Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By aniym
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default RIM Top R&D Spender in Canada

http://www.therecord.com/news/busine...nder-in-canada

By Rosé Simone

WATERLOO — Despite its struggles to maintain market share, Research In Motion is still the biggest corporate research and development spender in Canada.
    For the third year in a row, the Waterloo-based company was at the top of a ranking of 100 corporate R&D spenders released Tuesday by Research Infosource Inc.
    In fact, the BlackBerry maker boosted the amount it spent on research and development by almost 10.8 per cent in its fiscal year ending in March, to $1.5 billion on revenue of $18.2 billion.
    It topped Bombardier, which ranked second with $1.3 billion in spending, and far outranked BCE Inc., in third spot at $569 million.
    Ron Freedman, chief executive officer of Toronto-based Research Infosource, said RIM’s presence at the top of the list isn’t a big surprise. For one thing, the spending would have happened mostly in 2011, before RIM’s most recent cuts. Also, the company has been investing heavily in the development of its new BlackBerry 10 platform, he said.
    “They do have a lot of cash on hand and they are choosing to invest that in a new generation of products,” he said.
    Freedman said he was surprised that research and development investments by the top 100 corporate R&D spenders in Canada increased 6.1 percent to $10.9 billion last year, reversing a five-year decline. “I thought it was going to be quite flat,” he said.
    Besides RIM, seven other companies in Waterloo Region and Guelph made it into the top 100. They all boosted their spending last year, an indication of “a strong innovation ecosystem,” Freedman said.
    In Waterloo Region, OpenText increased its spending by 8.4 per cent to $144.4 million; Teledyne Dalsa by 2.2 per cent to $42.9 million; Sandvine by 13.9 per cent to $31.2 million; Descartes Systems by 7.8 per cent to $18.8 million; and Com Dev International by 7.7 per cent to $13.3 million.
    In Guelph, Canadian Solar Inc. had one of the biggest year-over-year leaps in research and development spending. It boosted its spending by 178 per cent to $19.6 million. Linamar Corp. increased its R&D spending by 51.5 per cent to $54.7 million.
    Spending on R&D is an important indicator of future competitiveness, Freedman said. “Research and development spending is the tool they use to create the jobs of tomorrow.”
    But there are some clouds on the horizon, he said. For one thing, the spending is being done by a small number of big companies and “it will be interesting to see if that momentum can be sustained.”
    Also, there were changes in federal 2012 tax credit policies that might have a negative impact on research and development spending in the future, Freedman said.
    The government needs to update its tax definitions and polices to become more focused on technology and product development, he said. “The definitions being used for industrial research are based on a 1960s paradigm for innovation and that is outmoded now.”
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,355 Global Posts
    PIN
    @getdjmac

Default Re: RIM Top R&D Spender in Canada

Good find, thanks. It's good to see RIM is plugging away. They hold the keys to a bright future. They have to spend it to make it. PLUS I believe they are good fiscal managers!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,543 Global Posts

Too bad Canadians are among their nastiest critics.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,264 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RubberChicken76 View Post
    I'm not sure that's a bad thing. Compliments may encourage happiness, but they don't encourage improvement.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,543 Global Posts

I agree on the improvement. Culturally though, there's a difference between Canadians and Americans. Americans cheer for their own, Canadians are much less supportive of theirs.
    CrackBerry Genius

I'm not even sure if many of us know RIM is Canadian.

It's good to see RIM spending a big chunk of their revenue on R&D. It is proportionally much higher than Apple. Source. I'd rather be buying from a company that spends money trying to develop the best product, as opposed to a company that spends money trying to convince people they have the best product.
    Blatant placeholder signature.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Masahiro View Post
    I'm not even sure if many of us know RIM is Canadian.
    Probably due to the fact Research In Motion goes out of its way to appear "American." Maybe if Buffalo, NY, annexes Waterloo, ON, their mission will be complete.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    713 Global Posts

It's no surprise.... the Canadian government gives as much as a 50% credit on R&D spending by corporations.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    461 Global Posts

While R&D spending is good, using the R&D/Revenue ratio as a measure of innovation is a very old-fashioned stock analyst metric that doesn't count for much. For one thing, it's not comparable across industries. Tech R&D/Revenue ratios will be different than pharmaceutical R&D/Revenue. Same for aerospace engineering companies.

Microsoft and Nokia also spend big in R&D relative to revenue, but depending on corporate strategy, many projects end up going nowhere or are never commericialized. For example, under Bill Gates MS had begun research on e-reader technology in 1998, but under Ballmer that project was scrapped in 2003/4. Amazon released the Kindle in 2006 and basically controls the book market today.

Similarly, before Nokia went with Windows phone, they had spent literally billions of dollars trying to shoehorn the Linux-based Meego operating system into phones, and replace the aging Symbian OS, which had been a disaster on touch-based phones. They managed to release the N9 with Meego in 2011 (and the N900 with Maemo, an earlier incarnation of Meego in 2009), but ultimately realized it was more money and effort than it was worth.

Does Nokia's story remind anyone of anything?
    Roo Zilla likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    Optional, but not needed.

Linux is quite complex if you ask me, QNX being even more complex. I have only used ubuntu.

I'm glad RIM is R&D spending wisely. Better than others have done to bribe the public's eyes with advertisements and doing the exact opposite.

GO RIM!!!

*POSTED using my Crackberry @ wapforums.crackberry.com
    Flamers, don't even try, I have my waterhose ready
    GNU/Linux distros of choice: Ubuntu, Mint (or anything based on debian that's still geared towards beginners and isn't too bloated).

My Tweets, Wordpress Blog, My Statuses, My Formspring.me & Videos (Viddler), (Dailymotion), (YouTube Partner channel)
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

Default RIM Top R&D Spender in Canada

Quote Originally Posted by aniym View Post
    Does Nokia's story remind anyone of anything?
    Yeah. Palm. Their buggy and laggy OS made me laugh when I tried it around 2005.

The problem with Nokia was that Blackberry already crushed them in the smartphone race. Nokia never had a loyal following in the smartphone wars. By the time they were trying to compete in that market it was game over.

The difference with RIM is they had and still have a loyal following. All they need to do is release their updated QNX based software and they should be able to recapture market share.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,543 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BB9700CA View Post
    Probably due to the fact Research In Motion goes out of its way to appear "American." Maybe if Buffalo, NY, annexes Waterloo, ON, their mission will be complete.
    How did you come up with that hypothesis?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,543 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BB9700CA View Post
    How did you come up with that hypothesis?

The problem with Nokia was that Blackberry already crushed them in the smartphone race. Nokia never had a loyal following in the smartphone wars. By the time they were trying to compete in that market it was game over.
    Do you wander outside of North America much?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  

Do you wander outside of North America much?
    Yup.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,521 Global Posts

I am Canadian and I am 100% Rim. Go rim go

Sent from Blackberry Playbook using TapaTalk 2
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,927 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rootbrian View Post
    Linux is quite complex if you ask me, QNX being even more complex. I have only used ubuntu.

I'm glad RIM is R&D spending wisely. Better than others have done to bribe the public's eyes with advertisements and doing the exact opposite.

GO RIM!!!

*POSTED using my Crackberry @ wapforums.crackberry.com
    QNX is NOT complex. It's extremely simple, just well optimized. BB10 may be complex, but QNX is not.
    CrackBerry Addict

Increase speed of R & D tech to market.
    Creator/Architect of WireLink : Multiple Numbers from One BlackBerry | Privacy and Communications Identity Management http://wirelink.co
    Coming Soon: Pixel Censor (Redact, Censor Images)
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    Optional, but not needed.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeo007 View Post
    QNX is NOT complex. It's extremely simple, just well optimized. BB10 may be complex, but QNX is not.
    I meant to say BB10. Oops.
    Flamers, don't even try, I have my waterhose ready
    GNU/Linux distros of choice: Ubuntu, Mint (or anything based on debian that's still geared towards beginners and isn't too bloated).

My Tweets, Wordpress Blog, My Statuses, My Formspring.me & Videos (Viddler), (Dailymotion), (YouTube Partner channel)