Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree76Likes
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN

Default Re: RIM is listening - app grid icons have changed

The music icon on the playbook is ugly. I really prefer when they're all in even. I read the rim icon and they said try to make the icons with the shapes like square circles or rectangles. I would go further and say just try to make like squares or squarish circles. rectangles are already too much.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Lol when the homescreen icons were square all we heard were complaints and now that it looks like RIM will be changing it this thread is full of people who liked the square layout. Funny how these things work.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,450 Global Posts

@ UrbanGlowCam
    just currious, what would it look like if you took the current icons & just cut them down from 150 - 114?
    (just looking at your mockups...well done btw)

Proud Owner of a BlackBerry Q10

CrackBerry Addict

I do hope the smaller icons will change in design, they look out of place. The new larger icons (minus the squares) seem best fitted, just smaller would be better. Rounded edges (iOS style) for each app look best.
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    2B1BC93C

I'm glad they're changing it. The icons aren't that visually appealing. They also give a "clunky" look from a few people I've showed BB10 to.
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #81  

Quote Originally Posted by bbpandy View Post
    @ UrbanGlowCam
    just currious, what would it look like if you took the current icons & just cut them down from 150 - 114?
    (just looking at your mockups...well done btw)
    Good idea. I added this in the OP.
    CrackBerry User

Default RIM is listening - app grid icons have changed

Quote Originally Posted by KasukeSadiki View Post
    Lol when the homescreen icons were square all we heard were complaints and now that it looks like RIM will be changing it this thread is full of people who liked the square layout. Funny how these things work.
    You can never please everyone i guess. I like the square icons.
    UrbanGlowCam likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    993 Global Posts

I like the smaller icons. I don't know what they can do to make everyone happy. It will never be for everyone so it's hard to say what looks good and what doesn't because everyone has a different opinion.
    UrbanGlowCam likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Please feel free to ask :)

Watch when RIM unveils the whole OS and all its features and then everyone forgets about the app icons lol...either way is fine to me though. I didn't find the older icons to be that bad (the plain blue background color didn't do it justice) but I like the PlayBook icons as well. Just ready for BB10...
    QNX and LTE, hand me a pen and let's do this.
    **Taken from The Engine**

Yes I am black...and yes I LOVE grape Kool Aid. I can't blame u for judging me

- Durrell
    CrackBerry Abuser

I thought it was a great idea that rim went in this direction and created the boxy apps, I thought it was a little risque but I don't doubt people wouldn't get used to them. The blue stock wallpaper just wasn't doing RIM's design any justice, to me it looks beautiful with the right background (at least something I could get used to).

RIM is listening - app grid icons have changed-bb10-homescreen-03-580-100.jpg

I Just thought that some these designs needed to be redone like the "music app" or maybe just corner one side (Like the bottom or topside) of the boxes so they don't seem as sharp. and I guess they could be a little smaller, but this size is perfect for people with big thumbs.

Question, isn't the Playbook design just your standard run-of-the-mill no-real-border app, like Android? How is that any different from the competition?

P.S I'm also SUPER into the "soft plastic" and "Paper" aesthetic that their pushing forward for their design, not so much the metal and gloss those are tacky.
    r0v3rT3N and Alex_Hong like this.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    107 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cappyshirt View Post
    I thought it was a great idea that rim went in this direction and created the boxy apps, I thought it was a little risque but I don't doubt people wouldn't get used to them. The blue stock wallpaper just wasn't doing RIM's design any justice, to me it looks beautiful with the right background (at least something I could get used to)
    ^This. I don't mind the way the icons look.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,450 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanGlowCam View Post
    Good idea. I added this in the OP.
    thx looking at your mock-up there is a big improvement just by chainging the icon size!
    .......I still think they need to tweek them though.

Maybe we need that Samsung designer who made their icons. According to the court documents she worked so hard making them look great that she didn't have time to breastfeed her baby. Now THAT's dedication...poor baby

Proud Owner of a BlackBerry Q10

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts

Know what, after seeing the image of PlayBook icons lingering on the BB10 UI after a few days again, I still prefer the blocky icons that they used. I still feel that it makes the app launcher more cohesive. The God Forsaken Blue colour that they used during BB Jam Americas for demo really doesn't do it justice at all, I rather they use a simple wallpaper, or just plain grey. When viewed with a wallpaper, it looks much better. When i first saw it i thought the app icon was using blue backdrop for the app name, much like how the selection for BBOS is blue, but then there were other videos that showed it with an actual wallpaper and i thought it looks pretty good.

The blocky icons, works well with the to bar showing the time, and the bottom bar showing the "call", "search", and "camera" button. It goes well with the same rectangular "multi-tasking" active frames. It looks cohesive IMHO.

