Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    Me
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Poynt files for bankruptcy...

One of my fav apps too... More unfortunate news.

Press release
    CrackBerry Geek

Global Posts
    26,607 Global Posts

I am really surprised and never would have guessed the company had financial issues, since the app is available for all mobile platforms.
    CrackBerry Genius

Wow that was one of the big apps too I see. I have used that.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    233 Global Posts

sorry o see that happen.....maybe not enough ads? hope they find a way to recover
    Banned

Perhaps it's becoming evident to the general public that apps just aren't neccessities ... especially in this economy.
    daveycrocket likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    Me
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

It seems they have a hard time monetizing the app, in spite of the large install base. I've used their app on both my Bold and PB... its a great lil app too.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN

Damn I liked that app..sorry to see it end up bankrupt.
    [B]Real BlackBerry Phones Have Real Keyboards
    Q10 the finest BlackBerry
    CrackBerry Geek

Global Posts
    26,607 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Virmaline View Post
    Perhaps it's becoming evident to the general public that apps just aren't neccessities ... especially in this economy.
    Quote Originally Posted by glennster28 View Post
    It seems they have a hard time monetizing the app, in spite of the large install base. I've used their app on both my Bold and PB... its a great lil app too.
    glennster28, that's what I'm thinking.

Virmaline, it's a free app, so it wouldn't cause any financial hardship to the users who install it.
    CrackBerry Addict

tried to buy movie tickets with it, not available....
    Jobs: the apps nazi
    CrackBerry Addict

they really pushed the BB version of this app, since they had more exposure compared to other app stores, likely due to large number of apps. Now BB has been bleeding customers in NA.....
    Jobs: the apps nazi
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    glennster28, that's what I'm thinking.

Virmaline, it's a free app, so it wouldn't cause any financial hardship to the users who install it.
    I wonder how they were monetizing themselves then? I always figured it was through search results.

I any case it is a shame great app is in trouble. One of the best featured apps I ever used from movie searches to free reverse look up phone numbers. It was just awesome.
    CrackBerry Geek

Global Posts
    26,607 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Foreverup View Post
    I wonder how they were monetizing themselves then? I always figured it was through search results.

I any case it is a shame great app is in trouble. One of the best featured apps I ever used from movie searches to free reverse look up phone numbers. It was just awesome.
    My guess is they got paid when users bought the "offers nearby". I've never purchased any of those restaurant/hotel offers I've seen on Poynt.

If, indeed, that was how Poynt got paid, there is too much competition with Groupon/Foursquare and other companies that sell coupons or have offers.
    CrackBerry Genius

My guess is they got paid when users bought the "offers nearby". I've never purchased any of those restaurant/hotel offers I've seen on Poynt.

If, indeed, that was how Poynt got paid, there is too much competition with Groupon/Foursquare and other companies that sell coupons or have offers.
    I'm with you never clicked those once.

Guess they should of used ads. Would not of bothered me to ignore a little ad at the bottom of the screen

DAMN!!!! I love Poynt. It's one of my must-have apps when I travel. Sadness....
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons; dragonslayers are crunchy, and good with ketchup
    LuisCast likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

So... delete the app and find a replacement or keep the app and not get updates?
    CrackBerry Geek

Global Posts
    26,607 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kingbernie06511 View Post
    they really pushed the BB version of this app, since they had more exposure compared to other app stores, likely due to large number of apps. Now BB has been bleeding customers in NA.....
    It's available for all platforms. I recommended it to friends who have iPhones/Androids, and I installed it on my Windows Phone.

I don't think the decline of Poynt has much to do with decline of BlackBerry users, since folks who switch to another platform can still use Poynt.
    CrackBerry Genius

One of the Best Apps on both by BlackBerry and my PlayBook.

If RIM weren't in such bad shape, I'd say they ought to buy them...
    CrackBerry Geek

Global Posts
    26,607 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tai888 View Post
    So... delete the app and find a replacement or keep the app and not get updates?
    I'd suggest keeping it for now. You can always explore other options and try some other apps. Perhaps you could even start a thread in the BlackBerry Apps forum and ask people if they know of any good apps that are similar to Poynt.
    CrackBerry Genius

It's available for all platforms. I recommended it to friends who have iPhones/Androids, and I installed it on my Windows Phone.

I don't think the decline of Poynt has much to do with decline of BlackBerry users, since folks who switch to another platform can still use Poynt.
    Except other platforms didn't need Poynt like BlackBerry did. They had most of the same information lookup built into their OS.
    CrackBerry Geek

Global Posts
    26,607 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scalemaster34 View Post
    Except other platforms didn't need Poynt like BlackBerry did. They had most of the same information lookup built into their OS.
    I understand what you're saying now. It is true that Bing Local Search provides much of the same functionality as Poynt.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by scalemaster34 View Post
    You can just use universal search on BB and get about 90%of the info in Poynt.
    Laura Knotek likes this.

Global Posts
    5,283 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6927F7

People, just because a company has filed for bankruptcy doesn't mean they are immediately going out of business. It's not impossible that Poynt can negotiate with its creditors and find a way to restructure that lets them keep operating.
    wu-wei, jafobabe and peter9477 like this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,912 Global Posts

Anyone remember during BB World someone from Poynt came on stage and talked a little bit. This is a little unexpected.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    943 Global Posts

I'll repeat what I said in the comments on the article.

This app was complete and utter crap. If you put out a terrible product you will go under. Not surprised by this in the least and really, good riddance.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast