Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 38 of 38
Like Tree36Likes
  1. 1REDRUM's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    349 Posts
    #26  

    Default Re: New York City Cell Phone Sevice Spotty in lower Manhattan.....But not for Blackberries?

    All I know is when I go to South Bend Indiana for a Notre Dame Football game and over 100,000 extra people are all texting, sending picture and calling all of their friends the whole network, including blackberry goes does. That being said my phone was roaming on ATT while some friends were roaming on another network (Tmobile maybe?) and there BB seem to work better. My point is when there is a lot of traffic on any network it can bog down.

    Thus one of the benefits to the carriers of compressed BB data.
  2. TRlPPlN's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    399 Posts
    #27  

    Default Re: New York City Cell Phone Sevice Spotty in lower Manhattan.....But not for Blackberries?

    emergency or not, it's proven that BB's work as it should in such different situations. and guess what, that's not stopping either in future bb10 handsets due to incorporating paratek technologies. the past dynamic numb nuts (maybe jim more since mike was the mike was the smart one?) were smart to acquire different companies that is going to take RIM to another level.
    Patiently waited for BB10. Now sporting AT&T Z10
  3. dentynefire's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,414 Posts
    #28  

    Default Re: New York City Cell Phone Sevice Spotty in lower Manhattan.....But not for Blackberries?

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeo007 View Post
    Seems like in a disaster situation, it would be common courtesy to reply to a plee for help. Anyway, I was just asking for examples, not for people to critique what I deem necessary.

    I've honestly almost never used BBM, and have never been in a situation where instant cellphone communication is necessary.
    @mikeo007 I wasn't critiquing you or criticizing you in any way, you asked for examples and my response is relative to the hurricane aftermath theme of this thread. Am I wrong?

    What you deem essential today can change tomorrow.
  4. mikeo007's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    4,140 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,517 Global Posts
    #29  

    Default Re: New York City Cell Phone Sevice Spotty in lower Manhattan.....But not for Blackberries?

    Quote Originally Posted by dentynefire View Post
    @mikeo007 I wasn't critiquing you or criticizing you in any way, you asked for examples and my response is relative to the hurricane aftermath theme of this thread. Am I wrong?

    What you deem essential today can change tomorrow.
    Sorry, seemed like you were making direct reference to me saying that I don't deem the "message read" notification necessary. Anyway, no harm, no foul.
  5. Stewartj1's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    929 Posts
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    #30  

    Default Re: New York City Cell Phone Sevice Spotty in lower Manhattan.....But not for Blackberries?

    While there are those who stubbornly refuse to see what is happening in real life in front of their own eyes, the fact remains that for many valid reasons PIN/BBM messages DO get through faster, more often and more reliably than any other platform.

    Argue all you like, but I've experienced this many times myself and the explanations are as obvious as they are sound so I know it's fact whereas the arguments against are arbitrary and speculative at best.
    Last edited by stewartj1; 11-03-2012 at 03:35 PM.
    Z10
    PlayBook 64
    Bold 9900
    Torch 9800 - retired
  6. Skeevecr's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,508 Posts
    #31  

    Default Re: New York City Cell Phone Sevice Spotty in lower Manhattan.....But not for Blackberries?

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeo007 View Post
    Seems like in a disaster situation, it would be common courtesy to reply to a plee for help. Anyway, I was just asking for examples, not for people to critique what I deem necessary.
    If the reply is the part of the two messages that goes missing with an sms you are stuffed, not the case with a bbm where the read confirmation is a much smaller amount of data to send back.
  7. Skeevecr's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,508 Posts
    #32  

    Default Re: New York City Cell Phone Sevice Spotty in lower Manhattan.....But not for Blackberries?

    One thing to bear in mind with SMS is that if things are congested enough, rather than keeping them to retry the carrier could simply dump them entirely as none of them have any kind of QoS on them beyond what is known as 'best-effort'
  8. #33  

    Default Re: New York City Cell Phone Sevice Spotty in lower Manhattan.....But not for Blackberries?

