Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    817 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Rovi Selling Video Store

Apparently Rovi is looking to sell its video store, which powers the Video Store on the PlayBook, and is supposed to also provide movies in BB10's App World. I'm wondering what ramifications may come of this.

CinemaNow or never: Rovi puts its digital movie store up for sale — Online Video News
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    713 Global Posts

That can't be good for RIM... Unless RIM buys Rovi's video store, but based on the price Rovi paid for it ($720M) I would say its too expensive a purchase for RIM.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    93 Global Posts

Maybe they (Rovi) would be willing to sell at a loss just as RIM was with Newbay.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    93 Global Posts

Maybe 7digital could buy it and then we could still get music and movies from someone they're already partnered with.
    CrackBerry Master

Default Rovi Selling Video Store

Rovi was a horrible pick from the start. Way overpriced and poor selection. I doubt anyone will be picking this up as their content offerings plain sucked.

For the cost of buying a movie on there. I could buy a bluray which comes with a DVD and digital download as well.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,355 Global Posts
    PIN
    @getdjmac

If they were smart, they would take some RIM stock in a stock swap for the movie store!
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    817 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

I've purchased one episode of The Walking Dead partly as a test and also because I was too lazy to go downstairs and watch it On Demand, and from a technical perspective, it works great. Also the free Sherlock Holmes movie was good too. The problem is the prices are such that you only would want to buy/rent if you had no other options. If they were lower, they could see increased usage and that could drive revenue higher. So I hope that whatever company buys the video store will result in lower prices, somehow. Maybe even offer subscription plans.

Also, Rovi is keeping some of the technology from the original acquisition, so they won't need to sell it for what they bought it for.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,838 Global Posts

I never supported their service as it didn't support closed captioning...
    Not that I need it, but I know multiple people who do and its important to me to get my message across.
    Maybe they can partner up with Amazon Video?

EDIT: Also, don't you think that this would be against the contract RIM had with Rovi to use their video service? Rovi knew that RIM was releasing an operating system using their video store, yet they put it up for sale. If it voids RIM's contract with Rovi, RIM should definitely take legal actions.
    Check out my app: CChecker

Global Posts
    5,796 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6927F7

Bear in mind that Rovi has a video store on Google Play as well, so it isn't just BlackBerry who's in the lurch here.

Rovi is... passable. I would suspect that they'll either succeed in this sale and the buyer will continue to honor existing contracts, or RIM will find another supplier. Easy enough.
    Thanked by:
    r0v3rT3N (01-04-2013) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Anyone that purchases it will have to honor any agreement that is in place at the time of the purchase.
    So this isn't really an immediate problem for RIM and they can always revisit at a later date.
    Thanked by:
    r0v3rT3N (01-04-2013) 
    CrackBerry Master

ignore....
    CrackBerry Master

Rovi is a white label store..Blackberry is the not only one who use their services..Google, bestbuy(cinemanow),toysrus, VuDu, blockbuster movies etc and so many others use their services
    CrackBerry Addict

This is where I got my weekly fix of The Walking Dead. The store is lacking, but it has some interesting stuff. I'd say not as bad as Netflix Canada. ;-)
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,303 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbuck View Post
    Bear in mind that Rovi has a video store on Google Play as well, so it isn't just BlackBerry who's in the lurch here.

Rovi is... passable. I would suspect that they'll either succeed in this sale and the buyer will continue to honor existing contracts, or RIM will find another supplier. Easy enough.
    I am curious about this. My understanding was that Google makes its own deals with the major studios for distribution in their Play Store. Does Rovi provide the digital distribution?
    CrackBerry Master

Quote Originally Posted by randall2580 View Post
    I am curious about this. My understanding was that Google makes its own deals with the major studios for distribution in their Play Store. Does Rovi provide the digital distribution?
    not only Google but amazon and Netflix also license Rovi...all the new releases for sale only and titles available for pay per view are powered by Rovi..hence you will see same rates all across

Not to say they don't content distribution with studios..but they operate on different terms and conditions like unlimited viewing/ bulk licensing over a term etc
    CrackBerry Genius

I hope RIM doesn't try to acquire Rovi's CinemaNow service. Licensing deals with studios is expensive - just ask Netflix. RIM can better spend $720 million on getting other services, like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, etc. on board...
    CrackBerry Master

Rovi will just have to find somebody who knows better what to do with it,
    this might be good news if they find a better buyer
    Thanked by:
    Foreverup (01-04-2013) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    316 Global Posts

I am interested to see how this pans out and who takes over the company considering how many different providers use Rovi
    Regards,

Moolah Mitch

Z10 STL100-3/10.1.0.2354
    Playbook 16G 2.1.0.1526
    Playbook 64G 2.1.0.1526