Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree71Likes
    Banned

Global Posts
    916 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Superfly_FR View Post
    I'll say it roughly simply.
    Manufacturers (most likely equipments brands, associated to car makers) won't have to bother integrating BB10. It's core, low-level built-in.
    That's true, but it still doesn't sell more BB10 devices - which was the original point. And not a lot of cars out there have these sophisticated features - so it's a very small market right now.

BB10 will succeed/fail based on the device itself and in the meantime car manufacturers are busy trying to integrate features in their car to adopt to the market leaders of iOS and Android.

QNX integration is important down the road, but RIM needs to be able to survive to get to that point.

Global Posts
    10,341 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey, what did you expect ?
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #52  

Quote Originally Posted by berklon View Post
    That's true, but it still doesn't sell more BB10 devices - which was the original point. And not a lot of cars out there have these sophisticated features - so it's a very small market right now.

BB10 will succeed/fail based on the device itself and in the meantime car manufacturers are busy trying to integrate features in their car to adopt to the market leaders of iOS and Android.

QNX integration is important down the road, but RIM needs to be able to survive to get to that point.
    Do not ommit that QNX is the undiscussed leader in that sector and will sell (projection) around 11 million licenses in 2013 ... It won't do the whole thing, but it certainly offers a nice niche.
    Join my BBM Channel : C00035FA6
    "I speak English like a Spanish Cow"
    I'm a StockBerrian, proudly holding 50 150 250 400 550 1000 BlackBerry shares
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by berklon View Post

QNX is owned by RIM. RIM doesn't need to sell the phone with the car to make money. Once the consumer buys that car with QNX equipped, RIM makes money on that part and would probably make more if there's a service charge for some features. Now is RIM going to survive to get to that point...only time will tell. Let's be patient and see how they will expand BB10 as a mobile computing OS.
    Patiently waited for BB10. Now sporting AT&T Z10
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,579 Global Posts

I'll say it roughly simply.
    Manufacturers (most likely equipments brands, associated to car makers) won't have to bother integrating BB10. It's core, low-level built-in.
    I'll say this simply
    It doesn't matter if it's 'low level built in' or not. Car makers will license QNX for their in-car infotainment units and then make it iOS and Android compliant for obvious reasons.

Despite your claims, I expect there will definitely be some work needed to allow BB10 handsets and QNX powered cars to interact.

Global Posts
    10,341 Global Posts
    PIN
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #55  

Quote Originally Posted by texazzpete View Post
    I'll say this simply
    It doesn't matter if it's 'low level built in' or not. Car makers will license QNX for their in-car infotainment units and then make it iOS and Android compliant for obvious reasons.
    Despite your claims, I expect there will definitely be some work needed to allow BB10 handsets and QNX powered cars to interact.
    BB10 <-> QNX devices interoperability is one feature of both environments; alike a network protocol (just to put a word on it).
    This is what T. Heins was talking about when BB10 was delayed to Q1 2013 because "the plumbing had to be set". I believe "plumbing" describes very well what that is.

Communication layers are also embedded for iOs, android and windows devices, so that car makers does not have to "make it compliant": It's mostly about BlueTooth support, latest being BT.

You'll find a far better explanation of this here : http://www.qnx.com/products/qnxcar/#...eDeviceGateway
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 12-05-2012 at 03:35 AM. Reason: precisions / reorder

Global Posts
    10,341 Global Posts
    PIN
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #56  
    Banned

Hey Superfly you don't sleep? Anyhow always enjoy your posts and the information you provide.
    Thanked by:
    Superfly_FR (12-07-2012) 

Global Posts
    10,341 Global Posts
    PIN
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #58  

Quote Originally Posted by mrfreetruth View Post
    Hey Superfly you don't sleep? Anyhow always enjoy your posts and the information you provide.
    LOL I'm in France ...
    Banned

LOL I'm in France ...
    Where are you? Here?

Global Posts
    10,341 Global Posts
    PIN
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #60  

Quote Originally Posted by mrfreetruth View Post
    Where are you? Here?
    I born in Paris, yes. Now I'm in the near surburbs

(lol this is not my house)
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    CHED NERVE

Quote Originally Posted by Techno-Emigre View Post
    Changes in laws are shaping this integration as well. It is likely that not only texting, but holding and using a mobile device will be illegal at some point. ...
    Using any handheld electronic device while driving is already illegal in BC, Canada.
    RIM is dead. Long live BlackBerry!
    Superfly_FR likes this.

Global Posts
    10,341 Global Posts
    PIN
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #62  

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Storm View Post
    Using any handheld electronic device while driving is already illegal in BC, Canada.
    Same in France. Even the ear kit will probably be forbidden soon. Real hands-free system are barely objectionable because it's hard to tell if you're singing, talking alone or to another person in the car.
    100% hands-free operation will lower the distraction level ... Still, we know having a call while driving is very distractive (I believe something like 60% attention loss; next time you have a friend driving and calling, just pay attention to his eyes focus: obviously fixing the horizon, not the road).
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,458 Global Posts

Do not ommit that QNX is the undiscussed leader in that sector and will sell (projection) around 11 million licenses in 2013 ... It won't do the whole thing, but it certainly offers a nice niche.
    I've done a little research since my last post in this section. In 2010 RIM paid about $200 million for QNX in 2010. It was estimated that was in excess of about 5 times their current earnings at the time. It was also said that a large part of their earnings came from the auto sector. It means that mas o menos in 2010 QNX made about 40 million dollars for Harmon with a big chunk coming from autos.

Unless QNX can find a way to generate recurring revenue from their placement in autos, their contribution to RIM's bottom line will not be appreciable. It seems these licenses fetch dollars a car - maybe 3-4-5 dollars. So far this year, 57+ million cars have been produced worldwide, so they could conceivably expand their business, but unless they can find new revenue streams - I don't see it making a big impact on the bottom line of RIM.

Getting a way to connect to the servers the way the smartphones do would be big, if it could produce monthly even yearly revenue streams. But as others have said I think their is a big reluctance on the part of manufacturers to do that so far.

Global Posts
    10,341 Global Posts
    PIN
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #64  

Quote Originally Posted by randall2580 View Post
    Getting a way to connect to the servers the way the smartphones do would be big, if it could produce monthly even yearly revenue streams. But as others have said I think their is a big reluctance on the part of manufacturers to do that so far.
    Market is moving fast ... fleet management, car inspection, recall on deficiency, car manufacturers struggling under independent maintenance chains ... this has to be seen not only from the consumer side, but also from the manufacturers' one. Imagine for instance how marketing could be efficient for car makers, based on the real usage of the car : "dear Mr Randall, your scheduled maintenance is in 200 miles, do you want to set an appointment next month at the local dealer near you ?". How much would they pay for this kind of amazing competitive advantage ? say $1/month (i.e : nothing compared to current marketing costs)? Then some (very theoretical) maths : 11Million*12 = $132 million/year, for this sole usage.
    Once again, this won't make RIM fortune, but certainly add a lot of revenue ...
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by texazzpete View Post
    I'll say this simply

Quick lil video in there.
    Watch "Cloud Connected Cars from QNX Software Systems - CES 2012" Video at Engineering TV

BB10 platform is qnx core based it easily allows for connections with other qnx supported devices so the sync is easy just UX and UI they got to work on.They know where they are going with it vision wise ,its very possible its not a maybe it can be done they just have to do it right.

Who told you car manufacturers will make qnx based car complaint with orange and cyborg phones?? They sell cars the F they care about supporting cyborg and orange phones what people want in their car is custom job get a grip.Other phone brands will be supported by generic blue tooth link.

RIM wont lose anything here they have qnx licensing to car manufactuers already ,now theres additions to add playbook screens.Playbooks are getting tested in Police cars in UK as I post.What this video shows is a concept of when you have a BB10 phone in a qnx powered car you get the car phone interraction.This will be a native feature for BB10 phones I aint seen any other phone do anything like that in the video.If orange and cyborg manufacturers want this interraction or be in cars.RIM will make it so they have to pay a licensing fee especially if they want their own Os working with qnx they will have to pay.RIM's in a great position its near enough calling the shots on this front.

We know damn well that orange dont like paying licensing fees so its quite funny.And well cyborg phone manufactures we dont know what they are doing but if it they want in they are gonna have to pay.Its a RIM win all round if they can get close to the video phone and car interraction thats a huge wow factor phone feature.You put in your phone schedule girlfriends bday tuesday 11 dec 2012 at mojos so and so street.Come tuesday you get in the car put your phone down car talks to you and sets up a route through sat nav and if your running late it tells your girl or whoever your running late.

SO many other scenario's Its a good look all round this car phone interraction will be a great addition and it wont stop there.Thor already hinted the bigger picture with M2M.RIM just need to keep it moving and put in the work people will catch up the s**ts chess it aint checkers .
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,458 Global Posts

Market is moving fast ... fleet management, car inspection, recall on deficiency, car manufacturers struggling under independent maintenance chains ... this has to be seen not only from the consumer side, but also from the manufacturers' one. Imagine for instance how marketing could be efficient for car makers, based on the real usage of the car : "dear Mr Randall, your scheduled maintenance is in 200 miles, do you want to set an appointment next month at the local dealer near you ?". How much would they pay for this kind of amazing competitive advantage ? say $1/month (i.e : nothing compared to current marketing costs)? Then some (very theoretical) maths : 11Million*12 = $132 million/year, for this sole usage.
    Once again, this won't make RIM fortune, but certainly add a lot of revenue ...
    I get this already from Chevy for my Equinox, and yes it's because of On Star, in addition to a monthly email regarding the condition of my vehicle, but here again I think QNX makes money on the front end with the software in my vehicle but I don't know how they would continue it, if they can it will be big help to the bottom line.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123