RIM is listening - app grid icons have changed-bb10-homescreen-03-580-100.jpeg
    RIM is listening - app grid icons have changed-bb10-homescreen-01-580-100.jpeg

But all in all, since RIM has decided to update the UI guidelines, we shall wait and see what they have in mind before speculating too much. I don't think that they will use the PlayBook's icon at all. Since it looks similar to BBOS which is guilty by association. There will probably be a brand new style of icons.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Yeah - I've got to say that I'm a fan of the original BB10 icons. They're much more distinctive than the PlayBook ones, and I think people would instantly recognize it as "BlackBerry". You do need a wallpaper with some 'design' however, to set it off.
    Terminal Musings: http://www.allengeorge.com
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #90  

I agree with some of you that the blocky icons look better when they're smaller, and a have a nice wallpaper to compliment it. Also, I friend pointed out to me that my interpretation was posted on BerryReview.

RIM Revamping BlackBerry 10 Icons to Look Like PlayBook Icons? - BerryReview

I didn't mean to imply that RIM is literally using PlayBook icons for BB10. I just felt they could be similar. I don't think we can totally judge the new look until we see the examples they post. I think more people might be impressed with the new icons now because they're unfamiliar and fresh. The PlayBook icons look like what was introduced nearly 2 years ago so we're all used to it. I remember when the new BB7 icons were shown in the UI and it looked like a nice step up from BB6. But once you get accustomed to it, the novelty kinda wears off.

It's like when you see a new car on the road and have to second glance it. But after a few months they're a dime a dozen and suddenly the uniqueness of it isn't there. I'm not trying to justify the PlayBook-like icons over the current square ones, I'm just trying to say not to totally judge the new look until we see it. I know that's contradicting myself a bit with the mockups I've been doing, but I just did it as a means of discussion and to give people a general idea of where it could be going.
    Thanked by:
    jamezalexander (11-05-2012) 
    Alex_Hong and jamezalexander like this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    647 Global Posts
    PIN

Quote Originally Posted by Cappyshirt View Post
    I thought it was a great idea that rim went in this direction and created the boxy apps, I thought it was a little risque but I don't doubt people wouldn't get used to them. The blue stock wallpaper just wasn't doing RIM's design any justice, to me it looks beautiful with the right background (at least something I could get used to).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BB10-Homescreen-03-580-100.JPG 
Views:	260 
Size:	175.6 KB 
ID:	124685

I Just thought that some these designs needed to be redone like the "music app" or maybe just corner one side (Like the bottom or topside) of the boxes so they don't seem as sharp. and I guess they could be a little smaller, but this size is perfect for people with big thumbs.

Question, isn't the Playbook design just your standard run-of-the-mill no-real-border app, like Android? How is that any different from the competition?

P.S I'm also SUPER into the "soft plastic" and "Paper" aesthetic that their pushing forward for their design, not so much the metal and gloss those are tacky.

exactly! this is beautiful. Here's a write up of why i think the change is a bad idea, just don't want to pontificate in this thread...
    RIM makes changes to App Icon Grid for BB10 | NerdBerry.net
    BlackBerry 10 is not late. It's early. @JMZNVS @BBRYFLOW
    UrbanGlowCam likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #92  

Quote Originally Posted by jamezalexander View Post
    exactly! this is beautiful. Here's a write up of why i think the change is a bad idea, just don't want to pontificate in this thread...
    RIM makes changes to App Icon Grid for BB10 | NerdBerry.net
    That's the other side of the argument which I don't necessarily disagree with. Though I disagree that the new change is more in line with Android AND iOS. Yes, it's more like Android but the current box design is actually more in line with iOS. The reason why I say this is because iOS has a uniform shape for all of their icons. It may not be a perfect square, but the container is the same for each app to keep them looking the same. This is how it's different from the unique silhouette based icons like Android, PlayBook Tablet OS, and soon BB10.

I think RIM can still pull it off this way if they create some cohesive icons and help developers keep theirs in line. I'm sure they'll keep it fresh.
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    2B1BC93C

The current icons were OKAY. They could have been better though. Much better. More visually appealing.

But yes, the blue background did not do it justice. But still, I hope they have better icons.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts

Looks like your work is spreading around the net, UrbanGlowCam. RIM updating BlackBerry 10 icons : The Droid Guy
    Blatant placeholder signature.
    Thanked by:
    UrbanGlowCam (11-06-2012) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    317 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Hong View Post
    Know what, after seeing the image of PlayBook icons lingering on the BB10 UI after a few days again, I still prefer the blocky icons that they used. I still feel that it makes the app launcher more cohesive. The God Forsaken Blue colour that they used during BB Jam Americas for demo really doesn't do it justice at all, I rather they use a simple wallpaper, or just plain grey. When viewed with a wallpaper, it looks much better. When i first saw it i thought the app icon was using blue backdrop for the app name, much like how the selection for BBOS is blue, but then there were other videos that showed it with an actual wallpaper and i thought it looks pretty good.

The blocky icons, works well with the to bar showing the time, and the bottom bar showing the "call", "search", and "camera" button. It goes well with the same rectangular "multi-tasking" active frames. It looks cohesive IMHO.

Name:	BB10-Homescreen-03-580-100.jpeg 
Views:	214 
Size:	175.6 KB 
ID:	124697

Name:	BB10-Homescreen-01-580-100.jpeg 
Views:	205 
Size:	168.5 KB 
ID:	124696

But all in all, since RIM has decided to update the UI guidelines, we shall wait and see what they have in mind before speculating too much. I don't think that they will use the PlayBook's icon at all. Since it looks similar to BBOS which is guilty by association. There will probably be a brand new style of icons.
    Though some of the icons desperately needed to be changed, I still thought square icons could have worked for them. Though I guess they want to keep friction with developers to a minimum, so changing the guidelines was probably best.
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #96  

Quote Originally Posted by Masahiro View Post
    Looks like your work is spreading around the net, UrbanGlowCam. RIM updating BlackBerry 10 icons : The Droid Guy
    I saw! Thanks for pointing it out. Though I hope I'm not misrepresenting RIM here and giving the out of know users the wrong impression. Not my intentions. But I'm sure the guys/gals at RIM will post some of their own visual guidelines soon enough.
    mithrazor likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

I wonder if we are not overlooking another possibility for the updates to the icons, plenty on here have pointed out that the background serves a purpose of allowing the app names to be seen regardless of your choice of background and usability and function have always been important to Rim, so maybe they won't actually be dumping that and we will just see smaller icons in a wider variety of shapes, but we still keep some kind of border behind them and the text?

Here's hoping that if we have overlooked any ways that they are going to change them that they will make them narrower overall so that it is easier to move them around.
    CrackBerry User

***I Hope RIM is Listening***
    Dear RIM,
    As of right now, you have a huge opening to take the lead. In my opinion iOS is dull and WP8 is just a cluster f***. The new features of BB10 are unique and amazing. And all that is left for you to do is to make the home screen, app icons, and hardware sexy and elegant. In my opinion the squared icons need to have slightly rounded edges, borders, or slight effects around them, yet remain square for continuity. The continuity will help keep consistency across all other devices and advertising purposes. If you notice, the iOS icons have continuity on all devices and in advertising uses (i.e. crate and barrel flyers, magazine backgrounds, commercials, etc). Therefore, please do not change them back to the unboxed-ugly playbook icons; that would be the biggest mistake ever. If I were to design the home screen and icons for BB10, I would just anticipate how Apple is going to improve theirs, yet make it better and BlackBerry unique with some added pop to them. This is it RIM, you guys have an opening--right now!
    PS: The tool bar (phone, search, camera ) on the bottom of the home screen needs to be redesigned as well. Furthermore, that blue background does no justice for the icons and home-screen. Also, please do yourself a favor and stop leaking anymore features and goodies that others will copy before launch. Secondly, hiring Scott Forstall would be great--not only for his amazing talent, but for positive publicity as well. Finally, utilize all that great design talent at TAT. Swedes are the best designers in the world. They have an eye for Timeless-luxurious-modern-elegance in design.
    Last edited by Bsavvy; 11-16-2012 at 01:52 PM.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Great work on this UrbanGlowCam!! Not sure if you are still taking render requests - but the more I think about this the more I feel the app text titles are redundant and ruin the design asthetic. Something tells me this will soon go on iOS with Ive at the helm. Here are just a few examples of apps where it is absolutely unnecessary to have a text app title...Crackberry app, Facebook, twitter, Wikipedia, box, poynt, music, camera, pretty much any news or magazine app, App World, calendar, contacts, cineplex...all of these have either clearly distinctive logos that make it clear to the user what the app is, or already include the app name in their logo. In fact I'd suggest that webpage bookmarks are really the only icons that need a title. With this in mind what if RIM simply had developers either include their app name in their logo (which I believe looks better), or have the freedom to just use a logo if they feel that is sufficient (ie. Apps like Facebook, twitter, Crackberry). As for bookmarks, RIM can develop a logo design that has an area for the webpage name/descriptor). This would be a cleaner and more visually appealing app drawer- in my opinion. If any of this rings true to you it would be great if you were able to mock this up - using the types of logos that are already perfectly suited to this idea. No worries if you don't have time though - you've already done some great work here!!
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #100  

Quote Originally Posted by Hmm...Hungry View Post
    Great work on this UrbanGlowCam!! Not sure if you are still taking render requests - but the more I think about this the more I feel the app text titles are redundant and ruin the design asthetic..................... If any of this rings true to you it would be great if you were able to mock this up - using the types of logos that are already perfectly suited to this idea. No worries if you don't have time though - you've already done some great work here!!
    Here are two quick mockups without the text for your imagination to run wild with

RIM is listening - app grid icons have changed-notext_1.jpg
    RIM is listening - app grid icons have changed-notext_2.jpg
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast