09-05-13 11:05 AM
220 1234 ...
tools
    It shows Blackberry's lack of quality control.
    LOL. True. However, all we've heard is "more" apps are needed from critics and lots of consumers. Initially, I'm sure "the-powers-that-be" were happy to have some dev(any dev) step up to develop apps at that magnitude while being overlooked/dismissed by the major players(devs) for the volume of apps. For BlackBerry, the quantity not quality was the main issue. Besides, I doubt they were expecting most of them to be considered crap......with updates coming, of course. So, for all those complaining about the ecosystem not developed and needing more apps, be careful what you ask for. When BlackBerry is asking and offering incentives for more apps- even "knock-offs" of the major apps on other platforms, this is the end results. I'm sure if the major devs wanted to be on BlackBerry, we would already have those apps by now.
    08-21-13 07:21 AM
    I agree. Which is why I lol whenever a blackberry user boast about the number of apps in the store.
    Everyone does it even apple, app count is so useless because majority of apps on all platforms never get downloaded. In 2012 there was a report about 400,000 apps never been downloaded from the app store.

Posted via CB10
    Blacklatino, bekkay and Vorkosigan like this.
    08-21-13 07:23 AM
    Everyone does it even apple, app count is so useless because majority of apps on all platforms never get downloaded. In 2012 there was a report about 400,000 apps never been downloaded from the app store.

Posted via CB10
    True, however Apple does a great job at hiding the garbage.
    Blacklatino and Akuji_ism like this.
    08-21-13 07:25 AM
    The wider point to me is - how many actual developers are active on BB world? If one company is response for a third of the apps are we going to find that the actual developer pool (and therefore developer interest) is actually tiny?

So it's not the raw number that would worry me it's what it says about interest in the ecosystem.
    08-21-13 07:47 AM
    There's 1000's of what I think are useless apps on android and ios. Its no big deal....what I call useless someone else make think its useful. Stop bashing BlackBerry!!!!
    08-21-13 08:09 AM
    Did these apps garner BBRY dev incentive payout money?
    08-21-13 08:13 AM
    Does it harm you as a customer? If yes, how? It may harm some jealous developers
    It harms BlackBerry.

The honest truth is, I stopped bothering with opening BlackBerry World to look for new apps on my BB10 phones because every time I went to the new arrivals section, there was almost nothing except offline GPS map apps.

Search around, I'm not the only that has given up.

BTW, I just looked at new arrivals again for the first time in over a month (probably closer to two months), and the offline GPS maps start showing up around 10 apps into the list. It is pathetic.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000378.png 
Views:	941 
Size:	401.9 KB 
ID:	194391

Don't take my word for it, go see for yourself. I can't believe BlackBerry is still allowing that to go on. They have thousands of those pointless, over priced offline GPS maps apps. They're so desperate for a big number of apps, that they don't care if a huge portion of their selection is made up of one type of app that no one ever buys.

EDIT:

I don't know how many new arrivals appear with in the New Arrivals category at a time, but I just counted 350 offline GPS apps. There are more, but I got sick of counting and stopped at 350.

Welp, I guess it is back to not opening BlackBerry World for me.

Typed on my Dev Alpha C, Posted Via CB10
    Last edited by Saiga; 08-21-13 at 08:30 AM.
    08-21-13 08:15 AM
    It harms BlackBerry.

The honest truth is, I stopped bothering with opening BlackBerry World to look for new apps on my BB10 phones because every time I went to the new arrivals section, there was almost nothing except offline GPS map apps.

BTW, I just looked at new arrivals again for the first time in over a month (probably closer to two months), and the offline GPS maps start showing up around 10 apps into the list. It is pathetic.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000378.png 
Views:	941 
Size:	401.9 KB 
ID:	194391

Don't take my word for it, go see for yourself. I can't believe BlackBerry is still allowing that to go on. They have thousands of those pointless, over priced offline GPS maps apps. They're so desperate for a big number of apps, that they don't care if a huge portion of their selection is made up of one type of app that no one ever buys.

EDIT:

I don't know how many new arrivals appear with in the New Arrivals category at a time, but I just counted 350 offline GPS apps. There are more, but I got sick of counting and stopped at 350.

LOL. 350? D&mn!
    08-21-13 08:35 AM

Posted via CB10
    That turned out to be a bogus report, because short of polling the developers of 400K apps and confirming their apps weren't downloaded (which wasn't done), only Apple would know about apps not downloaded. And as I recall, Apple wasn't the source for that article.

Edit: Here's a link. http://www.phonearena.com/news/40000...report_id32943

As it turns out, the author of the "analysis" just so happens to be selling a product that will allegedly increase app visibility. However, I'm sure that fact didn't effect their conclusion at all.
    Last edited by Wiki Cydia; 08-21-13 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Added details
    reeneebob, JeepBB and look_alive like this.
    08-21-13 08:39 AM
    It harms BlackBerry.

