Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Homo Erectus
  • 1 Post By app_Developer
  • 3 Post By kvndoom
  • 2 Post By app_Developer
  • 1 Post By sleepngbear
    Banned

Global Posts
    527 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default RIM has seeded over 5,000 BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha devices to developers

RIM has seeded over 5,000 BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha devices to developers

RIM has seeded over 5,000 BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha devices to developers | MobileSyrup.com
    BB10FTW likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

This is actually very cool. Apple and Google have never given us free hardware to develop on, and they certainly haven't paid for our data plan while we develop and test!

As someone said in another thread, you gotta give RIM for trying to get the developer part of the equation in place.
    BB10FTW likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

That is quite a drive tbh.
    Technological progress is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.
    - Albert Einstein
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    ??

Definitely the workings of a company that is planning to roll over and die any day now.
    "You can pry my 9900 from my BOLD, dead hands..."
    Yet another disappointed Playbook owner.
    kbz1960, hpjrt and BB10FTW like this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Make it 5,001 and mail me one
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by app_Developer View Post
    This is actually very cool. Apple and Google have never given us free hardware to develop on, and they certainly haven't paid for our data plan while we develop and test!

As someone said in another thread, you gotta give RIM for trying to get the developer part of the equation in place.

i think that might of been me? But either way I love the way RIM is approaching this transition. If you read "The Verge" article of the downfall of WebOs. It is the complete opposite of what HP tried to do.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,415 Global Posts

That's a heck of a lot of phones put out there! It's actually somewhat surprising to me that with all the doom in the media that's, reported RIM is still able to pull in all these revs. Amazing really! Can't wait for BBX!
    CrackBerry User

I thought google used to give away hardware at their big launches, maybe not as many as RIM Have, or have they stopped doing that now?
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by mad.dog99 View Post
    I thought google used to give away hardware at their big launches, maybe not as many as RIM Have, or have they stopped doing that now?
    They give hardware at IO, that's true. But RIM didn't charge us for the conference. They gave away those 100% discount codes pretty liberally.

Now that I think about it, Palm gave us free hardware, too.

Nevertheless, I'm still very happy with our RIM is dealing with the community now versus how they used to be.
    Mod Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    10,168 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often

They give hardware at IO, that's true. But RIM didn't charge us for the conference. They gave away those 100% discount codes pretty liberally.

Nevertheless, I'm still very happy with our RIM is dealing with the community now versus how they used to be.
    You mean actually having an open dialogue rather than dictating (or worse being silent) everything?

This I believe is what matters most, at least as far as building up the ecosystem goes. Devs need to be treated like the integral pieces to the puzzle that they are, an aspect that RIM has ignored in the past. This effort that they are making now should pay big dividends when BB10 does finally launch.
    Ed

Ursus moderatus levisomnus.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    CrackBerry User

This'll help with getting the smaller/indie developers, but RIM really needs to go for the larger developers too! BB10 launch really needs to have most of the big third party apps to get some recognition in the marketplace. RIM can't afford for BB10 to fail.
    Thanked by:
    AfroZepher (06-23-2012) 
    Between Realities

Global Posts
    12,824 Global Posts

Good move. Treat the developers like gold. I like it.

Google still gives away free hardware if you pay for the conferences and fly out west. Not cheap.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by trelawrence View Post
    Good move. Treat the developers like gold. I like it.

Google still gives away free hardware if you pay for the conferences and fly out west. Not cheap.
    Yes. And if you really want to develop quality software for Android, you need at least a half dozen different devices or more to deal with at least some of the different options your users will have. Definitely not cheap.
    CrackBerry Abuser

MS had a program for giving out devices to existing developers too. Not sure if that is still around.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by Yaceka View Post
    This'll help with getting the smaller/indie developers, but RIM really needs to go for the larger developers too! BB10 launch really needs to have most of the big third party apps to get some recognition in the marketplace. RIM can't afford for BB10 to fail.
    100% correct! This will be meaningless if it doesn't have the top 25/50 apps that people want.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    PIN
    328008E2

How can i become a developer?
    Was always interested in mobile design anyway?

Tips? Hints? Anyone?

Sent from my BlackBerry 8530 using Tapatalk
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    69,920 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bigmelwalter View Post
    How can i become a developer?
    Was always interested in mobile design anyway?

Tips? Hints? Anyone?

The developer forum should make a good start.
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    the 50K CrackBerry challenge
    Posted from my phone or pc or tablet that are no better than anyone else's
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    PIN
    328008E2

Quote Originally Posted by kbz1960 View Post
    The developer forum should make a good start.

Hmm Thanks.