Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes
    Retired Mod

PIN
    PIN:ky Tuscadero
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Open letter from CEO John Chen

This may have been posted in the Blogs but I am posting it here for anyone who hasn't seen it. Of course if it is posted in the Forums Mods feel free to close this.

We're in This for the Long Haul, Says BlackBerry CEO - John Paczkowski - Mobile - AllThingsD

To our BlackBerry Community,
    As you know, this is a time of significant change at BlackBerry as we accelerate our efforts to transform our business.
    I know there has been a lot said about BlackBerry, but let me remind you that at BlackBerry, we are not dwelling on the past. We are looking towards the future.

We Are Committed to Reclaiming our Success

We have begun moving the company to embrace a multi-platform, BYOD world by adopting a new mobility management platform and a new device strategy. We are also leveraging our tremendous assets, including BBM, our network and QNX. While we are proud of these accomplishments, we know there is more work to be done.
    I know that it’s going to take time, discipline and tough decisions to reclaim BlackBerry’s success and we are ready for that challenge.

Our Commitment to our Customers Remains Unchanged

We remain committed to delivering high quality products and services to the millions of people who rely on us globally. We also want our customers to know that BlackBerry has significant financial strength for the long-haul.
    I believe in the value of this brand. With the right team and right strategy in place, I am confident that we will rebuild BlackBerry for the benefit of all of our constituencies.

We are Excited for the Future and you Should Be Too
    Thank you for your strong support and continued commitment.

Sincerely,
    John S. Chen
    Executive Chair and CEO
    Thanked by:
    h20work (11-13-13) 
    Banned

Global Posts
    21,898 Global Posts
    PIN
    nahhhhh.....

oh lordy here we go....hope goes up, hope goes down, CEOs give pep talks, CEOs give good bye speeches. Frankly, I don't believe anyone at BlackBerry with the acronym CEO behind his name.
    Thanked by 4:
    Bold_until_Hybrid_Comes (11-13-13),  kevinnugent (11-14-13),  anon1727506 (11-13-13) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,215 Global Posts

Ctrl-F "mobile computing"

0 results.

+1 to John Chen for refusing to continue Thorsten's vague BS.
    JeepBB and Djlatino like this.
    CrackBerry Addict

I have faith in him. With his software background and lots of experience in technology, he will come out with a well fitted operating system for bb10
    Retired Mod

PIN
    PIN:ky Tuscadero
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Quote Originally Posted by qbnkelt View Post
    oh lordy here we go....hope goes up, hope goes down, CEOs give pep talks, CEOs give good bye speeches. Frankly, I don't believe anyone at BlackBerry with the acronym CEO behind his name.
    I know how you feel but for now I give him the benefit of the doubt.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,161 Global Posts

After our experience with Heins, I'm being cautiously optimistic about Chen - he looks like he has what it takes to turn this ship around, but I'm going to reserve judgement until we start seeing some major decisions from him.
    Passport (10.3.2.680) | iPhone 6 (8.3) | Lumia 1020 (WP8.1 GDR1, Lumia Denim) | Surface Pro 3 (256GB i5, W8.1)
    CrackBerry User

I do have faith too. Just hope he has enough time to turn things around, otherwise BBRY will be gone. Clock is ticking, earnings call will be sour, time is running wildly.
    Banned

Global Posts
    21,898 Global Posts
    PIN
    nahhhhh.....

Quote Originally Posted by amazinglygraceless View Post
    I know how you feel but for now I give him the benefit of the doubt.
    I don't know, love. I don't know.

I'm giving more attention to other areas of my life at the moment. For the last week or so.
  9. cgk
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    7,868 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TOfinest View Post
    I have faith in him. With his software background and lots of experience in technology, he will come out with a well fitted operating system for bb10
    An operating system so important that he doesn't actually mention it (QNX ≠ BB10) in the letter and on the same day, BBRY cancel their app developers conference...
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    7,248 Global Posts

A temporary CEO that spouts some VERY generic PR gobbledygook is not going to cut it. WHAT IS THE PLAN! HOW ARE THEY GOING TO DO IT!

New Device Strategy - What does that mean, no consumer devices? no devices at all?

Leveraging our tremendous assets - that no one taught was worth buying?

BBMx - show us that people want it and that you know how to make money from it? Downloads have been tremendous, usage... not so much.

Network - requires people to pay to use it - either via BES license, BBMX fees (when they come) or buying a BB10 device. So that revenue is dropping every day...

QNX - Seems to be the only star that BB has, the question is is it a big star or a little star? Based on the other software revenues from the ER it isn't much of one.
    JeepBB and gg22 like this.

Global Posts
    19,574 Global Posts

He has 88 million reasons to try hard, which will turn into a figure with more zeros if he's successful. I'm giving him till "the call" next ER to articulate his plan...that should give him enough time, and of course he'll need a good one following those results.

Posted via CB10
    Be nice, it's free.

Global Posts
    19,574 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cgk View Post
    An operating system so important that he doesn't actually mention it (QNX ≠ BB10) in the letter and on the same day, BBRY cancel their app developers conference...
    Wonder if CHEN cancelled that?

Posted via CB10
    Be nice, it's free.
    Waterloo's Finest

Global Posts
    5,703 Global Posts

Same type of vague talk from Chen as we are used to. What is the strategy in plain English? Can I expect a major OS update for BlackBerry at this time next year? Why no mention of BB10. The strategic board decision has happened and we are on our way now. There is no announcement or date we have to wait for anymore yet the news is as vague as if there was.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,517 Global Posts
    PIN
    2AB288F6

well hes only at this for what a week?

lets give him some time.. chill people..

we gave Thor 2 years
  15. cgk
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    7,868 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shanerredflag View Post
    Wonder if CHEN cancelled that?

Posted via CB10
    You would think he would at least *know* and have final say about it? odd timing otherwise.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,517 Global Posts
    PIN
    2AB288F6

idk about you guys but I think this guy could do us well..

hes got a software background and lets be honest... that's what we need right now... we have hardware.. or it can be upped abit but software wise im sure we can do better look at the difference between 10.2 and 10.2.1 BIGGGGGGG CHANGES!!!!

Global Posts
    19,574 Global Posts

Agree...I love the platform, hope he executes and articulates his plan well...that's what we need.

Posted via CB10
    Be nice, it's free.
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    83,189 Global Posts

I want to see action. Talk is cheap. Hope he can prove it.
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    Posted from my phone or pc or tablet that are no better than anyone else's
    Woopie Doopie we have em fun
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,077 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by qbnkelt View Post
    Frankly I don't believe anyone at BlackBerry period! I'm just going to remain happy and hopeful as long as I have a working device. Still, nice to see a bit of hope around here though, we're moving once again......
    Death may be the King of terrors... but Jesus is the King of kings!
    Dwight L. Moody
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    151 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cgk View Post
    I agree, this letter is the thumb down on BB10.
    JeepBB likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Past performance IS an indicator of future success.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,094 Global Posts

He forgot to mention "How's the weather in Waterloo?"
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    498 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bboptimist View Post
    Past performance IS an indicator of future success.
    Thor also boasted about turning a company around years ago.. didn't see much of that in 2013
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    895 Global Posts

What do you people expect from his first message - answers to all your questions, doubts, anxieties, skepticism? How many of you who have made comments have ever worked in executive positions? (and before you ask I spent more than a decade in a corporate executive suite). What would you have said to people?

Sure, there is not a lot of time to turn things around. We all understand that. But hey, it is going to take some time. They've given themselves 6 quarters, not 6 days, to find solutions and fix BlackBerry. The new CEO hasn't even had enough time to earn your criticism yet. That day may come but heck, it's not today.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bold_until_Hybrid_Comes View Post
    Same type of vague talk from Chen as we are used to. What is the strategy in plain English? Can I expect a major OS update for BlackBerry at this time next year? Why no mention of BB10. The strategic board decision has happened and we are on our way now. There is no announcement or date we have to wait for anymore yet the news is as vague as if there was.
    I'm kind of afraid it's vague because there aren't any answers and they don't actually know what to do.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast