Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 39
Like Tree21Likes
  1. paranee2's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    154 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default RIM unveils PlayBook update, but is it too little, too late? (from Torontostar)

    RIM need to improve public media relation
    here's another one from Torontostart.ca

    RIM unveils PlayBook update, but is it too little, too late?

    RIM unveils PlayBook update, but is it too little, too late? - thestar.com
  2. BENZ_O's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    81 Posts
    #2  

    Default

    The Toronto Star always posts neg stuff on RIM. The people that write these articles are stupid and don't know nothing about RIM. Just like the articles Damin Cox writes about the Leafs. Guy annoys me
  3. Thunderbuck's Avatar

    Posts
    5,283 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,284 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6927F7
    #3  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BENZ_O View Post
    The Toronto Star always posts neg stuff on RIM. The people that write these articles are stupid and don't know nothing about RIM. Just like the articles Damin Cox writes about the Leafs. Guy annoys me
    Okay, but generally speaking, shooting the messenger comes off as being a little whiny.

    The fact RIM is going to have to face as they try to rehabilitate the Playbook is that a great many people will perceive the 2.0 enhancements as stuff that should have been there in the first place. This week, I've found myself wondering if the Playbook could have launched with this OS had they decided to hold off on the launch until, say, August or September.

    I DO think the new messaging system puts the Playbook above the competition. And Blackberry Remote is just incredibly cool. With no new devices, though, RIM could only count on so much attention. Hopefully RIM hits the ground running as they go (back) to market.
  4. TheScionicMan's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    8,744 Posts
    #4  

    Default

    If we were nearing the end of people buying tablets, then their headline might make sense. It's a growing market. The idea that nobody else should make a tablet because iPad has perfected it is ludicrous and lacks insight. Why did anyone else bother to make a smartphone when RIM had the market dominated? Things change, new ideas evolve.

    No company should bother making beer or hamburgers, because Budweiser and McDonald's sell the most, so they obviously make the best ones. I can discern this without even tasting another burger, because the sales numbers prove it...

    Too little too late is a nonsense phrase used to pile on the negativity. Everything new in the iPhone 4S should have been in the iPhone 4. See, anyone can do it. This concept of not evaluating something for how it works NOW because someone wanted it BEFORE is not logical.
    Last edited by TheScionicMan; 01-12-2012 at 01:28 PM.
    They talk about me like a dog, talkin' about the clothes I wear
    But they don't realize they're the ones who's square.
  5. i7guy's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,697 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,955 Global Posts
    #5  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbuck View Post
    Okay, but generally speaking, shooting the messenger comes off as being a little whiny.
    ...snip...
    These aren't messengers, they are faux-messengers. Repeating a talking point is not being a messenger.
    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

    A fanatic is one who won't change his mind...or the subject.
  6. i7guy's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,697 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,955 Global Posts
    #6  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheScionicMan View Post
    If we were nearing the end of people buying tablets, then their headline might make sense. It's a growing market. The idea that nobody else should make a tablet because iPad has perfected it is ludicrous and not insightful. Why did anyone else bother to make a smartphone when RIM had the market dominated? Things change, new ideas evolve.

    No company should bother making beer or hamburgers, because Budweiser and McDonald's sell the most, so they obviously make the best ones. I can discern this without even tasting another burger, because the sales numbers prove it...

    Too little too late is a nonsense phrase used to pile on the negativity. Everything new in the iPhone 4S should have been in the iPhone 4. See, anyone can do it. This concept of not evaluating something for how it works NOW because someone wanted it BEFORE is not logical.
    You and I think alike, it's scary. So now if you can up my post count, I'd appreciate it....
    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

    A fanatic is one who won't change his mind...or the subject.
  7. skwarek's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    85 Posts
    #7  

    Default

    Only ignorent people read Toronto Star so no need to worry. Why do i have a feeling this will be Rob Ford's fault.
  8. #8  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheScionicMan View Post
    If we were nearing the end of people buying tablets, then their headline might make sense. It's a growing market. The idea that nobody else should make a tablet because iPad has perfected it is ludicrous and not insightful. Why did anyone else bother to make a smartphone when RIM had the market dominated? Things change, new ideas evolve.
    As straw man set-ups ago, this is pretty poor. The article didn't suggest that "nobody else should make a tablet." In fact, the article highlighted Amazon's success. The issue was whether new software might make the PlayBook a winner. Do you have an argument for their points on that issue?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheScionicMan View Post
    Too little too late is a nonsense phrase used to pile on the negativity. Everything new in the iPhone 4S should have been in the iPhone 4. See, anyone can do it.
    This would be a much more compelling argument if the 4S was performing as poorly as the PlayBook. As for "too little, too late," you're right, it can be a phrase use purely to pile on negativity. But it can also be true. Do you have any evidence to support your belief that the use of the phrase here falls under the former, not the latter? I would point to the $485 million charge as evidence that RIM simply can't afford to remain in the tablet business, but I'm sure you can explain away the charge.
    tack likes this.
  9. jd914's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    3,272 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,266 Global Posts
    #9  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skwarek View Post
    Only ignorent people read Toronto Star so no need to worry. Why do i have a feeling this will be Rob Ford's fault.
    So any publication or blog that reports bad news about RIM are for ignorant readers? Gotcha.
    tack likes this.
  10. JasW's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    5,264 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,932 Global Posts
    #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paranee2 View Post
    RIM need to improve public media relation
    here's another one from Torontostart.ca

    RIM unveils PlayBook update, but is it too little, too late?

    RIM unveils PlayBook update, but is it too little, too late? - thestar.com
    Quote Originally Posted by BENZ_O View Post
    The Toronto Star always posts neg stuff on RIM. The people that write these articles are stupid and don't know nothing about RIM. Just like the articles Damin Cox writes about the Leafs. Guy annoys me
    This is only nominally from the Toronto Star -- it's actually a Bloomberg wire piece that came out yesterday. Look at the byline.

    And it was originally commented on ad nauseam here yesterday:

    Article: RIM Seen Too Late With E-Mail Playbook Dominated by iPad
    BB 950, BB 6280, BB 7290, BB 8800, BB 9000, BB 9800, BB 9810, Galaxy Note II
    PlayBook 64GB Google Nexus 10
    Galaxy Gear

    BlackBerry user since 2001 . . . until 2013
  11. skwarek's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    85 Posts
    #11  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JD914 View Post
    So any publication or blog that reports bad news about RIM are for ignorant readers? Gotcha.
    Exactly my point. I never mention RIM in my post, but you automatically assumed I did.
  12. kbz1960's Avatar
    Doesn't Matter

    Posts
    55,638 Posts
    Global Posts
    55,793 Global Posts
    #12  

    Default

    Yes it is too little too late for those that have all ready wrote it off.

    No it is not too little too late for the millions that do not own a tablet and might some day.
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    the 50K CrackBerry challenge
    I'm no more qualified to say so because I own a BlackBerry
  13. #13  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbuck View Post
    Okay, but generally speaking, shooting the messenger comes off as being a little whiny.

    The fact RIM is going to have to face as they try to rehabilitate the Playbook is that a great many people will perceive the 2.0 enhancements as stuff that should have been there in the first place. This week, I've found myself wondering if the Playbook could have launched with this OS had they decided to hold off on the launch until, say, August or September.

    I DO think the new messaging system puts the Playbook above the competition.
    And Blackberry Remote is just incredibly cool. With no new devices, though, RIM could only count on so much attention. Hopefully RIM hits the ground running as they go (back) to market.
    And that right there is the bottom line. It doesn't matter what RIM could have or should have done 10 months ago; what matters is where this OS update puts this tablet now and in the near future. If the perception is that the PlayBook is now all that was promopised and it is as good or better than the present competition, its position in the market can only improve. Putting it in the hands of so many more users with this latest fire sale will spread that perception that much faster.
    kbz1960 and recompile like this.
  14. Knightcrawler's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    695 Posts
    Global Posts
    697 Global Posts
    #14  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheScionicMan View Post
    If we were nearing the end of people buying tablets, then their headline might make sense. It's a growing market. The idea that nobody else should make a tablet because iPad has perfected it is ludicrous and lacks insight. Why did anyone else bother to make a smartphone when RIM had the market dominated? Things change, new ideas evolve.

    No company should bother making beer or hamburgers, because Budweiser and McDonald's sell the most, so they obviously make the best ones. I can discern this without even tasting another burger, because the sales numbers prove it...

    Too little too late is a nonsense phrase used to pile on the negativity. Everything new in the iPhone 4S should have been in the iPhone 4. See, anyone can do it. This concept of not evaluating something for how it works NOW because someone wanted it BEFORE is not logical.
    my thoughts exactly. we hear a lot of dismissive phrases like this, but what exactly is too little or too late? the new email features are far better then anything offered by the competition (as well as the calender and contacts features) and unless the world actually ends this coming december, it is by no means too late. will it have the dominance that the ipad is currently enjoying? probably not. but it also wont vanish into obscurity because rims hold on the corporate sector is far too strong. the pb is the only tablet that can be used in the same way as the blackberries have been for the past decade, ie: for corporate organization and productivity......and the fact that rim realizes this and is focusing on catering the pb to that market is a good sign.

    its not "too late" by any stretch of the imagination because that statement implies a definite end point for the tablet market and technological innovation in general. i dont see that happening, do you?
  15. i7guy's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,697 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,955 Global Posts
    #15  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JD914 View Post
    So any publication or blog that reports bad news about RIM are for ignorant readers? Gotcha.
    When Jim and Mike report in quarterly earnings report that sales and profits are down, they are the messengers.

    When the Toronto Star reports that Bloomberg said that Jim and Mike reported that sales and profits are down, they are playing telephone. It looks like reporting, but it's really parroting. This happens all the time under the guise of "news".
    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

    A fanatic is one who won't change his mind...or the subject.
  16. dandbj13's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    808 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,395 Global Posts
    #16  

    Default

    I thought media bias was reserved for the US media. Seriously, did anyone expect that when RIM announced they would soon be releasing an update that would include email, PIM, and three-year old titles, suddenly, the media would declare that the PB was the greatest thing since sliced bread, and ready to topple the iPad from its lofty perch? Really? The way these threads keep popping up, I am beginning to think that was indeed the expectation.
  17. kbz1960's Avatar
    Doesn't Matter

    Posts
    55,638 Posts
    Global Posts
    55,793 Global Posts
    #17  

    Default

    Shakes head..........
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    the 50K CrackBerry challenge
    I'm no more qualified to say so because I own a BlackBerry
  18. TheScionicMan's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    8,744 Posts
    #18  

    Default

    Yawn, the ol' ignore list is blowin' up this week.
    They talk about me like a dog, talkin' about the clothes I wear
    But they don't realize they're the ones who's square.
    sleepngbear likes this.
  19. void11's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    85 Posts
    #19  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skwarek View Post
    Only ignorent people read Toronto Star so no need to worry. Why do i have a feeling this will be Rob Ford's fault.
    Only ignorant people make insulting and ridiculous comments like that.
  20. tack's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,158 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,361 Global Posts
    #20  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheScionicMan View Post
    Yawn, the ol' ignore list is blowin' up this week.
    I actually dislike the ignore list feature. It seems to defeat the purpose of having an open forum, and I like seeing the different viewpoints, even if I don't agree. It has never made me angry enough to hit ignore. I find it interesting and part of a forum like this. To each his own.

    I happen to agree with two points made in this post:

    (1) PB OS 2.0 to the world is an underwhelming release as it is very late and brings mostly features putting the PB on par with some other tablets.

    (2) It is not too little too late and it is important to put the PB on par in key areas so it has a chance to win market share. I would not call it over for the PB or RIM. They can stabilize and winning share in the tablet space with the right marketing, etc.

    I would link the PB's future to the BB phone future. They have to rev things up in the smartphone area to drive the PB success. People will buy in pairs quite a bit in this space.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    VZW iPhone 5 32GB / Blk

    (HTC 8x WP8, BB Z10, iPhone 4S, Droid Incredible 2, BB Storm2, BB 9650 prior.)
    Rickroller and TGR1 like this.
  21. i7guy's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,697 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,955 Global Posts
    #21  

    Default

    I keep looking to see what features you are referring to.

    Playbook: Flash/check, upload/download button/check.
    IOS: Flash/nope, upload/download button/nope.
    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

    A fanatic is one who won't change his mind...or the subject.
  22. dandbj13's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    808 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,395 Global Posts
    #22  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by i7guy View Post
    I keep looking to see what features you are referring to.

    Playbook: Flash/check, upload/download button/check.
    IOS: Flash/nope, upload/download button/nope.
    Those are clearly the features the consuming public care about.
  23. palmless's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    544 Posts
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    #23  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Those are clearly the features the consuming public care about.
    There is a segment of the public that is NOT looking for a tablet (an iPad), they are looking for a tablet PC. So far, the segment looking for a tablet (iPad) has been huge and hugely profitable, while the segment looking for a tablet PC has been small and unprofitable.

    That could change tomorrow, but so far it hasn't.

    If you are selling a tablet PC, it had better have a file system, lots of ports, support for Flash malware content, a column of great specs, etc. If you are selling a tablet, your users want to be protected from Flash, don't want to mess with a file system, etc.

    Manufacturers are free to build tablets and sell a ton profitably, build tablet PCs and sell a few unprofitably, or change the rules if they can.
    Last edited by Palmless; 01-13-2012 at 02:59 PM.
  24. #24  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Those are clearly the features the consuming public care about.
    Yeah, some people do care about those. Can you imagine that. Every product has something that every other product doesn't, which is what makes certain products better for some people but no single product the best for everybody. But because nothing is certain, there will always be some products that work better for more people than others. So what's yer point besides to be contentious and argumentative.
  25. dontheman's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    36 Posts
    PIN
    Call me
    #25  

    Default

    I cannot wait for february.

    If rim dooesnt release it i an going to go ape $$hit
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions