Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 76
Like Tree19Likes
  1. Brianflys's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    757 Posts
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default RIM to advertise - What features would you promote?

    How about some positive direction to the forum. Trolls are excluded and will be flagged for termination by other posters who are sick of the negative baiting.

    RIM says they are going to ramp up advertising. What devices and what features should they promote? Who should be shown in the ads, celebrities or real people, or a mix? Think back to why you bought your most recent BB or PlayBook. Unless you are independently wealthy, you had to consider value, so what drove you again to RIM.

    --New BB7 phones have speed, excellent browsing, security (get security and celebrity endorsements), and excellent call quality. Unlimited battery life (you can change out battery! unlike other devices.)
    --BB7 phones also have mobile hotspot and NFC, No cables and no lost or stolen credit cards
    --Proprietary BBM and BES and BIS. Still industry leading: How do you get buyers to care about these solutions
    --Hit apps head-on. Show tha apps that real people use, not just download once and then ignore.
    --PlayBook: show the coming features of PB2. Build the demand and say the hardware is available now.
    --Package deals for BB and PB. Full solution for mobile work and entertainment.

    Ok, what are your ideas?
  2. Fat Bastage's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    133 Posts
    #2  

    Default

    I think they should resurrect this one...

  3. 1812dave's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    7,219 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,524 Global Posts
    #3  

    Default

    there are many apps available for iOS/Android that are super popular yet missing from BB. To name just a few:

    Angry Birds, Scrabble, netflix, HBO go, Words for friends...the list is almost endless. I don't know how BB can tout apps as a positive feature of BB phones. Oh, and let's not forget Android has FREE turn by turn (google Navigation)

    The positives:

    1. call quality

    2. build quality

    3. BBM (but with whatsapp, Google Talk and all the video apps I'm not sure how compelling BBM is in today's world).
    Last edited by dave1812; 12-18-2011 at 12:04 PM.
    Dave - Moto Bionic
  4. spike12's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    521 Posts
    Global Posts
    522 Global Posts
    #4  

    Default

    Does anyone in NA remember the old BB ads that had celebrities talking about the use of their blackberries? They had Shawn White as well as other famous people speaking on some of the ways they use their phone.. I think it would be a good way to advertise some of the points the OP mentioned above.
  5. 1812dave's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    7,219 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,524 Global Posts
    #5  

    Default

    If I were RIM, I'd contact Asus to find out who did the AWESOME web ad for the Transformer Prime. that is an amazingly well-done ad on the Asus site, for the upcoming Prime.
    Dave - Moto Bionic
  6. #6  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brianflys View Post
    How about some positive direction to the forum. Trolls are excluded and will be flagged for termination by other posters who are sick of the negative baiting.

    RIM says they are going to ramp up advertising. What devices and what features should they promote? Who should be shown in the ads, celebrities or real people, or a mix? Think back to why you bought your most recent BB or PlayBook. Unless you are independently wealthy, you had to consider value, so what drove you again to RIM.

    ...

    Ok, what are your ideas?

    Nice post.

    All of the features you noted, plus bridging with the PlayBook, which in my opinion is the most underrated feature of both BB's and PB's. They also made a big deal about the introduction of video chatting on the PB but never took it anywhere; that's something else that can be emphasized to generate interest.

    But the trick will be not only what they advertise, but how they present it. What they did with the PlayBook is a good example of what not to do. What at&t did with the latest Torch commercials is what they need to do more of. They need advertising that will help break the brand out of the image of the stodgy corporate communications device. That won't be easy, but then that's what those advertising agencies get paid all the big bucks for.

    One approach would be to illustrate some or all of these features without overtly revealing the brand at first. Present them in such a way that people will view it as something they either need or would really like to have, with enough of a twist to differentiate it from iOS and Androids; then subtly drop the BB bomb. The content of the ads themselves also need to be something that will generate buzz, to get people talking about the ads as much as the products being advertised. That's what I'd do if I were the marketing boss.
    Ed

    Be bold. Be pantless. Then go take a nice long nap.
    oldtimeBBaddict likes this.
  7. Brianflys's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    757 Posts
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 18to7fiddy View Post
    Nice post.

    All of the features you noted, plus bridging with the PlayBook, which in my opinion is the most underrated feature of both BB's and PB's. They also made a big deal about the introduction of video chatting on the PB but never took it anywhere; that's something else that can be emphasized to generate interest.

    But the trick will be not only what they advertise, but how they present it. What they did with the PlayBook is a good example of what not to do. What at&t did with the latest Torch commercials is what they need to do more of. They need advertising that will help break the brand out of the image of the stodgy corporate communications device. That won't be easy, but then that's what those advertising agencies get paid all the big bucks for.

    One approach would be to illustrate some or all of these features without overtly revealing the brand at first. Present them in such a way that people will view it as something they either need or would really like to have, with enough of a twist to differentiate it from iOS and Androids; then subtly drop the BB bomb. The content of the ads themselves also need to be something that will generate buzz, to get people talking about the ads as much as the products being advertised. That's what I'd do if I were the marketing boss.
    Good ideas. I forgot to mention Bridge, and I agreed it is one of the best features that link the PB and BB. I use it constantly as my primary means to link PB and BB. RIM should promote the "ecosystem" of BB and PB, to counter the "no native email" fud. And the OPTIONS for connectivity, giving flexibility now allowed by other platforms to connect the phone and tablet.
  8. 13david77's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    65 Posts
    PIN
    330AB97D
    #8  

    Default

    I can see a commercial in my mind: A phoenix rising up from the ashes; As in, a Torch9850 or Bold9930 rising out from a mountain made of android phones, iPhones etc. etc. flies out into the distance on winds of the cell network in search of its disheveled owner in order to restore his/her power as a confident and productive member of society May be a little too epic for a BB commercial haha but it may be the kind of message they need to send to their loyal customers--awake the sleeping giant.
  9. Tank1978's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    634 Posts
    #9  

    Default

    They have to let people know what the phones can do, show off an app or two like i phone commercials. Show the bridge feature hire katy perry, lol, have a promotional feature with pb and new bb. or offer free os 7 device to those that want to switch to another company, and then offer new bb10 phones at a discount if people stay with rim. They need to be creative and draw people in and make people want to stay.
  10. Tank1978's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    634 Posts
    #10  

    Default

    Oh yeah, they also have to start advertising yesterday, and not wait till the near launch of the new phones in 7 months, show what they have now. Show off their all touch phones and the comfy big keyboard on the 9900.
  11. olblueyez's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,337 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,339 Global Posts
    PIN
    Director of The Anti-Special Needs Posting Unit,,!!!
    #11  

    Default

    They won't advertize, trolls = realists.
    monsky1956 likes this.
  12. Blkacesvf41's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    695 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,418 Global Posts
    #12  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tank1978 View Post
    They have to let people know what the phones can do, show off an app or two like i phone commercials. Show the bridge feature hire katy perry, lol, have a promotional feature with pb and new bb. or offer free os 7 device to those that want to switch to another company, and then offer new bb10 phones at a discount if people stay with rim. They need to be creative and draw people in and make people want to stay.
    Katy Perry or Lady Ga Ga, emphasize social media apps.
  13. loneweasel's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    120 Posts
    #13  

    Default

    We are big in Indonesia!
  14. Im Mo Green's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    152 Posts
    #14  

    Default

    after reading the transcript of the Q3 earnings over the weekend, i think the ads for north america are going to focus on the bold 9900/9930. its the right move, and i was surprised no ad support was given when it launched late summer in the US. that internet ad "touch, type togother" featuring the bold would be a good ad to blast out there on a constant basis. its a beautiful phone!! showed the phone to a friend who was an ex bb user and he loved it, especially the great keyboard. he left the bb curve because the keyboard was too small for him. seeing alot of the torch/att 4G ad lately
  15. livejam's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    378 Posts
    #15  

    Default

    Well RIM is sponsoring the NBA on ESPN, so hopefully we lots of good commercials next week. Would like to see something with NBA players using BBM to start a 5 on 5, or official BBM accounts of teams with a barcode on the commercial.
  16. llllBULLSEYE's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,012 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,032 Global Posts
    #16  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by livejam View Post
    Well RIM is sponsoring the NBA on ESPN, so hopefully we lots of good commercials next week. Would like to see something with NBA players using BBM to start a 5 on 5, or official BBM accounts of teams with a barcode on the commercial.
    oh really? this is good news
    when i think of NBA i think of t-mobile
    they spent millions on the NBA and I personally think it was well worth it.
    not a bad move by RIM
  17. livejam's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    378 Posts
    #17  

    Default

    Here is the pic...
    go Lakers!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RIM to advertise - What features would you promote?-img-20111213-00025.jpg  
    Thanked by 3:
    Brianflys (12-18-2011),  ekv (12-20-2011),  llllBULLSEYE (12-18-2011) 
  18. #18  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by livejam View Post
    Here is the pic...
    go Lakers!
    I've seen quite a bit of this kind of stuff at other sporting events, half-time shows, and what-not. The problem is, about all you see or hear is the brief mention of 'Sponsored by BlackBerry' in the introduction, and nothing else notable to suggest that BlackBerry might be cool -- or to even remember the brand -- after the sponsored segment is finished.

    Sponsorship is a great way to get the name out there, but they need to finish the job with something memorable for consumers to be able to identify with the brand.



    Oh, and by the way ...

    Go Celts!!
    Ed

    Be bold. Be pantless. Then go take a nice long nap.
  19. Mark PPG's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    507 Posts
    #19  

    Default

    I think they should advertise BB protect. Its a very useful and free app. Even if you present it for parents of the kids who have a BB. What better a feature to show parents than looking at your device location via a computer (either for a lost device, or checking up on where your child is)

    BB is working on a turn by turn, its in beta (latest BB traffic).
    Follow me on twitter @AllAboutMyBB

    Check out my BB blog! www.allaboutmybb.com
  20. NJPhilliesPhan's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    326 Posts
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    #20  

    Default

    I think they should advertise their new Torch line, most people today dont even know BB has touch screen phones. It may just sway some to come to BB.
  21. dandbj13's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    808 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,395 Global Posts
    #21  

    Default

    First, I don't think there is any "new" commitment to marketing. I think that is just something they said to appease the stockholders. It makes it sound like they are doing something about the problem. Unfortunately, it is not the answer to what ales them. Does anyone here think that advertising is a new idea that just came to them? Of course not!

    As for what should be marketed, definitely not features that the public has already decided they don't care about. Marketing Flash to a public who is happy buying devices without Flash is insane. Customer satisfaction surveys tell the tale. Year after year, people are happiest with the devices that DON'T have Flash support. That horse is dead. Don't try to ride it.

    Also, advertising security is a bad idea. First, people don't care about it, again, based on the products they purchase and the way they use them. Second, the moment you mention security, people automatically think there is something insecure that you are trying to hide or fix. Better to never mention it. If they are going to mention security, they will have to make a strong case for why it matters to the average iPhone or Android users who goes through their day without every having a real-world problem.

    Finally, absolutely avoid trying to sell based on upcoming features. Didn't RIM get enough of that with the people who bought the PB partially based on features that would be available shortly after release? If the product does not do it out of the box, shut up about it! Coming soon, is not a sales pitch. It is a cry for help. Stay away from that.

    If they are serious about sinking money into doing more advertising of the current product line, they should just show what they have, show how it works, say that it's a Blackberry, put it behind a snappy beat, and be proud of what it is. Don't mention the competition. Don't try to compare yourself to anything on the market. Don't talk about the future. Here's an example:

    "Blackberries are good enough for the smartest people in the world, the strongest governments, and the biggest businesses. It is good enough for the people who are in the know, for the movers and shakers, for those who are in the loop. Are you in?"

    "Blackberry!"

    I've done a little advertising.
  22. _StephenBB81's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    8,236 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,251 Global Posts
    #22  

    Default

    @Brianflys remember the report button


    Now to the Topic at hand

    RIM needs a few commercials
    They need to Do GODADDY like commercials with asking people to go to a commercials page to view the full commercial .

    I'd like to see an Ad that BBM keeps family's connected, and have girl in college, working mom, working dad, highschool boy, all talking, shared calendars with groups, pictures, voice notes, What BBM does to keep the costs down

    I'd like to see an ad for the PlayBook that has a college kid reading his emails someone comes in and says what are ya reading, kid says nothing... and the other kid takes the playbook, the playbook owner quickly turns off Bluetooth on his Phone, and the email app locks on the PlayBook, with some tag line about privacy.


    I'd like to see a domino effect of BlackBerry's starting with the first and ending with the newest one, not falling over. then zoom out and all the devices laying down make out the BlackBerry being advertised, being sure to highlight those BlackBerry's that were successful and had a positive image in the public eye, it is catchy looking, it shows progress, and it leaves a name, the viewers gets to seek out more info.


    I'd like to see a video of a business guy using Word Substitution, maybe a very common phrase he has turned into 4 or 5 letters, so he's typing out an email and you see him type rtfm192 and "Please refer to the manual page 192 for information on how to change your vacuum cleaner bag" appears, and the guys looks over at his golf buddy and says, Man I love Word substitution! and they get back to their game

    I'd like them to so a Christmas light theme around the LED colours of the BlackBerry notifications, just seeing red lights, then yellow, then blue, then green, then mixtures, then lights come on and it is a series of BlackBerry's that says, silent notifications can mean so much, or something along those lines.
    oops...
    Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital. \
  23. southlander's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    5,947 Posts
    PIN
    32FE97BA
    #23  

    Default

    I would study the things that most frustrate users of Android and iOS (separately). For example there was a ZDNet article in the last few days talking about how the author has a couple of Android LTE phones that only go 4 hours on a charge. New devices.

    This a common complaint I hear from all my Android using friends. Whatever anyone says about more uses = more drain, or that the new 99xx BlackBerrys have lower battery life for many, the fact is battery life is a generally perceived BB advantage over Android. Not every phone for every user for every use, but in general.

    So at least one good ad showing Android and iPhone users hunting for an AC outlet while BB users merrily go on about their business would be nice.

    Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    llllBULLSEYE (12-18-2011) 
    ekv likes this.
  24. blue_k's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    458 Posts
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    PIN
    322D4970
    #24  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deRusett View Post
    @Brianflys remember the report button


    Now to the Topic at hand

    RIM needs a few commercials
    They need to Do GODADDY like commercials with asking people to go to a commercials page to view the full commercial .

    I'd like to see an Ad that BBM keeps family's connected, and have girl in college, working mom, working dad, highschool boy, all talking, shared calendars with groups, pictures, voice notes, What BBM does to keep the costs down

    I'd like to see an ad for the PlayBook that has a college kid reading his emails someone comes in and says what are ya reading, kid says nothing... and the other kid takes the playbook, the playbook owner quickly turns off Bluetooth on his Phone, and the email app locks on the PlayBook, with some tag line about privacy.


    I'd like to see a domino effect of BlackBerry's starting with the first and ending with the newest one, not falling over. then zoom out and all the devices laying down make out the BlackBerry being advertised, being sure to highlight those BlackBerry's that were successful and had a positive image in the public eye, it is catchy looking, it shows progress, and it leaves a name, the viewers gets to seek out more info.


    I'd like to see a video of a business guy using Word Substitution, maybe a very common phrase he has turned into 4 or 5 letters, so he's typing out an email and you see him type rtfm192 and "Please refer to the manual page 192 for information on how to change your vacuum cleaner bag" appears, and the guys looks over at his golf buddy and says, Man I love Word substitution! and they get back to their game

    I'd like them to so a Christmas light theme around the LED colours of the BlackBerry notifications, just seeing red lights, then yellow, then blue, then green, then mixtures, then lights come on and it is a series of BlackBerry's that says, silent notifications can mean so much, or something along those lines.
    +1, I really like all of these ideas.
  25. llllBULLSEYE's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,012 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,032 Global Posts
    #25  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by southlander View Post
    .So at least one good ad showing Android and iPhone users hunting for an AC outlet while BB users merrily go on about their business would be nice.
    this is good lol
    number one complaint I get from customers by far is battery life.
    car/home chargers and batteries are selling like hotcakes lol.
    your idea for an ad is great I'm sure every non RIM smartphone user
    can relate to that.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions