Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree16Likes
  • 5 Post By jsmall999
  • 2 Post By DrBit2011
  • 2 Post By chrysaurora
  • 1 Post By sf49ers
  • 1 Post By Dapper37
  • 2 Post By BB10BelieveIt
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default RIM Receives Approval from Visa for Mobile Payment Solution

RIM Receives Approval from Visa for Mobile Payment Solution - Yahoo! Finance

WATERLOO, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - Jan. 16, 2013) - Research In Motion (RIM) (RIMM)(RIM.TO) today announced that its Secure Element Manager (SEM) solution for NFC (Near Field Communication) mobile payments has been approved by Visa. RIM's SEM is the backend solution for carriers that can securely manage credentials on SIM (subscriber identity module) cards installed in all types of NFC-capable mobile devices.

"The approval from Visa of RIM's SEM solution is an important step in that it will enable carriers to support Visa issuing banks and financial institutions," said Frank Maduri, Senior Director, NFC Services and TSM Product Management at RIM. "We now offer carriers a robust solution with around-the-clock global support that works on any NFC-capable device, and meets the stringent technology and usability guidelines for Visa."

"RIM's success in gaining Visa's formal approval as secure element manager is a crucial step in expanding RIM's role as a key security partner for mobile payment solutions around the globe," said Andy Castonguay, Principal Analyst, at Informa Telecoms & Media. "RIM's secure network operations center provides a unique combination of global geographic reach, and has established trusted relationships with hundreds of carriers around the world with an unparalleled reputation for security, which sets RIM apart as an SEM partner in the growing mobile payments space."

Today's announcement from RIM builds on the recent deployment of mobile payments in Canada by EnStream, a joint venture of Bell, Rogers and TELUS, which uses RIM's SEM solution.

About Research In Motion

Research In Motion (RIM), a global leader in wireless innovation, revolutionized the mobile industry with the introduction of the BlackBerry® solution in 1999. Today, BlackBerry® products and services are used by millions of customers around the world to stay connected to the people and content that matter most throughout their day. Founded in 1984 and based in Waterloo, Ontario, RIM operates offices in North America, Europe, Asia Pacific and Latin America. RIM is listed on the NASDAQ Stock Market (RIMM) and the Toronto Stock Exchange (RIM.TO). For more information, visit: RIM Company - Learn about Research In Motion or Cell Phones, Smartphones & Mobile Phones from BlackBerry.com.
    Thanked by 2:
    DrBit2011 (01-16-2013),  jrohland (01-16-2013) 
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    PIN
    2151F248

and the iFans say NFC is DOA, i laught in your faces iDiots!!
    Live Long and Prosper!
    Dapper37 and bb624 like this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Just like the 7 inch tablet.
    Banned

Do iPhones even have NFC? I'm sure they do or else they are even more outdated then I thought.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    PIN
    2151F248

Quote Originally Posted by metz9444 View Post
    Just like the 7 inch tablet.
    Hahahaaha!! Touche!!
    Live Long and Prosper!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    PIN
    2151F248

Quote Originally Posted by mrfreetruth View Post
    Do iPhones even have NFC? I'm sure they do or else they are even more outdated then I thought.
    They are, imagine, they still use home button and a not real multitasking
    Live Long and Prosper!
    CrackBerry Abuser

This is going to be very useful. Cannot wait
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,343 Global Posts

Makes me wonder why Andoird phones, especially the S3 or Notes, weren't used for payment and only BB.

Currently rogers and cibc offer a nfc payment solution...only on BB.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,062 Global Posts

Default RIM Receives Approval from Visa for Mobile Payment Solution

Quote Originally Posted by narci View Post
    Makes me wonder why Andoird phones, especially the S3 or Notes, weren't used for payment and only BB.

Currently rogers and cibc offer a nfc payment solution...only on BB.
    The SIII has NFC, and can be used for payments...

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,380 Global Posts

I bet carriers are salivating at this news.

edit: read carrier support.

I like how RIM has an actual business plan as opposed to just giving stuff away and pray you make money later.
    CrackBerry Master

What's Secure Element Manager (SEM) in lay-person's language?
    Will we still require special NFC enabled SIM Card? CIBC/Rogers require you to buy NFC enabled SIM Card even if your phone has NFC built-in.

By the way, all those analysts who were worried (or scare mongering) that RIM is going to lose service-revenue are YET to realize that this ('payment processing') business could net HUGE amount of service revenue. May easily offset (or even eclipse) RIM's existing service revenue. Imagine, RIM getting a cent or two for every payment made via BB NFC. It'd quickly add up!
    Thanked by:
    ctuffy (01-16-2013) 
    jakie55 and spike12 like this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,380 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chrysaurora View Post
    What's Secure Element Manager (SEM) in lay-person's language?
    Will we still require special NFC enabled SIM Card? CIBC/Rogers require you to buy NFC enabled SIM Card even if your phone has NFC built-in.
    "RIM's SEM is the backend solution for carriers that can securely manage credentials on SIM (subscriber identity module) cards installed in all types of NFC-capable mobile devices."
    CrackBerry Master

There is a greater chance that carriers may push other vendors to use RIM's solution because carriers want a pie of next big thing that is bound to happen - mobile currency, reason being it is not just the securing the data at rest but securing data in the transit using RIM's NOC spanned across all over the world. Potential use cases could be money transfer, purchases, currency conversions - think of a Paypal on steroids. It is matter of time other providers like Mastercard, Discover and Amex will certify the Blackberry NFC solution. It's what you call leapfrogging..
    spike12 likes this.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,343 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MartyMcfly View Post
    The SIII has NFC, and can be used for payments...

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    In Terms of Canada, Only Rogers phones with a NFC SIM card and a CIBC credit card can make payments (as far as I know but you can correct me)

https://www.cibc.com/ca/features/mobile-payment.html
    CrackBerry Master

iphone does not support NFC. The next ones that are released will have it, according to articles that I have read about it. RIM is ahead of them on that, and I am sure on many other features this Z10 is going to be packed with
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,355 Global Posts
    PIN
    @getdjmac

Quote Originally Posted by mrfreetruth View Post
    Recent reports say that the ip5s will have NFC and apple will claim they invented it!
    That will make all the ifans forget that they were just fleased buying the ip5
    DJM626 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,023 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FanBlackBerrytastic View Post
    Recent reports say that the ip5s will have NFC and apple will claim they invented it!
    That will make all the ifans forget that they were just fleased buying the ip5
    But then they won't have their aluminium back?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,355 Global Posts
    PIN
    @getdjmac

I wonder if this means that all future Vsia machines will be connected to RIM NOC?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,355 Global Posts
    PIN
    @getdjmac

Quote Originally Posted by cjcampbell View Post
    But then they won't have their aluminium back?
    Going to be a lot of icry going on.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by narci View Post
    In Terms of Canada, Only Rogers phones with a NFC SIM card and a CIBC credit card can make payments (as far as I know but you can correct me)
    There are two separate initiatives in Canada. The one you are talking about is a little farther along (ie already in use) The far larger project is being run by EnStream, which is a joint venture (one new company backed several existing companies ) formed by Rogers, Bell, and Telus. This is the big one, and it is backed by RIM's "secure element solution". This NFC network will eventually move beyond payments to government licensing, library cards, transit passes, anything currently in your wallet.

The secure element is a chip (actual hardware) embedded in the SIM card. Carriers will charge you the same that they charge for a regular SIM; nothing, because they want you to use your phone for everything (it's good for business). RIM has created a network that augments carrier's network and probably turns the message from phone<>bank into an ultra secure, encrypted and fast BBM. Quite frankly, this Visa announcement has been expected as you can already use visa and MC passpass and paywave with the Rogers/CIBC NFC program that you were talking about. It's only a matter of time before the other major credit card companies make it official.

For those interested, I wrote a comprehensive article on RIM's mobile payment opportunity, have a read. Mobile Payments: The Coming Growth Engine For Wireless Carriers - Seeking Alpha
    Follow the breadcrumb trail of RIM's epic comeback with BB10BelieveIt on Twitter at @CrumbsObserver
    Thanked by 3:
    jakie55 (01-17-2013),  Shanerredflag (01-17-2013) 
    sf49ers and ctuffy like this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,380 Global Posts

Honestly, I think the big here, beyond these petty/pointless conversations about apps/ecosystems we have is RIM is going to push a globalization of a lot of our daily activities making the world a seemless community. Globalization is likely inevitable anyways. I really hope an actual competitor arises because I'm an opponent of monopolies.

In other countries you can pay for the train or a cab with the same proximity sensitive card. You may even be able to purchase food. This is not really that ground breaking but it sets the table for adding this ability to our phones. There is no company better suited for this than RIM with their security and privacy focus along with their ever expanding global network (although this really goes against and I'd assume is to the miscontent of googles data-mining model). RIM is really making all the other companies look inept at forseeing what the future holds as they push innovation. I'm really hoping someone else steps up to the challenge because I don't want to have only RIM to choose from.

I feel it would be fair for other contenders to face the same ignorant, illogicaly negative, doom-and-glum garbage from the media but I hope and feel when the next wave of competitors come to completely disrupt the teetering duopoly they will be given more of a chance. I've already seen articles were Tizen apparently and amazingly faces zero of the hurdles BB10 will/has.