CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default RIM should partner with i.TV, similar to Nintendo did on Wii U

I was reading this Engadget article, and learned that the Nintendo TVii is powered by i.TV.
    Here's the company behind Nintendo TVii (spoilers: it's not Nintendo) -- Engadget

It would be great if RIM partnered with i.TV as well for BB10 so that we can get access to content as well as control over our Cable boxes, DVRs, etc, view TV listings - to work as both a "second screen" and a first screen.

i.TV – The Discover, Watch, Engage Platform for Television

What do you guys think?
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    713 Global Posts

From what I have read on i.tv, they do not have any rights to the content. They are simply a way to find Movies and TV shows. Once you find what you want to watch, You are then prompted to buy or rent from iTunes, Amazon, Netflix.

I think Rovi was a better fit, because they actually own content. They are like an independent iTunes. They just have to do a better job with their app and also add more content. I am sure if RIM had more Cash on hand, that they would simply buy Rovi.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

I'm thinking it'd be a great way to get Hulu, Netflix, and other content which has been missing on the PlayBook. I'm sure they could incorporate the Rovi market into a BlackBerry-branded offering. Think of it as a portal of multiple sources of content.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    100 Global Posts

You're misunderstanding how i.TV works. They provide Nintendo with the guide data -- and sports score data -- as well as the personalization and recommendation data. i.TV is a competitor to GetGlue, IntoNow and TVPlus.

I talked with the guys at i.TV extensively at the Wii U event (and have known them for a long time) and what they are doubt is super slick, but it won't help RIM o talk to them until Amazon, Hulu and Netflix sign on with BlackBerry.

As for the TV control, that's actually kind of easy. Just build an IR into the phone and let it act as a universal remote.