Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Ruslan Botsyurko
  • 1 Post By AfroZepher
  • 1 Post By jakie55
  1. timmy t's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,324 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default RIM ramps

    This Morning: Cisco Surges, AAPL Defended, RIM Ramps - Tech Trader Daily - Barrons.com

    "...Daniel Shen and Steve Shen with DigiTimes reported late yesterday that multiple Taiwanese contract manufacturers are beginning “small volume production” of Research in Motion‘s (RIMM) BlackBerry based on the new “BB10″ software, which is expected to debut on January 30th, citing multiple unnamed industry sources..."


    This leads to an interesting questions for me. First of all, when carriers do their testing, do they do it for specific hardware like a processor and RAM configuration or is it more general than that. What I mean is, if RIM is just starting production, can it change the CPU without causing the carriers to say their testing is no longer valid. I know some things like the antenna and related software would be critical and should not be changed but what about CPUs?

    Does this mean RIM can throw the latest and greatest quad core processors into the new BB10 phones if they want?
  2. Ruslan Botsyurko's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    898 Posts
    Global Posts
    901 Global Posts
    #2  

    Default Re: RIM ramps

    I don't know how the carrier testing works, but speculated BlackBerry Aristo should get a quadcore processor. Personally I'd prefer lower price with a dualcore CPU instead of paying more for a quadcore that I would rarely use. If the system is clean and well optimized, it doesn't need superpower to run smoothly and I don't think there's currently any game dualcore wouldn't manage.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
  3. timmy t's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,324 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

    Default

    I agree Ruslan but some people will be negative about it if it doesn't have the latest CPU available. Some people aren't as bright as you and me
  4. Superfly_FR's Avatar

    Posts
    10,295 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,315 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey, what did you expect ?
    #4  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by timmy t View Post
    I agree Ruslan but some people will be negative about it if it doesn't have the latest CPU available. Some people aren't as bright as you and me
    No, only the planet geek will react, eventually. Then it will be the usage that will tell if the device is responsive enough. Dev Alpha (A) is already top notch ... so I believe optimized and enhanced hardware+software will make BB10 devices lightning fast !
    Join my BBM Channel : C00035FA6
    "I speak English like a Spanish Cow"
    I'm a StockBerrian, proudly holding 50 150 250 400 550 1000 BlackBerry shares
  5. timmy t's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,324 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly_FR View Post
    No, only the planet geek will react, eventually. Then it will be the usage that will tell if the device is responsive enough. Dev Alpha (A) is already top notch ... so I believe optimized and enhanced hardware+software will make BB10 devices lightning fast !
    Yes, but you have to futureproof your phone, just like your computer. It is a blend of cost and trying to guess what new, CPU hog games or apps might come out in the next couple of years that determines how much CPU and RAM you want to pay for when buying a new computer and the same should probably apply to smartphones too.
  6. AfroZepher's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,186 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,187 Global Posts
    #6  

    Default

    "Futureproofing" is the last thing most consumers are thinking about. . .how many people can tell you how much RAM in in the iPhone 5? If the OS is optimized to run smoothly on the hardware and there is enough flashy transitions and cool and unique visuals that can be marketed as "new features" then that's all you need to sell the device . . .
    Superfly_FR likes this.
  7. kill_9's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    5,168 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts
    #7  

    Default

    ...manufacturers are beginning “small volume production” of Research in Motion‘s (RIMM) BlackBerry based on the new “BB10″ software...
    Research In Motion better have plenty of product available at launch because any delay in reaching the hands of consumers could prove fatal. Having multiple manufacturers while seemingly smart also introduces the potential for quality control variations between production runs. The market acceptance for any new product is less than 30 days during which time the reviews, formal and word-of-mouth, seal the product's fate. I have set the countdown clock for Wednesday, 30 January 2013. I expect Rogers Communications / Rogers Wireless to have BlackBerry 10 smartphones weeks after the official announcement by Research In Motion.
  8. Superfly_FR's Avatar

    Posts
    10,295 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,315 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey, what did you expect ?
    #8  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by timmy t View Post
    Yes, but you have to futureproof your phone, just like your computer. It is a blend of cost and trying to guess what new, CPU hog games or apps might come out in the next couple of years that determines how much CPU and RAM you want to pay for when buying a new computer and the same should probably apply to smartphones too.
    I don't think so. As AfroZepher wrote, do you believe appl customers can figure what's inside an iPhone5 ? Nope; they don't even make the difference between CPU an GPU and have no clue about SD cards .
    Join my BBM Channel : C00035FA6
    "I speak English like a Spanish Cow"
    I'm a StockBerrian, proudly holding 50 150 250 400 550 1000 BlackBerry shares
  9. mikeo007's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    4,219 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,953 Global Posts
    #9  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by timmy t View Post
    This leads to an interesting questions for me. First of all, when carriers do their testing, do they do it for specific hardware like a processor and RAM configuration or is it more general than that. What I mean is, if RIM is just starting production, can it change the CPU without causing the carriers to say their testing is no longer valid. I know some things like the antenna and related software would be critical and should not be changed but what about CPUs?
    Historically, carriers have required the ability to test exact hardware and software combinations. It's part of the reason why old OS5-6-7 updates took forever to come to some carriers.

    Does this mean RIM can throw the latest and greatest quad core processors into the new BB10 phones if they want?
    No, because they have likely already sourced the parts and have their POs in. Hardware decisions have to be finalized well before launch due to how the supply chain works.

    As for future phones beyond the L & N series, it would depend on when they're launched.
  10. twstd.reality's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,250 Posts
    #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeo007 View Post
    No, because they have likely already sourced the parts and have their POs in. Hardware decisions have to be finalized well before launch due to how the supply chain works
    Exactly. Sourcing and buying parts from vendors can sometimes take weeks, or even longer depending on part availability. Not to mention, every part and every component has different specs/footprints/packing/etc. If you change one component, odds are you'll have to change the interfacing components as well - it's not plug and play. This means changing the BOM, changing the schematics, changing the PCB layout, and whatever else. A lapse in communication could mean a part is missed and the whole run is trashed.
  11. scalemaster34's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    6,208 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,212 Global Posts
    #11  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AfroZepher View Post
    "Futureproofing" is the last thing most consumers are thinking about. . .how many people can tell you how much RAM in in the iPhone 5? If the OS is optimized to run smoothly on the hardware and there is enough flashy transitions and cool and unique visuals that can be marketed as "new features" then that's all you need to sell the device . . .
    True the average consumer is not going to care as much about the hardware... unless in six months they find out that their device can not do something that other devices can do. RIM has had major problems in the past with only using minimal hardware that couldn't run the next OS upgrade.

    But I don't see that being a problem based on the hardware in the current Beta/Alpha test units.

    Will RIM be able to keep up with the newest Android hardware... NO, but I don't think they could afford to fight that "war", or that it is necessary that the try. Remember that unlike computers that people might keep for five years or more, most smartphones only see a two or three year window of usage. So RIM only has to build to fit within that window.
  12. timmy t's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,324 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

    Default

    My point, regarding hardware, is that what is in the dev devices were spece'd and built months ago. They could have waited until just a few weeks ago or so to decide what CPU etc. is going to be in the first run of phones.
  13. timmy t's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,324 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AfroZepher View Post
    "Futureproofing" is the last thing most consumers are thinking about. . .how many people can tell you how much RAM in in the iPhone 5? If the OS is optimized to run smoothly on the hardware and there is enough flashy transitions and cool and unique visuals that can be marketed as "new features" then that's all you need to sell the device . . .
    So then why do so many people here seem to want the top hardware on the phones? Why are people saying they better have the same or better specs than the latest Android phones? Or more RAM (and don't tell me RAM is not important) especially with multi-processing.
  14. jakie55's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    484 Posts
    Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    PIN
    2AE49F77
    #14  

    Default

    The android platform makers have to resort to the spec battle, because that is all they have to differentiate themselves from the other manufacturers. As I see it, the advantage Apple, Microsoft, and Blackberry have is that they are different OS's from Android, and so can stand on their experience, not specs.
    Q 10 and Z30 for the win!
    now on leak 10.3.0.1418 via Sachesi
    pebble watch
    Playbook 64 gb wifi retired
    Galaxy tab4 5.0 given to me free
    AfroZepher likes this.
  15. AfroZepher's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,186 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,187 Global Posts
    #15  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by timmy t View Post
    So then why do so many people here seem to want the top hardware on the phones? Why are people saying they better have the same or better specs than the latest Android phones? Or more RAM (and don't tell me RAM is not important) especially with multi-processing.
    I'd assume most of the folks here are not average consumers. . .also we all know that if you have well made software built specifically to run efficiently with the hardware then you can have a smooth and snappy UX without the most "cutting edge" internal specs (Apple has be using this approach for years with obviously great results . . .) I'd assume because Android isn't particularly specific to any hardware then having "better specs" can make up for that lack of. . .um. . . optimization? And many consumers with no idea of what RAM or CPU speeds actually mean buy into the whole "more is better" mantra so sometimes simply having the better specs can maybe be simply for marketing sake. . .

Similar Threads

  1. Time for RIM to ramp up the marketing machine
    By fanchettes in forum General BlackBerry Discussion
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 09-24-2012, 07:31 PM
  2. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-16-2011, 11:05 PM
  3. RIM and AT&T Launch a "Red Hot" BlackBerry Pearl
    By kasperapd in forum BlackBerry Pearl 8100
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-26-2007, 07:09 PM
  4. RIM to add color/music players/video recorders
    By MMB916 in forum News & Rumors
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-27-2007, 12:44 PM
  5. Chairman of RIM - Jim Balsillie
    By tmag2005 in forum News & Rumors
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-06-2007, 07:20 AM

Posting Permissions