Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree76Likes
    CrackBerry Abuser

Default Re: RIM is listening - app grid icons have changed

Quote Originally Posted by ewakil12 View Post
    I prefer the square icons
    You may prefer the square ones, but you probably don't "hate" the style of icons that is currently on the PlayBook. Whereas, a lot of people "hate" the square ones.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I actually don't like the PlayBook icons at all, the native RIM apps are great but the developers make their icons with different shapes so I really don't see the point of having an inconsistent homescreen with different shapes. That's the reason I prefer the square icons, because no matter which app I will download, they will have same aspect and they will not mess up the beauty of the OS.
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #53  

Quote Originally Posted by ewakil12 View Post
    I actually don't like the PlayBook icons at all, the native RIM apps are great but the developers make their icons with different shapes so I really don't see the point of having an inconsistent homescreen with different shapes. That's the reason I prefer the square icons, because no matter which app I will download, they will have same aspect and they will not mess up the beauty of the OS.
    Yeah, I guess it's a preference thing. I think you prefer the look of having the icon within a uniform container for every app. It definitely keeps things clean.

On the other hand, I like when each app has their own silhouette for the icon because it gives them a sense of individuality. It allows for more character. The downside is it's harder to keep it cohesive when you have some developers doing something too wacky. But keep in mind, there are other guidelines that can keep them looking uniform like what angle the light source hits, how to add drop shadows, etc. I'd still go for this route like Android and BBOS have been doing for years.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanGlowCam View Post
    Yeah, I guess it's a preference thing. I think you prefer the look of having the icon within a uniform container for every app. It definitely keeps things clean.

On the other hand, I like when each app has their own silhouette for the icon because it gives them a sense of individuality. It allows for more character. The downside is it's harder to keep it cohesive when you have some developers doing something too wacky. But keep in mind, there are other guidelines that can keep them looking uniform like what angle the light source hits, how to add drop shadows, etc. I'd still go for this route like Android and BBOS have been doing for years.
    Yeah I saw that too, so we just have to wait and see what RIM and TaT have to show us on BlackBerry 10.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    72 Global Posts

I sure hope they don't reduce the size of the app name under each icon. As someone with less than spectacular vision, doing so would make it much harder to read the names. Even the mockups that have been posted in the topic, which are all about 4 times bigger than the actual phone screen (on my 24" monitors), are already hard to read in many instances.

This is one thing I dislike about Android, all the icon app labels are tiny. I always found BlackBerry did a good job of keeping the icon labels at a readable size and I hope they continue to do so.
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #56  

Quote Originally Posted by peterallcdn View Post
    I sure hope they don't reduce the size of the app name under each icon. As someone with less than spectacular vision, doing so would make it much harder to read the names. Even the mockups that have been posted in the topic, which are all about 4 times bigger than the actual phone screen (on my 24" monitors), are already hard to read in many instances.

This is one thing I dislike about Android, all the icon app labels are tiny. I always found BlackBerry did a good job of keeping the icon labels at a readable size and I hope they continue to do so.
    Yeah, that's normal for the mockups to have been shown larger than the actual screen. The pixels are a lot more condensed on the actual device than your computer monitor so it shows larger on your pc. As I mentioned in one of my previous posts, I don't think I made the type the correct size. It will be more legible than what I've shown. Also note that the image was compressed and shrank a little when I uploaded them on the forum. Maybe I'll replace that last mockup with one using text that is the size of the original.
    CrackBerry User

I think the rectangles are meant to resemble minimized application 'cards', once opened they are the same size ratio just larger (the card screen that holds up to 8 cards). I think it's an intuitive design but the icons themselves are just ugly. This is a slightly different approach from iPhone icons, which are also restricted into boxes but these boxes do not represent anything (i.e. minimized applications) it just makes it clean to look at. The playbook approach does not use a border around the icons and this can make it look somewhat messy and the white text is not always ideal if the background is not forced to be plain black like the Android or Microsoft application drawer. Yes it has to look nice but ultimately the application drawer is meant to allow the user to quickly find the application they need to use and this is not purely aesthetic. What makes for the best usability when finding a program? probably clean design, different looking icons, bold clear text (easily achieved with white words on black background or if background is going to change then place a border around the lettering).

I have read the development site that states the changes but I am not sure that these minimized cards are going away, possibly just shrinking them down to allow for another row. I like the cards, I like the idea of adding another row of them, but yes they could use some new designs inside the boxes.
    UrbanGlowCam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RicZoh View Post
    This sounds like good news to me. Here is why: I feel that if RIM is focusing on a subtle change like the size of the app icons, then a lot of the big/major stuff must be done or nearing completion. When constructing a room, why would you be worried about installing carpet when the drywall hasn't been installed, mudded, sanded, and painted yet?
    Alternative hypothesis:
    They are rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    2943D3DC

Quote Originally Posted by r0v3rT3N View Post
    Your wish, is their command.
    LOL exactly
    CrackBerry Newbie

Those square/rectangle grid designs are hideous. Let Microsoft windows devices have that. It's too basic and uniform. Let's see something new RIM!!!!!
  11. aha
    CrackBerry Genius

Glad to see RIM is listening... Hopefully they release the new look out pretty quick, because the mock-up version seems to be worse than the original square ones--- and the square ones wasn't good neither of course.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by moloko velocet View Post
    Alternative hypothesis:
    They are rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.
    Alternative hypothesis:
    You are some sort of weird person who dislikes Blackberry phones, but spends their time commenting on Blackberry phones, on a BB phone site. And knows nothing about how products are developed, and shown or not shown in beta form.

Alternative hypothesis:
    You need a hobby/life?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,334 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BBOttawa View Post
    Alternative hypothesis:
    You are some sort of weird person who dislikes Blackberry phones, but spends their time commenting on Blackberry phones, on a BB phone site. And knows nothing about how products are developed, and shown or not shown in beta form.

Alternative hypothesis:
    You need a hobby/life?
    Don't be rude. Personal insults aren't required. Moloko's comment was a good one, in that he simply gave an alternate interpretation illustrating why such interpretations are folly. There is no reason to assume what the first poster said is true. IN FACT, if YOU know "how products are developed", as you implied in your post, you'd know that the first posters interpretation is ridiculous, and thus, you'd be in agreement with Moloko!

RicZoh: it may well be that the "big" stuff is done...but it's not implied from icon changes. I assure you that the artists working on the icons are not the people who were doing the heavy-duty coding, debugging, or testing.....err...i HOPE not! ;-)
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #64  

Quote Originally Posted by richardat View Post
    Don't be rude. Personal insults aren't required. Moloko's comment was a good one, in that he simply gave an alternate interpretation illustrating why such interpretations are folly. There is no reason to assume what the first poster said is true. IN FACT, if YOU know "how products are developed", as you implied in your post, you'd know that the first posters interpretation is ridiculous, and thus, you'd be in agreement with Moloko!

RicZoh: it may well be that the "big" stuff is done...but it's not implied from icon changes. I assure you that the artists working on the icons are not the people who were doing the heavy-duty coding, debugging, or testing.....err...i HOPE not! ;-)
    Excuse me? I have no problem that you called my interpretation ridiculous, but how can you call BBOttawa rude when you insulted an idea I had for no reason?

Also, I wasn't going to say anything, but if you look at ALL 22 of moloko velocet's posts, you kinda get the impression he prefers a certain other brand out of Cupertino while bashing everything related to RIM. It's clear why he posted here.
    CrackBerry Newbie

I read the forum posting on this and happy to see RIM is indeed evolving its design UI for the app grid. I much prefer the Playbook style to what had been shown with BB10. It did give me a thought though...it seems to me that it's the text app title that makes creating a sexy visual more difficult. The icons themselves can of course be visually great. What about RIM using some of the previous "toast" tech talked about where at a glance the app grid is purely icons but if you tilt the phone the icons adapt and text app names appear? That could offer another moment of magic as they say while giving a unique UI to the app drawer. And the reality is most of us would be fine understanding the app grid off icons anyways. Symbols like Facebook and browser and camera have become there own commonly understood "language". Just give people the option for more info if they so choose by tiltiing the phone.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,516 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by howarmat View Post
    so are they doing 5 rows instead of 4 now with the added space they gain back?
    Quote Originally Posted by GTiLeo View Post
    It's not much space
    lol I think it was a bit of a joke @ Apple's expense. Remember iPhone 5. "an extra row of icons!"

Proud Owner of a BlackBerry Q10

I agree. They're close to launch. I updated my OP to show the official link to the new guidelines.
    How do you define close? Next Wednesday? A month from now? 3 months from now? 5 months from now?

Regarding your linked guidelines for application icons, I am glad RIM is listening.

Hey RIM, listen up.
    From your application icon best practices:
    "Materials
    Limit the number of materials that you use. BlackBerry application icons draw from the following materials: soft plastic, paper, metal, and gloss."

Paper. Check. I know what that looks like.
    Metal. Sort of check. Metals come in many colours. Maybe they mean any metal colour.
    Soft plastic. That is a meaningless suggestion. What does "soft plastic" look like?
    Gloss. WTF? What material is "gloss"? Typo? Anything shiny? What does this mean?

Please correct these glaring errors.
    CrackBerry Addict

serioulsy I prefer Like Playbook Icons That One that RIM showed In De JAM os Awful looks Outdated and OLD LIKE playbook Looks Stunning Anf familiar tooo ..
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,104 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me

it would have been nice to render the two sets of icons on the same background
    just so in love with my berry
    SR: 10.2.1.2977

dumb phone->SonyEricsson P900->dumb phone->Storm 9530->Bold 9700->White Torch-2 9810->Grey Torch-2 9810->Black Z10 STL 100-1->Z30 STA 100-2->64GB PB bridged to Black Z3 STJ100-1
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #70  

Quote Originally Posted by Walcolm View Post
    it would have been nice to render the two sets of icons on the same background
    I agree. So I made them both the same.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    7,469 Global Posts

Excuse me? I have no problem that you called my interpretation ridiculous, but how can you call BBOttawa rude when you insulted an idea I had for no reason?

Also, I wasn't going to say anything, but if you look at ALL 22 of moloko velocet's posts, you kinda get the impression he prefers a certain other brand out of Cupertino while bashing everything related to RIM. It's clear why he posted here.
    I think if you look at the person you are quoting you'll find a common theme of negativity toward RIM. There are unfortunately a lot of posters here now who seem to be here for the sole purpose of bashing RIM daily, and scouring the net for negative stories or analysis and posting. Sad that they have so much time on their hands. But I guess since they have nothing better to do, a device and a company that's about getting stuff done is a threat to their way of life. Productivity is evil!
    CrackBerry Addict

Come on RIM, make BB stand for Beautifully Bold!
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by howarmat View Post
    so are they doing 5 rows instead of 4 now with the added space they gain back?
    Assuming you are not just mocking the ip5, hopefully not, unless they can do that without it being as horribly cluttered as a full screen of icons is right now.

Currently the boxy icons take up far to much space per line to the detriment of usability e.g. a lack of a vertical gap between icons means that it is harder than it needs to be to move icons around as half the time it would try to drop the icon you were moving onto another one rather than into the tiny gap between and that would cause it to try to create a folder instead of just moving the icon.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by DaedalusIcarusHelios View Post
    I like the fact that the icons don't need to be square anymore, but I'm not sure I like the icons being smaller. What does it actually bring, other than potentially another row or column?
    Rather than allowing another column, it gives more room between the icons and thus makes it a lot easier to move icons around without them trying to create a folder due to proximity to the one next to where you moved it.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I prefer the blocky ones, though they should be smaller, and have some sort of pizzazz added to them...not sure what that would be, but we'll know it when we see it I'm sure, lol.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast