Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,013 Global Posts
    PIN
    I have three
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default RIM to give carriers devices to test next week

WSJ reporter Will Connors reports that RIM will give carriers devices to test next week that are complete "or nearly so". This is great news. CEO also confirms Q 13 launch

Great news!

Will Connors‏@wconnors

There will be six @BlackBerry models on #RIM's new OS. They roll out first 2 on road show w/ carriers next week. RIM's First Test: A Preview With Carriers - WSJ.com $RIMM

Link above
    Thanked by 5:
    00stryder (08-14-2012),  drjay868 (08-15-2012),  hornlovah (08-14-2012),  nnomad (08-14-2012),  thedark722 (08-15-2012) 
    sk8er_tor and thedark722 like this.
    CrackBerry User

Thanks for the post. As I look around at the other articles headlined on that page I can't help but wonder just how much money Apple pays Rupert Murdock for all the positive spin.

6 models?

I'm guessing the only difference in them is the internal memory size?

A 32, 64 and 128 qwerty and touchscreen, perhaps?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Can someone post the article, not a subscriber. Thanks!
    drjay868 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    17,128 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by morlock_man View Post
    6 models?

I'm guessing the only difference in them is the internal memory size?

A 32, 64 and 128 qwerty and touchscreen, perhaps?
    Could be HSPA/LTE variants also.
    Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    11,443 Global Posts

RIM's First Test: A Preview With Carriers

Research In Motion will start delivering nearly complete versions of its new smartphones to carriers next week—the start of a crucial effort to convince consumers and carriers alike that the BlackBerry can compete with the iPhone and Android devices.

NEW YORK—Research In Motion Ltd. will start delivering nearly complete versions of its new smartphones to carriers next week—the start of a crucial effort to convince consumers and carriers alike that the BlackBerry can compete with the iPhone and Android devices.

RIM Chief Executive Thorsten Heins, in a briefing here with The Wall Street Journal, said the company will show two "beta" versions of its new phones to carriers during the five-week roadshow. The meetings will test RIM's credibility as it tries to regain its footing in the global smartphone market.

Apple Inc.'s iPhone and phones running off Google Inc.'s Android operating system have been gobbling up market share, largely at the expense of one-time leaders RIM and Nokia Corp.

Mr. Heins said RIM will be ramping up production of the test devices over the next few months, and he stood by RIM's early 2013 rollout date for the finished product.

Mr. Heins, who took the top job in January with a promise to focus on execution after several product-rollout delays, had originally said the phones would be ready this year. But in June he pushed back the release to the first quarter of next year after the software integration took longer than expected.

The physical shape and feel of the new phones is finished and the software nearly complete, Mr. Heins said.

"We're near the finishing line," he said.

Mr. Heins showed off the early versions of the new phones to a number of media outlets this week, as analysts at research firm Gartner circulated data showing RIM's world-wide market share among smartphones fell again in the second quarter, to 5.2% from 11.7% a year earlier.

RIM will initially launch two phones, both powered by a new operating system called BlackBerry 10. One device will be an all touch-screen phone similar in design to the iPhone. The other will have both a physical keyboard—a favorite feature for many die-hard BlackBerry users—and a touch screen.

Mr. Heins said there will eventually be six phones—three that are all-touch screen and three with physical keyboards.

RIM has staked its future on the new phones and the BB10 operating system, which will also power its poor-selling PlayBook tablet.

The success of the phones hinges in part on the reception they get from carriers like AT&T Inc. and Verizon Wireless. Carriers can choose to market the new phones heavily if they think they will be a hit, or they can relegate them to the back of the store.

One carrier executive who has seen presentations of recent versions of the phone said he thinks it is a marked improvement over its existing devices and potentially gets the company more competitive with Android. The executive said he is fairly confident that RIM will be able to meet the first-quarter deadline with some carriers given the focus the company has given to the new devices.

Wireless carriers also require that new devices pass various tests to make sure they operate on a carrier's network and meet certain performance requirements for battery life, call quality and Web browsing and many other factors. On average it takes about four to eight months for a carrier to test a beta version of a phone, said a person familiar with the process. One additional challenge for RIM will be that its new smartphones have a new operating system and design, which typically requires additional checking and time for testing.

The carriers want RIM to succeed to help provide a counterweight to Apple and Google. However, even heavy promotion doesn't guarantee success with customers. Nokia's new Lumia smartphones built on the new Windows operating system have received positive reviews and strong marketing support with heavy discounts, but sales have been disappointingly weak.

Mr. Heins said he expects to have widespread carrier support for the BlackBerry 10 rollout. "The carriers want us to keep that installed base [of BlackBerry users]," he said.

"We value our relationship with RIM and look forward to working with them on existing and new products," said Mark Siegel, AT&T spokesman. He declined to comment on specific product plans.

Mr. Heins also gave some new details about the BB10 phones' features. The phones will have replaceable batteries, Mr. Heins said, a decision made to appeal to heavy smartphone users who frequently run out of battery time and don't want to carry chargers around.

RIM shares have fallen nearly 70% in the past 12 months. But the sell-off has abated recently, with shares rising almost 13% since the end of July. Some big-name investors have bought into the company, including Canadian value investor Prem Watsa, who in late July doubled his stake in the company to just under 10%. (RIM shares fell 6.3% to $7.56 on Tuesday as trading in RIM remains volatile.)

On Monday, Franklin Mutual Advisers disclosed it held 13.2 million RIM shares, or a 2.5% stake, at the end of June. It accumulated most of the holding in the second quarter, and now constitutes RIM's fifth-largest shareholder, according to FactSet. A Franklin spokeswoman couldn't comment on the specific holding.

Ben Dummett in Toronto, and Anton Troianovski and Spencer Ante in New York contributed to this article

RIM's First Test: A Preview With Carriers - WSJ.com
    Answers are easy. It's asking the right questions which is hard. - The Doctor

[ Mobile Nations Sites: Android, iOS, Windows Phone, BlackBerry, Connectedly]
    Thanked by 15:
    + Show/Hide list of the thanked
    00stryder (08-14-2012),  9of13 (08-15-2012),  bigbmc26 (08-15-2012),  bungaboy (08-15-2012),  crazeee4u (08-14-2012),  drjay868 (08-15-2012),  info600 (08-14-2012),  j21jam6 (08-14-2012),  Knightcrawler (08-15-2012),  madman0141 (08-15-2012),  nnomad (08-14-2012),  quik4life (08-14-2012),  robtanz (08-14-2012),  SAM18 (08-14-2012),  kolok (08-14-2012) 
    9of13, info600, j21jam6 and 2 others like this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Replaceable batteries = iDrool
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hmmm...

Here's to hoping that the leak machine will be in full force!
    BlackBerry Z30 running BB10.3
    BrizzadMan likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

This will make me drop my iPhone in a heartbeat. Its about time that RIM finally got its act together. Lets hope the stock goes ballistic as well. Ive taken a beating on that pick
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    2B1BC93C

Quote Originally Posted by nnomad View Post
    Replaceable batteries = iDrool
    Thank God for that. Now all I want to hear is they also have MicroSD card slots!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    305 Global Posts
    PIN
    33211bc6

Removable batteries feel like having power insurance. Thank you Thorsten. I can not wait to see the hardware.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    2bb37f14

I'm so ready for BlackBerry 10. I feel like RIM has promised that they're baking us cookies for the last few months, then said the cookies would have to be baked even longer, and now finally, chef Thorsten has tasted a cookie and said the batch is almost ready for all of us to eat!
    Sean

Twitter: @SeanKelleher
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    146 Global Posts

Looking forward to a sneak-peek of the final hardware as well as the feedback from those lucky enough to to actually use the device. It won't be long.
    Focus Your Mind!

Global Posts
    18,730 Global Posts

I knew it! I knew it! I knew it! Sprint probably won't be seeing this device until probably 2014.
    Why is it that when your contract commitment is up, the phone you always wanted is now old and the phone you now want won't be out until the next quarter? - Checkout Planet Loser on Channel C003DAB77

Curve 8330 4.5.0.131 -> Bold 9650 6.0.0.706 --> Qued 10 - Plus not one but two totally awesome (albeit extinct) kickin' Playbooks
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    704 Global Posts

Removable batteries ftw. I wonder what the battery life is.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    20EB1810

The question now is how long does it take to go from 'the software is nearly ready' and indeed is ready enough to be shown to carriers to us getting new devices ?

I mean, in the past didn't carrier certification mean that a device would hit in about 3 months time ?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,283 Global Posts

I knew it would happen. God damn may sayers thinking the release would be january and that's when carriers would do testing when Thor stated they would be ready to be released for sale. Eff you haters .
    Thanked by:
    lorax1284 (08-15-2012) 
    bungaboy likes this.
    CrackBerry User

I think a Feb or March release is more likely. If carriers need 4 months to approve a phone after testing (according to the article, it could be up to 8 months seeing as how this is a new OS), just being conservative means we're looking at Q1 but not Jan 2013. I pray I'm wrong because I can't wait to get this phone.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,044 Global Posts

The next few months is the home stretch. I'm hoping Sprint gets to check these out and jumps on board for the Q1 release during this time!
    Many thanks, downloads and dollars to all the developers out there!!!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,450 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by louzer View Post
    I knew it! I knew it! I knew it! Sprint probably won't be seeing this device until probably 2014.
    probably because they can't afford to sell anything but iPhones after the HUGE price they paid to get the iPhone

Proud Owner of a BlackBerry Q10

CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    333BF5D4

I've had Sprint for 5 years and will drop them like a hot rock if they don't have my BB10!
    BB then, now, forever...yeah, I said it.
    louzer, BB_Bmore and bungaboy like this.

Global Posts
    7,214 Global Posts

That would be Sprint's decision. They have to sell as many iPhones as possible to fulfill their contract with Apple so they can lose tons of money on the subsidy and maybe gain a couple million subs if they are lucky. I ditched them at my last upgrade because I wasn't going to pay them the $10 times 4 more to use a blackberry that only runs on the same CDMA network I had used for years, and they had no clear strategy for the future,
    louzer likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    630 Global Posts

I wonder if there is any way to have a battery change feature.. Ie some power gets stored somewhere in the phone, just enough for it to work on a very low energy setting once selected, so you can quickly swap your battery without the reboot
  24. cgk
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    7,828 Global Posts

We know that the touchscreen device is no different in form from the dev alpha, so the real question is - what's the keyboard version look like? All things D says it looks similar to a current bold but how similar?

Maybe, just maybe, certain people will stop calling it vaporware now.
    Ed

Ursus moderatus levisomnus.
    Thanked by 4:
    bungaboy (08-15-2012),  Cesare21 (08-15-2012),  lorax1284 (08-15-2012),  louzer (08-15-2012) 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast