Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By lnichols
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Samsung looking for new software

-- Samsung Electronics' new CEO reiterates need to strengthen software division

-- CEO tells staff Samsung needs to strengthen dominance to secure "an absolute lead"

(Adds more background on Samsung's software push throughout, legal spats in the 10th-12th paragraphs.)

By Jung-Ah Lee

SEOUL--Samsung Electronics Co.'s (005930.SE) new chief executive on Monday reiterated the need for the company to beef up its software competence in order to maintain its leading position in the technology industry.

Over the past year, Samsung has emphasized the need to focus on strengthening its proprietary software to help drive smartphone sales, and estimates by analysts show Samsung surpassed Apple Inc. (AAPL) in the first quarter to become the world's biggest seller of smartphones.

"A particular focus must be given to serving new customer experience and value by strengthening soft capabilities in software, user experience, design, and solutions," Kwon Oh-hyun said in his inaugural speech.

The new CEO didn't disclose how much Samsung aims to spend on strengthening its software division, but his message to boost its relatively weak software arm is in line with the former CEO's stance.

The need to boost proprietary software took on new urgency after Google Inc. (GOOG), maker of the Android operating system, announced its plan to acquire Motorola Mobility Holdings Inc. (MMI).

Although Samsung has been allocating a sizable portion of its resources to its mobile software platform division, the majority of its smartphones continue to run on Android software because its Bada mobile software platform hasn't been popular among global consumers.

As part of its efforts to bolster its mobile software platform, the world's largest maker of flat TVs, memory chips, flat screens and smartphones bought U.S.-based mobile content service provider mSpot Inc. in early May.

Mr. Kwon, who has led Samsung's chip business since 2008 and its display components business since last year, took the helm of the world's largest technology firm by revenue earlier this month.

He told a meeting of Samsung staff Monday that the company's core businesses must strengthen their dominance in technology and global markets to secure "an absolute lead."

Samsung is in a series of legal tussles with the world's most valuable company, Apple, which is both its customer and competitor.

Apple is the largest buyer of Samsung's chips and displays, but the technology giants have been entangled in a global legal spat since April last year, when Apple filed lawsuits against the Korean company for allegedly copying designs of its iPhone and iPad products.

Samsung counter sued the U.S. company for using their wireless technologies without paying royalties. So far, the companies have around 30 patent litigation cases against each other in around 10 countries.

Write to Jung-Ah Lee at jung-ah.lee@dowjones.com
    UPDATE: Samsung Electronics New CEO: Need to Improve Software - WSJ.com

Could this be more fuel for RIM licensing BB10 to Samsung?
    CrackBerry Abuser

It is possible... I remembered a while back about the rumor that Samsung will invest in RIM new software BB10 in the amount of $1.5 to 2.00 billions. Also the rumor about Microsoft will invest in RIM in the amount of $2.00 billions. Microsoft is going to have a conference call tonight at 6:30 P.M. EST.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    7,218 Global Posts

Samsung has a huge sales lead using an OS that they don't control, or own, and that anyone has access to. If Google wanted to they could stop working on Androids Open Source side, and create a private fork that they control and only they/Motorola have access to. I'm not saying this would happen, but it is a possibility. Also HTC could come out with a great UI/skin and run all the same apps and change the tide quickly (they apparently have a superior display as it is). If I were running a company I would want to have more of my future under my control. People aren't buying Samsung Android phones, they are buying the Samsung Galaxy phones that run Android. IMHO if Samsung would release a BB10 phone and call it a Galaxy whatever it would sell great. If they just bought RIM and made BB10 the new OS and leveraged and dumped in the money to improve the BB10 app ecosystem then they would have something that they control and it wouldn't hurt sales at all IMHO. Also developers would be begging to develop for it. I doubt they will buy RIM or license BB10, but I don't think they would be crazy to do so just to hedge bets against Google/Motorola, and gain more corporate use credibility and patents.
    morganplus8 likes this.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Samsung currently is already contributing to a new OS called Tizen.
    Tizen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's also based on Linux and open source just like Android and looks rather promising.

It could become a big threat to BB10 because of it has some very similar features:
    - designed for use in tablets, netbooks, smartphones, smart TV, and in-vehicle infotainment systems

- will be able to run Android Apps (ACL for Tizen | OpenMobile)

- HTML5 performance in its early state only second to BB10

But for now I didnt't hear anything about multitasking on Tizen and love the abilities my Playbook has in this sector and overall performance and I'm sure RIM is capable to fight any threat to its new system back when it arrives.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    5,318 Global Posts

I think it means more that samsung is sooner or later going to focus on something of their own. I mean they can take and fork android, they have computers, tablets, phones, tv's the whole shibang that they could take in their own direction if they wanted. Not sure samsung wants to break off and form their own OS though.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Lets just see where this goes. If they do deceide to ride with QNX boy oh boy, when i say trouble i mean trouble QNX on a high powered samsung SoC with the display combined etc. Lets just wait samsung needs the patents from RIM i know that for sure.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by Realmaker View Post
    Samsung currently is already contributing to a new OS called Tizen.
    Tizen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's also based on Linux and open source just like Android and looks rather promising.

It could become a big threat to BB10 because of it has some very similar features:
    - designed for use in tablets, netbooks, smartphones, smart TV, and in-vehicle infotainment systems

- will be able to run Android Apps (ACL for Tizen | OpenMobile)

- HTML5 performance in its early state only second to BB10

But for now I didnt't hear anything about multitasking on Tizen and love the abilities my Playbook has in this sector and overall performance and I'm sure RIM is capable to fight any threat to its new system back when it arrives.
    Tizen is a complete joke, Yes samsung is wasting money on it who says devs will jump on it even if it is android app compatiable.

Global Posts
    6,101 Global Posts
    PIN
    32FE97BA

I would like to hear Samsung is licensing BB10. However Samsung is free to fork Android like anyone else. Look what Amazon has done with the Kindle. They don't even mention it is Android in any marketing.

I read the news as meaning Samsung intends to create a more proprietary version of Android.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
  9. cgk
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    7,828 Global Posts

Right - if they are going to want software they control, they are simply going to fork android.

Global Posts
    6,101 Global Posts
    PIN
    32FE97BA

Quote Originally Posted by cgk View Post
    Right - if they are going to want software they control, they are simply going to fork android.
    In fact it could be bad news for RIM. I saw an article indicating there will be a secure/hardened Galaxy S3 released. This goes right after RIM's core customer base.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    702 Global Posts

or the secure SGS3 could be BB10 powered. We'll see.
  12. cgk
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    7,828 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FunktasticLucky View Post
    or the secure SGS3 could be BB10 powered. We'll see.
    It is already available