Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,520 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default NewBay for sale ?

As per the following RIM may be looking to sell newly acquired NewBay.

RIM looking to sell NewBay | Electronista

RIM to shed cloud services provider as restructuring continues

Research in Motion is looking to divest itself of the cloud service provider NewBay, which it acquired only last year. Sources familiar with the BlackBerry maker's plans tell Reuters that the NewBay sale would be yet another step in the company's continuing effort to retool and address its steadily worsening market woes.

RIM initially acquired NewBay in October of last year for $100 million. NewBay's LifeCache service -- which allows users to upload and share photos and videos -- as well as its Social Networking Gateway -- which allowed for updating social sites from a central hub -- were RIM's main targets. The Canadian manufacturer hoped to fold these cloud services into its own BlackBerry operating system and products, thereby giving BlackBerry users a mature and robust cloud component.

The acquisition was also reportedly part of a plan to boost revenue by allowing carriers to use RIM's services across a range of other smartphones. Such a plan never materialized, though.

Since then, though, RIM's market position has continued to suffer. In the face of competition from Apple, Google, and others, the BlackBerry platform has underperformed, and the company's revenues have dropped precipitously. RIM has now delayed the release of its next BlackBerry handsets until the first quarter of next year, and the company has been trimming its workforce steadily in an effort to bring costs under control. Should the company sell NewBay, it would most likely be in pursuance of that goal.

By Electronista Staff

Read more: RIM looking to sell NewBay | Electronista
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    28BACDB3

if blackberry did sell the NewBay idea then what would they do with the money... im really excited about BB10 but if its going to take until next year i might as well stay with the blackberry ive got, and for apple 'apparently' carriers are telling people not to buy the iphone so whatever the market if doing it needs to sort it self out same with RIM and Samsung.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,174 Global Posts

If this true, it would a major step back. How will BlackBerry compete with other cloud offerings from Google and iCloud?

Unless there is a global strategic partnership with a large player, then this does not make sense and implies desparation to conserve cash for self preservation, a little longer.
    Evolution of Communication: Rotary Phone > Dial Tone > Motorola Walkie-talkie > Nokia 2160 > Nokia 6190 > Samsung a460 > Samsung a920 > BB 8700 > BB 9530 > BB 9860 > PlayBook > Z10 > HTC One X+>Z30
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,621 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by the_sleuth View Post
    If this true, it would a major step back. How will BlackBerry compete with other cloud offerings from Google and iCloud?

Unless there is a global strategic partnership with a large player, then this does not make sense and implies desparation to conserve cash for self preservation, a little longer.

There are tons of cloud services to use. They don't need to own one.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    amazinglygraceless (08-12-2012) 
    Retired Mod

PIN
    PIN:ky Tuscadero

Quote Originally Posted by D_March View Post
    My thoughts exactly.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,592 Global Posts

Yes, but unless they have their own, it won't be anywhere near as useful as offerings by Google and Apple. Other services are basically storage lockers for files, and that's it. Android and iOS cloud services offer a lot more, including complete backup of your device to streaming your own music to data syncing across multiple devices.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,714 Global Posts

And are the tons of cloud services available up to the same security standards that RIM would have had? I'm not saying that they are not, but in my case, having been the victim of identity theft before and seeing the years it took to clear my name and get back what was stolen for me, if I was going to use cloud services, I have to know that they have uncompromised security and quite frankly have security as their number one priority. At the moment, outside of RIM, I simply dont trust anyone else's security.
    The Z10 will be my last BB phone; switching platforms.
    Banned

I'm just thinking Heins realized it was a mistake to acquire newbay. They didn't acquire newbay under Heins, I believe. There must be an alternative they are planning on doing. I'm not too worried about it.
    Thanked by:
    CairnsRock (08-12-2012) 
    CDM76 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    2B7B5318

i agree with roo zilla...i understand they could use other cloud services but then i hope it provides some of the functionality that something like icloud does. taking a pic on my phone and having it instantly show up on my tablet would be a feature i would very much enjoy
    Yes I am black...and yes I LOVE grape Kool Aid. I can't blame u for judging me

- Durrell pin:2B7B5318
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    447 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Roo Zilla View Post
    Yes, but unless they have their own, it won't be anywhere near as useful as offerings by Google and Apple. Other services are basically storage lockers for files, and that's it. Android and iOS cloud services offer a lot more, including complete backup of your device to streaming your own music to data syncing across multiple devices.
    Like blackberry protect and BB Music? Yes they still have a ways to go with the music but I'd understand if it is not a priority.

If I remember reading correctly this is just a rumor, nothing official so a grain of salt will go a long way.

Personally I hope it's false, I'd love to see them bring the full life cache app to BB10
    r0v3rT3N likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    648 Global Posts
    PIN

Sigh... People will make a mountain out of a mole hill. They bought newbay, have integrated many of it's parts into BB10 OS and they don't need the rest. It's simple. Google Blackberry 10 'Share UI' and you'll get a glimpse of what is to come. In all honesty Blackberry was apart of the "cloud" before anyone was calling it the cloud. They've got the back end infrastructure already. Newbays aquisition has bolstered their efforts to make a more consumer friendly cloud service. BB10 will have the best cloud offering, one on par if not better than iOS's. Newbay is a big company Blackberry simply doesn't need all of it for their future goals. They don't want or need to micromanage a cloud service they simply wanted to get "in" with them to beef up their own offering.

BlackBerry 10 is not late. It's early. @JMZNVS @BBRYFLOW
    CDM76 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,592 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pcguy514 View Post
    Like blackberry protect and BB Music? Yes they still have a ways to go with the music but I'd understand if it is not a priority.

If I remember reading correctly this is just a rumor, nothing official so a grain of salt will go a long way.

Personally I hope it's false, I'd love to see them bring the full life cache app to BB10
    Please, BB Protect and BB Music are generations behind what Google and Apple offer. You can disagree, but I think most would say BB has a long way to go on both fronts.

Global Posts
    6,444 Global Posts
    PIN
    7901FC6B

Please, BB Protect and BB Music are generations behind what Google and Apple offer. You can disagree, but I think most would say BB has a long way to go on both fronts.
    What does Google offer that's similar to bbm music? Heck they don't even offer anything similar to bbm!
    Everyone, everyone, stop fighting! Look unto me! I possess the blue flag! I wield the power infinite! The universal fabric is mine to unravel! My every thought becomes reality! Mountains will fall! Seas will boil! Day will be at night! People will...run...chicks'll dig me!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,503 Global Posts

Even Google and other large companies use third party storage.

Game Changers: World's Largest Data Center Thrives in Desert - 8 News NOW

Rim can do the same.

Global Posts
    8,251 Global Posts

Please, your negativity for RIM shows through here completely.

BlackBerry Protect is fantastic, It is not a cloud solution it is a find my device, back up my device, wipe my device product. it does it as well as any other product on the market and is in no way behind other offerings.
    It holds one advantage being that it's ONLY job is to do those tasks which makes it a product you set up and hope to never need again, compromising it would be worthless as it is connected to no other services.

BBM Music, is like no other system out there, RIM yes has miles to go with it should they choose to not drop it, but it is completely different than iTunes/Google Music it is a social network for music within a social network, I don't have any supporting numbers but I'm confident a higher percentage of BlackBerry users used BBM Music over the failed social media experiments that Apple has tied into itunes.

Most people who don't use the services probably would agree with you, but people who don't use the services shouldn't really be commenting on the services it would be ignorant to do so.
    Last edited by deRusett; 08-12-2012 at 06:00 PM.
    oops...
    Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital. \
    CrackBerry Addict

two things for sure:

first, it is going to be a lot harder for RIM to innovate under their own name if they rely on a third party for cloud service.

second, whether they keep newbay or not, they are still late in the game. There is no RIM branded cloud on BB7 or QNX. This is a greater sign of lack of inovation in the consumer space and it has been like this for 4-5y. They seem to have turned the corner with BB10, but bad execution means still no QNX phone for sale, or comaptible phone hardware (BB7 phones not compatible).
    Jobs: the apps nazi
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    287D54A9

Every service provided by RIM is excelent... A wide service based in the cloud provided by RIM... With "everything included" (contacts, agenda, files, music, id's, payment cards, etc.) would be.... Top... At least...
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,592 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by deRusett View Post
    Please, your negativity for RIM shows through here completely.

BlackBerry Protect is fantastic, It is not a cloud solution it is a find my device, back up my device, wipe my device product. it does it as well as any other product on the market and is in no way behind other offerings.
    It holds one advantage being that it's ONLY job is to do those tasks which makes it a product you set up and hope to never need again, compromising it would be worthless as it is connected to no other services.
    Find the device; backup contacts, texts, calendar, bookmarks; wipe device. Yes, BB Protect does that. So basically it's a features for restoring your device or wiping it if you lose it. iCloud does all of the above. Does it do any of the following:

1. Restore all settings, including everything from the volume you have your ringer set for to the the wallpaper.
    2. Restore all apps. Not only restore them, but put them back exactly in the same place before the restore in addition to restoring all data stored in them including whatever settings you might have had.
    3, Restore all photos.
    4. I have iTunes match, which will also download all my playlists and list of all my music, which can be downloaded anytime.

Until a Blackberry can offer similar features in their "cloud" service, it's not in the same league.

BBM Music, is like no other system out there, RIM yes has miles to go with it should they choose to not drop it, but it is completely different than iTunes/Google Music it is a social network for music within a social network, I don't have any supporting numbers but I'm confident a higher percentage of BlackBerry users used BBM Music over the failed social media experiments that Apple has tied into itunes.
    I think you're referring to BBM Music, which is far different than what Google, Amazon, or Apple offer, and you're right it's a type of social networking. Real cloud music though, is storing your music and being able to access it anywhere, which is what Google, Apple, and even Amazon offers. I agree Ping is kinda stupid, but I'm also willing to bet more people use it than BBM Music.

Most people who don't use the services probably would agree with you, but people who don't use the services shouldn't really be commenting on the services it would be ignorant to do so.
    I used to have Blackberry on BES, which offered pretty much the same thing as BB Protect, and I used to replace my Blackberry quite often so frequently used it's restore function. Compared to what's available on Android and iOS, it's way behind. As of today, RIM doesn't offer anything close to Google's, Amazon's, or Apple's version of music in the cloud, where you upload YOUR music to the cloud, and access it anywhere. The main reason you want to use the cloud is to store YOUR stuff on it, telling people over BBM what songs you're listening to is not really that.
    kingbernie06511 likes this.

Global Posts
    8,251 Global Posts

@Roo Zilla

BlackBerry Protect is a solution for protecting ones data and device, hence it's name. It is excellent in what it does. It has room for improvement, but it isn't iCloud, RIM never claimed it to be iCloud, it is a cloud service to Protect your device.

I don't deny RIM is behind in Cloud service but saying BlackBerry protect is behind is the hate for RIM showing through.

And yes I am referring to BBM Music, because that is RIM's Music service.
    RIM doesn't have a cloud service for storage, no one is arguing that they do have, but the Services RIM offers are good. RIM needs more of them, but they aren't offering half a$$ed attempts they just don't offer it.
    oops...
    Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital. \
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    2,032 Global Posts

Why does everyone want RIM to be apple? I this, I that.
    CDM76 likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by stackberry369 View Post
    I dont think many of use want RIM to be Apple. Instead, we want them to be at least as good and innovative as Apple, preferably better, ideally in a different way to differentiate RIM/BB10 from Apple/iOS.
    Jobs: the apps nazi
    CrackBerry Geek

Global Posts
    33,543 Global Posts

Apple is not the only company offering that type of cloud service. Google's Google Drive and Microsoft's SkyDrive are very similar.

Global Posts
    8,251 Global Posts

I have no desire for RIM to be like Apple

that doesn't change that I want them to offer a cloud service.

BUT! IF I was to be the person in charge of RIM's cloud service I wouldn't do it the Apple or Google way.

I would be partnering up with the Carriers yet again. BlackBerry Cloud Service would tie into BIS, bringing users Webmail for their Carrier.BlackBerry.net address. Bringing them tiered storage options, the first being free, and the remainder being Billed through carrier.

Tied to your cloud storage solution is the External BlackBerry protect, an External BBM Music/ and BlackBerry Media Share service, an External Cloud Contact manager/Calendar,
    They would tie BBM Groups into the Cloud service allowing groups free shared space and the ability to buy more space.

RIM's Cloud Solution needs to add value to their BIS service to the Carriers by offering carrier billing but build on RIM's social networking, and dataflow management strengths.

I want A la carte Cloud services, and the choice to connect them.
    oops...
    CrackBerry Genius

If you listen to what Heins says at BB World's press session, it is clear that with limited resources and the need to cut costs, RIM doesn't want to be doing stuff that it's not really good at (media, BBM music, maps, etc.). That's the reason why they just licensed mapping solution from TomTom instead of building BB Traffic with the ex-Dash employees. If RIM is indeed trying to offload NewBay, it is likely they got a deal done with a big cloud provider (may be even MS) such that NewBay isn't really needed anymore.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,160 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hootyhoo View Post
    Even Google and other large companies use third party storage.

Game Changers: World's Largest Data Center Thrives in Desert - 8 News NOW

Rim can do the same.
    Yes but third party software (in this case storage) can compromise security and rim is all about security.
    Sent from my NEW PASSPORT or a soon to be BB10 PlayBook

- BlackBerry Curve 8530 (Virgin Mobile) - BlackBerry Bold 9900 (T-Mobile) - BlackBerry PlayBook 64 gig - BlackBerry Z10[/B] (T-Mobile) - BlackBerry Z30 WHITE (Unlocked) - Blackberry Passport (Unlocked)
    Darlaten likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast