Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Time Lord

Global Posts
    10,364 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Outage Postponed

for more info...

KSDK NewsChannel 5 - DPS Director Thanks RIM for Rescheduling BlackBerry Updates

for the lazy and ppl just needing quick info

"Several flooding rivers in the St. Louis and eastern Missouri are scheduled to be at their record peak at the same time of the scheduled outage. Many first responders and emergency management officials who are feverishly working to protect citizens from the record flooding rely on their "BlackBerry" devices for critical communications. Missouri Homeland Security officials requested RIM to postpone the scheduled outage late Friday afternoon."
    “There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”

[ Mobile Nations Sites: Android, iOS, Windows Phone, BlackBerry, Smartwatch Fans]
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,958 Global Posts
    PIN
    ...I heard it drop!!

Wow, and here I thought I slept thru it......

You can call me Trixie for short...
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,734 Global Posts

Very good job on RIM's part. This could have been very bad. And the the Home Land office.
    @SinCityMac on Twitter
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    67 Global Posts

Once again I am not impressed with Homeland Security.

Do they rely on their BBs that much? If there was a real crisis it is quit possible that they would not be about to communicate each other with their BBs.

During the Northeast Blackout of 2003 my cell phone did not work. Nor did a lot of my comms links at our office. I had to send e-mail out to out clients via a dial-up line.

On 911, here in the tri-state area, cell phone networks were jammed and in most cases unusable.

I would hope that Homeland Security has some sort of work arround for outages because when the **** hits the fan they might not be able to make a call over to RIM for a solution.

drg1138
    Former Rock Star

Global Posts
    5,376 Global Posts
    PIN
    Na Fo Fo Na Fa Fo Fo

safe for another day.
    cate
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    634 Global Posts
    PIN
    Check BB exchange

lol thats the stupidest thing I ever heard... seriously if we're that reliant on bb's at that time in the morning you need to find a new service. what the **** are they doing?
  7. jhard

Why am I subject to a delay with the outage of service I pay for because some people I don't know or care about might die?

Shouldn't the government have it's own independent services that aren't reliant on something that's being sold as a consumer product?
    Last edited by jhard; 03-22-2008 at 11:53 PM.
    CrackBerry User

Old fashioned pagers still do the trick and were a part of the 911 commission findings. They worked during the 911 tragedy and were one of the first things back up after Katrina.

Global Posts
    19,860 Global Posts
    PIN
    Point Accuracy

I was here saying that it didn't effect me at all...

Also RIM outage doesn't mean cell service outage. Doesn't the phone part still work? For emergencies, they email one another?
    CrackBerry.com Mod | Retired Android Central Mod | Tech Enthusiast
    Forum Guidelines | MarketPlace Guidelines
    My Twitter | The Genesis Blog
    My Marketplace Feedback
    CrackBerry User

True that =)
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    PIN
    26297e5a

I was hoping I was unaffected by the outage!!!
    "In the temple of his spirit, each man is alone"
    -Ayn Rand
    PING ME!!! OH YEA!! 2379f40e NEW PIN
    CrackBerry Genius

They email each other in these emergencies?
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    Ball Wizard!!!

"Fill those sandbags!!! The water is about to break through!!!"

"Hold on, Sir!. I gotta have both hands to finish this Txt message!!"
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    PIN
    21DA38F3

Quote Originally Posted by jhard View Post
    Why am I subject to a delay with the outage of service I pay for because some people I don't know or care about might die?
    A little narcissistic - aren't we?

Glad to see the human spirit is alive and well
  15. jhard

Quote Originally Posted by wxboss View Post
    A little narcissistic - aren't we?

Glad to see the human spirit is alive and well
    Actually, If you would have thought long and hard about the "human spirit" you would see true human nature is to disregard others plights in favour of their own... save for the Mother Teresa types, no one really cares in my opinion.

While not a victim of a natural disaster, I'm confident those same people would not lose a blink of sleep over me if our roles were reversed.

I leave you with this quote:

"It's a cold world, put on your jacket..."
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    PIN
    21DA38F3

And a quote to you sir from a fairly famous American, Benjamin Franklin:
    "A man wrapped up in himself makes a very small bundle."

We should always be sensitive to the plight of others - lest they become our own.

Global Posts
    10,254 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me. :)

During the early stages, berries were used by some during Katrina to text for supplies. SAT phones were not in abundance. Also, prior to that, berries were used during the Shuttle Recovery in East Texas. Working with Emergency Responses before, during, and after the event, I've seen a lot of suffering 20 years in the environmental field that I would not wish on my worse enemy or his family. Two thing I've learned about forums: 1. Everyone has an opinion- whether good or bad. 2. No one thinks more about your opinion than "you" do.
    Yes, Anger Management does work. 5th time is the charm.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    256 Global Posts
    PIN
    2449495F

Quote Originally Posted by Blacklatino View Post
    During the early stages, berries were used by some during Katrina to text for supplies. SAT phones were not in abundance. Also, prior to that, berries were used during the Shuttle Recovery in East Texas. Working with Emergency Responses before, during, and after the event, I've seen a lot of suffering 20 years in the environmental field that I would not wish on my worse enemy or his family. Two thing I've learned about forums: 1. Everyone has an opinion- whether good or bad. 2. No one thinks more about your opinion than "you" do.
    Well said!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jhard View Post

Those of us that live in Missouri are so sorry to trouble you. We will request next time to ignore those in need and concentrate more on the self centered.
    Stephen
    BBerry 9700
    AT&T
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    PIN
    21DA38F3

OK, I think we've all said our peace - time to get back to BB love
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    17 Global Posts

I, for one, am appalled by such a callous attitude. People are upset because RIM acted in a responsible way that might possibly have helped save lives. Not definitely, but possibly and for me, that possibility is enough and I applaud their action. Mother Teresa I'm not, but I can only see benefit in corporations acting as responsible citizens. What I can't figure is why in the world you care if you don't care. There was NO outage and that is upsetting?

I will never be able to understand many that share this planet with me.
    CrackBerry User

Agreed ! Our thoughts are with you Missouri and the the folks from the Gulf Coast.

We should all be concerned on a global scale of these events and how we as communites are prepared to handle disasters. Communications is a major factor in emergency coordination. Backup plans must be in place for the what if ??

The most important 2nd step is recovery. I've spent some time in Biloxi, MS and you would not believe the amount of destruction still there. Its so shocking to see the devistation so far inland this long after the storm. I feel, we as a country have let these people down.

DONT FORGET TO VOTE!!

Global warming is happening all around us and storms are rapidly increasing in their intensity. If you've not experienced this for yourself possibly the only Vinyl you've seen is on the side of the house =)

PEACE and SHARE THE LOVE!
    CrackBerry Newbie

AT&T and Tmobile, being that they are GSM/GPRS, have a dedicated data channel, so in times of emergency when the cell phone towers are bogged down, their PIN's and emails still go through very quickly, allowing them to respond effectively to emergencies. Even if their Email servers are affected by such an emergency PIN messaging will still work without interruption despite bogged cell towers.

To suggest the BlackBerry solution is a "consumer" or ineffective form of communication during times of crisis clearly don't understand the benefits of GSM and PIN messaging.
    CrackBerry User

Yes, you are correct however they were talking about losing service during the pending RIM outage. I'm not sure if that would be true during that type of outage but do know that the phone side would work during this time although PIN messaging and email messaging would be delayed. This is my understanding, correct me if I am wrong.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Yah during the scheduled outage the data portion wouldn't have worked regardless of tower congestion. It is a great solution for Emergency response but unfortunately it is dependent on RIM's NOC to be up at all times, so I guess my original post was a moot point!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast