Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Munchito1976
    CrackBerry Master

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Rim Rally: Maybe Apple is playing a role here [article]

What do investors see in RIM these days? Perhaps a new vulnerability in Apple.

“All it takes is for one or two good things to happen and the outlook can change quite quickly,” he said in a research note. “We think there is a reasonable likelihood that BB10 will trigger such a change in outlook.”

Since then, Mr. Pollitt has had access to the BB10 after enrolling in the developer program, for the purpose of writing applications, giving him a far closer look at what’s arriving in the New Year. He remains a fan: “The development framework is intuitive and accessible yet at the same time very powerful,” he said via email.

But you also have to wonder if RIM’s rebound is also part of a reappraisal of Apple. Over the same period that RIM’s share price has nearly doubled, Apple’s share price has slumped about 20 per cent.

Coincidence? Apple’s latest iPhone and iPad models have been well-received – but you get the sense that the company is no longer seen as infallible. Those latest gadgets showed incremental improvements rather than revolutionary changes designed to keep Apple well in front of the competition.

Complete article:

RIM rally: Maybe Apple is playing a role here - The Globe and Mail
    CrackBerry Genius

I think it's wishful thinking the two are connected at this stage. I think the big part of RIM's rise is simple, more people are realizing that BB10 has all the things that could lead to a winner. A platform that can stop the bleeding and have potential to scratch a little bit of market share back. BB10 has the all the right tools to allow RIM to start making money again. Maybe some day the two will pass each other again (one on the way up, and one on the way down....only the shoe on the other foot this time) ....but until then, I see no connection.
    CrackBerry Abuser

^^agree that it really has nothing to do with Apple.

People are realizing that:

1) The market now firmly beleives RIM is going to make it to launch BB10
    2) The product is receiving very good feedback in the media (this is all Thor & team who have been all over the place lately), pointing to the posibility that BB10 can be successful.
    3) The stock was beaten down so bad, the market was basically saying that RIM was all but dead. Because of #1 & 2 and its bargain basement share price, the stock is now going all Rocketballz
    Thunderbuck and sugbo like this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    648 Global Posts
    PIN

Default Re: Rim Rally: Maybe Apple is playing a role here [article]

Apple has passed its pinnacle. iPhone 4 is where they fell off unless they come with a serious game changer what do they have? By the time they could bring it BB10 will have been in the market making the weaker systems weaknesses very aparent to the consumer.
    BlackBerry 10 is not late. It's early. @JMZNVS @BBRYFLOW
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    593 Global Posts

Since then, Mr. Pollitt has had access to the BB10 after enrolling in the developer program
    I don't get from where the media keeps getting the term "the BB10", it's starting to grow on me but for all the wrong reasons.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    477 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BaconMunch View Post
    I don't get from where the media keeps getting the term "the BB10", it's starting to grow on me but for all the wrong reasons.
    LOL same. Everywhere I read about it, its "the BB10, the BB10". RIM looks to launch the BB10 in Q1 of 2013 etc etc. Even had a friend of mine message me the other day saying "Hey man, have you played around with the BB10 yet?" lol.
    Remember to RTFM.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,455 Global Posts

Unlikely. RIM is gaining cause it looks like there product is no longer just vaporware but the real deal.
    8700, Bold 9000, Bold 9700, Torch 9860, Z10! Spider-Man case FTW!!!
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,475 Global Posts
    PIN
    32FE97BA

I am all for RIM making a HUGE comeback and making everyone eat crow.

However with regards to the stock market -- lots of folks blamed declines in RIM's stock price on people shorting the stock and trying to push it down.

So if the stock is on the rise, shouldn't the reverse be true? How much of this is an attempt to inflate the price to make some $$?

I will remind everyone that in the run up to the PlayBook's release RIM's shares went up considerably, at least $10 a share as I remember.

Anyway, I hope this is sustained. (fingers crossed)
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,934 Global Posts

Global Posts
    6,560 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6927F7

Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    I don't know how you can call a peak of $700/sh+ that's pulled back to $560/sh in a couple of months is any kind of rally, let alone an "insane" one.

Unless by "insane", you mean "delusional"
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,101 Global Posts

Default Rim Rally: Maybe Apple is playing a role here [article]

Why does Apple have to be the focus of everything that goes on. Not everything in the techworld(and world in general) needs to be related to apple in some way.

Oh, btw, I just heard that the cease fire between Israel and Gaza was a direct result of iPAd retina displays that wowed the respective leaders so much that they forgot what they were fighting about.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    10,360 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey, what did you expect ?

A very good friend of mine is a stock seller. He recently got quoted in a French financial media, after whe had a long talk about RIM (he's well informed, he wanted some "tech" point of view).
    This is what has been quoted, in an article that was pointing out the decline of high tech values ...
    Whole sector does not suffer in the same way, some companies seem to rise from the ashes as RIM (BlackBerry maker). [...] But it is true that the outlook given by several industry giants do not lead to euphoria
    This is what all is about; RIM has succeeded to impress by innovation it's not about apple or x or z nor y. It's about vision, and the ability to create a new envy. RIM can and if MS can too ... that's exactly the best scenario IMHO. "The breach" ... you can call me dotard on this, I'll stick to it. Moreover now that carriers expressed their support !
    Join my BBM Channel : C00035FA6
    "I speak English like a Spanish Cow"
    I'm a StockBerrian, proudly holding 50 150 250 400 550 1000 BlackBerry shares
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,934 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbuck View Post
    I don't know ...snip)
    The key to your quandary is in your own words, highlighted above.
    CrackBerry Master

I think the comment from the guy earlier this week that carriers like the new phones/OS/ecosystem more than he expected is very, very big.
    More shelf space and employees steering people to BB phones instead of iPhones and Android clones may be a huge factor in their market share.
    Your welcome.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    The key to your quandary is in your own words, highlighted above.

Thnderbuck also mentioned the word "delusional"... I think we know who that applies to here...
    You laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at you because you're all the same!
    Storm 9530 -> Pearl 9100 -> Torch 9860
    CrackBerry Genius

Apple is still up 50% this year and has tripled over the last 3 years. With a very uncertain US capital gains tax rate coming in 2013 and a run like Apple has had, the average investor would be crazy not to at least consider selling some or all of their stock in Apple or any other company where they have big gains. Unfortunately for RIMM shareholders that is not a consideration.