Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Thumbs up RIM buys Irish company for $100 million

So here is some news from RIM

irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2011/1007/1224305388261.html]RIM buys NewBay in $100m deal - The Irish Times - Fri, Oct 07, 2011

Not bad for a company which is supposed to be dead in a few months!!

Here is some interesting follow up to some of my earlier posts on why online media is now being controlled by the fan boys (I mean the fruity variety

online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111904060604576574501193441130.html?K EYWORDS=Blackberry#articleTabs%3Dcomments]RIM Shares Sink on Weak Results - WSJ.com
    - Most of the comments here as can be seen are just blind RIM trolls from people who never have used a BB before

intomobile.com/2011/10/06/samsung-tops-mobile-phone-market-share-while-rim-continues-decline/]U.S. market share stats are in: Google's future bright, RIM's less so
    - Read about the author - a self confessed Apple fanboy - speaks volumes for media that are supposed to be unbiased and neutral

I am not sure what RIM's strategy is, but the onslaught from the tech blogs and American media continues - and from the people who give (in most cases) ridiculous comments.

Here is something I suggest,

Crackberry claims to have some 3 million members, even if 1% of us get active on blog sites every month, that is 30,000 genuine comments getting into mainstream online media every month. We all love crackberry, but not everybody reads crackberry!

Get online, Get active!

And ofcourse, Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    Optional, but not needed.

I'm always reading crackberry! I read it more than lifehacker or gizmodo! Lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,048 Global Posts

This Irish company, Newbay, has a product that they call Lifecache. In their site they seem to position it as a competitor to Dropbox, iCloud, Box. This is interesting. A while back there was rumours that RIM was going to buy Dropbox. Guess they found an alternative.

Global Posts
    6,981 Global Posts

I would like to see more fruits from the previous acquisitions. Right now all we have gotten is a scrapbook app from TAT and the four Playbook Games from the Polar company. RIM how about putting that Dash Navigation purchase a few years to use and give us turn-by-turn nav on the Playbook.
    Thanked by:
    Rello (10-07-2011) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,978 Global Posts
    PIN
    --- Inconceivable!!!

Now when you buy a PlayBook, you get a free case of Guinness Pub Draught cans!!!!!!
    K Bear and Buzz_Dengue like this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,465 Global Posts
    PIN
    Proud contributer to The Human Fund

Maybe they're hoping they'd get a leprechaun out of the deal..and buy themselves a little Luck 'o the Irish
    "Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all." -Sam Ewing
    Rollin' on Twitter

Global Posts
    5,186 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me if you want/need it.
    Love, Death
    Proud member of OpenSourceBB.com
    If I helped you or made you smile, Click the Thanks or Like button! Or both!
    Need a DropBox? 2GB is free! http://db.tt/vTAa8cw
    Click here to give me an Internet!
    Thanked by:
    Buzz_Dengue (10-07-2011) 

Global Posts
    31,007 Global Posts
    PIN
    In Semi-retirement

Quote Originally Posted by Deathcommand View Post
    Now that's a hoot!

Well, I hope they reveal the master plan before everyone falls asleep or goes home.

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    PIN
    ATA

Some points of view from NewBay...

Twitter
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,272 Global Posts
    PIN
    G-14 classified / PM me

OMG, now that's funny!
    I'm hoping all these businesses they're acquiring will result in an awesome product. I'm hoping for the best.

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    224 Global Posts

looks like early trading suggests investors' don't like the news.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

princesultan: so is Apple, down by 0.3%... common! dont be do desperate
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    224 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by graxyq View Post
    princesultan: so is Apple, down by 0.3%... common! dont be do desperate
    ummm ok, lol.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Brings the jobs to Ireland , RIMM. We need them really really bad.

Blackberry is getting more and more popular here. Even more now with this purchase.

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    321 Global Posts

Rumors of being bought by Vodafone and now they're absorbing NewBay? The 1.8% drop today seems somewhat justified...
    javieraua likes this.
    CrackBerry Master

RIMM willnot be acquired. Can we move on now? They are committed to making it on their own.

CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by lnichols View Post
    I would like to see more fruits from the previous acquisitions. Right now all we have gotten is a scrapbook app from TAT and the four Playbook Games from the Polar company. RIM how about putting that Dash Navigation purchase a few years to use and give us turn-by-turn nav on the Playbook.
    These are acquisitions for the future... My thinking is that products from these companies will show up in the QNX phones so they can make a real impact on the market.

Global Posts
    9,524 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sf18443 View Post
    RIMM willnot be acquired. Can we move on now? They are committed to making it on their own.

or failing on their own.
    Dave - Moto Bionic
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,048 Global Posts
    Thanked by:
    recompile (10-07-2011) 
    FoxxBerry likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Please feel free to ask :)

THANK YOU

ive been saying this for so long so its nice to see someone else felt the same way. i was always excited after RIM bought Dash because i just knew RIM was getting turn by turn capabilities of some sort yet all theplaybook launched with was a subpar bing maps app. WTH?!?!

They bought this company over 2 years ago so if by the time the qnx handhelds launch, if we still dont have turn by turn navigation then i will totally be lost as to why they ever bought this company.

All the pieces of the puzzle need to come together soon.
    QNX and LTE, hand me a pen and let's do this.
    **Taken from The Engine**

Yes I am black...and yes I LOVE grape Kool Aid. I can't blame u for judging me

- Durrell
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    83 Global Posts

No acquisition, No Superphone talks are going to help RIM. They have to deliver it with OS 2.0. I love BB, but I would switch my loyalty if they cannot deliver what they said, not because I don't like the products but because I don't like LIARS!!!!!
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary numbers and those who don't !!
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    2,063 Global Posts

They never said that they are buying Dash Navigation to make a turn-by-turn navigation software. The Dash team went on to make "Blackberry Traffic".

BlackBerry Traffic Navigation App Updated with Refreshed UI
    CrackBerry Abuser

Great news, every new adquisition is very welcomed, but the main thing RIM has to do very soon, is to show us some results product of all the adquisitions made during the course of the year. If you need more apps, you have to buy developers, and now... Results please.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    2,063 Global Posts

I think that we'll see this acquisition's product fairly quickly integrated into RIM's devices because they already offered white label solutions.
    CrackBerry User

Going forward, RIM needs to create a simple, seamless ecosystem that provides: messaging, movies/video, music, apps and cloud services. It would seems to me that Newbay would cover the cloud services aspect.
    Last edited by BBMIZKING; 10-07-2011 at 02:36 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast