Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree44Likes
    CrackBerry Master

At a big BLUE Canadian telecom I work for in engineering I have to say that when we outsourced part of our job, (the accounting and closing of completed projects) It was a disaster and we got the work back in months. And a bunch of over time to fix the problems. Not saying this will happen here but you have to watch when you outsource. No only can customer service become terrible it could cost more money than its worth.
    BlackBerry Z30 Running 10.3.1.1151
    Twitter: @ShawnRussell
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,670 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy1966 View Post
    My 9700 was made in Mexico. Not sure where my 9900 and 9790 are made as I can't be bothered to look but I'm pretty sure they're not made in Canada either.
    Let's remember that RIM still employs a lot of canadians. Even if they moved manufacturing out of Canada to places like China (see Apple and many others), the R&D design and development for their products is largely done in Canada. At least 10,000 employees are in Canada.
    CrackBerry Abuser

This is disappointing! I recently filed an RMA for my playbook (the microusb port broke -- which seems to be a weakness of the product.) Anyway, I found they do the repairs in Tennessee. Soon they'll be Canadian in name only. I try to be loyal to Canadian companies but why bother!?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Although this is exceptionally disappointing news to hear, I think it merely illustrates a broader truth: the economic system that we have fostered over the last 30 years encourages companies to seek out lower priced labour as they grow. It is a sad reality, but one that needs to be addressed on a larger, systemic level. Simply being angry at RIM for following the trend of what other companies do once they grow and become part of a hyper-competitive global market segment ignores the root causes of moves like this. The bottom line is if we want to stop the "race to the bottom", so to speak, then we need to take a hard look at why we have allowed globalization to unfold in the manner it has and we as citizens, and consumers, need to put our voices and our wallets behind our beliefs that moves like this are wrong.
    However, there is also the other side of the coin here as well in that the future growth areas for cell phones are in places like India, Africa, and Indonesia. If that is in some ways where RIm's future lies, then we better expect an ever increasing amount of resources and company structure being shifted to those regions.

Global Posts
    6,558 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6927F7

I take a bit of a broader view on this.

For one thing, we don't know exactly how many of these jobs were actually outsourced, and whether this is a permanent move or possibly project-related. For another, India is, indeed, a fast-growing market for the company. It's not totally out of the question that they've faced some pressure to relocate some positions there.

Finally, sending work to developing countries helps build THEIR middle class.
    Thanked by:
    pcguy514 (11-20-2012) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,122 Global Posts
    PIN
    2AB9C463

Quote Originally Posted by maxb1ack View Post
    As a shelholder I'm disappointed to learn that India buys more BlackBerrys then Canada. Most of Canadian market is shifting towards Android & iOS.

I wouldn't be. Think about the total population of India vs. Canada. Now think about potential BB sales. Do you really think a country with a population of around 40,000,000 can really purchase the same amount of devices as the same age group in India? We would have to buy 23 BlackBerry devices/Canadian to be around par.

Ethical Investing does exist. kiva.org anyone? I doubt anyone on cb bought enough shares that it drastically changed their portfolio. So, 10, 30, 50 shares? Yeah, you are emotionally investing; You feel good about RIM, you want them to succeed. You bought some shares to show support. Not really interested in selling. That's ok. One share doesn't make you a CEO haha

Outsourcing - From a shareholder's point of view, your only thoughts about RIM should be with their ability to generate profits and run a cost efficient organization. Meet deadlines, and settle disputes quickly. You want them streamlined and able to save money when and how they see fit, as long as it benefits the company. Public in North America had their chance to vote down NAFTA. With the rise of the global economy jobs didn't have to be geographically located in the same town, country, continent. The amount a company can save by shipping some of the work to other, cheaper countries will always trump anyone's sense of righteous indignation at 'jobs' being shipped out of country. If local service providers can't provide the proper services when needed or in a timely fashion and at a reasonable cost, then one has no choice but to look elsewhere. That's just business.
    Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum...
    Z10 (v10.2.x.xxx Rogers), Playbook (v2.1.0.1314) | Rooted SGS IV
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,091 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by timmy t View Post
    As a shareholder in RIM, I was disappointed to learn that RIM is outsourcing its Canadian accounting jobs to India. I was hoping for more from Thorsten.
    I was wondering why in another post today you clearly show your disregard for Thor. Thor made it clear that a $billion had to be cut to move forward as a company, you didn't know that as a "shareholder", how unethical of you,lol.

Seriously, get a grip, outsourcing is a cost cutting measure, don't take it so personal.
    On a side note, you ever shop at Wal-Mart, you ever buy gas at Canadian Tire, you ever buy groceries at Loblaws etc , if so you just outsourced your funds to another country!
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

ok, so firstly, i think its wise to point out that `middle class` means different things in different countries/cultures. so its not always a direct comparison.

also worth noting for those saying `it should all be canadian`
    1) most BlackBerry devices arent made in canada.
    2) Thorsten is german not canadian.

personally i buy a product on its abilities, not on where its from.

Thorsten said ZED 10. deal with it
    My Apps in BlackBerry World
    My Platinum 9900

For all my themes - BBThemes.co.uk and follow me on @BBThemes1
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by bk1022 View Post
    Soon they'll be Canadian in name only. I try to be loyal to Canadian companies but why bother!?
    I am sorry, but that is just rubbish, they are still firmly a Canadian company even with these and previous changes, the simple fact of the matter is that to minimise things like shipping costs, they have to have factories based in many countries.

Do you think that they stopped being Canadian when you had some of their previous models designed entirely outside of Canada as they have R&D locations in both the USA and Europe that would have obviously been used for developing software or hardware in the past.
    CrackBerry Master

Please delete, mis-post.
    CrackBerry Master

Quote Originally Posted by RubberChicken76 View Post
    Let's remember that RIM still employs a lot of canadians. Even if they moved manufacturing out of Canada to places like China (see Apple and many others), the R&D design and development for their products is largely done in Canada. At least 10,000 employees are in Canada.
    I absolutely agree, I was just pointing out to the OP that "out-sourcing" has technically been going on for a while at RIM and in all likely-hood his/her hardware has been manufactured off shore by third parties. In most cases I see it as a necessary evil and the only way you'll survive in business these days, I don't see it as immoral as a rule. Having said that, if manufacturing in Canada was possible and it wasn't taken up, that becomes an issue for me.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,318 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bsavvy View Post
    If RIM did not cut any expenses in the short term, they would just bleed themselves dry; resulting in no jobs for the wonderful people of Canada. Sometimes you have to sacrifice in the short term, in order to benefit Canadians in the long term.
    Why yes, I'm suuuure those jobs will be brought right back to Toronto, within half a year of BB10 being a smash hit and RIMs next big surplus. Like heck they will...

RIM should tread very carefully here, the backlash they earn might cost them more than any cost savings. Canada has so far been a great home market for RIM (Probably the only first country where you still see Blackberries and Playbooks in the hands of other people than teenagers) and the moment that Canadians realize that RIM is just another multinational corporation with no loyalties to anybody else than their bottom line and the shareholders, that's a moment they'll lose that home market.

And yes, this is EXACTLY why it's naive to be "loyal" to a brand or a product. You think they're loyal to you? Yeah right!
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    71,200 Global Posts

I see you canooks are just starting this outsourcing thing? Good luck with keeping everything in your own country and paying twice as much for the same products as anyone else. Hope you all have high income.
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    Posted from my phone or pc or tablet that are no better than anyone else's
    Woopie Doopie we have em fun
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by CrackedBarry View Post
    Why yes, I'm suuuure those jobs will be brought right back to Toronto, within half a year of BB10 being a smash hit and RIMs next big surplus. Like heck they will...

RIM should tread very carefully here, the backlash they earn might cost them more than any cost savings. Canada has so far been a great home market for RIM (Probably the only first country where you still see Blackberries and Playbooks in the hands of other people than teenagers) and the moment that Canadians realize that RIM is just another multinational corporation with no loyalties to anybody else than their bottom line and the shareholders, that's a moment they'll lose that home market.
    By short term, they probably meant losing some jobs from Canada to safeguard the ones that are still there rather than implying they would bring these ones back, anyway this idea that Rim owes Canada jobs at the expense of their own survival is idiotic.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123