09-05-13 12:05 PM
220 1234 ...
tools
    Some of you may have noticed that a few developers have been exploiting the free submission of apps to BlackBerry World and using it as a promotional tool. @gpheheise pointed out to me that the worst offender by far is S4BB. As of this article BlackBerry World is reporting that S4BB has over 47,000+ Apps in BlackBerry World. The first 20-30 actually seem like good to decent quality legitimate apps and then it rapidly goes downhill. There are tons of city guides (Gdynia, Poland anyone?), audio books (is an audiobook an app?), phrasebooks, and more available for BB10 and many times also BBOS.
    ONE App Developer Responsible for 47,000+ Apps in BlackBerry World? - BerryReview

That is a staggering number of apps...
    Mudassir Ayub likes this.
    08-21-13 02:52 AM
    This is no different to any other app ecosystem. They're playing the numbers game as that is one way to ensure you get noticed in a sea of hundreds of thousands.

I have S4BB apps. They're pretty good.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-13 04:10 AM
    This is no different to any other app ecosystem. They're playing the numbers game as that is one way to ensure you get noticed in a sea of hundreds of thousands.

I have S4BB apps. They're pretty good.

Posted via CB10
    Are you saying there are single developers in the ios and android markets responsible for about a third of the apps?
    08-21-13 05:13 AM
    No, I think he is saying every platform has developers that submit high amounts of "useless" apps. In fact BBWorld has less of them, that is probably the only reason you noticed it.

I think it a pretty good strategy. You get free publicity for your "core" apps (the ones you put the most effort in) and it shows continuing dedication to the platform. As long as the rest of the apps are "ok" or better, people will probably prefer these developers over one-hit wonders.
    I definitely do not see any harm in it.

[I do wish the maps/guides/audio books would get a separate category in World, it really clutters up the "new releases" view.]
    08-21-13 05:32 AM

I think it a pretty good strategy. You get free publicity for your "core" apps (the ones you put the most effort in) and it shows continuing dedication to the platform. As long as the rest of the apps are "ok" or better, people will probably prefer these developers over one-hit wonders.
    I definitely do not see any harm in it.

[I do wish the maps/guides/audio books would get a separate category in World, it really clutters up the "new releases" view.]
    It shows Blackberry's lack of quality control.
    08-21-13 06:12 AM
    No, I think he is saying every platform has developers that submit high amounts of "useless" apps. In fact BBWorld has less of them, that is probably the only reason you noticed it.
    Can you name a single example of such a developer on iOS or Android? I bet that any example that you name will be orders of magnitude smaller than the BB world examples given above.
    Akuji_ism likes this.
    08-21-13 06:19 AM
    What do you suggest, do you want BB to ban a developer from submitting the he/she wants. Do you think BB gets credits for banning devs. I'm totally fine as long as BB keeps viruses out of App World.
    08-21-13 06:21 AM
    What do you suggest, do you want BB to ban a developer from submitting the he/she wants. Do you think BB gets credits for banning devs. I'm totally fine as long as BB keeps viruses out of App World.
    So you're saying 47,000 apps of guides etc is what the developer wants?.its obviously to get the app count up
    08-21-13 06:26 AM
    Search for S4BB in Google Play. I don't have iphone, I cannot search appstore for offline maps but even Apple cannot filter scam apps from their store:
    iOS malware can sneak through Apple's approval process, researchers show | Technology | theguardian.com

But anyway, kudos to S4BB for bringing those 47.000 apps to BB first even though many of those are useless. I don't use any single app from S4BB but I respect them for respecting BB and its users.
    08-21-13 06:28 AM
    So you're saying 47,000 apps of guides etc is what the developer wants?.its obviously to get the app count up
    Does it harm you as a customer? If yes, how? It may harm some jealous developers
    mk2234 and MobileMadness002 like this.
    08-21-13 06:31 AM
    Does it harm you as a customer? If yes, how? It may harm some jealous developers
    Yes. Just read the disgruntled reviews. There are disproportionately more of them.

This is like arguing in favor of spam email. How does it harm you as a customer?
    08-21-13 06:48 AM
    I suggest BlackBerry do something other than accepting every app that enters its store.
    Last edited by MartyMcfly; 08-21-13 at 07:07 AM.
    08-21-13 06:53 AM
    Search for S4BB in Google Play. I don't have iphone, I cannot search appstore for offline maps but even Apple cannot filter scam apps from their store:
    iOS malware can sneak through Apple's approval process, researchers show | Technology | theguardian.com

But anyway, kudos to S4BB for bringing those 47.000 apps to BB first even though many of those are useless. I don't use any single app from S4BB but I respect them for respecting BB and its users.
    Sounds like s4BB wanted some quick cash. They don't care about blackberry users otherwise you'd have 1 or 2 high quality apps instead of garbage.
    Donvald likes this.
    08-21-13 06:57 AM
    Edit: I'm not saying all of S4BB apps are garbage. But C'mon...
    08-21-13 06:59 AM
    Yes. Just read the disgruntled reviews.
    Again, you were complaining before that one dev submitted 47.000 apps and now complaining about the reviews or quality of a specific app. BB is not giving these apps 'Built for BB' sticker.
    08-21-13 07:00 AM
    Again, you were complaining before that one dev submitted 47.000 apps and now complaining about the reviews or quality of a specific app. BB is not giving these apps 'Built for BB' sticker.
    There is no disconnect.

The question was whether this app spam of low quality apps did any harm to customers. My answer was yes, look at the disgruntled reviews to hear from the customers themselves.
    08-21-13 07:04 AM
    I've done a quick search for the developer on Android and Apple - 81 results for Android and 19 results for Apple. Nowhere near 47,000 !
    08-21-13 07:12 AM
    How can you says it's BlackBerry lack of control. Really you think they should reject someone's app because they have too many already.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-13 07:22 AM
    How can you says it's BlackBerry lack of control. Really you think they should reject someone's app because they have too many already.

Posted via CB10
    No, I'm saying they should accept less garbage. There's a lot of junk in BlackBerry app world (web links, apps that don't work as advertised, garbage apps, etc etc).
    08-21-13 07:28 AM

Posted via CB10
    Yes, I think so.
    gravymonster likes this.
    08-21-13 07:30 AM
    What quality control? If anything, BlackBerry is probably happy to have the inflated app count.
    08-21-13 07:35 AM
    What quality control? If anything, BlackBerry is probably happy to have the inflated app count.
    I agree. Which is why I lol whenever a blackberry user boast about the number of apps in the store.
    Akuji_ism, Etios and look_alive like this.
    08-21-13 07:38 AM

Posted via CB10
    No but they should get suspicious and look at what they're up to if they make up more than 1/3rd of your entire market. And almost none of them are worth even a penny or rated above 2~3 stars.
    08-21-13 08:01 AM
    LOL. People defend this? Wow.

It's okay to say admit even BBRY makes mistakes now and then.
    08-21-13 08:08 AM
    Can't believe this is being defended. We can subtract 47k from the official number of apps in BlackBerry World. I wonder if there are other devs with thousands/hundreds of apps?

Posted via CB10
    Akuji_ism, Etios, bekkay and 5 others like this.
    08-21-13 08:14 AM
220 1234 ...