Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Global Posts
    9,754 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey, what did you expect ?
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default [QXN] What your car will look in the not-so-distant future ? - DevAlpha onboard !!!

I've not finished watching ... holly sheep ... Already love what I'll see !
    QNX Auto Blog: What if…

video only :
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails [QXN] What your car will look in the not-so-distant future ? - DevAlpha onboard !!!-capture.png  
    Join my BBM Channel : C00035FA6
    "I speak English like a Spanish Cow"
    I'm a StockBerrian, proudly holding 50 150 250 400 550 1000 BlackBerry shares
    Thanked by 18:
    + Show/Hide list of the thanked
    00stryder (11-29-2012),  BB10FTW (11-27-2012),  itsyaboy (11-27-2012),  bungaboy (11-27-2012),  cjcampbell (11-27-2012),  dentynefire (11-27-2012),  Dirkmyer (11-27-2012),  djdnz (11-27-2012),  DuexNoir (11-28-2012),  ewakil12 (11-27-2012),  RoseBud68 (11-27-2012),  s0be (11-27-2012),  SilkySunshine (11-27-2012),  W Hoa (11-27-2012),  webmn (11-28-2012),  zyben (11-27-2012) 
    CrackBerry Addict

Per Usual, A great Find Mon Ami. This is very impressive indeed. The concepts are indeed forward thinking, I can't wait to see what they really come up with in a few more years!!
    Thanked by:
    Superfly_FR (11-27-2012) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    464 Global Posts

QXN please produce Blackberry comercials, they do not know how to showcase a product like you do.
    CrackBerry Master

Thanks very much Super, another great find! Awesome stuff Bonne Journée
    Thanked by:
    Superfly_FR (11-27-2012) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    316 Global Posts

Now that's the epitome of awesome!
    Regards,

Moolah Mitch

Z10 STL100-3/10.1.0.2354
    Playbook 16G 2.1.0.1526
    Playbook 64G 2.1.0.1526
    Banned

Thx for reminding to check QNX Blogs! Great stuff!!!! Just really refreshing
    CrackBerry Genius

Wow, Great find. Thanks for posting.
    BlackBerry Z10, PlayBook 2.1

Sent from my PC using my finger tips...
    CrackBerry Abuser

I am probably too much of a control freak to ever use autonomous drive, but the rest of that goodness is right around the corner. As Heinz pointed out, cars will be the perfect accessory to our BlackBerries. Right now, I just need BB10, but thanks for posting OP.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,332 Global Posts

Folks have generally poo pooed the speech integration and their phones but this shows how vital that is going to prove to be over time. The ability to keep you head up, eyes on the road while interacting with the services is very important and RIM/BB/QNX will need to have state of the art voice integration to compete with Apple's Siri and Google's very high quality voice recognition.

Today in fact, GM and Apple will introduce into 2 of their smaller cars, Siri integration that will allow a lot of what you see above to come to those cars.

Chevy has MyLink that already allows some integration with phones through Bluetooth but this new integration with Siri will in fact be an incentive for those who will buy those cars to buy an iPhone over others because of the added integration. Folks wanted to know where Apple's innovation is coming - well they are already in these 2 cars, its a big step forward for them.

RIM through QNX has a competing model that they will need to stay competitive, but I believe in order to compete the phones will also need to be successful. What gives incentive for GM to put Siri in their cars? I am sure GM has done market research and know that the folks likely to buy those 2 models, most likely have an iPhone already, so BB10 penetration and added services will be a requirement to get others involved with placing this technology into their cars as well. Are folks who buy an A6 or 535i likely to have an L series BB10? Gives QNX a leg up and gives incentive for those with those cars to get the added services the BB10 phone might provide. The competition is already there with today's GM/Apple announcement.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,415 Global Posts

QNX powers Chevy's MyLink, so a BB10 phone will still be better

EDIT: QNX is soo far ahead of Apple it isn't even funny. You might even say they are too late

Global Posts
    9,754 Global Posts
    PIN
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

Quote Originally Posted by randall2580 View Post
    Folks have generally poo pooed the speech integration and their phones but this shows how vital that is going to prove to be over time. The ability to keep you head up, eyes on the road while interacting with the services is very important and RIM/BB/QNX will need to have state of the art voice integration to compete with Apple's Siri and Google's very high quality voice recognition.

Today in fact, GM and Apple will introduce into 2 of their smaller cars, Siri integration that will allow a lot of what you see above to come to those cars.

Chevy has MyLink that already allows some integration with phones through Bluetooth but this new integration with Siri will in fact be an incentive for those who will buy those cars to buy an iPhone over others because of the added integration. Folks wanted to know where Apple's innovation is coming - well they are already in these 2 cars, its a big step forward for them.

RIM through QNX has a competing model that they will need to stay competitive, but I believe in order to compete the phones will also need to be successful. What gives incentive for GM to put Siri in their cars? I am sure GM has done market research and know that the folks likely to buy those 2 models, most likely have an iPhone already, so BB10 penetration and added services will be a requirement to get others involved with placing this technology into their cars as well. Are folks who buy an A6 or 535i likely to have an L series BB10? Gives QNX a leg up and gives incentive for those with those cars to get the added services the BB10 phone might provide. The competition is already there with today's GM/Apple announcement.
    List of QNX car manufacturers ... And please remember QNX automative supports iThings and droids too
    Web site Acura

HandsFreeLink, a Bluetooth-enabled, hands-free phone system, comes standard in all Acura and several Honda vehicles including the Accord, Odyssey, and Pilot. The system creates a wireless connection to mobile phones and allows drivers to make and receive calls without distracting them from the road. The quality hands-free calling experience is provided by the QNX Aviage Acoustic Processing Suite.
    Web site
    Blog entry
    Audi

The QNX-based Audi Multi Media Interface showcases QNX graphics technology on top of the solid QNX Neutrino RTOS. The MMI system connects every advanced system in the Audi A8L, Q5, and A6 vehicles, allowing drivers to control everything from DVD based navigation, through Bluetooth communications, to CD audio and satellite radio.

Web site
    BMW

Deployed in over ten BMW models (including the 7-series and M models), BMW’s QNX-based infotainment system controls a number of in-vehicle functions such as navigation, audio, iPod and MP3 player connectivity, media management, and Bluetooth hands-free.

Web site
    Chrysler

Using a combination of the QNX Neutrino RTOS and QNX Aviage Acoustic Processing, the Chrysler Pacifica UConnect offers an optional hands-free, in-vehicle communications system that places calls with Bluetooth phones and provides a clear, reliable calling experience. A microphone in the rear-view mirror accepts voice commands and allows drivers to keep their hands on the wheel and eyes on the road.

Web site
    Press release
    Daewoo

Daewoo’s VisionJoy system is an integrated navigation and information unit that relies on the QNX Neutrino RTOS for its ultra-reliable operation. The system uses a touch screen interface and GPS-enabled communications to provide drivers with services such as traffic and congestion updates, automatic route selection, and detailed 'turn-by-turn" voice directions. It is available today in the Daewoo Statesman and Winstorm.

Web site
    GM

OnStar is a subscription-based communications, monitoring, and tracking service provided by General Motors. As a standard feature in all GM vehicles for North America, it uses both the QNX® Neutrino® RTOS for guaranteed performance in emergency situations and the clear hands-free quality of the QNX Aviage® Acoustic Processing Suite.

Web site
    Press release
    Hyundai

The Hyundai Mobis MTS-1 navigation system simultaneously manages navigation, a hands-free phone module, a rear-seat entertainment screen, media-rich applications, and user controls such as window lifts, seat adjusts, and HVAC through a single, multi-functional console. The system is built on the QNX Neutrino RTOS and QNX graphics for a trouble-free user experience.

Web site
    Blog entry
    Press release
    Land Rover Range Rover

The Land Rover’s digital instrument cluster presents driver information through virtual gauges and sophisticated graphics, made reliable by the QNX Neutrino RTOS. Dynamically reconfigured for the vehicle’s operating modes, the display is provided as a standard feature in all markets worldwide.

Web site
    Porsche

The Porsche Communication Management system is a central control unit for audio, navigation and communications, featuring iPod, MP3, and USB memory stick playback, Bluetooth compatibility, GPS navigation, and more. QNX-based technology coordinates the device connectivity of the PCM system, which is operated through voice control and a large touch-screen interface.

Web site
    Saab

The 9-3 line of Saab vehicles offers an infotainment system that combines Bluetooth, navigation and connection to MOST, provides full navigation and turn-by-turn driving display, and supports an RDS receiver, CD changer, and mobile phone. Saab’s tier one supplier chose QNX Software Systems as the OS provider because of our reliable track record of in-vehicle installations.

Press release
    Web site
    Renault Samsung

The Renault-Samsung 3D infotainment system provides the SM7 with a variety of services, including navigation with traffic updates, air conditioning, car audio, gas mileage, engine control unit monitoring, DMB broadcast, MP3, WMA, and video playback, as well as rear-seat entertainment. This amazing combination of capabilities is based on the QNX Neutrino RTOS.

Hey, Renault is a new entry in that list ... wowowowow ... did I read SAMSUNG along ? oh my ... wana talk about licensing ?
    Edited : sorry, old news .. 2006 actually
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 11-27-2012 at 12:50 PM.
    Thanked by 5:
    00stryder (11-29-2012),  kemj (11-27-2012),  Knightcrawler (11-27-2012),  steve911 (11-27-2012) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Great Video, Hope to see it sooner rather than later
    CrackBerry Abuser

Changes in laws are shaping this integration as well. It is likely that not only texting, but holding and using a mobile device will be illegal at some point. RIM does have an advantage in owning QNX and hopefully they can make the most of it. It is much like the political world; it is not so much facts but perceptions that drive voting decisions. Same with consumerism. It does appear under new management RIM totally gets this, although I will feel better when I start to see some first class advertising roll out. It is expensive, but they sure need to invest in public perception.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Cool video. I'm quite curious what RIM & QNX will bring to the automotive industry. I guess will see pretty soon what some of Thorsten Heins' vision will be!
    Superfly_FR likes this.

Global Posts
    9,754 Global Posts
    PIN
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  

Quote Originally Posted by BigAssBitchin View Post
    Cool video. I'm quite curious what RIM & QNX will bring to the automotive industry. I guess will see pretty soon what some of Thorsten Heins' vision will be!
    yessir around the 30th of January, hopefully
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,332 Global Posts

SuperFly you don't understand my point. All of those QNX goodies drive how many folks to make BB their smart phone of choice because with a BB, you get features from your car you won't get if your phone is an iPhone, or and Android or a WP. This was a very smart move on Apple's part - to give drivers functionality they won't get using another make of phone, folks with those 2 Chevy's will have an incentive to make their phone an iPhone. RIM need to leverage their presence in all of these cars you cite above as a way to drive folks to the phones, and that comes with something you get with BB10 you can't get anywhere else, like Siri in a Chevy.

BTW Thorsten gets this. If you listen to him he says he wants BB10 partners and he wants to bring BB10 to other industries, AND says some surprises are coming after the launch of the phones, and I think this is where they will go.
    Thanked by:
    Superfly_FR (11-27-2012) 
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,332 Global Posts

Dentynefire - QNX powers a lot of cars, I get it. But what is MyLink doing in a Chevy that makes you want to have a BB10 phone? That's my point, to be able to tell me something a BB10 phone does with the MyLink to "still be better". Right now if I have one of those 2 cars and an iPhone, I get something someone with a 9900 doesn't get. That's my point. Use QNX's presence there and a BB10 phone and you get ....when you can fill in the blank (and I think that's coming soon as I said to Superfly Thorsten has been hinting at this for a long time if you listen to what he says), then QNX's presence in the car brings a customer to BB.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    CrackBerry User

OMG!! I just shed a tear - a manly tear. That is insane!!!!! WOW!!! I loved the translation feature and the selective tinting of the windshield!! I loved everything!!! Thanks OP!!!

Global Posts
    9,754 Global Posts
    PIN
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  

Quote Originally Posted by randall2580 View Post
    SuperFly you don't understand my point. All of those QNX goodies drive how many folks to make BB their smart phone of choice because with a BB, you get features from your car you won't get if your phone is an iPhone, or and Android or a WP. This was a very smart move on Apple's part - to give drivers functionality they won't get using another make of phone, folks with those 2 Chevy's will have an incentive to make their phone an iPhone. RIM need to leverage their presence in all of these cars you cite above as a way to drive folks to the phones, and that comes with something you get with BB10 you can't get anywhere else, like Siri in a Chevy.

BTW Thorsten gets this. If you listen to him he says he wants BB10 partners and he wants to bring BB10 to other industries, AND says some surprises are coming after the launch of the phones, and I think this is where they will go.
    I did understand. but Siri is only siri and until it becomes something you can rely on, I don"t see the point, unless Siri is only another voice recognition system (I mean not "intelligent").
    As well, QNX system is in the core of several cars, not only about navigation or music, but also for engine control and vital security measures.
    I believe BB10 devices will just match perfectly. I think this is the most accurate way to describe devices interaction. No Show, you just put your device on a NFC slot and that's it. It's part of the car.
    You're Batman ... and you hear the Joker rant :"But where does he get all these toys ?"
    Thanked by 2:
    kmcobra64 (11-28-2012) 
    randall2580 and alan510 like this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,764 Global Posts

[QXN] What your car will look in the not-so-distant future ? - DevAlpha onboard !!!
    When did QNX change their name?
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,332 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Superfly_FR View Post
    I did understand. but Siri is only siri and until it becomes something you can rely on, I don"t see the point, unless Siri is only another voice recognition system (I mean not "intelligent").
    As well, QNX system is in the core of several cars, not only about navigation or music, but also for engine control and vital security measures.
    I believe BB10 devices will just match perfectly. I think this is the most accurate way to describe devices interaction. No Show, you just put your device on a NFC slot and that's it. It's part of the car.
    You're Batman ... and you hear the Joker rant :"But where does he get all these toys ?"
    Many of those things in the video above Google Now and/or Siri already do. Yes both are not perfect, a long way from it. But you only get there by working on it, and the sooner the better.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    593 Global Posts

That felt like there was a bit of TAT concept in there. Anyways, Apple is going into Auto as soon as 2013 with Siri-Free, I hope QNX can show how much more they can do.
    CrackBerry Abuser

QNX is pushing for HTML5. in regards to QNX proving what they can do vs. Siri? there isn't a comparison. QNX is already adopted by automakers. IOS and Android may have apps to connect with your car but i firmly believe there will be a deeper integration with BB10 and QNX operated cars.
    Patiently waited for BB10. Now sporting AT&T Z10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,732 Global Posts

WOW!!!! I cannot wait for the future when all of this comes to Every car manufacturer.
    I wait for the future...to COME back to BlackBerry!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,757 Global Posts

10-20 years ago they said they are working on the technology for autonomous cars and they it's being tested and sometime in the near future, we would be using autonomous cars.
    Well, it's the future now and we have most of the technology, but there are more than just technological breakthroughs that need to be made.

If you put it on autonomous, who is to blame if you have a car accident?
    (Think back to the Toyota accelerator/brake issue where people said their car just sped up by itself)

What about collision avoidance? Say you are about to crash into someone in front of you, do you veer left and hit a tree, or veer right and hit a person? Can a computer tell the difference?
    What about if you are stopped at a traffic light and a car is heading straight for you, can the car be smart enough to get out of the way? If you were driving, you might be paying attention, but if you weren't, that could be life or death.

What happens when a sensor is blocked, or damaged? Or faulty?

How many people would feel safe in a car that drives itself?

I think the video is great and all, and I would love for this to succeed, for QNX and RIM to make it big. And even though I hate to rain on everyone's parade, reality is we're still quite far from what you see in the video. If we ever even get there.
    For automated train operations, which is 1 dimensional travel (forwards and backwards on a fixed track) there is a constant communication link between the trains and other trains or a control center, and if the link is ever broken, the whole system breaks down because you cannot guarantee that you won't collide with someone in front. It is not purely based on sensors, which is what the video alludes to.
    Jump into 2 dimensional travel (forwards and backwards and side to side, e.g. left turn, right turn, lane change) and you more than doubled the complexity.
    There are no fully automated sensor based drive systems. I'm not just talking about cars either, I'm talking about everything. The closest thing I can think of is the Mars rover which we know that there have been so many failed missions because this or that didn't work. And even Google's driverless car has only be limitedly tested.

So that car in the video, is definitely in the very distant future.
    Thanked by:
    Superfly_FR (11-28-2012) 
    Sith_Apprentice likes this.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast