Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By georg22
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Nokia and RIM possible mapping partners?

Just saw this article on the BBC website. It's nothing much about BB but 2 things were mentioned that I thought interesting (BBC News - Google Maps native iPhone app launched on Apple's store)

Excerpt talking about Nokia's Map app:

"However, the Here app has had a shaky start with many users complaining about problems with its interface - a consequence of it being written in the HTML5 web language rather than as a native app, specifically for the iOS system....Amazon has already done a deal with Nokia on its Kindle tablets, and I wouldn't be surprised if RIM's new Blackberry devices and Facebook follow."

Does anyone know if BB10 native map app will be in HTML5 as well? So is the iOS system itself having problems with HTML5, or is writing map app in HTML5 may not be ideal?

It's interesting that they suggest RIM may make a deal with Nokia, given that both are/will be using TomTom's map system. Hopefully RIM will not run into the same problems Nokia has with their map app...and I dare not say problems that Apple has with their less than adequate map.

Edit: Bad memory lapse, just realized it's actually RIM and Apple that gets their data from TomTom, not Nokia. Surprised no one caught me on this one. haha.
    Last edited by DuexNoir; 12-13-2012 at 02:34 PM. Reason: fix bad memory
    I use BB10...the blasphemy!
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    708 Global Posts

i have no idea whether it'll be html5, but i guess its possible. With their push for html5, and a core app already coded in the language, i'd even say its probable.

Good question about a ios/html5 issue though, i'd like to know more about that myself.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Yeah, given that iphone is incapable of NFC, I wouldn't be surprised if they hit the wall with HTML5. Perhaps their new slogan should be, "There's an app for that - because we sure as h#ll couldn't build it ourselves..."
    Feel pretty confident BlackBerry can do it better - especially with THE MIGHTY THOR and the rest of his BlackBerry Avengers overseeing...
    #BB10Believe
    BlackBerry -
    We invented the Smartphone Business...
    We're takin' it back!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,166 Global Posts

Default Re: Nokia and RIM possible mapping partners?

Quote Originally Posted by G-bone View Post
    Yeah, given that iphone is incapable of NFC, I wouldn't be surprised if they hit the wall with HTML5. Perhaps their new slogan should be, "There's an app for that - because we sure as h#ll couldn't build it ourselves..."
    Feel pretty confident BlackBerry can do it better - especially with THE MIGHTY THOR and the rest of his BlackBerry Avengers overseeing...
    #BB10Believe
    I'm sorry, what does the absence of NFC have to do with the ability to run html5?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,067 Global Posts
    PIN
    Temporarily sans BB

Quote Originally Posted by G-bone View Post
    Yeah, given that iphone is incapable of NFC, I wouldn't be surprised if they hit the wall with HTML5.
    Ad-hominem at it's best. What does one have to do with the other?
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    In my pants.

I am guessing it will be done in the native language. I would doubt RIM would make a deal with Nokia since they just struck a deal with TomTom.
    Phone: Bold (9000) | Torch (9800) | Torch (9810) | Z10 : 10.3.1.1151 | Passport : Defective waiting for replacement
    Tablet: Playbook 64G WiFi QNX
    CrackBerry User

I made some performance tests on the dev alpha a few months ago and coded one and the same test-app in AIR, HTML5 and Cascades. HTML5 was not responsive at all + and the animations were sluggish, AIR was better, Cascades was really great. So i decided to go Cascades.
    The HTML5 fanboys are very loud today, calling every other environment old and outdated. Dont believe it. It will never be as good as Cascades/C++.
    If you want best user experience, then Cascades/C++ is the way to go. HTML5 is good for cross-platform apps, and content-centric apps. Doing everything in HTML5 would be a big mistake, imho. RIM will hopefully make their core apps all with cascades.
    Thanked by:
    David in Durham (12-13-2012) 
    DenverRalphy likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Nokia Maps is being heavily used by automakers and since they all want HTML, this makes alot of sense. By having everything in html5 it could help them avoid being committed to one device OS or manufacturer. This is probably their way of trying to balance the power a bit since they will be dependent on QNX/BLACKBERRY if things go well for RIM.
    Follow the breadcrumb trail of RIM's epic comeback with BB10BelieveIt on Twitter at @CrumbsObserver
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    7,594 Global Posts

RIM has announced that they have partnered with TomTom. There are three main sources of Map data: Nokia, TomTom, and Google. TomTom made the most sense for both Apple and RIM because Nokia and Google are competitors in the same space.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,067 Global Posts
    PIN
    Temporarily sans BB

Quote Originally Posted by georg22 View Post
    I made some performance tests on the dev alpha a few months ago and coded one and the same test-app in AIR, HTML5 and Cascades. HTML5 was not responsive at all + and the animations were sluggish, AIR was better, Cascades was really great. So i decided to go Cascades.
    The HTML5 fanboys are very loud today, calling every other environment old and outdated. Dont believe it. It will never be as good as Cascades/C++.
    If you want best user experience, then Cascades/C++ is the way to go. HTML5 is good for cross-platform apps, and content-centric apps. Doing everything in HTML5 would be a big mistake, imho. RIM will hopefully make their core apps all with cascades.
    I agree. A lot of app projects that chose the HTML5 route have met mediocre results. Most notable recently is Facebook, who dumped their HTML5 app and returned to native coding simply because the user experience turned out to be pretty poor. HTML5 may be good for simple projects with a very narrow focus or purpose, but woefully inadequate for robust full featured apps.