• 2 Post By Thunderbuck
  • 1 Post By D_shak
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,007 Global Posts
    PIN
    I have three
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default RIM Delayed back in 2011 for a reason.

I stated this in another thread today and then I saw this tweet by Alex Kinsella

Alex Kinsella‏@alexkinsella

RIM's BlackBerry 10 Distribution Strategy Looks Very Smart by
    Retweet
    Link:
    ReadWrite – RIM's BlackBerry 10 Distribution Strategy Looks Very Smart

For those of you that dont want to click through:

We might have to start giving Research In Motion some credit. It may have taken the company way too long to deliver on its promised BlackBerry 10 smartphones but now that they are almost here, boy, is RIM doing it right.

At the Consumer Electronics Show this week, three executives from top cellular providers in the United States said they would carry RIM’s new BlackBerry 10 devices. That includes the big two, Verizon and AT&T, as well as fourth place T-Mobile. No word on if Sprint will carry the new BlackBerry 10 devices, but it would be surprising if the third biggest carrier in the U.S. was shut out on one of the biggest device releases of 2013.

We have known for a while that RIM has been testing BB10 with a variety of carriers worldwide. RIM’s CMO Frank Boulben told Fierce Wireless this week that 150 carriers worldwide are testing BB10 devices and that the company is not tied into exclusivity agreements with any carrier. Boulben also said that RIM would release at least six BB10 devices this year across the globe at a variety of price points.

On the other side of the supply chain, RIM has also worked hard with developer partners to make sure that a vibrant app ecosystem will exist for BB10 when it is officially announced on Jan. 30. Nearly 70,000 BB10 apps will reportedly be in the BlackBerry World app store when the device hits store shelves.

Aiming For The Target

The Technorati taunted and ridiculed RIM for the delays in releasing BB10 to the world. The release has been pushed back multiple times and RIM lost out on the 2012 holiday shopping season, which happened to be the most lucrative for smartphone manufacturers in history. That hurts, no doubt about it. But, we are starting to see the benefits of waiting. RIM has loaded its shotgun and plans to take its shot at a time when it should see its fullest effect.

The shotgun metaphor is apt. RIM has certainly studied the behaviors of its top competitors and realized what works and what does not. As such, the RIM distribution strategy looks a lot more like Apple and Samsung’s than that of Nokia or HTC.

In particular, Samsung has gained massive global dominance in part through its “spray and pray” approach to smartphone distribution. Samsung releases every one of its major smartphones to all four major U.S. carriers and similar carriers around the world. That practice started with the original Samsung Galaxy S and has worked well for successive iterations of its flagship smartphones, including the “phablet” Galaxy Note. The shotgun approach has been very successful for Samsung and, to a certain extent, Apple as well.

On the other hand, exclusivity agreements have been the bane of Nokia and HTC. Two very good phones, the Lumia 920 and the HTC One X, have been caught up in exclusivity agreements with AT&T in the U.S. and have suffered because of it. To get similar versions of those devices on other carriers, the manufacturers have had to come out completely new devices. For instance, the equivalent of the HTC One X on Sprint is the EVO 4G LTE. The One X never made it to Verizon, which went without a flagship HTC device for most of 2012 until the Droid DNA was released last November. Unique devices are by no means a bad thing, but exclusivity has slowed HTC and Nokia down and caused the manufacturers to lose ground to the faster moving, better distributed iPhones and Galaxies of the world.

A sure death for the BlackBerry 10 would have been to come out with one or two devices and tie them directly to one carrier, like Nokia did with the Lumia 900 and 920 on AT&T. With the future of Research In Motion resting on the success of BB10, that is not a game that RIM can afford to play.

In The Hands Of The Consumer

Only one factor really threatens to derail BlackBerry 10 at this point. Research In Motion has all its ducks lined up ready to knock them down one by one. The goals have been met. But, there is no accounting for the taste of the consumer.

"We're hopeful it's going to be a good device," said Lowell McAdam, CEO Verizon Communications, according to Reuters.

That is the trick. RIM can do all it wants with carrier testing, robust and diverse distribution and application ecosystems that it wants. But, if BlackBerry 10 is not any good, or if consumers perceive it to not be any good, then all of the company’s carefully laid plans will go for naught.
    Thanked by 2:
    Superfly_FR (01-11-2013),  switcharoo (01-11-2013) 
    bahandi, GTiLeo, robkd and 3 others like this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,349 Global Posts
    PIN
    @getdjmac

So far every indication is that this OS is good if not great to fantastic so that looks like another sitting duck.

Global Posts
    5,283 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6927F7

If I felt like it, I could point back to many, many posts I made last year, dating from when they pushed back to January.

I continue to believe there were sound reasons for pushing back, and none of them were really "technical" in the sense that I don't think they ran into any showstoppers. That said, I have no doubt that the project benefitted technically from having the additional time.

Delaying the launch to this month is one of those things where RIM took a short-term hit for the sake of a longer-term strategy.

1. First and foremost, last fall was an unusually MASSIVE quarter for new introductions. The iPhone 5 was expected, sure, but we also had WP8, Surface, the Wii U, a new version of Windows, as well as the usual gang of Android devices. BB10 stood the risk of getting lost in the crowd in a normal year, but last fall I think they would have really struggled to get much press attention had they launched in October.
    2. I figure that "loyalty customers" (both consumer AND enterprise) will account for maybe 2-3 million in early sales. In Feb-March, that looks much more impressive than it does Oct.-Nov. Just sayin'
    3. "The carriers wanted it" was one of the reasons Heins gave when he was pressed on this, and there could well be truth to that. Especially since the carriers were kind of bound by commitments to push WP and iOS for the holidays. This kept them from the potentially embarassing situation of pitting three high-profile launches against each other.
    travaz, info600 and Vorkosigan like this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbuck View Post
    First and foremost, last fall was an unusually MASSIVE quarter for new introductions. The iPhone 5 was expected, sure, but we also had WP8, Surface, the Wii U, a new version of Windows, as well as the usual gang of Android devices. BB10 stood the risk of getting lost in the crowd in a normal year, but last fall I think they would have really struggled to get much press attention had they launched in October.
    I agree with all your points, but especially this one. Consider the amount of negativity in the media towards RIM just a few months ago. How would they have reacted if BB10 were released, unpolished, glitchy and with fewer apps? Fast forward to the present, and the media is much more positive towards RIM, even after missing the holiday season, and more and more people seem to be excited about BB10. Assuming the launch goes smoothly, I think it would have ended up being a night and day difference of public perception compared to before.
    Blatant placeholder signature.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    PIN
    27F47065

The delay has also given that much more time for seeding into the tech blogger hands, and much less distraction from competing devices.
    Q 10 for the win!
    (WHITE Z 10, on 10.2.1.537 and Nexus 4 sold)
    pebble watch
    Playbook 64 gb wifi
    Galaxy tab P 1000 with cyanagen 9

Global Posts
    9,326 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey, what did you expect ?

Delaying the launch to this month is one of those things where RIM took a short-term hit for the sake of a longer-term strategy.

1. First and foremost, last fall was an unusually MASSIVE quarter for new introductions. The iPhone 5 was expected, sure, but we also had WP8, Surface, the Wii U, a new version of Windows, as well as the usual gang of Android devices. BB10 stood the risk of getting lost in the crowd in a normal year, but last fall I think they would have really struggled to get much press attention had they launched in October.
    2. I figure that "loyalty customers" (both consumer AND enterprise) will account for maybe 2-3 million in early sales. In Feb-March, that looks much more impressive than it does Oct.-Nov. Just sayin'
    3. "The carriers wanted it" was one of the reasons Heins gave when he was pressed on this, and there could well be truth to that. Especially since the carriers were kind of bound by commitments to push WP and iOS for the holidays. This kept them from the potentially embarassing situation of pitting three high-profile launches against each other.
    The "plumbing" (meaning the middle-end adaptations needed to ensure cooperative model between BB10 and QNX devices plus BIS/BBID adaptations) wasn't ready. Also the OS was clearly not polished enough; they are still polishing it right now (I believe camera app is a good example).
    Add your valuable arguments and IMHO, you have the story. When making the "pro and cons" decision to stick to the schedule or to delay, I believe all of this has been mixed to decide. I I believe all the flags were red and they took the tough but right decision.
    Join my BBM Channel : C00035FA6
    "I speak English like a Spanish Cow"
    I'm a StockBerrian, proudly holding 50 150 250 400 550 1000 BlackBerry shares
    Vorkosigan likes this.

Global Posts
    5,283 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6927F7

Quote Originally Posted by Superfly_FR View Post
    The "plumbing" (meaning the middle-end adaptations needed to ensure cooperative model between BB10 and QNX devices plus BIS/BBID adaptations) wasn't ready. Also the OS was clearly not polished enough; they are still polishing it right now (I believe camera app is a good example).
    Add your valuable arguments and IMHO, you have the story. When making the "pro and cons" decision to stick to the schedule or to delay, I believe all of this has been mixed to decide. I I believe all the flags were red and they took the tough but right decision.
    Oh, for sure there's been more time for polish, no question. And while sometimes it's good to have the pressure of a deadline, taking that whole year in 2012 gave them time to get out of panic mode and back to work.

If anyone doubts RIM's confidence in this launch, think back to how differently they did things with the Playbook. They previewed at CES, and then rushed it to market because they were panicked over the iPad 2. This year? No preview at CES, and every indication that they've taken all the time they needed to get it right.

I think this is going to be a very, very different launch.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts

A lot of the delays and missteps were from the previous CEO's. I think that TH made the right decisions and is continuing to do so by looking at the situation and re-aligning things as he did. So far he has kept to his schedules and that change in dependability will do a lot for the BlackBerry image. I've also seen and heard from people a lot of positive feedback about BB10 and this is mostly from people that I wouldn't have expected it from.
    Superfly_FR likes this.

Global Posts
    9,326 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey, what did you expect ?

I think this is going to be a very, very different launch.
    It IS already. The whole thing started at CES with private demos ... read BGR, gizmodo, Cnet ... they're literally begging for BB10 !
    Join my BBM Channel : C00035FA6
    "I speak English like a Spanish Cow"
    I'm a StockBerrian, proudly holding 50 150 250 400 550 1000 BlackBerry shares
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Superfly_FR View Post
    It IS already. The whole thing started at CES with private demos ... read BGR, gizmodo, Cnet ... they're literally begging for BB10 !
    Which is what I like to hear Mon Ami. Along with Engadget, everyone seems to be completely Infatuated with BB10. I'm just hoping that the carrier I'm on here in the States doesn't drag their feet.