 
    qbnkelt and agp101 like this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    390 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by toujours_frais View Post
    Lol to be honest this is just a dumb move by Samsung... The device looks ugly and who would want to make a phone call using that thing???
    I think you missed the point. It's a great tablet, with the option of a phone incorporated. No one says you absolutely must use an 8-inch tablet as your main phone. I am quite sure most tire kickers will figure out they will also need to have a phone, but now can also have a tablet with a phone if they want.
    Acer Asprie S755-6832, Playbook, Samsung SII HD LTE, HTC One v
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast