Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree155Likes
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,151 Global Posts

The funny thing is that many people have been saying 'iOS apps suck' and will now be saying 'how do i get that app to work on my PB?' .

This is GREAT because it shows what the playbook can do, however we have to be careful because filling the app ecosystem with garbage is NOT a good thing. I know a lot of people want skype and netflix, but we should be pressuring the companies to release native apps and NOT finding work arounds.

This developer did a great job, but maybe instead of finding illegal ways to run apps they could offer their time to some of these companies to develop NATIVE and LEGAL apps... and get paid to do so. This way of doing things will help the users that are 'tech savy'... but the normal users wont be able to use it, and that is something that needs to be worked on by RIM. Everyone buys the iPad bc 'theres an app for that' just by searching in the app store and tapping the screen a couple of times. No work arounds or anything. I would choose my PB over an iPad any day... but im not an average user who is bought over through flash and shiny things.
    ------------------------>LIST OF WORKING Android Apps for Z10/BB10 ---200 SO FAR!!! <------------------------
    Thanked by:
    ljo01 (06-19-2012) 
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by h20work View Post
    Just curious, still think it's fake?
    Still curious...when did I say it's a fake? Go through all the threads and the posts and please quote me. I never said it's a fake (and I never said it was real) but I did stand up for those who did. Yes, guilty as charged. They had good reason for it though. It's called the internet. Also, I did ask OP if we could meet up as I thought he was from NY and I'll be headed there with some other devs who simply flipped when I told them about it. Also, I did ask him what his plans were and if he was going to release it. But no reply. Rational people must question everything around them with an open mind. Do you blame me?
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    7,483 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WinningWithLogic View Post
    This seems very hard to believe. We're not talking here just about implementing some trivial Objective-C classes that are missing. The underlying iOS frameworks are heavy duty - we're talking about the implementation of tens to hundreds of thousands of lines of code.

Just recently everyone in the hacker community was amazed at the scope of magenta (Somewhere in the middle ...) which doesn't even claim to do a tenth of what you purport to have done (yet, though...the author is working to implement CoreGraphics, UiKit, etc...to support iPhone OS 1.0).

For the scope of the claimed work, a YouTube video just isn't credible...not even close...you pretty much have to be either:
    (a) a proven/demonstrated real-life wizard; or
    (b) provide detailed sources/code repo/technical details, etc.
    He got it running on Windows. And QNX. It would work equally well running against Linux (as I'm sure the developer could confirm).

It has nothing to do with BB10.
    So first it was unlikely it could be done, and now any OS can do it. Perhaps the developer should tell us if BB10 makes this much easier to implement than some of the other OS options since you were totally wrong on your first assessment!
    Banned

I thought crackheads didn't want apps, yet they are jumping for joy in this thread. SMH!
    CrackBerry Genius

So one guy working alone has succeeded in making some pretty sophisticated iOS apps work while a team of RIM developers has taken a year and a half and we get some percentage of mostly crappy Android Apps mostly working most of the time.

This is why I am afraid that RIM is doomed to fail. If one guy can do this (presumably while earning a living doing something else), what on Earth has RIM and all of its resources been up to (other than squandering those resources)? This is a legitimate question. Why is the Android Player not perfect and why does it not run all Android Apps?
    Last edited by lawguyman; 06-12-2012 at 06:18 PM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by lnichols View Post
    So first it was unlikely it could be done, and now any OS can do it. Perhaps the developer should tell us if BB10 makes this much easier to implement than some of the other OS options since you were totally wrong on your first assessment!
    That's the dumbest thing I've read today. Yes, I was sceptical at first - as should anyone be for something this significant. The only people who weren't sceptical were people with with absolutely no understanding of how complex this is to do.

The underlying OS that this emulator sits on top of has nothing to do with the statement above. In other words, the statement "So first it was unlikely it could be done, and now any OS can do it" actually makes no sense whatsoever.

Global Posts
    8,251 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lawguyman View Post
    So one guy working alone has succeeded in making some pretty sophisticated iOS apps work while a team of RIM developers has taken a year and a half and we get mostly crappy Android Apps mostly working most of the time.

This is why I am afraid that RIM is doomed to fail. If one guy can do this (presumably while earning a living doing something else), what on Earth has RIM and all of its resources been up to (other than squandering those resources)? This is a legitimate question. Why is the Android Player not perfect and why does it not run all Android Apps?

While I see where you are coming from here.

there are a few differences, RIM allows Apps to touch far more than these iOS apps touch, I'm sure if you said no internet, access and limited things more more apps would work

ALSO Android itself can't even ensure all apps run on all os's/devices so expecting RIM to pull that off is pretty far fetched, what Apple does right is has very strict guidelines and creating an iOS emulator should be more similar to a console emulator than an Android one would be.

Also RIM as a company has for more legalities to worry about than an independent guy does.
    oops...
    Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital. \
    Thanked by:
    maddie1128 (06-12-2012) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by deRusett View Post
    While I see where you are coming from here.

there are a few differences, RIM allows Apps to touch far more than these iOS apps touch, I'm sure if you said no internet, access and limited things more more apps would work

ALSO Android itself can't even ensure all apps run on all os's/devices so expecting RIM to pull that off is pretty far fetched, what Apple does right is has very strict guidelines and creating an iOS emulator should be more similar to a console emulator than an Android one would be.

Also RIM as a company has for more legalities to worry about than an independent guy does.
    Of course there are differences but the comparison remains: one guy working in his spare time versus RIM, lots of cash, and a team of developers. I wish this could somehow be explained in a way that makes sense to me.
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    2B1BC93C

So one guy working alone has succeeded in making some pretty sophisticated iOS apps work while a team of RIM developers has taken a year and a half and we get some percentage of mostly crappy Android Apps mostly working most of the time.

It was mentioned that RIM was doing it in the limits of legalities.

And RIM themselves mentioned why it doesn't run ALL Android apps.

Global Posts
    8,251 Global Posts

Of course there are differences but the comparison remains: one guy working in his spare time versus RIM, lots of cash, and a team of developers. I wish this could somehow be explained in a way that makes sense to me.
    Become a developer.

and then compare developing Android apps and iOS apps
    Then you'll understand far more.

Money and teams of developers does NOT mean better quality, too many cooks spoil the broth as they say.

Also we don't know the dedication put into Android Apps, are the people doing it dedicated? or is it a side project for people, like many other experimental projects are.
    oops...
    Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital. \
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    240 Global Posts

Very Impressive. Cheers to cat. Since i cannot participate in the arguments of coding ... And im lost for the most part when people mention objective c class or whatever... Answer some of the basic questions.

1. Why QNX...Why the playbook.
    2. Was this to put yourself to the test, or you assumed it was always probably given the fact that the playbook can run Android.
    3. You said some of the things weren't that hard to achieve, do you believe RIM dev team was aware of this potential in the platform.
    4. Do you plan on releasing this at some point to the dev community (Einstein didnt tell the world about gravity then give us the middle finger)

So many other questions but ill contain my excitement and stay tuned.
    Last edited by digtech; 06-12-2012 at 06:47 PM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Curious to know what he meant when he said... cats not wanted at bbjam
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by abwan11 View Post
    Curious to know what he meant when he said... cats not wanted at bbjam
    He loves cats and like myself, left handed....that's all know. LMAO

Probably referring to himself I would guess.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by mithrazor View Post
    It was mentioned that RIM was doing it in the limits of legalities.

And RIM themselves mentioned why it doesn't run ALL Android apps.
    Why do you assume that what he has done is anything but legal?

What reason has RIM given about why it has chosen not to support those parts of Android that allow for good apps?

Like most around here I am rooting for RIM to succeed. I just have to question what is going on over there under these circumstances and wonder if RIM is up to the job.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by Cozz4ever View Post
    He loves cats and like myself, left handed....that's all know. LMAO

Probably referring to himself I would guess.
    BLACK CAT
    CrackBerry Abuser

The Android fragmentation is up to about 4,000 different devices... Not even an Android device can run run all Android apps... So yea, RIM has a hard time with Android apps...

BusinessCat did an awesome job with this but it obviously still needs polishing i.e
    Test #2: Just a few hours ago we sent the developer the iPhone app for our sibling site iMore. This is only an iPhone app and not available on any other platform. As you can see in the video above, he got the nuts of it up and running in less than hour. It's not pulling in images from the web, but the app loads and it is working. Huge.

Seeing is believing, and we have seen. There is more work yet to be done still. Right now it works best with API's under v4, and supports builds for universal binary or armv6. Right now it works best with apps like games, but apps that need UIWebView and CoreData, not so much yet.
    Keep up the good work
    Hope to use it soon

Global Posts
    7,483 Global Posts

That's the dumbest thing I've read today. Yes, I was sceptical at first - as should anyone be for something this significant. The only people who weren't sceptical were people with with absolutely no understanding of how complex this is to do.

The underlying OS that this emulator sits on top of has nothing to do with the statement above. In other words, the statement "So first it was unlikely it could be done, and now any OS can do it" actually makes no sense whatsoever.
    I would say the same thing about your two assumptions, the first that it couldn't be done, which has been shown to be wrong, and your second that there is nothing special about BB10 that made this happen. Windows required an emulator where it appears BB10 did not.

Quote Originally Posted by businesscat2000 View Post
    I originally called it "iOS apps running on Playbook!" but it was quickly renamed by one of the mods.
    Can the mod who changed the title of this thread change it back now?
    "Distrust and caution are the parents of security." -Benjamin Franklin
    h20work, mikeplus1 and ad19 like this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

If rim polishes android player and adds this...well I would say that's one HAIL of a consumer product.
    Last edited by abwan11; 06-12-2012 at 07:27 PM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by lnichols View Post
    I would say the same thing about your two assumptions, the first that it couldn't be done, which has been shown to be wrong, and your second that there is nothing special about BB10 that made this happen. Windows required an emulator where it appears BB10 did not.
    (1) I never said it couldn't be done. Go back and re-read everything I wrote. It's called skepticism bro - it's the reason we're not all running around terrified of the Yeti.

(2) Of course it's an emulator running in both instances. For the x86, there's an additional ARM translation layer, because *surprise* mobile devices use ARM chipsets, while Windows is running on x86, but otherwise it's the exact same iOS emulator. *Sigh*...
    CrackBerry Abuser

Arguing on blogs is like blogging about arguing...
    CrackBerry User

I'm guessing this wouldn't work on the 9900?
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    61 Global Posts

Default Absolutely Impressive

What I saw from the video is just impressive. I'm wondering if this is real and if it's real, will Apple find out about it and somehow try to get it removed or worse try and take legal action to protect itself and iOS developers.
    BlackBerry

Global Posts
    6,470 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Raptors_Inception95 View Post
    I'm guessing this wouldn't work on the 9900?
    I'm guessing that wasn't a sincere question?
    BB4Life
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by DLui64 View Post
    What I saw from the video is just impressive. I'm wondering if this is real and if it's real, will Apple find out about it and somehow try to get it removed or worse try and take legal action to protect itself and iOS developers.
    It is verified as real...

Everyone knows Apple will try and put a stop to it at some point... Otherwise I'm sure Steve will rise from the grave and use a zombie distortion field to prevent another "theft"
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast