Like Tree15Likes
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,566 Global Posts
    PIN
    CHED NERVE
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default RCMP have approved the PlayBook

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police just announced that the PlayBook has been approved for use.
    The RCMP is Canada's largest police force with about 30,000 employees.

Brendan Dunne, Acting Chief Technology Officer, says "The BlackBerry PlayBook meets RCMP requirements because it links to a BlackBerry, which is already an approved device. iPads and devices running other operating systems (such as Android) are not currently approved".

Good news for RIM. Although, because the RCMP is a federal agency, I'm sure there won't be many new tablet acquisitions until the new fiscal year starts April 1, 2012.
    Same can be said for other government agencies. Ontario Finance Minister Dwight Duncan is a big fan of the PlayBook. Add to that a major OS update on the horizon, and 2012 is shaping up to be a great year for the PlayBook.
    Last edited by Jake Storm; 09-19-2011 at 10:47 PM.
    RIM is dead. Long live BlackBerry!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,505 Global Posts

good to hear and yes good for RIM
    CrackBerry Abuser

I would hope a CANADIAN federal agency would support a CANADIAN cell phone manufacturer.

That will be one huge rebate form.
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by FranzJoseph View Post
    I would hope a CANADIAN federal agency would support a CANADIAN cell phone manufacturer.
    It's approved because of its security, not where it's made.
    CrackBerry Genius

Here's hoping the RCMP decides to take a big order of PB's and put them into police cars like the one Crackberry Kevin got thrown into
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,566 Global Posts
    PIN
    CHED NERVE
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Quote Originally Posted by greatwiseone View Post
    Here's hoping the RCMP decides to take a big order of PB's and put them into police cars like the one Crackberry Kevin got thrown into
    Or the car manufacturers could supply them from the factory with the new police cruisers.
    I heard Ford has a new Police Interceptor coming out based on the Taurus. This could be a nice factory option to separate it from other police car manufacturers.

I'm sure (I hope) RIM has people liaising with Ford/Dodge/Chevy to help and encourage them with PlayBook integration in new vehicles. I've seen the inside of the current RCMP Ford Crown Victoria, and the laptop and light controller take up a lot of space. That set up that Kevin was showing us looked really clean.
    greatwiseone likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Storm View Post
    The Royal Canadian Mounted Police just announced that the PlayBook has been approved for use.

Brendan Dunne, Acting Chief Technology Officer, says "The BlackBerry PlayBook meets RCMP requirements because it links to a BlackBerry, which is already an approved device. iPads and devices running other operating systems (such as Android) are not currently approved".

Good news for RIM. Although, because the RCMP is a federal agency, I'm sure there won't be many new tablet acquisitions until the new fiscal year starts April 1, 2012.
    Same can be said for other government agencies. The Canadian Finance Minister Dwight Duncan is a big fan of the PlayBook. Add to that a major OS update on the horizon, and 2012 is shaping up to be a great year for the PlayBook.
    Just so you know, Dwight Duncan is the finance minister of Ontario, not Canada.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    8,251 Global Posts

Or the car manufacturers could supply them from the factory with the new police cruisers.
    I heard Ford has a new Police Interceptor coming out based on the Taurus. This could be a nice factory option to separate it from other police car manufacturers.

I'm sure (I hope) RIM has people liaising with Ford/Dodge/Chevy to help and encourage them with PlayBook integration in new vehicles. I've seen the inside of the current RCMP Ford Crown Victoria, and the laptop and light controller take up a lot of space. That set up that Kevin was showing us looked really clean.
    a lot of the electronics is installed after market not at the factory
    I actually sat in a meeting at an Armored car manufacturer with one of the people who BID on and install the Laptop mounts for the OPP and RCMP vehicles in Ontario and Quebec.
    oops...
    Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital. \
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,566 Global Posts
    PIN
    CHED NERVE
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

Quote Originally Posted by SharpieFiend View Post
    Just so you know, Dwight Duncan is the finance minister of Ontario, not Canada.
    You're right.
    My apologies to Mr. Flaherty

However, it appears that Mr. Flaherty is also a RIM supporter...
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthr...08#post6692208
    Last edited by Jake Storm; 09-19-2011 at 10:55 PM.
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    G PONG

With this news, it is clearly time for a Playbook app that finds the nearest Tim Horton's based on current GPS coordinates.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    68 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sid-V View Post
    With this news, it is clearly time for a Playbook app that finds the nearest Tim Horton's based on current GPS coordinates.
    There already is one

Quote Originally Posted by WillieLee View Post
    It's approved because of its security, not where it's made.
    Which is the reason that the American federal government uses it...
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons; dragonslayers are crunchy, and good with ketchup

Global Posts
    6,976 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Qbnkelt View Post
    Which is the reason that the American federal government uses it...
    Have you seen any in use yet in the fed space? I haven't yet. I think that will change once they get it talking to BES and have the native stuff, but I have yet to see a single Playbook being carried around. I would like to try to pilot some stuff once they get it working with BES.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,566 Global Posts
    PIN
    CHED NERVE
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  

Quote Originally Posted by deRusett View Post
    a lot of the electronics is installed after market not at the factory
    I actually sat in a meeting at an Armored car manufacturer with one of the people who BID on and install the Laptop mounts for the OPP and RCMP vehicles in Ontario and Quebec.
    I guess they'll have to go talk to Mobile Innovations...
    http://crackberry.com/guess-what-rol...ice-cruiser-v2

Global Posts
    6,443 Global Posts
    PIN
    Not - NO!

The current US Adminstration has approved General Motors but that does not make it a winner.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,961 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by greggebhardt View Post
    The current US Adminstration has approved General Motors but that does not make it a winner.
    It might make it a winner for sales based on security if no other car could offer the same security.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Global Posts
    8,251 Global Posts

I guess they'll have to go talk to Mobile Innovations...
    http://crackberry.com/guess-what-rol...ice-cruiser-v2

They may be a competitor,

Mobile Innovations only works with 20 Agency's in Canada and the UK.

This Demo Car does look sweet,
    oops...
    Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital. \
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    PIN
    @SurrealCivic

Same can be said for other government agencies. Ontario Finance Minister Dwight Duncan is a big fan of the PlayBook. Add to that a major OS update on the horizon, and 2012 is shaping up to be a great year for the PlayBook.
    I can assure you that the Finance Ministry of Canada and the Competition Bureau of Canada will have no problems approving a takeover of Research In Motion, if one happens to come around.

Global Posts
    8,251 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealCivic View Post
    I can assure you that the Finance Ministry of Canada and the Competition Bureau of Canada will have no problems approving a takeover of Research In Motion, if one happens to come around.
    Because you are in said Bureau?
    oops...
    CrackBerry Abuser

I agree a takeover of RIM would not be blocked by the Canadian Federal government, the Conservatives mainly opposed the Potash takeover due to political vote getting issues, they have a majority now so wouldn't be so worried and go against their principles as they have four years of guaranteed power. Hope it doesn't happen though!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,566 Global Posts
    PIN
    CHED NERVE
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #22  

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealCivic View Post
    I can assure you they will not.
    Assurances mean little on an internet forum.

Quote Originally Posted by lnichols View Post
    Have you seen any in use yet in the fed space? I haven't yet. I think that will change once they get it talking to BES and have the native stuff, but I have yet to see a single Playbook being carried around. I would like to try to pilot some stuff once they get it working with BES.
    Oh, yes!!!!
    My agency ran a pilot and we do have some. Not widespread use yet. Unfortunately I didn't manage to weasel my way into one.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons; dragonslayers are crunchy, and good with ketchup

Global Posts
    6,976 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Qbnkelt View Post
    Oh, yes!!!!
    My agency ran a pilot and we do have some. Not widespread use yet. Unfortunately I didn't manage to weasel my way into one.
    Very cool. Glad they are starting to work their way in.

PIN
    Optional, but not needed.

About time the RCMP approved it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast