• 1 Post By Alex_Hong
  • 1 Post By Alex_Hong
  • 1 Post By jamezalexander
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,912 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Nokia to acquire IP and tech from Scalado

Nokia to acquire developers, technologies and intellectual property for imaging from Scalado Ľ Nokia – Press

As we know, the camera technology demo-ed at BB world on BB10 was based on Scalado's technology.
    What would this mean for RIM? Will there be any changes in the deal with them?
  2. cgk
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    7,720 Global Posts

Unless they were asleep at the wheel when signing the deal, they will have a perpetual licence for the software used in BB10.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,912 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Nokia made a smart move in getting Scalado. They already have the hardware (PureView), now they just need the imaging technology.
    kennyliu likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Hong View Post
    Nokia made a smart move in getting Scalado. They already have the hardware (PureView), now they just need the imaging technology.
    PureView + Scalado (Rewind, Remove, etc) should be a great combo. I wish they also got Lytro as part of their camera technology
    CrackBerry Genius

Looks like they are initially planning to incorporate the Scalado technologies in their Lumia line:

Nokia to acquire Scalado, build a better Lumia -- Engadget
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,912 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

I feel that Lytro is still quite some time away from appearing in mobile phones. I think the way the camera works requires a long body(depth). Unless the camera appears on the top or bottom of the phone instead of the back. But still, i would love that on my phone too.
    kennyliu likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Why didn't RIM buy them?

This was an innovative company and RIM clearly agreed by licensing their products.

I am happy for Scalado, Jealous of Nokia (for this only) and sad that it wasn't RIM
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,983 Global Posts

The licensing deal should be for some amount of time at a minimum, or hopefully they made a better deal to make this a non-issue. Of course Nokia could keep any new things done after the acquisition all to themselves.

As to why didn't RIM buy them, they aren't in a position right now to be eating into that $2 Billion in cash reserves with sales of BB7 devices not pulling them through like they through while we wait for BB10 hardware/software to hit the market. They would have needed to acquire them a year ago when things weren't as bad. At least they got a licensing agreement in before the acquisition. Don't worry at the rate Nokia is burning through cash and not making money the IP will end up somewhere else in the future.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,912 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

I can only imagine because Scalado already have a long working relationship with Nokia already. So they didn't want to sell to RIM. Perhaps RIM did not see the point in acquiring it completely just for a bit of their imaging tech.

quoting from Patti McKague, Sr. Manager, Public Relations at Research In Motion:

"RIM has been working with Scalado on camera technology and has licensed some of the Scalado technology for the BlackBerry 10 platform. As shown during the BlackBerry World Keynote, RIM is planning a unique implementation of the technology on BlackBerry 10 to provide an incredible user experience, allowing for more customization by the user and enabling them to easily capture and share their perfect moments."

Since RIM already has TAT, which coincidentally is also a Swedish company. Perhaps they just want the imaging tech, but coat it with TAT cascades goodness.
    morganplus8 likes this.

The key here is that RIM is already licensing the technology from Scalado, which usually comes in return for some kind of payment. I would think that should be more valuable to Nokia right now than any possible competitive advantage they might gain by withholding the technology from RIM or any other licensees.
    Ed

Be bold. Be pantless. Then go take a nice long nap.
    CrackBerry User

funny this was released to the media but not that they plan to cut its workforce by 10,000 positions(19%) by the end of 2013.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    BBM is useless to me. Now I can't delete it!

Default Nokia to acquire IP and tech from Scalado

Isn't the title of this forum section General BB Discussion.

Why the h3ell are non BB items allowed here? CB has a section for other brands of phones.

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry
    CrackBerry Genius

^^^ It is not a non BB item. If you've missed the recent developments, the Scalado technologies are expected to be used in BB10 phones and the acquisition may affect this (to a degree unknown).
    CrackBerry Abuser

"RIM is planning a unique implementation of the technology on BlackBerry 10"
    If Scalado has insight into how RIM intends to implement the tech, I wonder what would be disclosed to Nokia.

Anyhow, I'm sure RIM's legal area must have thought of this and other issues, as the same could happen to SwiftKey or any other partner.
    Last edited by needforbbx; 06-14-2012 at 02:46 PM.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    PIN

The reason RIM didn't buy them was because they aren't stupid--at the rate technology moves Scalado will be surpassed by everyone. They simply have bought (licensed into) what now Nokia sees as top value. RIM didn't buy the same reason Apple nor Google bought in. Becasue "Scalado" as a company is not ready for prime time. No one yet cares about scaldo really. Nokia shows this through their actions in taking the devs, technologies and IP instead; it's clear Nokia even realized the Scalado tech is not ready and that tieing it to their own technologies will greater build them (Nokia). Scalado and Nokia have worked together a long time. RIM has used the power of cascades to take the Scaldo technology and tie it into BB10, I expect RIM's camera to have it's own technologies and features, where as Nokia is absorbing parts of Scaldo in order to build better what they have.

As it stands BB10's implementation of Scalado seems much different and more robust than the Scaldo.com demos etc. Wait and see. I don't see this affecting RIM in anyway. If anything this is part of RIMs strategy--forcing the players in the game to acknowledge them and prepare against the 2Gen RIM. Nokia will be hustlin' to incorporate where Blackberry has been slowly baking. They (Nokia) plan to assimilate all Scalado tech to make the incorporation faster, something Blackberry has had time to built and fineness as they deploy their latest OS.

Thanks to Nokia for giving RIM a massive headstart in looking for the next "Scalado".

"It [SCALADO] will not be seeking new work with existing or new customers.
    - Nokia
    It's Never Too Late to Be Bold You can find my musing over at BerryFlow.com | @jmznvs
    "If you understand what the promise of BlackBerry is to its user base itís all about getting stuff done.
    Games, media, we have to be good at it but we have to support those guys who are ahead of the game." Thorsten Heins
    the_sleuth likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by trsbbs View Post

Why the h3ell are non BB items allowed here? CB has a section for other brands of phones.

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry
    It potentially impacts BB because RIM has licensed some of Scalado's technology for BB10's camera.
    Ed

Be bold. Be pantless. Then go take a nice long nap.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,113 Global Posts
    PIN
    Wouldn't you like to know

Quote Originally Posted by trsbbs View Post

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry
    Read through first and then comment. This does affect BB potentially.

I got blisters on me fingers! from using Tapatalk.