Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By the_sleuth
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,173 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Recent technical news on battery efficiency

Well, I think these new phones have suffered a big trade-off: big screen and battery life, especially LTE phones. The CPUs are becoming more efficient but improvements in battery technology lags. Here's a recent article on power amplifiers:

Yet Another Promise of a Smartphone Battery Breakthrough | TIME.com

I wonder if RIM's purchase of Paratek will show up in BB10 London or do we have to wait for another product cycle?

RIM acquires Paratek to focus on developing RF tuning technologies | CrackBerry.com
    Evolution of Communication: Rotary Phone > Dial Tone > Motorola Walkie-talkie > Nokia 2160 > Nokia 6190 > Samsung a460 > Samsung a920 > BB 8700 > BB 9530 > BB 9860 > PlayBook > Z10 > HTC One X+>Z30
    jasperlin likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Please feel free to ask :)

Default Re: Recent technical news on battery efficiency

We'll see how efficient BB10 and more so QNX is soon enough. I'm optimistic but at the same time I don't think my Playbook get good battery life and I'm hoping that's due to RIM knowing BB10 would replace the tablet OS and therefore not optimizing it to their full potential. I hope BB10 provides great battery life. I don't think that paratek acquisition of ill factor into these first few devices
    QNX and LTE, hand me a pen and let's do this.
    **Taken from The Engine**

Yes I am black...and yes I LOVE grape Kool Aid. I can't blame u for judging me

- Durrell
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,397 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by the_sleuth View Post
    Well, I think these new phones have suffered a big trade-off: big screen and battery life, especially LTE phones. The CPUs are becoming more efficient but improvements in battery technology lags. Here's a recent article on power amplifiers:

Yet Another Promise of a Smartphone Battery Breakthrough | TIME.com

I wonder if RIM's purchase of Paratek will show up in BB10 London or do we have to wait for another product cycle?

RIM acquires Paratek to focus on developing RF tuning technologies | CrackBerry.com
    I was suprised to hear that RIM expects it to be 3-5 years B4 Paretek tech that is still being developed will be fulling intergrated into their phones. Eventually they want to be able to be able to just update the radiostack & have that tell the antenna what frequencies ect. to use. This would mean that 1 BB could be used on any network anywhere in the world. Which I think is pretty cool. I didn't know that they had this in mind for the future, I know for the short term they are planning on having antennas that can use more freuencies & have better reception. I'm HOPING that we will see that in the current phones, though if the leaked L & N specs are right, it looks like we may have to wait till next year

Proud Owner of a BlackBerry Q10

CrackBerry Master

I think the batter life on the bb10 phones will be poor. I am still getting a bb10 phone regardless! Lol
    Banned

Global Posts
    527 Global Posts

Battery life will be awesome
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by bbpandy View Post
    I was suprised to hear that RIM expects it to be 3-5 years B4 Paretek tech that is still being developed will be fulling intergrated into their phones. Eventually they want to be able to be able to just update the radiostack & have that tell the antenna what frequencies ect. to use. This would mean that 1 BB could be used on any network anywhere in the world. Which I think is pretty cool. I didn't know that they had this in mind for the future, I know for the short term they are planning on having antennas that can use more freuencies & have better reception. I'm HOPING that we will see that in the current phones, though if the leaked L & N specs are right, it looks like we may have to wait till next year
    In an article with, i think the BBC, Heins stated that they would be using the Paretek software to enable the radio antennas to be used on multiple network frequencies on the first BB10 phones so what your are asking should be there at launch.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Please feel free to ask :)

Quote Originally Posted by bbpandy View Post
    When did they say it would take 3 to 5 years before they could fully implement the tech into their devices? I didn't realize they ever made a statement on that?
    QNX and LTE, hand me a pen and let's do this.
    **Taken from The Engine**

Yes I am black...and yes I LOVE grape Kool Aid. I can't blame u for judging me

- Durrell
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    2B1BC93C

Quote Originally Posted by Rello View Post
    When did they say it would take 3 to 5 years before they could fully implement the tech into their devices? I didn't realize they ever made a statement on that?
    I'm not sure where they said that. But I remember reading something like that too. So I can second that.