Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 66
Like Tree71Likes
  1. LoganSix's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    994 Posts
    #26  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly_FR View Post
    List of QNX car manufacturers ... And please remember QNX automative supports iThings and droids too

    Edited : sorry, old news .. 2006 actually
    Yes, they really should update their website.
  2. Sith_Apprentice's Avatar

    Posts
    9,737 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,739 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often
    #27  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by randall2580 View Post
    SuperFly you don't understand my point. All of those QNX goodies drive how many folks to make BB their smart phone of choice because with a BB, you get features from your car you won't get if your phone is an iPhone, or and Android or a WP. This was a very smart move on Apple's part - to give drivers functionality they won't get using another make of phone, folks with those 2 Chevy's will have an incentive to make their phone an iPhone. RIM need to leverage their presence in all of these cars you cite above as a way to drive folks to the phones, and that comes with something you get with BB10 you can't get anywhere else, like Siri in a Chevy.

    BTW Thorsten gets this. If you listen to him he says he wants BB10 partners and he wants to bring BB10 to other industries, AND says some surprises are coming after the launch of the phones, and I think this is where they will go.
    Regardless of what phone you choose, RIM is now getting money from that. That is the point. Same thing with Mobile Fusion. RIM will not ever be the only game in town, no manufacturer (even Apple) will. Its about how you can monetize the OTHER platforms while still selling your own services. Those GM vehicles, with those packages (for lack of a better term) do not guarantee the sale of an i product. They do however, guarantee some sort of sale for QNX, and RIM. While the amount is not as much as Apple makes off their devices. its something that QNX and RIM have made without any additional effort. They can they offer ADDITIONAL services through their devices because they are owning end to end. Make sense?
    Thanked by 2:
    hpjrt (11-28-2012),  TRlPPlN (11-28-2012) 
    dentynefire, hpjrt and Superfly_FR like this.
  3. Sith_Apprentice's Avatar

    Posts
    9,737 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,739 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often
    #28  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew4life View Post
    10-20 years ago they said they are working on the technology for autonomous cars and they it's being tested and sometime in the near future, we would be using autonomous cars.
    Well, it's the future now and we have most of the technology, but there are more than just technological breakthroughs that need to be made.

    If you put it on autonomous, who is to blame if you have a car accident?
    (Think back to the Toyota accelerator/brake issue where people said their car just sped up by itself)

    What about collision avoidance? Say you are about to crash into someone in front of you, do you veer left and hit a tree, or veer right and hit a person? Can a computer tell the difference?
    What about if you are stopped at a traffic light and a car is heading straight for you, can the car be smart enough to get out of the way? If you were driving, you might be paying attention, but if you weren't, that could be life or death.

    What happens when a sensor is blocked, or damaged? Or faulty?

    How many people would feel safe in a car that drives itself?

    I think the video is great and all, and I would love for this to succeed, for QNX and RIM to make it big. And even though I hate to rain on everyone's parade, reality is we're still quite far from what you see in the video. If we ever even get there.
    For automated train operations, which is 1 dimensional travel (forwards and backwards on a fixed track) there is a constant communication link between the trains and other trains or a control center, and if the link is ever broken, the whole system breaks down because you cannot guarantee that you won't collide with someone in front. It is not purely based on sensors, which is what the video alludes to.
    Jump into 2 dimensional travel (forwards and backwards and side to side, e.g. left turn, right turn, lane change) and you more than doubled the complexity.
    There are no fully automated sensor based drive systems. I'm not just talking about cars either, I'm talking about everything. The closest thing I can think of is the Mars rover which we know that there have been so many failed missions because this or that didn't work. And even Google's driverless car has only be limitedly tested.

    So that car in the video, is definitely in the very distant future.
    Your points are very spot on. Google is clearly doing very exciting things with their vehicles, but a driver MUST be present at all times and ready to take control. They have been granted drivers licenses in Nevada and I *think* California. They have hundreds of thousands of additional hours of testing before they begin even an alpha program. Then potentially millions more before it is ever released. Google also does a TON of things without them ever seeing the market, and this may very well become vaporware.
  4. kill_9's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    5,168 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts
    #29  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly_FR View Post
    I've not finished watching ... holly sheep ... Already love what I'll see !
    QNX Auto Blog: What if…

    video only :
    All the easier for the Government to track you and know where you are and where you were at every moment of every day. Besides there are enough distracted drivers on the roads today, we do not need an influx of more inept and inattentive motorists. I suppose on the positive side, when you are in an accident the police officer can interview your automobile and skip listening to your lies about what you did or did not do. Arrest -> Jail -> Court -> Prison -> Get out of jail and repeat.
  5. Sith_Apprentice's Avatar

    Posts
    9,737 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,739 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often
    #30  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BB9700CA View Post
    All the easier for the Government to track you and know where you are and where you were at every moment of every day. Besides there are enough distracted drivers on the roads today, we do not need an influx of more inept and inattentive motorists. I suppose on the positive side, when you are in an accident the police officer can interview your automobile and skip listening to your lies about what you did or did not do. Arrest -> Jail -> Court -> Prison -> Get out of jail and repeat.
    As technology becomes more a part of our lives you can easily be tracked. The only safeguard you would have is any laws in place preventing undue tracking/accessing of your devices. If you carry something with a cellular radio (phone for instance) the government can track it. Since there are hundreds of millions of devices in the US, it is severely unlikely the capability exists to track them all simultaneously, so there would have to be a reason to track yours specifically. No sense breaking out the tin foil hats anymore, the only sense would be to make the laws so that it cannot be done unless under very specific circumstances.
  6. kill_9's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    5,168 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts
    #31  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by randall2580 View Post
    Folks have generally poo pooed the speech integration and their phones but this shows how vital that is going to prove to be over time. The ability to keep you head up, eyes on the road while interacting with the services is very important...
    The technology already exists in fighter aircraft and is called heads-up display (HUD). HUD is much more useful than the system staged in the video. HUD does not distract the pilot while the in-car system in the video is highly distracting.
  7. Sith_Apprentice's Avatar

    Posts
    9,737 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,739 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often
    #32  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BB9700CA View Post
    The technology already exists in fighter aircraft and is called heads-up display (HUD). HUD is much more useful than the system staged in the video. HUD does not distract the pilot while the in-car system in the video is highly distracting.
    There are scientists and engineers working on nanotube type technology to put into the glass of your car as a type of HUD. This has been going on for years and they have been making steady (albeit slow) progress. I am not sure which system I would prefer, though both should have the capability of being turned off.
  8. Superfly_FR's Avatar

    Posts
    9,313 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,324 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey, what did you expect ?
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #33  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeo007 View Post
    When did QNX change their name?
    *blush* oops I was so excited ... but I believe most got it right Too late to change, anyway (exceptet if a mod is around ; thanks in advance)
    Join my BBM Channel : C00035FA6
    "I speak English like a Spanish Cow"
    I'm a StockBerrian, proudly holding 50 150 250 400 550 1000 BlackBerry shares
  9. mikeo007's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    4,140 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,524 Global Posts
    #34  

    Default [QXN] What your car will look in the not-so-distant future ? - DevAlpha onboard !!!

    Quote Originally Posted by BB9700CA View Post
    The technology already exists in fighter aircraft and is called heads-up display (HUD). HUD is much more useful than the system staged in the video. HUD does not distract the pilot while the in-car system in the video is highly distracting.
    I had a HUD on my 1992 Oldsmobile I loved that feature.
    Go get some apps!
    DocuShortcut - Free homescreen shortcuts
    Symptom Journal - Track medical symptoms and causes (Built For BlackBerry)
    SkinEd for Minecraft - Create and share Minecraft skins
    Sith_Apprentice likes this.
  10. Superfly_FR's Avatar

    Posts
    9,313 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,324 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey, what did you expect ?
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #35  

    Default

    Blackberry 10 OS Draws Smartphones Closer to Automotive

    The tying together of RIM’s much-delayed Blackberry 10 operating system and the software that QNX supplies carmakers to drive automotive infotainment systems has been RIM’s goal since it bought the company from Harman International. QNX’s Neutrino real-time operating system debuted in RIM’s Playbook tablets in 2011, but the company has long sought to spread the software across smartphones.
    With the expected release of QNX’s Car 2 operating system in December, RIM’s efforts to co-mingle QNX and Blackberry software will come to the forefront, QNX executives said. ...
    And then ... create an account if you want the rest of it, as required by the site (no copyright infringement wanted). Interesting infos, confirming that car2 is Webworks HTML5 based, and more. Not to mention we'll probably see some additional great things in January ... remember : deviceS !!!
    Blackberry 10 OS Draws Smartphones Closer to Automotive
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 11-28-2012 at 11:18 AM.
    Join my BBM Channel : C00035FA6
    "I speak English like a Spanish Cow"
    I'm a StockBerrian, proudly holding 50 150 250 400 550 1000 BlackBerry shares
    Thanked by:
    Sith_Apprentice (11-28-2012) 
    Sith_Apprentice likes this.
  11. RECOOL's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,495 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,496 Global Posts
    #36  

    Default

    Well this is why BB10 is not just an OS its a platform which will connect to other devices.Thorn wants to get into machine on machine connection QNX is already in so many things just need devices to connect and transfer information.

    Its about machine on machine that advert tells me the voice command is gonna be heavily worked on.
    I aint letting no car drive me I'll do that myself.
  12. TRlPPlN's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    399 Posts
    #37  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice View Post
    Regardless of what phone you choose, RIM is now getting money from that. That is the point. Same thing with Mobile Fusion. RIM will not ever be the only game in town, no manufacturer (even Apple) will. Its about how you can monetize the OTHER platforms while still selling your own services. Those GM vehicles, with those packages (for lack of a better term) do not guarantee the sale of an i product. They do however, guarantee some sort of sale for QNX, and RIM. While the amount is not as much as Apple makes off their devices. its something that QNX and RIM have made without any additional effort. They can they offer ADDITIONAL services through their devices because they are owning end to end. Make sense?
    Exactly my thoughts. It only makes sense to take such route. Why just capture the mobile handset space when you can extend to a bigger realm. RIM has the current infrastructure to support it. All they need to do really is ensure that their NOC will handle it. RIM's cloud isn't just limited to data their own NOC and DC's at this point.
    Patiently waited for BB10. Now sporting AT&T Z10
  13. calicocat2010's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,591 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,600 Global Posts
    #38  

    Default

    I bet with the autotonomous drive they would incorporate Alerts, or some kind of noise if there is something up ahead that is going in the direction of the vehicle. That way the Driver will be able to put the car in drive if there is something coming towards them.

    If there is a person crossing or jail walking, I'm sure the car would let the driver know.
    I wait for the future...to COME back to BlackBerry!
  14. maam's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    679 Posts
    #39  

    Default

    Omg!! I want! I would equip all my cars with it eh!
    Be Proud
    9700(black)-9700(white)-9790-9900(black)-9900(white)-Playbook 32/64GB/LTE-Z10(black)-Z10(white)-Q10(black)
    BlackBerry by choice
  15. DuexNoir's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    474 Posts
    #40  

    Default

    Absolutely amazing video but some of those concepts are in a very distant future...but others like the traffic, touchscreen dash with pinch-to-zoom is (or could be) here right now - as well as connectivity of your phone directly to your car and showing your calendar appointments etc.

    I really wish that concept of creating a shade on specific areas of the windshield with your fingers like that is here. Totally awesome!
    I use BB10...the blasphemy!
  16. calicocat2010's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,591 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,600 Global Posts
    #41  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DuexNoir View Post
    Absolutely amazing video but some of those concepts are in a very distant future...but others like the traffic, touchscreen dash with pinch-to-zoom is (or could be) here right now - as well as connectivity of your phone directly to your car and showing your calendar appointments etc.

    I really wish that concept of creating a shade on specific areas of the windshield with your fingers like that is here. Totally awesome!
    Lol. I kept thinking of that shade concept because the sun was in my eyes. I really imagined myself touching the air or the glass and making a circle with my finger. Lol.
    I wait for the future...to COME back to BlackBerry!
  17. Superfly_FR's Avatar

    Posts
    9,313 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,324 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey, what did you expect ?
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #42  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by calicocat2010 View Post
    Lol. I kept thinking of that shade concept because the sun was in my eyes. I really imagined myself touching the air or the glass and making a circle with my finger. Lol.
    Remember this ? If you don't, then prepare to salivate !
    Join my BBM Channel : C00035FA6
    "I speak English like a Spanish Cow"
    I'm a StockBerrian, proudly holding 50 150 250 400 550 1000 BlackBerry shares
    k-dogg likes this.
  18. calicocat2010's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,591 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,600 Global Posts
    #43  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly_FR View Post
    Remember this ? If you don't, then prepare to salivate !
    YEP, I do remember that. Thanks for re-living a great not so distant fantasy!
    I wait for the future...to COME back to BlackBerry!
  19. Lehomer's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    282 Posts
    #44  

    Default

    I am wondering ...............in a year or two (not sure of the timeframe) , when you purchase a new car , will the salesman then say ," Congratulations on your purchase, here is your Blackberry and your keys ? "( I am not sure I would even use keys anymore anyway given the chance since the Blackberry will start, lock unlock, etc etc )
    Superfly_FR likes this.
  20. calicocat2010's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,591 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,600 Global Posts
    #45  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lehomer View Post
    I am wondering ...............in a year or two (not sure of the timeframe) , when you purchase a new car , will the salesman then say ," Congratulations on your purchase, here is your Blackberry and your keys ? "( I am not sure I would even use keys anymore anyway given the chance since the Blackberry will start, lock unlock, etc etc )
    Hehehe, two BlackBerries (One you already had and a new one you received when you purchased the new car) Now that is what I call a deal!
    I wait for the future...to COME back to BlackBerry!
  21. k-dogg's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    20 Posts
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    #46  

    Default

    QNX is so amazing I can't wait for this to be real one day. You can see where RIM wants to take their platform. And superfly thanks for the video. Time to invent a time machine and travel to the future because I don't want to wait lol
  22. koolrosh's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    709 Posts
    Global Posts
    712 Global Posts
    #47  

    Default

    I stumbled upon this video as a Youtube Ad. Looks amazing!

    I don't know why they would pay to promote this on youtube, since QNX's customers are car manufacturers, but regardless QNX is doing some amazing stuff.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
  23. Superfly_FR's Avatar

    Posts
    9,313 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,324 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey, what did you expect ?
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #48  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by koolrosh View Post
    I stumbled upon this video as a Youtube Ad. Looks amazing!
    I don't know why they would pay to promote this on youtube, since QNX's customers are car manufacturers, but regardless QNX is doing some amazing stuff.
    Frank Boulben @ work. Nice move. Different buzz axes; serves both automotive customers and financial audience ("QNX = dough"). Good.
    Join my BBM Channel : C00035FA6
    "I speak English like a Spanish Cow"
    I'm a StockBerrian, proudly holding 50 150 250 400 550 1000 BlackBerry shares
  24. texazzpete's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    1,579 Posts
    #49  

    Default

    Now someone correct me if I'm wrong, but what exactly does this spin up as an 'advantage' for BB10?

    The car manufacturers will license QNX's OS for use in their vehicle infotainment units. Their main objective is to sell cars, so they'll pour more effort into making its features compatible with the market leaders...iOS, Android and then BB10 and WP.

    So basically, If a company like Toyota were to put a next-gen QNX system in their vehicle, you'll likely be able to replicate the same integration features on phones rivalling RIM's smartphones.

    Not bashing, just wondering why this stuff is being seen as a unique selling point for BB10.
  25. Superfly_FR's Avatar

    Posts
    9,313 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,324 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey, what did you expect ?
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #50  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by texazzpete View Post
    Now someone correct me if I'm wrong, but what exactly does this spin up as an 'advantage' for BB10?

    The car manufacturers will license QNX's OS for use in their vehicle infotainment units. Their main objective is to sell cars, so they'll pour more effort into making its features compatible with the market leaders...iOS, Android and then BB10 and WP.

    So basically, If a company like Toyota were to put a next-gen QNX system in their vehicle, you'll likely be able to replicate the same integration features on phones rivalling RIM's smartphones.

    Not bashing, just wondering why this stuff is being seen as a unique selling point for BB10.
    I'll say it roughly simply.
    Manufacturers (most likely equipments brands, associated to car makers) won't have to bother integrating BB10. It's core, low-level built-in.
    Join my BBM Channel : C00035FA6
    "I speak English like a Spanish Cow"
    I'm a StockBerrian, proudly holding 50 150 250 400 550 1000 BlackBerry shares
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-14-2010, 09:50 PM
  2. What processor will be in the S2?
    By sportboy in forum BlackBerry Storm2
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-26-2009, 05:15 PM
  3. [PREDICTION] : What do you think will be in the golden OS?
    By CrackBerry Storm meh in forum Storm OS Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-05-2009, 04:18 PM
  4. Let us discuss what we think will be in the App Store!!
    By rightcoastsurf in forum BlackBerry Storm
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-15-2008, 08:46 PM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-07-2007, 12:40 PM

Posting Permissions