Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,355 Global Posts
    PIN
    @getdjmac

Default Re: Over 50 carriers testing BlackBerry 10 now

Quote Originally Posted by abwan11 View Post
    I have heard testing can take 8 weeks or more, any insight?
    Chris Umi stated in a bloomberg article today it could take 60 to 90 days, on another note that RIM hateing analyst at Jefferies says 3 to 6 months. But he previously stated no BB10 until March, now he has to back fill his statements.
    Thanked by:
    Superfly_FR (11-01-2012) 

Global Posts
    10,025 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey, what did you expect ?

And also Bloomberg : RIM Begins BlackBerry 10 Lab Tests With Over 50 Carriers - Bloomberg

Hey, who made the news too ?
    Carrier testing typically takes 60 to 90 days, which means that RIM “should have no trouble making its first-quarter deadline,” said Chris Umiastowski, an independent technology consultant who tracks the company. Ninety days from today would put the release in the late-January time frame.
    Join my BBM Channel : C00035FA6
    "I speak English like a Spanish Cow"
    I'm a StockBerrian, proudly holding 50 150 250 400 550 1000 BlackBerry shares

Global Posts
    10,025 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey, what did you expect ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper37 View Post
    Chris Umi stated in a bloomberg article today it could take 6 to 12 weeks, on another note that RIM hateing analist at Jefferies says 3 to 6 months. But he previously stated no BB10 until March, now he has to back fill his statements.
    oops ... I'm late ... well I'll leave the link+quote lol.
    Join my BBM Channel : C00035FA6
    "I speak English like a Spanish Cow"
    I'm a StockBerrian, proudly holding 50 150 250 400 550 1000 BlackBerry shares
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,355 Global Posts
    PIN
    @getdjmac

Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    I know for a fact that Rogers is too.
    G&M stated today that Bell is one of the testers in Canada!!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,355 Global Posts
    PIN
    @getdjmac

Quote Originally Posted by Superfly_FR View Post
    oops ... I'm late ... well I'll leave the link+quote lol.
    A tad late but correct! he did say 60 to 90 days. I changed my original post. Thanks
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,355 Global Posts
    PIN
    @getdjmac

I would have thunk with all the wp8 talk here we might have heard MS was going through carrier testing, I didn't hear anything yet they launch next month???
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,267 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B630F1E

Microsoft don't have to do carrier testing. They do it themselves in house like Apple.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,267 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B630F1E

I'd actually be a lot more comfortable if I knew which carriers were testing. Here in Australia, the biggest youth/growth carrier is Virgin Mobile. They do not sell Blackberry at all! You can't even buy one outright and put it on their network. Crazy.
    CrackBerry Addict

Default Over 50 carriers testing BlackBerry 10 now

Quote Originally Posted by Masahiro View Post
    I hope I made the right choice in switching over to Fido (from Rogers)...
    Rogers owns Fido but you won't see BlackBerry 10 on Fido for awhile.

You'll have to buy the phone yourself and unlock it in order to use it on Fido.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Addict

It looks like Rogers, Bell & Telus are the only Canadian carriers that are currently testing BlackBerry 10.

CrackBerry Master

Thread AuthorThread Author   #36  

Quote Originally Posted by kevinnugent View Post
    Microsoft don't have to do carrier testing. They do it themselves in house like Apple.
    no not Microsoft since Carriers doesn't deal with Microsoft directly but deal with companies who makes Windows phones, a lot of the Windows 8 phones were shown testing in the field.

Carrier Testing | wpnow | Aggregated Windows Phone News, Reviews, Apps, Games, Concepts
    CrackBerry Master

Rogers owns Fido but you won't see BlackBerry 10 on Fido for awhile.

You'll have to buy the phone yourself and unlock it in order to use it on Fido.

Is that a fact? That's another reason for me to drop them. They've always had a meagre selection of phones. Though I think they do have the bold and iPhone 5. The only reason they got anywhere was because of City Fido.
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by twstd.reality View Post
    Is that a fact? That's another reason for me to drop them. They've always had a meagre selection of phones. Though I think they do have the bold and iPhone 5. The only reason they got anywhere was because of City Fido.
    Rogers has 3 Wireless Brands, Rogers, Fido & Chatr.

Rogers is the premium brand.
    Fido is the mid tier brand.
    Chatr is the value brand.

Bell and Telus share a network and Bell also has the Solo value brand.

If you're in Canada and you Don't want to buy the BlackBerry 10 phone outright then you'll initially have to go with one of Rogers, Bell or Telus.

Rogers does have the first/biggest/best LTE Network in Canada so I'll be sticking with them.

Plus I've been eligible for an upgrade for months.

Thanked by:
    twstd.reality (11-04-2012) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,908 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by abwan11 View Post
    I have heard testing can take 8 weeks or more, any insight?
    The Playbook (finally!) got OS2.1 at the beginning of October... all except the 4GPB version which had to await carrier testing on the OS. So, as a guide to how long the BB10 carrier testing will take, I guess you can see how much longer it takes the 4GPB to get OS2.1.
    Proud Member of the PlayBook Beta Test Team (Since June 2011)

CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper37 View Post
    A tad late but correct! he did say 60 to 90 days. I changed my original post. Thanks
    Are we sure that it will take that long?
    In fact, one of my friends who is a marketing strategic consultant, has already asked to submit marketing campaign proposal to RIM within next week.

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5
    sent from anywhere
    @isatbb@isatbbplg
    #mybb10
    #BB10Believe
    Blog: bb10believe.blogspot.com

HONK! IF YOU WANT BLACKBERRY 10

9380, Black and White Z10, LG Nexus 4, Nokia Lumia 520
    alan510 likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by JeepBB View Post
    The Playbook (finally!) got OS2.1 at the beginning of October... all except the 4GPB version which had to await carrier testing on the OS. So, as a guide to how long the BB10 carrier testing will take, I guess you can see how much longer it takes the 4GPB to get OS2.1.
    How long it takes really depends on the Carrier.

CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    993 Global Posts

It's a completely new os so who knows how long it could take. It could go really well or really bad. I don't know the details of what they go through but I would imagine they are pretty thorough with a new os. In this case, I'm dying for it to go quick and have a mid January release!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    421 Global Posts

Any shot Verizon will be releasing BB10 devices at launch? I figure AT&T is probably testing, but you never know with Verizon. I would like to stay with Verizon, but of the N series is the phone I hope it is, I will head back to AT&T if necessary.

--Posted via Tapatalk--
    CrackBerry User

I got a chance to play with one of the phones being tested by a Canadian carrier earlier this week. It was pretty nice. I was so surprised though that I forgot to check a bunch of things; I was too star struck. I liked it. Front is like the playbook but the back is very textured. The swipe gestures work well once the case is removed although there seemed to be two versions of "peek" and I'm not sure how I would get one or the other. The maps looked nice, the browser was really fast. Didn't think to try opening App World, didn't look for skype didn't check for video BBM etc. etc.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,775 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slowrvr View Post
    I got a chance to play with one of the phones being tested by a Canadian carrier earlier this week. It was pretty nice. I was so surprised though that I forgot to check a bunch of things; I was too star struck. I liked it. Front is like the playbook but the back is very textured. The swipe gestures work well once the case is removed although there seemed to be two versions of "peek" and I'm not sure how I would get one or the other. The maps looked nice, the browser was really fast. Didn't think to try opening App World, didn't look for skype didn't check for video BBM etc. etc.
    Maybe you should make this your own thread because I am sure a Lot of people would want to comment on this. That way they won't be having to look through X amount of These thread pages just for your Comment.
    I wait for the future...to COME back to BlackBerry!
    raino likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by calicocat2010 View Post
    Maybe you should make this your own thread because I am sure a Lot of people would want to comment on this. That way they won't be having to look through X amount of These thread pages just for your Comment.
    Yeah that's probably a good idea.

Global Posts
    6,458 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6927F7

It looks like Rogers, Bell & Telus are the only Canadian carriers that are currently testing BlackBerry 10.

Between the three of them they own almost all of the other brands in Canada. Bell owns Solo and Virgin, Telus operates Koodo, and Rogers has Fido. About the only carrier that operates independently is Wind, and it's not completely out of the question that they're another one of the "50+" carriers testing right now.
    CrackBerry Genius

By Iain Marlow Of THE GLOBE AND MAIL
    TORONTO (Globe and Mail)--
    Research In Motion Ltd.'s (RIM.T, RIMM) plan to reinvent the BlackBerry is marching ahead and, suddenly, so is its stock price.
    The company's battered shares jumped more than 10% Thursday on the news this week that its upcoming BlackBerry 10 phones have entered lab testing with 50 wireless carriers around the world. The stock ended the day at C$8.68 in Toronto, up 80 cents--its highest closing level in more than four months.
    These phones, which are due out in early 2013 after numerous delays, are crucial to RIM's turnaround strategy--designed to be the high-end phone that finally stops BlackBerry users from switching to Apple Inc.'s (AAPL) iPhone and smartphones running Google Inc.'s (GOOG) Android software.
    Lab testing is done to assure wireless carriers such as BCE Inc.'s (BCE, BCE.T) Bell Mobility that devices are fully compatible with their wireless networks and will work for customers out of the box. It wasn't surprising that RIM's devices would enter carrier testing around this time, given the preannounced launch date.
    But previous delays of the devices, which were often announced within grim financial results, had shaken investors' faith in the company's ability to deliver a competitive product. Now that RIM's new phones have entered lab testing, the market seems to think that it is unlikely it can drop another bombshell delay that puts its future in doubt. "I think many are coming to the realization that not every carrier has abandoned them yet," says Richard Tse, a technology analyst with Cormark Securities Inc. "While we're not saying it's going to work for sure, they have a shot--something I couldn't have said six months ago."
    Up until recently, RIM endured an endless barrage of terrible news: Large corporations and government departments, particularly in the U.S., continue to switch to iPhone and Android; market share collapsed in important developed markets; and quarterly results have gotten progressively worse. RIM shares are down about 95% from their peak in 2008.
    Although few analysts expect some sort of dramatic reclaiming of market share when BlackBerry 10 launches, some on Bay Street have begun to look a bit more positively on the stock. Other analysts upgraded the stock after RIM's recent earnings report, when it became more clear that RIM's new CEO Thorsten Heins was delivering on promises, had the company on a steady path and that RIM--despite its challenges--could be undervalued. Kris Thompson, an analyst at National Bank Financial who has been bearish on RIM in the past, said the lab testing announcement "is one of the near-term positive catalysts that we've been expecting to support our short-term trade idea to buy this stock ahead of commercial availability" of the devices. Cormark's Mr. Tse, meanwhile, says RIM has a "viable shot" at launching the devices next year while being able to hold onto its cash balance. Mr. Heins, in a statement on Wednesday, said testing will be going on at more than just those first 50 wireless companies, as RIM prepares for a global rollout that will see BlackBerry 10 launch in both developed and emerging markets. "This process will continue in the coming months as more carriers around the world formally evaluate the devices and our brand new software," Mr. Heins said. "Our (application) developer teams are continuing to generate momentum to bring a wealth of applications to BlackBerry 10, our enterprise teams have started to present BlackBerry 10 devices and services to our business customers, and our engineers are fully mobilized to ensure that BlackBerry 10 launches flawlessly in the first quarter of 2013."
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbuck View Post
    Between the three of them they own almost all of the other brands in Canada. Bell owns Solo and Virgin, Telus operates Koodo, and Rogers has Fido. About the only carrier that operates independently is Wind, and it's not completely out of the question that they're another one of the "50+" carriers testing right now.
    From what I've been told Rogers, Telus & Bell will be the only ones that will have BlackBerry at launch in Canada.

CrackBerry Genius

Where does FCC approval fall in all this? Realizing that this is a U.S. thing, in the past, we've seen FCC documents that approve various BBs within weeks (or less) of carrier announcements in the U.S.

Not one to follow Apple, WP and Android phones, are there similar approvals for those from the FCC just prior to launch, too? I never hear of it.

Joel
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast