Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By smoothrunnings
  • 1 Post By habs_fan
  • 1 Post By ibpluto
  • 3 Post By LordCrankypants
  • 1 Post By BadGoliath42
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,479 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default NEWS: Edward Snowden documents - CSEC used airport Wi-Fi to track Canadian travellers

CSEC used airport Wi-Fi to track Canadian travellers: Edward Snowden documents

"A top secret document retrieved by U.S. whistleblower Edward Snowden and obtained by CBC News shows that Canada's electronic spy agency used information from the free internet service at a major Canadian airport to track the wireless devices of thousands of ordinary airline passengers for days after they left the terminal..."

CSEC used airport Wi-Fi to track Canadian travellers: Edward Snowden documents - Politics - CBC News

I bet there will be some kind of document that comes out from Snowden that talks about BlackBerry giving the NSA and CSEC access to all of its devices!! If BlackBerry is reading this they better make sure this doesn't leak out or it's bye bye BlackBerry.
    CrackBerry User

Who cares it's Metadata, get over it. Funny how quickly people forget what happens when our intelligence agencies start doing their job like wussies.

Posted from my Q10 on the West Coast
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,479 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner24 View Post
    Who cares it's Metadata, get over it. Funny how quickly people forget what happens when our intelligence agencies start doing their job like wussies.

Deibert says metadata is "way more powerful than the content of communications. You can tell a lot more about people, their habits, their relationships, their friendships, even their political preferences, based on that type of metadata."

So is your metadata important to you?
    There use to be a time when the spy agencies like CSEC and the NSA wouldn't spy on it's own people instead they would spy on each others people and trade the information back and forth. If metadata consists of very little information I wouldn't see a problem with it, but its clear that most people aren't clear on the extent of what's truly inside the metadata.
    lotuslanderz likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,567 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6425E3

I personally think he's making things up now, he's out of the news and knows it, so nows he's making things up to try to get back into the headlines

Posted via CB10
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

people are funny. Follow me, take my info.I don't care anymore. My life is so incredibly boring that if it can give the NSA dude or gal checking into me a chuckle, at least I did something useful for the day.
    Thanked by:
    EchuOkan1 (02-10-2014) 
    EchuOkan1 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,990 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ibpluto View Post
    people are funny. Follow me, take my info.I don't care anymore. My life is so incredibly boring that if it can give the NSA dude or gal checking into me a chuckle, at least I did something useful for the day.
    Seriously. Who cares??
    Track me all day. It's your time spy guy...
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,479 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Quote Originally Posted by ibpluto View Post
    So you like the idea of people always watching your every move?
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,479 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Quote Originally Posted by habs_fan View Post
    I personally think he's making things up now, he's out of the news and knows it, so nows he's making things up to try to get back into the headlines

Posted via CB10
    What's been happening and a lot of people don't know this is Edward Snowden gave all the information to the Guardian he collected while working at the NSA. The Guardian in turn has been slowly leaking it out. Is it at the guidance of Snowden, who knows?
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by smoothrunnings View Post
    So you like the idea of people always watching your every move?
    Sure why not.....it'll be fun. gonna give them a wiggle every once in a while too.....

CB10'n it via da Z
    CrackBerry Addict

As the privacy commissioner said, meta data is not innocuous.

Quote Originally Posted by smoothrunnings View Post
    Deibert says metadata is "way more powerful than the content of communications. You can tell a lot more about people, their habits, their relationships, their friendships, even their political preferences, based on that type of metadata."

So is your metadata important to you?
    There use to be a time when the spy agencies like CSEC and the NSA wouldn't spy on it's own people instead they would spy on each others people and trade the information back and forth. If metadata consists of very little information I wouldn't see a problem with it, but its clear that most people aren't clear on the extent of what's truly inside the metadata.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    704 Global Posts

Oh? And pray tell, what happens? Do the scary terrorists blow us all up? Cuz its been shown multiple times that the NSA (and Canadian intelligence by extension) have not stopped a single credible threat based on electronic spying.

Funny how quickly people forget.

Personally I think we've gone past the point of no return. This spying will never stop, just become more intrusive and there's no amount of protests or legislation that can put an end to it. I've come to accept that fact, but that doesn't make any of it right. Just because I have nothing to hide, doesn't mean I want a peeping tom looking through my window at all times.

Posted via CB10
    Thanked by:
    Bold_until_Hybrid_Comes (02-11-2014) 
    CrackBerry Addict

Are we really that surprised? Using open WiFi is like having unprotected sex with a hooker. You never know what you're going to walk out with.

Nothing is free in this world.

JB

Posted from my brain to your screen via CBQ10
    If I've helped you or given you a healthy dose of reality, click the Like or Thanks button
    Thanked by:
    spikesolie (02-10-2014) 
    habs_fan, ALToronto and Vorkosigan like this.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,809 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LordCrankypants View Post
    Are we really that surprised? Using open WiFi is like having unprotected sex with a hooker. You never know what you're going to walk out with.

Nothing is free in this world.

JB

Posted from my brain to your screen via CBQ10
    Couple that with the fact that it's at an International airport and it makes more than a little sense that they'd be tracking the internet activity of those coming and going. It totally makes sense from a national security standpoint. Seems they are starting to "reach" now as the bulk of the shocking stuff is out.
    CrackBerry Genius

The metadata is more revealing than you realise. But let's not allow truth to cloud your vapid cheerleading of government snooping.

Posted via the BlackBerry Q5 using CB10.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    761 Global Posts

Government does it, and we're outraged. Google, a private company does it, and we embrace it. How do you think they can draw traffic maps on Google Maps? They follow your position continuously.

That is, Google is not the only one. Turnstyle was in the news just two or three weeks ago with the same exact Wifi-MAC address tracking system as the airport, with the objective of learning our customers habits.

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/technol...service=mobile

Posted via CB10 on my Z30
    L'erreur est humaine.
    To err is human.
    habs_fan likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,740 Global Posts

You're logging into a public WiFi, what the hell do you expect?

If they were tracking you through your carrier, that is one thing, but tracking through WiFi hot spot is like having security guards (or plain clothed CSEC ppl) there watching people.
    (Yes, they might not have gotten permission to use these WiFi networks, but if you open something up to people, it's not going to be secure.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    730 Global Posts

Don't people read even a single licence agreement for a free wifi network? Take 5 minutes and read it through - it says that your data will be monitored. That's what you agree to when you click 'I agree'. Don't like it - use the data plan on your BlackBerry or stop complaining about government (or anyone else) snooping on your online activities.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Abuser

All this stuff is great. Transparency, its the future and will change man in ways we yet can't imagine. The whole of the worlds social conscience to be brought together through the possibilities of technology. The other side of the equation is censorship and privacy, who really benefits from that? We all know where that leads. The day will come when technology will set man free from his own social chains.

Posted via CB10