EDIT:

It's okay though. After all, all the other app stores have fluff...
    08-21-13 08:39 AM
    That turned out to be a bogus report, because short of polling the developers of 400K apps and confirming their apps weren't downloaded (which wasn't done), only Apple would know about apps not downloaded. And as I recall, Apple wasn't the source for that article.
    In fact, Apple was a source of a statement completely contrary to the article. 93% of their apps are downloaded monthly. The original report in question came from a company that makes money by helping developers promote their apps.
    08-21-13 08:42 AM
    Does it harm you as a customer? If yes, how? It may harm some jealous developers
    Me no it doesn't. This is just like the companies out there that are sending out Yellow Page advertising "bills" to be listed in the Yellow Page directory. But they are not the directory that people really think they are. Many times once they learn they have been burned, they end up blaming the Real Yellow Pages for allowing it.

It is BlackBerry's "World" - consumers will blame BlackBerry for allowing someone to charge for apps that are just RSS Feeds or Converted Free Book or just a poorly done copy of the real app with a very similar name.

I'm not saying that BlackBerry should get rid of them all, they just need to protect users.
    08-21-13 08:43 AM
    There's 1000's of what I think are useless apps on android and ios. Its no big deal....what I call useless someone else make think its useful. Stop bashing BlackBerry!!!!
    You are absolutely right. Those apps may not be utilized either. But, it's a bigger issue for BlackBerry than the other two platforms. People along with critics are saying the Number #1 reason that the Blackberry sales are down is an immature/weak ecosystem.....meaning a lack of apps. So, we have a dev that has over a 3rd of the apps in AppWorld.....that no one may/may not want. As stated, if this particular dev has a 3rd of the apps out of XXX number of apps, it is still not beneficial for BlackBerries' ecosystem- which doesn't help sales. Herein lies the problem. It's less about bashing BlackBerry(from some of those that own 'numerous" BlackBerries), and more about discussing a real problem in AppWorld. Honestly.....how many GPS.........uh, never mind.
    Last edited by Blacklatino; 08-21-13 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Clarification
    BerryWizard and techvisor like this.
    08-21-13 08:46 AM
    Honestly.....how many GPS.........uh, never mind.
    One for every city, village and hamlet. Literally. BBRY wants us to "Keep Moving" for life!
    08-21-13 08:48 AM
    What this actually means is that BlackBerry only needs about a dozen similarly prolific app developers to close the app gap
    08-21-13 08:50 AM
    What this actually means is that BlackBerry only needs about a dozen similarly prolific app developers to close the app gap

Move over Amazon! Back off, Google! BBRY is about to take over in the areas of e-poems and mapping...
    Akuji_ism, Etios, bekkay and 1 others like this.
    08-21-13 08:53 AM
    The question is how many developers have 1000 apps or more published in BlackBerry world. I think if you remove those spamers the app count in BB World could fall to 10000 or less. I understand in Windows Phone the limit is 100 free apps by developer.
    I can't believe people is defending this practice.
    08-21-13 08:56 AM
    I guess S4bb say's it all. SH** for blackberry.
    BerryWizard likes this.
    08-21-13 09:00 AM
    One for every city, village and hamlet. Literally. BBRY wants us to "Keep Moving" for life!
    LOL. Seems that way. As far as the dev in question, IMO, few decent apps, some I would never use, and a very week customer service - depending on the app. I gave up on writing bad reviews for one app that were always deleted with no response to email(s).
    08-21-13 09:00 AM
    It's okay though. After all, all the other app stores have fluff...
    It would make a world of difference if BlackBerry just made it to where off line GPS maps, ebooks and fan apps wouldn't appear inside the new arrivals category.

If they took out those 3 types of apps, browsing new apps would be much easier and their selection of apps wouldn't look as horrible.

squished18 likes this.
    08-21-13 09:05 AM
    Is there any way to work out who the next largest app developer is?
    08-21-13 09:09 AM
    Makes you wonder if BlackBerry is just paying people to make tons of apps like this just for app counts. Meanwhile it is the major apps, or the lack of hurting the platform, not the total count.
    bekkay and scorpiodsu like this.
    08-21-13 09:10 AM
    Is there any way to work out who the next largest app developer is?
    Mippin has about 17,000 RSS feed apps. They're likely close to second place. Although I think these apps may be published under individual vendor accounts since they're from the app generator. Hard to tell from their twitter statement.

https://twitter.com/Mippin/status/323711352856268800

Edit: Actually, I'm almost positive those 17,000 are published to individual vendor accounts. I don't even see Mippin themselves as a BB World vendor.
    cgk, Etios and bekkay like this.
    08-21-13 09:13 AM
    Mippin has about 17,000 apps. They're likely close to second place. Although I think these apps may be published under individual vendor accounts since they're from the app generator. Hard to tell from their twitter statement.

https://twitter.com/Mippin/status/323711352856268800
    Wait.. the app world has about 100,000 apps in it - are we seriously saying that about 60% of the app world is two companies knocking out crap?

(it is about 100,000 right?)

Can we find someone else with a similar number of apps?
    agp101 likes this.
    08-21-13 09:18 AM
    Wait.. the app world has about 100,000 apps in it - are we seriously saying that about 60% of the app world is two companies knocking out crap?

(it is about 100,000 right?)
    I think it's about 120,000 now. But still, looks like about 50% of BB world is crap from two companies.
    JeepBB, BerryWizard and agp101 like this.
    08-21-13 09:20 AM
220 1234 ...