View Poll Results: Would a NetFlix app for the PlayBook get them 7 Million new subscribers for 2012?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolutely!

20 20.00%
  • No!

57 57.00%
  • I have no idea.

23 23.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    738 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default NEWS: Netflix misses subscriber target for third quarter

Do you think NetFlix would hit their subscriber goal if they released an app for the PlayBook?

Source: Netflix misses subscriber target for third quarter | Internet & Media - CNET News

CNET:

Netflix added fewer streaming subscribers than managers said they needed to stay on track to reach their full-year growth target, but the company's financial performance were in line with analyst expectations.
    Netflix, the online movie-rental service, reported a third-quarter net profit of $8 million, or 13 cents a share, on revenue of $905 million, the company said after close of trading today. Revenue was up 10 percent from the $821 million the company reported in the same period a year earlier.
    Netflix said that for the quarter ending September 30, the number of U.S. streaming subscribers increased by 1.1 million. The company now has a total of 25.1 million domestic streaming customers.
    In March, CEO Reed Hastings said the company needed to add nearly 1.8 million new U.S. streaming subscribers to make good on the company's goal of adding 7 million new customers for the year.
    This is a pivotal number for Netflix and it didn't please Wall Street one bit. In after-hours trading, Netflix shares were down $10 or 15 percent to $57.98.

Global Posts
    23,374 Global Posts
    PIN
    24DA0A39

Default Re: NEWS: Netflix misses subscriber target for third quarter

no chance in . PB only sold 250K last quarter as it was. they needed another 700k subscribers to meet their goal. I dont know many people that would sign up for netflix only because they bought a PB. I think most people already have a netflix subscription and pass on the PB because it doesnt have the app.

In other words, the lack of netflix app on the PB hurts RIM sales much more than netflix subscribers.
    ~Matt
    Nexus 5, Z10 LE, White Lumia 521, 32GB Nook HD+ & 16GB PB, 32 GB Dell Venue 8 Pro
    @howarmat
    Rello and richardat like this.
  3. cgk
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    7,709 Global Posts

Do you think NetFlix would hit their subscriber goal if they released an app for the PlayBook?
    No - remove the number who aren't interested in netlfix, then remove the number in markets that don't support netflix - then if you got 100% of everyone who was left, you'd be left with... a long way to go.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN

I think it would help but Netflix already said no to the Playbook. Guess poor leadership isn't a RIM only issue.
    [B]Real BlackBerry Phones Have Real Keyboards
    Q10 the finest BlackBerry

Global Posts
    5,283 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6927F7

I'm willing to bet that if there were a Netflix app for the Playbook that they'd MAYBE net somewhere between 500k to 750k subscribers, and that's probably optimistic. Couple of things to bear in mind:

1) How many Playbook owners are already Netflix subscribers? Making it available on the PB doesn't make them pay any more than they already are.
    2) I'd be surprised if the "PB boycott" lost Netflix more than 10k subscribers, so overcoming that won't do a lot
    3) With BB10 coming in a matter of months to the Playbook, there's little incentive for Netflix to develop a PB OS 2.x app

There's a chance that having Netflix on the PB might actually bump Playbook sales, but even there I have my doubts. Bottom line, probably isn't worth their while.
    Rello and richardat like this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    738 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

I guess the question should be: Would it help them reach their goal of 7 million?

I personally only have a PlayBook and a BlackBerry. I can not watch Netflix on my mobile devices. That is why I do not have Netflix.
    Electron 8703e ----> World Edition 8830 ----> Curve 8330 ----> Storm 9530 ----> Tour 9630 ----> Storm2 9550 ----> Bold 9650 ----> iPhone 4 ----> Samsung Galaxy Nexus ----> Z10 STL100-4 ----> Z30 STA100-3

Have a PS4? Join the CB community by clicking here
    Thanked by:
    Chaplain_Clancy (10-24-2012) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,863 Global Posts

netflix is a dying company.

you can't compete with cable giants.
    CrackBerry Addict

I have no idea if they'd achieve their goal if Netflix was available for the PlayBook, but I do know one thing; I won't be one of the people signing up. Netflix's selection sucks and the quality is awful, had it on my laptop last year on a 3 month trial and all I have to say is "NEVER AGAIN!"
    mrfreeze574 likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    498 Global Posts

I dropped it I'm August and got hulu to try it out and I like it a lot better despite the commercials. I might activate it for a month every now and then but as for a year long subscription, never again
    CrackBerry Addict

Screw Netflix!
    nappp and annon91221 like this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Netflix on bb10 would only help both parties. Not sure why Netflix is so stubborn. or maybe they do have an app but RIM just hasnt announced it yet. Who knows. Doesnt matter to me, netflix is garbage in canada.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by playbookster View Post
    Doesnt matter to me, netflix is garbage in canada.
    Haha. My thoughts exactly.
    Blatant placeholder signature.
    annon91221 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,567 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by playbookster View Post
    Netflix on bb10 would only help both parties. Not sure why Netflix is so stubborn. or maybe they do have an app but RIM just hasnt announced it yet. Who knows. Doesnt matter to me, netflix is garbage in canada.
    It's not as simple as making an app. There is a more than likely chance, that content owners would demand either a larger or separate fee for creating a PB app. If the additional payments Netflix has to make is greater than anticipated revenue gain from making the app... obviously Netflix would lose out, and potentially lose out quite a bit. Believe me, content owners are VERY explicit in how you are allowed to distribute their product.

As an example, recently, Apple's plans of creating a new Pandora-like app was a no go because Apple wanted to be able to play more than 5 songs by the same artist or something, and the music owners wanted to charge more than the normal rate charged to Pandora and others of the same ilk... thus, no new app.
    Between Realities

Global Posts
    11,669 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Roo Zilla View Post
    It's not as simple as making an app. There is a more than likely chance, that content owners would demand either a larger or separate fee for creating a PB app. If the additional payments Netflix has to make is greater than anticipated revenue gain from making the app... obviously Netflix would lose out, and potentially lose out quite a bit. Believe me, content owners are VERY explicit in how you are allowed to distribute their product.

As an example, recently, Apple's plans of creating a new Pandora-like app was a no go because Apple wanted to be able to play more than 5 songs by the same artist or something, and the music owners wanted to charge more than the normal rate charged to Pandora and others of the same ilk... thus, no new app.
    Then tack on app maintenance, server costs, etc...

Global Posts
    23,374 Global Posts
    PIN
    24DA0A39

everytime i hear people say netflix sucks they are in canada or outside the US atleast. Netflix in the US has pretty good collection really. More than anywhere else you can unlimited streaming for 7.99 a month.
    ~Matt
    Nexus 5, Z10 LE, White Lumia 521, 32GB Nook HD+ & 16GB PB, 32 GB Dell Venue 8 Pro
    @howarmat
    Rello likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    486 Global Posts

One thing I think we can all agree on, adding BB support could not possibly lower there subscribers.

Simple as that.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by howarmat View Post
    everytime i hear people say netflix sucks they are in canada or outside the US atleast. Netflix in the US has pretty good collection really. More than anywhere else you can unlimited streaming for 7.99 a month.
    Yes, there is an ENORMOUS difference between US netflix and the really weak Canadian line-up.

As to the poll....the question has clearly been answered well by Howarmart, cgk, thunderbuck and others...if you really want to change the question to "would it help them reach their goal of 7 million?" then of course, yes, it will "help", if only by 428 new subscribers....though it may hurt them financially.

It seems to me you may really want to ask "Do you hate netflix?" or "Are you gloating because netflix underperformed, and wish to attribute it to the snubbing or BB? " And hey, that's understandable, but at the end of the day, their failure wasn't due to the RIM decision, and, as pointed out, PB sales suggest it wouldn't have benefited them a lot, and thus, it probably was the right decision.
    CrackBerry Genius

Between Realities

Global Posts
    11,669 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by antiRIM View Post
    One thing I think we can all agree on, adding BB support could not possibly lower there subscribers.

Simple as that.
    ...but could potentially increase its overhead without the requisite counterbalance of income.
    Between Realities

Global Posts
    11,669 Global Posts

From the article linked by Richardat:

While traditionally Netflix has adopted an ‘on every screen’ approach to their mobile apps, I’ve been told by my sources that the company has reevaluated its position following its recent financial troubles (you know, when Netflix announced it was splitting its DVD and streaming services, saw its stock nosedive, started bleeding subscribers, and reneged on the whole thing). Netflix discovered that the majority of its mobile users were already subscribers, which means that an ‘on every screen’ approach was simply incurring additional OPEX costs without gaining new customers. While this may simply be the cost for keeping subscribers happy on high volume platforms like iOS and Android, these costs make it much more difficult for Netflix to justify additional development on low volume platforms like the BlackBerry PlayBook.
    Seems like a business decision rooted in reality.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    192 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by the_game969 View Post
    Screw Netflix!
    Again why would i want Netflix, because the iPhone have it?
    @ Playbookster you just said it, Netflix is garbage in Canada.

People get over Netflix, people who want it have lots of time on there hands lol
    If RIM has the app for Netflix, i can tell you it will NEVER be installed on my new BB10!!!
    Between Realities

Global Posts
    11,669 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by onvisa View Post

People get over Netflix, people who want it have lots of time on there hands lol
    If RIM has the app for Netflix, i can tell you it will NEVER be installed on my new BB10!!!
    You should forward this note that clearly represents ALL RIM customers to Netflix ASAP.
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by onvisa View Post

IMO it is garbage in the US too. The only reason exists in my household is for my kid. Nothing but old movies that i am not interested in
    8830WE > 9650> Z10

PB 64GB
    Thanked by:
    mud314 (10-24-2012) 

Global Posts
    5,283 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6927F7

Quote Originally Posted by howarmat View Post
    Netflix actually has decent content in Canada now. It's probably worth the $8 a month just for Mad Men, Breaking Bad, and The Walking Dead.
    Thanked by 2:
    howarmat (10-24-2012),  xandermac (10-24-2012) 
    Rello, howarmat and Heisenberg like this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Don't know about it, don't get it, but while tech remains US centric, there is always a case for it. Take the market for successful technology away from consumerist America and there might be a case for not needing to worry about Netflix...or Skype for that matter.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast