09-05-13 11:05 AM
220 ... 789
tools
    How many orders of magnitude? If it's just one, that's a tiny amount. When using phrases like "orders of magnitude" one must do so in a manner that is mathematically correct or it becomes misused as a trendy forum catchphrase.

ok just teasing :P

Being serious now, is the fact that BB World's app selection sucks really a big newsflash?
    s4bb has less than ~80 apps on the Google Play Store. 47000 is bigger than ten times more (1 order of magnitude), bigger than 100 times more (2 orders of magnitude) more. So it's a least two orders of magnitude bigger.
    08-23-13 01:24 PM
    How many orders of magnitude? If it's just one, that's a tiny amount. When using phrases like "orders of magnitude" one must do so in a manner that is mathematically correct or it becomes misused as a trendy forum catchphrase.

ok just teasing :P

Being serious now, is the fact that BB World's app selection sucks really a big newsflash?
    notfanboy probably did not mean the number of prolific developers but the number of apps attributable to prolific developers.
    08-23-13 04:13 PM
    Apple has in excess of 275,000 developers and there are over 800,000 apps.

Much lower average per developer.

Hate as much as you like.

Apple - Job Creation
    kevinnugent likes this.
    08-23-13 06:48 PM
    And people wonder why people hate BB now. It's garbage like this with terrible responses from them that justify the media bashing that they get.
    kevinnugent, bekkay, Etios and 5 others like this.
    08-24-13 07:22 AM
    Well, if you ever need a city guide, SB44 has about 46950 of them. Still scrolling!!!
    kevinnugent, h20work and Etios like this.
    08-24-13 02:53 PM
    This is pretty sad that one dev is responsible for 47,000 apps out of 120,000 apps in bb world.

Man oh man

It shows that there is not many devs out there for BlackBerry apps.

Hmm out of what is left in number of apps from the 120,000 - 47,000 I wonder how many are the same dev to complete the 120,000.

Gee is there only maybe 3 devs or 4 devs for BlackBerry apps?

Sad it is.

Bye bye BlackBerry

You failed me once again.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-13 08:00 AM
    I'm too lazy this morning to research and crunch the numbers, but I'd be curious to see how much this has skewed the "average income per developer" statistic that BBRY likes to throw around to demonstrate how much more profitable it is to develop for BB.
    08-25-13 08:52 AM
    I'm too lazy this morning to research and crunch the numbers, but I'd be curious to see how much this has skewed the "average income per developer" statistic that BBRY likes to throw around to demonstrate how much more profitable it is to develop for BB.
    Like most of Blackberry's statements, they left that one decidedly ambiguous. They never stated how many developers had apps in BB world, and therefore never stated how that average income was distributed. Needless to say though, having one developer responsible for almost half of their total volume will make the stats seem much more favourable than they actually are.
    notfanboy and Etios like this.
    08-25-13 09:03 AM
    This article was from last March.

BlackBerry exec claims just 20 percent of BB10 apps are Android-based | The Verge

Following the news that its app marketplace had surpassed more than 100,000 apps, BlackBerry has revealed that signed Android apps account for around 20 percent of its total BlackBerry 10 app count. In an interview with BlackBerry VP Martyn Mallick, AllThingsD reports that including access to emulated Android apps is beginning to pay dividends for the company, as developers shift their plans from simply porting their titles to fully committing to development of native BlackBerry 10 apps.

Last week, BlackBerry shared that 30,000 apps had been added to its BlackBerry World store in seven weeks, prompting suggestions that Android ports — which include Amazon's Kindle BB10 app — had inflated BlackBerry's app figures. Previous reports claimed Android apps accounted for as much as 40 percent of the 70,000 BlackBerry 10 apps available at launch, but Mallick's update casts doubt on the validity of the original figure, and may go some way towards reassuring device owners that developers are still committing to the platform.
    The dishonesty from VP is quite disturbing. Mallick is quite keen to point out that only 20% of BB10 apps are Android ports. All the while neglecting to mention that 60% of BB10 apps are spam or cookie cutter apps. I'm not saying that he's obligated to mention the spam apps, because he's not. However he should have refrained from bragging about the BB10 native app ecosystem because he is giving a misleadingly positive impression of developer support.

Let's assume that the 20% Android port number holds today. Those top 10 spamdevs mentioned earlier in the thread account for 61% of all BB10 apps.

This means that 76% of all native BB10 apps are spam apps. Wow.
    kevinnugent, JeepBB and Etios like this.
    08-25-13 09:28 AM
    If apps are that easy to produce why don't more companies do it

Posted via CB10
    08-25-13 03:37 PM
    These spam apps are all clones of each other. They're all really one app packaged with different data files. For instance you can write one book reader app or map app, and just provide different public domain text or maps as the app data.
    08-25-13 03:55 PM
    This is pretty sad that one dev is responsible for 47,000 apps out of 120,000 apps in bb world.

Man oh man

It shows that there is not many devs out there for BlackBerry apps.

Hmm out of what is left in number of apps from the 120,000 - 47,000 I wonder how many are the same dev to complete the 120,000.

Gee is there only maybe 3 devs or 4 devs for BlackBerry apps?

Sad it is.

Bye bye BlackBerry

You failed me once again.

Posted via CB10
    Wait, I'm confused. I thought you loved bb????
    08-25-13 04:08 PM
    Those numbers never really felt right/honest to me - especially since I've developed and sold BB apps and I think I got a very good sense of the market size. Also, for comparative purposes I believe the quoted Android & iOS numbers were actually just taken from some very very half-baked survey and were very far from the truth as well.

Not that it matters - I don't think that argument really swayed too many devs anyway.
    08-25-13 10:01 PM
    Edit: I'm not saying all of S4BB apps are garbage. But C'mon...
    Developers should be limited to 100 applications. Period. Full stop. Terminal point.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    Akuji_ism likes this.
    08-25-13 10:42 PM

Posted via CB10
    Most companies have some self-respect and would rather make one good app instead of 1000 crappy cookie-cutter ones.
    08-26-13 12:45 AM
    I think S4BB's silence is telling.

Tippy tapped from my iPhone 5, from me to you.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    08-26-13 12:55 AM
    Yes, thankfully they're not all putting out 45,000 apps each! That would be terrible. I wonder tho what the average per developer is on BB when, of the 60,000 registered developers, a mere 39 are responsible for 83,000 of the 120,000 available apps. 0.61 apps per developer? Not sure that this number has any actual meaning other than to say most BB devs appear to be inactive.

Apple has in excess of 275,000 developers and there are over 800,000 apps.

Much lower average per developer.

Hate as much as you like.

Apple - Job Creation
    08-26-13 08:12 AM
    Yes, thankfully they're not all putting out 45,000 apps each! That would be terrible. I wonder tho what the average per developer is on BB when, of the 60,000 registered developers, a mere 39 are responsible for 83,000 of the 120,000 available apps. 0.61 apps per developer? Not sure that this number has any actual meaning other than to say most BB devs appear to be inactive.
    Well, that's sort of the larger point that this proves. When you account for that 39 being responsible for 2/3 figure, you wind up with the realization that most registered BB10 devs are not active and/or have never submitted an app.

Now, to be fair, there are also lots of Apple devs who register and never submit an app. The difference is that at $100 a year, it's less common (but it still happens -- I have a dev account and don't have any apps in the App Store right now).

To me, the more troubling stat isn't how many apps S4BB has spammed -- but how that skews the way we look at developer interest in the platform.

BBRY has been trying to sell the app number figure as a sign of developer interest. When you know that such a huge percentage of apps are made by so few developers, that shows that broader interest just isn't there. And that is a problem.
    JeepBB, Etios, ifarlow and 1 others like this.
    08-26-13 09:27 AM
    Well, that's sort of the larger point that this proves. When you account for that 39 being responsible for 2/3 figure, you wind up with the realization that most registered BB10 devs are not active and/or have never submitted an app.

Now, to be fair, there are also lots of Apple devs who register and never submit an app. The difference is that at $100 a year, it's less common (but it still happens -- I have a dev account and don't have any apps in the App Store right now).

To me, the more troubling stat isn't how many apps S4BB has spammed -- but how that skews the way we look at developer interest in the platform.

BBRY has been trying to sell the app number figure as a sign of developer interest. When you know that such a huge percentage of apps are made by so few developers, that shows that broader interest just isn't there. And that is a problem.
    Blackberry hasn't lost anything.

In the past year, I have seen more interest by developers towards tizen (two developer) than I have for blackberry (0).
    08-26-13 09:49 AM
    Think Libro Movil are trying to catch up. Hundreds of fantastic books been flooding AppWorld recently :S

Z10STL100-2/10.1.0.4828
    09-05-13 11:05 AM
220 ... 789