Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree8Likes
  • 5 Post By sam_b77
  • 1 Post By AWDragon200
  • 1 Post By NaijaBerry
  • 1 Post By Rootbrian
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    If ur sexy>>>pm me
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Research In Motion to expand footprint to 160 cities in India

I find RIM's rapid global market expansion rather remarkable.. RIM is currently pressing hard into new markets at a very accelerated pace.

BlackBerry-maker Research In Motion to expand footprint to 160 cities in India - The Economic Times
    "I gotta Z10......I gotta Z10....Hey...Hey...Hey....Hey"........
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,739 Global Posts

RIM has a huge presence in India. Blackberrys are very popular here and since we are about six months behind the western tech world we are more patient with tech catching up.

In my friend circle everyone has a BB. I find it amazing that when we go out as a group of 5 couples, there are ten BBs on the table and always wonder what Crackberrians would say about that. Amongst us we have ten BBs and six PBs. 5 9900s, 3 9700s, 1 Curve 3g and 1 9860.

RIM has a lot of leverage here to the extent that when people compare the latest Android or iPhone with BBs with their cell phone retailer, the retailer normally responds that they shouldn't compare those with BBs as BBs are a different class altogether. I have seen the retailers trash the Samsung Note etc in favour of BBs.

RIM just has to build on this in India. Already the market is awash with rumours of BB10 devices and I feel if RIM gets it right they will rule this market.

RIM has 15% of smartphone market share in India as compared to 2% market share of iPhone. By the time LTE is rolled out in India the BB10 devices should be in place.
    Through the Years :2001 Ericsson T29s> Sony Z5> Sony Z7> SE Z600>Moto A760> RAZR V3>Razr V3i>BB 8800>BB 9500 >BB 9800>Bold 9900..RIM Returns with a bang

Life was much simpler when Apple and Blackberry were just fruits
    Thanked by 2:
    AlienSlacker (02-15-2012),  CDM76 (02-14-2012) 
    ritesh, Jake2826, CDM76 and 2 others like this.

RIM really needs to capitalize here and establish significant penetration and marketing brand here ... they cannot afford to drop the ball again ....
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,355 Global Posts
    PIN
    @getdjmac

Good news, India is a jewel of a market to be popular in.
    The article makes the case that RIM is on the right path when offering a selection of devices to their customers. Theres nothing wrong with 3 price points.
    Last edited by Dapper37; 02-12-2012 at 09:29 PM.
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    21B56580

its just in north america that bbs arent popular. everywhere else in the world you can see them everywhere

just like nokia
    Sometimes I like rolling up into a ball and pretending that I have a potato shell with a tomato core
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by phoreoneone View Post
    its just in north america that bbs arent popular. everywhere else in the world you can see them everywhere

just like nokia
    Actually in Canada, Blackberry has 35-40% of smartphone market share from an article in The Toronto Star in Dec. It's really only the USA market that has been swamped by Iphone and Android.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by sam_b77 View Post
    RIM has a huge presence in India. Blackberrys are very popular here and since we are about six months behind the western tech world we are more patient with tech catching up.

In my friend circle everyone has a BB. I find it amazing that when we go out as a group of 5 couples, there are ten BBs on the table and always wonder what Crackberrians would say about that. Amongst us we have ten BBs and six PBs. 5 9900s, 3 9700s, 1 Curve 3g and 1 9860.

RIM has a lot of leverage here to the extent that when people compare the latest Android or iPhone with BBs with their cell phone retailer, the retailer normally responds that they shouldn't compare those with BBs as BBs are a different class altogether. I have seen the retailers trash the Samsung Note etc in favour of BBs.

RIM just has to build on this in India. Already the market is awash with rumours of BB10 devices and I feel if RIM gets it right they will rule this market.

RIM has 15% of smartphone market share in India as compared to 2% market share of iPhone. By the time LTE is rolled out in India the BB10 devices should be in place.
    India is a true Crackberry Nation! Hip hip hooray! Keep up the BB Love!
    CrackBerry Addict

India adds/sells more cell phone users every year than Canada's population. I think RIM will be # 1 in India in coming years especially when it is endorsed by Bollywood.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,104 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me

Quote Originally Posted by sam_b77 View Post

In my friend circle everyone has a BB. I find it amazing that when we go out as a group of 5 couples, there are ten BBs on the table and always wonder what Crackberrians would say about that. Amongst us we have ten BBs and six PBs. 5 9900s, 3 9700s, 1 Curve 3g and 1 9860..
    next time you go out you should take a pic of all those blackberries on the table and send to Kevin
    just so in love with my berry
    SR: 10.2.1.2977

dumb phone->SonyEricsson P900->dumb phone->Storm 9530->Bold 9700->White Torch-2 9810->Grey Torch-2 9810->Black Z10 STL 100-1->Z30 STA 100-2->64GB PB bridged to Black Z3 STJ100-1
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    982 Global Posts

In Nigeria blackberries rule the smartphone market, the rich and the poor have them and more of the poor want them badly, so you've got a huge market for second hand bb's and you can see some of those very old models still in use out here. Iphone, a very few of middle to upper class have them, mostly for pose value and android, well, just doesn't exist! Surprisingly though the bb porsche is used by a whole lot of people, especially the ladies!
    Dapper37 likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    681 Global Posts
    PIN
    DROP SILENCE

People should watch this to understand the BB craze in Nigeria. They have a couple of movies made on it. I am in love with Nollywood

BlackBerry Babes - YouTube
    BB Users from India, check out www.bbindia.net
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    Optional, but not needed.

I can't wait to see blackberry being used in bollywood. I love that genre!
    ritesh likes this.

RIM need to do everything humanly possible to dominate this important market!.... no second chance!! .....
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,739 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Walcolm View Post
    next time you go out you should take a pic of all those blackberries on the table and send to Kevin
    Already posted in the BB Madness thread. Only 5 in this one. The rest were missing in action that day. Will try another one next we are out.
    Through the Years :2001 Ericsson T29s> Sony Z5> Sony Z7> SE Z600>Moto A760> RAZR V3>Razr V3i>BB 8800>BB 9500 >BB 9800>Bold 9900..RIM Returns with a bang

CrackBerry Addict

That is awesome to see. I actually think getting a firm foothold in India is an awesome move by RIM. To be in one of the most heavily populated countries in the world is no small feat.
    CrackBerry Newbie

I think RIM first needs to bring down the prices in India. I have lost most my BBM friends for the very same reason.

The prices for BIS in Andhra are $6 (Chats and emails only) and $8 for full access. Where as the prices for a 2GB data bundle is $2 for other phones. So when most of my friends are calculating the running costs which is $8 versus $2. Four times expensive!!!

I hope some one from RIM India is reading this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by varmaqs View Post
    I think RIM first needs to bring down the prices in India. I have lost most my BBM friends for the very same reason.

The prices for BIS in Andhra are $6 (Chats and emails only) and $8 for full access. Where as the prices for a 2GB data bundle is $2 for other phones. So when most of my friends are calculating the running costs which is $8 versus $2. Four times expensive!!!

Agree, it is a bit expensive but the 8$ is not just for internet but also for BBM, push emails and better data compression. 5-6$ would be ideal
    Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,739 Global Posts

Check with your provider. You have the wrong plan.
    I'm assuming Andhra has airtel operating there. Airtel will offer BBM+CHats at Rs.299, unlimited device browsing+BBM+mails at Rs.599 and all of the above + 2GB of tethered data for Rs.899.

There is no 2GB tethering plan for $2 for any device.

CrackBerry Addict

I think he meant for non-Blackberry phones. You get 2GB / 1 GB data for 96-99 Rupees
    Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted
    CrackBerry Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by varmaqs View Post

i absolutely agree with your point.If BB india introduces limited BIS full access plans such as Rs.99 for 500MB or Rs.199 for 1GB,then BBs will become a rage here.Most of my friends want to have a BB but do not buy one just because of the hefty data tariffs.One can consider the somewhat costlier price tags of BBs,but most people do not want to pay for the significantly higer data tariffs.I myself think about switching to Android just because of the high BIS tariffs.
    CrackBerry Newbie

RIM India should introduce limited full access BIS plans such as Rs.99 for 500MB,Rs.199 for 1GB.If it happens like this BBs will become a rage in India.Its the data tariffs which are keeping away most of the interested people from BBs.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Most of my friends initially wanted to have BBs but ultimately went for Androids just because of the expensive BIS tariffs.Currently all BIS plans are for unlimited access,which does not suit everybody's pockets.RIM should introduce limited full access BIS plans also.If normal GPRS/EDGE tariff is Rs.100 for 1-2 GB,RIM could provide Rs.100 for 200MB,Rs.199 for 500MB,Rs.299 for 1GB.These kind of tariff plans for BIS will provide a lot of choice to the consumers who want to have a taste of the BBs.They should charge a premium over the plain vanilla data tariffs but at least they should introduce some limited full access BIS plans also.