    There were two times quite recently where I experienced BBs getting messages through and other devices failing.
    At the time of the DC quake, an instant after it happened, I was able to get BBM messages back and forth to the UK. As I got to the evacuation site, I again got messages back and forth through BBM. That's when I noticed that people around me who were using iPhones and Android devices could not get through. Throughout the event, I was able to send and get messages through BBM. Others continued to try.
    The second recent event was this summer's derecho. I was able to keep in touch with family members and to the UK throughout the event. No problems at all. The iPhone and my Android device could not connect.
    For Hurricane Sally, I used the iPhone almost exclusively for voice simply because my BB was my last line of defence. I knew I could depend on that when the iPhone and the Skyrocket failed. My plan was that when the power went out, I would use the iPhone first since that would run out of battery first. Then the Skyrocket since I had a spare I could pop in. Last were the BBs as the last lifeline when all else failed.
    Thankfully my power outage wasn't very long.
    But BBM works when more reliably than anything else in extreme situations.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons; dragonslayers are crunchy, and good with ketchup
    Thanked by:
    Stewartj1 (11-03-2012) 
    Stewartj1, mikeo007 and recompile like this.
  9. belfastdispatcher's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    13,417 Posts
    PIN
    27F48177
    #34  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qbnkelt View Post
    There were two times quite recently where I experienced BBs getting messages through and other devices failing.
    At the time of the DC quake, an instant after it happened, I was able to get BBM messages back and forth to the UK. As I got to the evacuation site, I again got messages back and forth through BBM. That's when I noticed that people around me who were using iPhones and Android devices could not get through. Throughout the event, I was able to send and get messages through BBM. Others continued to try.
    The second recent event was this summer's derecho. I was able to keep in touch with family members and to the UK throughout the event. No problems at all. The iPhone and my Android device could not connect.
    For Hurricane Sally, I used the iPhone almost exclusively for voice simply because my BB was my last line of defence. I knew I could depend on that when the iPhone and the Skyrocket failed. My plan was that when the power went out, I would use the iPhone first since that would run out of battery first. Then the Skyrocket since I had a spare I could pop in. Last were the BBs as the last lifeline when all else failed.
    Thankfully my power outage wasn't very long.
    But BBM works when more reliably than anything else in extreme situations.
    It would be cool if editors could compile stories like this and stick them on the front page.

    Out of curiosity, did people around you notice how your BlackBerry kept working?
  10. #35  

    Default Re: New York City Cell Phone Sevice Spotty in lower Manhattan.....But not for Blackberries?

    Quote Originally Posted by belfastdispatcher View Post
    It would be cool if editors could compile stories like this and stick them on the front page.

    Out of curiosity, did people around you notice how your BlackBerry kept working?
    Since we all that BBs they knew that the BBs were working. Those with family members with BBs were also using BBM. Those with family members with other devices could not get messages to their families.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons; dragonslayers are crunchy, and good with ketchup
  11. gjohnsto's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    238 Posts
    #36  

    Default Re: New York City Cell Phone Sevice Spotty in lower Manhattan.....But not for Blackberries?

    When moving in and out of service (I go camping and skiing quite a bit), sender or receiver, I've found the r/d essential when trying to organize/meet up with people. I don't need a reply, just need to see if it has been delivered, or better yet, read (and vice-versa). For an emergency, I would think this would be doubly important.
  12. K Bear's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,275 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,335 Global Posts
    #37  

    Default Re: New York City Cell Phone Sevice Spotty in lower Manhattan.....But not for Blackberries?

    Please people. We are still reeling from the devastation here in the Northeast. There are so many people in my own town & many others that are suffering. If you cannot connect to RIM's servers & have no network signal, your BlackBerry is useless. My Pearl was as useful as a brick during the hurricane. My Vivid at least had a flashlight app that came in handy when we were running out of propane & batteries to power our lamps & flashlights. Also battery life means nothing if you cannot charge your device because you have no gas in your car because you ran out trying to keep warm & the gas stations are closed because they have electric pumps.
    (AT&T)Nokia 5110(2001)-->(Cingular)Nokia 6102i (2007)-->(T-Mobile) Blackberry Pearl 8120 (2008)-->(T-Mobile) Blackberry Bold 9700(2010)-->(T-Mobile) T-Mobile G2 (2010)--> (Sprint) HTC Evo 4G White (2011)-->(T-Mobile) T-Mobile G2 (2011)--> (AT&T) HTC Inspire 4G (2011)(AT&T)HTC Vivid (2012)-->(Verizon) Samsung Galaxy S III White
    ~K Bear~
  13. belfastdispatcher's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    13,417 Posts
    PIN
    27F48177
    #38  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by K Bear View Post
    Please people. We are still reeling from the devastation here in the Northeast. There are so many people in my own town & many others that are suffering. If you cannot connect to RIM's servers & have no network signal, your BlackBerry is useless. My Pearl was as useful as a brick during the hurricane. My Vivid at least had a flashlight app that came in handy when we were running out of propane & batteries to power our lamps & flashlights. Also battery life means nothing if you cannot charge your device because you have no gas in your car because you ran out trying to keep warm & the gas stations are closed because they have electric pumps.
    Open video camera/press space bar, presto, you have a flashlight on your Pearl.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Best Radio App to listen to WFAN in New York City?
    By thesandman215 in forum BlackBerry OS Apps
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 09-14-2010, 09:57 AM
  2. AT&T in New York City getting WORSE?
    By Sharke in forum AT&T
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 10-31-2009, 01:09 PM
  3. dBm ratio in new york city area
    By Atm0sphere in forum BlackBerry Tour 9630
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-14-2009, 05:45 PM
  4. Service in New York City sucked! Normal?
    By TheLastPanda in forum BlackBerry Bold 9000
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 04-29-2009, 11:04 PM
  5. Storm poster in New York City
    By new_ti_boston in forum BlackBerry Storm
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-07-2008, 04:41 PM

Posting Permissions